Torrentz Shuts Down, Largest Torrent Meta-Search Engine Says Farewell

> Founded in 2003, Torrentz has been a stable factor in the torrent community for over 13 years.

With millions of visitors per day the site grew out to become one of the most visited torrent sites, but today this reign ends, as the popular meta-search engine has announced its shutdown.

A few hours ago and without warning, Torrentz disabled its search functionality. At first sight the main page looks normal but those who try to find links to torrents will notice that they’re no longer there.

Instead, the site is now referring to itself in the past tense, suggesting that after more than a decade the end has arrived.

“Torrentz was a free, fast and powerful meta-search engine combining results from dozens of search engines,” the text reads.

The site’s user are no longer able to login either. Instead, they see the following message: “Torrentz will always love you. Farewell.”

TorrentFreak was contacted by one of the operators of Torrentz earlier today, who prefers not to comment at the moment. It’s clear, however, that another major torrent site is shutting down, leaving a gaping hole.

Torrentz itself never hosted any torrent files but did have a takedown procedure in place, allowing copyright holders to take down infringing links.

Not all rightsholders were happy with the site though. Both RIAA and MPAA have reported the site to the U.S. Government in recent years, which repeatedly placed it its annual “Out-of-Cycle Review of Notorious Markets.”

Other urls found in this thread:

metasearch.torrentproject.com/
torrentscan.com/
github.com/sergiotapia/magnetissimo
torrentz.filespook.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Literally who cares, there's already a copy that works better.

Which is?

First KAT now this.

Torrent Project

Shit, this was my go-to torrent search engine. Sad to see it gone.

Looks like a good enough replacement. Thanks, user.

torrentproject.se isn't a meta-search engine.

Next the jews are coming for Rarbg

Supossedly, they're working on one though.
metasearch.torrentproject.com/

stop being manchild(s) and grow the fuck up

television and games are for kids

That site had been up for a long time but it's dead now, says "Down for maintenance..." but I'm pretty sure it's history at this point.

All the torrent search engines are basically quaking in their proverbial boots right now so, expect more to disappear soon.

Interesting. I used that one before, but didn't know they were affiliated with the .se website. Different logo and all.

>using public torrents

Why are you retards even on Sup Forums?

is RARBG next?

>being an elitist about a private tracker

you were the kid in HS who thought he was better because he browsed Sup Forums, weren't you?

>he thinks private trackers are no different than public

what a poor uninformed young man

You're a fucking retard.

Go back to your containment thread.

get lost ratio cuck.

>yfw torrenting is kill

>1. Belonging to, concerning, or accessible only to an individual person or a specific group.
>2. Not accessible by the public.

>public cucks getting mad that all their sites are dying

its ok just pay for usenet

Now you know how it felt when kazaa went down back in the day.

Once again - back to your circle jerk

>public trackers dying

I told you fuckers to go private

Like I could.

I can't dawg. I can't.

What do you think the /ptg/ thread is for? Everybody can if they want.

Did torrentz host any actual torrents to copyrighted material? Or did it merely make it easier to access the torrents?

Because if option 2 is correct then they might aswell shut down the Tor project and the Zeronet project and any other thing like that couldn't they?

I'm not sating the autism of some private tracker elitist with their long ass interviews about shit that I don't give a damn about.

Then enjoy your tracker whack-a-mole, kiddo.

You will cry when The Pirate Bay finally kicks the bucket, and then kill yourself when the others follow.

>2016
>Using proprietary rar over zip

Where can I buy private tracker invites? Pls

To be honest i wont miss torrentz as much as i should. It was always filled with spam/fake/malware torrents. Not that that was a problem

I use rutracker.

But shitposting on imageboards is for sophisticated adults?

thanks to windows 10 users (idiots)

I love when public retards get pwned

you're wrong

When you pay for shit, the point of torrenting is lost.

These public retards will have to pay when all their public trackers die.

I guess that helps you cope with your obligation to seed and spend money so you can sleep at night.

yeah i forgot google, the most obvious.

Spend money on what? I seed from my router with a hard drive attached to it.

>looking for some alternative websites
>stumble upon this torrentscan.com/

It literally displays a few black words on white background. Look at the page's source.

>modern websites

What do anons think of this?

github.com/sergiotapia/magnetissimo

A waste of time.

did you really need that screenshot to be that big

Why the fuck do you guys care about the lowest of the low hanging fruit being reaped?

Are you really that inept to care whether a torrent tracker for mom, dad and grandpa gets shut down?

post magnet links on usenet?

Are you really that inept to not know that torrentz was a meta-search engine for various torrent indexes, not an actual torrent tracker?

Yeah but who cares about public trackers.

It's still low hanging fruit.

