Is CyanogenMod any good?

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/google-failed-cyanogen-acquisition/
cmxlog.com/13/klte/
youtu.be/M_xD_SXYv3A
m.slashdot.org/story/314381
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, it's well supported I've used it on all 4 Android phones I've owned.

No

I give it an 8/10

I've used it for a few months and have no complaints.

Compared to stock, it gives you much more control over app permissions. Most builds do not include google apps by default and they can be flashed separately if you need them.

LOVE CM senpai

Since I installed cm13 on my moto Sup Forums 2013 I had the best performance and best battery life. No regrets

Yes.

[spoiler]why is it so hard to install[/spoiler]

Great ROM. Better than any stock trash.
The default apps are all pretty good. Supports customization more than stock trash.

Is this 2011?

Depends on your device. I'm running it on my 2nd gen moto g and it's rock solid while offering more performance and freedom than stock rom.

Google tried to buy it and they told them to fuck off.

It's great. Removes all the unremoveable crapware on your device.

I don't know if it can interfere with phone service or not, though. I use it on a SIMless phone.

i am using cm13 compiled by a turkistan
just fuck my shit up famalampai

is there other ROMS left?

You do realize that CM13 is a thing, right?

It absolutely isn't

Link?

By itself it's pretty barebones, but many great ROMs are based on it.

>select the zip in recovery
>press install
Damn, that was hard.
>5 times smaller than stock ROM
>offers more than stock ROM
You fucking bet it is. In the year fucking 2016 no OEM ROM allows you to switch tracks by long-pressing volume buttons. I'd use it if it had navbar resizing, so I'm using crDroid(but it's derived from CM) for now.

did the MM build got better with time? I tried it two months ago and it was shit in everything, way too nany bugs

I didn't have a link on hand so I googled it.
xda-developers.com/google-failed-cyanogen-acquisition/

I think it depends on the device. I installed it for a few weeks and found it lacked a couple of features I often used in stock rom. I ended up reverting back to stock rooted

CM support for S7 available?

Don't even bother checking CM for any Samsung past S3.

S4 and S5 are the last Samsung flagships that had CM support.

*why is installing it from a computer more difficult than installing it on your phone

>installing it from a computer
Is it even possible?

I have an old s4 laying around just as my two factor backup/private number.
Is there any benefit to install cyanogenMod on it really?

no touchjizz

OTA security update.

Not to be a tinfoil hat guy, but is it safe to have all my accounts logged into?

If you have a phone that's older than 2 years, don't even ask, you won't regret it.
>no bloat
>latest android updates
>pure android experience
S4 also has multirom support so you can install 2 roms on your phone, but I'm not sure of it'll work with stock

safer than stock with shit tons of security holes.

Use ADB sideload.

Anyone with a 1+1 have tried CM13?

The source code is there but how many will review it ? I'm not sure.
It's like trusting some linux distro for your pc.

Not the exact response you were looking for, but I would suggest not using your real name for your Google account. On CM and CM or AOSP based ROMs you always get security updates, given that your device is somewhat popular. The latest security patch was just a week ago and if you're on CM, you'll have it.

It's better than trusting Microsoft on their word.

It's alright. I wish there were more alternatives though.

don't a lot of devs make roms based off of cm? I feel like it would be checked pretty frequently with so many devs making new roms and basing it off of cm

I know nothing about software development, so please tell me if I'm seeing this wrong

Last time I did a buggy driver couldn't detect my phone in recovery.

I never knew you could flash anything from your phone..... I've always flashed via USB on PC.
It's quite tedious.

What is this flash on phone business?

>don't a lot of devs make roms based off of cm?
Yes.
But in the end, how much trust you're willing to compromise.
I'm okay with cyanogen and i'm okay with Debian.
So, i'm comfortable with trusting both but ymmv.

In tinfoil mode, you have to check the source code line by line and then compile it yourself.
Not sure how many are willing to go that far.

Install the twrp image from adb on your pc.
Then restart your phone into recovery mode, how you do this varies with each device.
Then just go into install, pick the zip file from your sd card and it will install it, then reboot, youll get the blue logo and your in

the only thing you should be afraid of is cyanogen based roms, not cyanogen itself. Nobody checks source of "feel the curry rom 1.0.2" posted by some pajeet

>tinfoil mode
>owning a phone
Every phone has a separate CPU with a separate firmware in their radio module, and it has full access to phone's RAM(at least). You can't remove that botnet.

>tfw using CM13 on my S5
>tfw it will get official CM14 builds

I Do already, but I would need to be logged into google, steam etc. So cm isn,t going to botnet at send passwords around

What's the correct way to dealing with nightlies?
Do you flash any new build or just once a week/month?
I'm having problems with random reboots but I don't know which release should I install, the only difference is release date, no milestones release for my device
I don't want to try all and then never update because it could broke again

Same here. I'm actually using Resurrection Remix. I'm not so sure about Android N though.

How is resurrection remix? I have heard of it before but never tried it. I might flash it just to try if it's 6.0.1, thoigh.

Flash whenever there's a security patch or flash it there are some important bug fixes. Having a nandroid backup is also recommended.

