Windows 10 upgrade questions thread

Hello Sup Forums, I have a couple questions for you today. I've seen that after the new anniversary update a bunch of cool shit was added to Wangblows 10 like magically running Linux applications (gcc for example) natively and that it magically improved performance in badly optimized gaymes. I currently run Windows 7 Enterprise edition with no updates installed since 2011 since I think they're all botnet. Now, here are my questions:

>Should I just upgrade from Windows 7 or perform a clean install?
>Are there any plausible advantages (speed or otherwise) over Windows 7?
>Is it heavier or lighter than Windows 7?
>Can the spyware be totally and completely removed until it contains about as much spyware as Windows 7 does?
>Last time I installed the Windows 10 technical preview (or whatever it was called) it just seemed like some monkey shat out a combination of Windows 7 code and windowed versions of Windows 8 ui, is that still so?
>Last time I installed I also noticed that the settings weren't all in once place (that is, the control panel in Windows 7) but were fractured among a bunch of different retarded settings application, some of them using metro
>Can metro be completely removed?
>How good is the Linux compatibility? Does it run without issues? Can I use bash on it?

>inb4 tech support
Just trying to start a discussion on if it is worth it or not.

who fucking cares

I aunt reading all that Shit, but you always want to do a fresh install

>who fucking cares
I thought I was on Sup Forums not Sup Forums

>I aunt reading all that Shit
>I can't into grammar
kill yourself

On a phone, deal with it, nigger.

Linux compadibility is crap
Clean-install windows for the lowest possibility of fuck-ups
Then nuke the partition and install gentoo

Whatever you get paid for this, it's too much.

>deal with it
>nigger
>d-do I f-fit in yet g-guys?

>why does asking about Windows 10 make me a shill

>with no updates installed since 2011
You are a complete fucking idiot. You are the reason Microsoft is forcing updates now. Remove yourself from the gene pool.

>makes a thread that is perfectly suited for the sqt
How long have you been here? Why should anyone help you? Fuck off, retard

>install security update
>we just need to install this keylogger to make sure you're secure goy

Fuck off idiot, and take your paranoid delusions with you.

>Windows is not botnet
>you're delusional goy
thanks for your input chaim

>Security updates
You mean ads

this

literally no ads

unfortunately the linux subsystem has filesystem incompatibilities. files created in it may not work outside of it and vice versa.

What the fuck are you smoking? I want some too!

bumperino

>I thought I was on Sup Forums not Sup Forums
Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

god FUCKING DAMMIT

I literally just upgraded half an hour ago
when i booted it up afterwards, it went to login screen, my usual colour has now changed to hot pink ... first weird sign
then i log in and it goes to a 640x480 grey screen with nothing on it, just a mouse, i can't do anything
after two hours trying to sort it out i'm having to reset the PC which means all my programs are uninstalled, including games, since those were on the same SSD as the OS

not to mention i have a bunch of design/CAD software that's a pain to reinstall and activate all over again
just so this fucking PC can get some shitty ink workspace (which is shit, just stickynotes with pen input) and a few calendar tweaks and shit.

OP, don't get windows 10, it seriously takes away a lot of the freedom to just change and fix shit yourself that you get in 7. I regret it now. It's got a lot of improvements but under the hood it's just shit piled on top of more shit and there's so many bugs and glitches - before you might be able to search a forum or something, make some registry tweaks, fix it yourself and feel accomplished. nowadays it's just "something went wrong :(" and your pc is resetting.

this may be the year i finally switch to loonix just to have an alternative.

>Should I just upgrade from Windows 7 or perform a clean install?
Clean install is always better.
>Are there any plausible advantages (speed or otherwise) over Windows 7?
Stability and security are considerably improved.
>Is it heavier or lighter than Windows 7?
Heavier. Depending on your hardware, it's not really all that noticeable for the most part. The anniversary update does have some retarded performance issues, though.
>Can the spyware be totally and completely removed until it contains about as much spyware as Windows 7 does?
No.
>Last time I installed the Windows 10 technical preview (or whatever it was called) it just seemed like some monkey shat out a combination of Windows 7 code and windowed versions of Windows 8 ui, is that still so?
Yes.
>Last time I installed I also noticed that the settings weren't all in once place (that is, the control panel in Windows 7) but were fractured among a bunch of different retarded settings application, some of them using metro
This is still the case.
>Can metro be completely removed?
No. The name for that bullshit now is UWP, and it's going to stay.
>How good is the Linux compatibility? Does it run without issues? Can I use bash on it?
It's fine. Yes. Yes.

Everything said, the Anniversary update has turned out to be total fucking dogshit compared to the 1151 build. If you really want bash, just install Linux on a separate partition.

>I currently run Windows 7 Enterprise edition with no updates installed since 2011 since I think they're all botnet.
Not sure why I'm even replying after reading this, but oh well...

>>Should I just upgrade from Windows 7 or perform a clean install?
Clean install.
>>Are there any plausible advantages (speed or otherwise) over Windows 7?
Some very minor shit like native iso mounting, and dx12. Also some disadvantages, like no ability to disable DWM, ads, bloat, telemetry.
>>Is it heavier or lighter than Windows 7?
Heavier, but it shouldn't be an issue for new PCs.
>>Can the spyware be totally and completely removed until it contains about as much spyware as Windows 7 does?
No.
>>Last time I installed the Windows 10 technical preview (or whatever it was called) it just seemed like some monkey shat out a combination of Windows 7 code and windowed versions of Windows 8 ui, is that still so?
Yes, the UI is still a mess. Slightly less than before, but it still needs a year or two of polishing.
>>Last time I installed I also noticed that the settings weren't all in once place (that is, the control panel in Windows 7) but were fractured among a bunch of different retarded settings application, some of them using metro
Yes, still the case. You're also forced to use Group Policy more than before to disable stuff.
>>Can metro be completely removed?
No, it's an essential part.

Overall: Avoid Windows 10 right now, unless you have a good reason to use it (you probably don't). The pros/cons balance is just not in its favor.

I'll use Windows 10 once they have been forced by courts of law to give legitimate ways to turn off all of the datamining.

For now until then I am happy using Ubuntu.

How much space does windows 10 use?
>default installation (from official iso)
>how slim can it get

Also which distro is best and how do they affect disk usage?

I recently downgraded back to 8.1 because despite the better UI it's an unstable (and likely to stay that way) operating system underneath that offers you less and less choices with each update, some which can potentially fubar your system without warning.

A clean 64 bit install uses something like 12gb (at least that's how much it uses in my case, using the iso provided by MS). This doesn't consider the page and hiber files.
If you don't use uwp apps, you can delete those and recover about 1gb. This involves gaining ownership of the folder where these apps install, the usual uninstall method does not remove the files.