Employed people

Nigga thats why you were supposed to get set up on PTs long before you got a job.

real losses to torrent community:
suprnova
mininova (pre-2009)
axxo

literally who cares:
KAT
torrentz

Axxo died along that shitty divx encoder and everyone forgot about both when x264 came along. How the fuck was axxo a loss lmao.

he released a shit load of movie torrents and unlike yify he didn't release them at a retarded resolution for the small file size.

7 years later his releases are still often the most seeded ones unless the movie got released by yify too.

also who cares: yify

Congratulations, you found a tracker. Not a torrent tracker, but an actual -tracker-.
Not that you should be worried--if you have adblock, as trackers are embedded in millions of blog sites everywhere.

Kat was the current top indexer like suprnova and mininova before it.

Torrentz was at least looking like one of the pillar fall backs in the immediate post kat era.

If this keeps up I might have to suck some neckbeard's dick for a private tracker

Denuvo + torrent sites getting taken down makes for some interesting things.

Maybe piracy will return underground once more.

KAT was shit and was only used because TPB was unreliable in up time. first time i bothered with KAT was when TPB went down at the end of 2014. hell, even wikipedia confirms this.
>The site was the most visited torrent directory on the World Wide Web from 2003 until November 2014, when KickassTorrents had more visitors according to Alexa.[24]
as soon as TPB was up i dropped KAT.

i never really cared for torrentz since i'd rather directly search the torrent websites i know.

Yeah it only forwarded to other sites and nothing else. Come to think of it, doesn't Google do that also?

how to search rutracker?

Luckily I saw this coming and already downloaded enough music, movies, TV, anime, manga, books, and games to last me for the rest of my life. Anything more I'm able to get is just gravy.

it is now

thanks goy :D

Webdev here. I'd like to work on the next generation of torrent indexing/metasearch site, but there are two major problems with the idea of such a project:

* Developments like this require large sums of money. End-user torrenters won't stump this up, so that leaves shady advertising as the sole possible source of income. There's little motivation to work on something like this and then ruin it with ads.

* It would need to be done entirely anonymously, preventing me from listing it on my CV and creating a gap in work history.

This makes me mad not because they are shutting down a site but companies are trying to take over the Internet censoring everything bloating every site with advertisements. I miss the simple pre 2000 Internet it was such a blast an Internet without influence from global players.

Can Youtube ads even be disabled anymore? Fuck they are annoying.

Is that I joke?

I had them disabled once but they changed something and it came back.

Good one!

Update you blocker you idiot

> * Developments like this require large sums of money.
Why?

What the fuck are you even doing on a tech board? Posting desktop threads?

Because he's fishing for normalfags here to donate to his "development of the next great thing".

KYSMM

Random question, no need to overanalyze it.
Nah, it was some other trick. I've never even bothered with an addon.

>overanalyze
Something tells me I hit the nail right on the proverbial head.

They consider it "Facilitating the access to illegal material"

I don't know what you even on about now. Jog on boy.

Sure thing, Mr. "Can you even block ads on Youtube?!?!"

do a kickstarter

I used some much harder way to disable it originally, not addons. So, maybe suck my dick now or something?

>I used some much harder way
That you don't remember?

Protip: editing the hosts file isn't hardcore, buddy.

If something is to be built, generally professionals must be paid to build said thing. The only people truly capable of working for free are the independently wealthy and teenagers.

God no. I mentioned it as something that would interest me to work on, not as something I realistically think could happen.

Well, an unconventional way anyway. Not hardcore. Maybe to you hardcore is going out and not stuttering in front of a stranger.

Dude, just stop posting.

Calm the estrogen outbursts next time. I'm not your mother.

>If something is to be built, generally professionals must be paid to build said thing.
Thank god noscript spares me from you webdev retards

Disregard the Sup Forums super awesome tech guru's

Yes they don't show up if you use a modern version of adblock
Preferably ublock origin,works really well.

What browser you sporting?

I did say "generally", user. I'm aware that there is plenty of no-catches FOSS available. But if you have a specific idea and don't have the time to do it yourself, you almost certainly will need to pay people.

Firefox, and thanks for the recommendation. Going to use that now.

Ya know, it is a big coincidence...

What we need is a decentralized torrent search engine and database. Store magnet links, ratings, and comments on the users hard drive and enable others to search this distributed database.

Any coders here who could pull this off? One idea I had is piggybacking off of the BitTorrent DHT to make it easier to find nodes and remove the hassle of getting a DHT network up and running with enough users.

No. Still w3rks:

torrentz.filespook.com/

user, .rar can be extracted with completely free software...

Isn't that what BTFS is attempting to accomplish? I haven't read up on it in a while, but I could have sworn that that's what they were hoping to accomplish.