Suggestion for a backup manager app?
Possibly from froid, I'm just using twrp now.
Also anybody knows where android save system logs? Phone keeps rebooting with not way to know why

It's the best ROM for the S5 in my opinion. I've had problems with AICP, Blisspop and other ROMs and my CPU would reach 50°C just from browsing and watching videos. I guess there's something wrong with the kernel AICP and Blisspop were using. Resurrection Remix gave me the best battery life, it's smooth as it gets and the phone is noticeably cooler. If you're using Viper4Android, it's easier to install it on RR than on CM. As far as backup solutions go, I would recommend Titanium backup for apps and a nandroid backup for the overall ROM backup.

How do I know about security patches and how do I only apply them? I'm just asked from time to time about the regular updates. I mostly hold them back for some time because two of them made my phone crash constantly.

Yes, still my daily. Rock solid, but I'm still running the last published CM 12.1 build.

Tried 13 on other devices and there was some weird WiFi bug where it would never connect again (to ANY WiFi) if you failed to sign in to a captive portal.

Just make sure to stay up to date on radio firmware for maxx stability and cellular/BT/WiFi performance.

There are changelogs for every build, take a look in the cyanogenmod website

The last CM 12.1 nightly, that is.

thanks

It can give you a huge performance boost compared to stock android. It did for me at least.

what I'd like to know is where that fucking installer. used that thing a few years ago for my S3, installing was a breeze, now there are no links around for it and any forums I looked at people are saying that the installer never existed pretty much. what the fucking shit where is it

You can't apply security patches by themselves. When you flash a nightly which has them built in, you'll get them. Visit this site and check for pic related and that's how you'll know when there's a new security patch.

Forgot the link: cmxlog.com/13/klte/

>install recovery
>download zip
>flash zip from recovery
>done
What's the problem? You can't unlock your bootloader?

I can, but I never needed to when the installer was around. I'm really curious though, where did it go?

I just got an LGK10

>tfw it cannot currently be rooted

Just install manually once and then when an update come out you can flash it directly from the updates settings, it automatically reboots to recovery and installs

Can you explain? I'm getting a new phone and cyanogen support is the deciding factor between the s5 and the oneplus 3 ?

Is cyanogen really crap on the s5?

No, CM is great but only for the S4 and the S5. Go watch some reviews, if you don't believe me.

You install then whenever they want.

Any update you do basically wipes your /system/ partition, keeps the files the addon.d scripts are set to back up and flashes the new files.

You can even go whole months without updating and have a properly working system after you update.

I'm using CM12 on my 4 year old phone (HTC One XL) and it works great.

How's PA doing? There's a build for my phone by a really dedicated dev, but the last time I checked there wasn't that many features. All I need is quick settings customization, switching tracks by volume buttons, resizeable navbar and brightness regulation by swiping the statusbar.

I had CM12 on my Nexus 4 for a few days, way nicer than what Google puts by default on it. Currently on 5.1.1 though planning to install CM13 (didn't know stable version was out).

>snowden
>2016
>still using phones
Are you seriously retarded or do you live where phone is a mandatory?

>he actually believes stable versions are stable
Just use the fucking nightlies.

>or do you live where phone is a mandatory?
Yes, in 2016 as you mentioned

I need a retard proof guide to install this shit on my samsung s2, I looked around online but I only found guides on how to do it from a PC and it seems people are saying it's easier to do it only from your phone, any help?

>Are you seriously retarded or do you not live in isolation in a cave near a mountain peak?
Uh... really makes you think...

Still android, so no.

Hello there, what version of the S5 do you have?

A friend of mine is still stuck on 5.0.1 lollipop stock, and it wont update to MM

But the guy is retarded and cant figure out how to get CM13 on it, hes got the G900f i think?, the first version thats international.

Thanks and many shekles will come to you my friend.

1 poo has been deposited to your hands.

Not that guy, but I assume he has the SM-G900F. Here's a tutorial for your friend: youtu.be/M_xD_SXYv3A

Actually is easier from a PC assuming you are not retarded and use a gnu/Linux OS when you can find adb and fastboot in the distro repository

Considering all OEM flash tools/exploits/other tools are Windows only and adb and fastboot are just as easy to use on Windows, Linux is a poor choice to tinker with your phone.

I don't put anything of value in my phone. Use it for calls, maps, music, etc. No mails, no passwords.

Well, I suppose if you are going to use custom ROMs you have to buy a nexus, moto or other unlockable phone
Don't need drivers, just works
Also you can't install custom drivers anymore on new windows versions, it was a pain in 8 and in 10 will not even be possible.
For rooting a chinkphone I had to use winxp because 7 was not supported

In 8 and 10 the procedure is identical - you boot with driver signature enforcement disabled, install that driver once and you're done.

thanks, ill link my friend that

This. First I thought that battery stats were fucked but no, battery life time was just that good on CM 13 compared to lollipop.

tfw my moto g 2013 "died" from the wifi MAC bug

couldent get it fixed, not even going to stock worked.

Now it wont even boot anything but stock 4.4.4

fairly sure the eMMC and wifi chip are both skullfucked

Not for long m8 m.slashdot.org/story/314381
I doubt chinks will reach Microsoft to sign their drivers

forgot img

Yeah, on the first 2 months the new storage model was shitting everywhere

Yes, but only if your phone:
-has shit custom android by the manufacturer
-is getting old

Vanilla android / decent manufacturer android is good enough in 99% of cases.

The real problem with privacy are the apps and carriers

Why settle for "good enough" when you can have "great"?

Yup, I've used it ever since I got my first Android phone and good CM compatibility is the main thing I look for when buying a new phone.

Bullshit, got MM on my first gen Moto E flawlessly