Firefox is now multi-process

Are we e10s yet? Yes we are.
Electrolysis (e10s) is experimental multi-process mode for Firefox. Right now it's available in the Aurora (Developer Edition) and Nightly update channels. mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/developer/all/

To turn e10s on, open about:config and change layers.async-pan-zoom.enabled to true, and dom.ipc.processCount to a value greater than 1 (this is how many processes the browser will be allowed to spawn for your tabs, so make it 100+ if you have RAM to spare).
After you do that, restart Firefox. Now it will consume your RAM faster than Chrome!

Note for Firefox users: there is a slightly laggy compatibility layer for extensions that are not e10s-compatible. It's enabled by default; if you wish to turn it off and see which extensions stop working, change both extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons and extensions.e10sBlocksEnabling to false.

Note for AdBlock Plus users: APB is deprecated, use uBlock Origin instead. It works a lot faster, is e10s-compatible and has a lot more filters to choose from.

Other urls found in this thread:

addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Now it will consume your RAM faster than Chrome!

wut.

is there any way to figure out which addon blocks e10s usage?
I don't really want to force enable it, but rather want to know which one is blocking it.

I switched extensions.e10sBlockedByAddons and extensions.e10sBlocksEnabling to false and now e10s works, but none of my extensions seem to have stopped working.

Bah nevermind, sadpanda stopped working

It's actually only two processes.

Pic related. Chromium based browsers consume less RAM than multiprocess FF.
I dunno, probably no way as of yet.
Well, you're relatively lucky. Almost half of mine refused to work.
Are you sure your dom.ipc.processCount isn't set to 2 or 1?

Chrom* users BTFO
addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/

With memory optimizations that opera guys came up with FF will have a long way to go when it comes to memory consumption. FFs last saving grace as that it was running single process. It was slower and less responsive but in some extreme cases way better on memory. If Mozilla really wants to go fully multi process then days of FF being least memory intensive browser are over.

i thought sadpanda stopped working beacause exhentai switched to https

Tried this out w/32g ram

Loaded up a tumblr page archive with a bagillion animated gifs to test load, lightning fast.

Checked ps aux and kek, FF grabbing all the resources.

Nice but still no sandbox, so can't leave Jewggle Chromium

Note, e10 only offers partial sandboxing where processes are isolated from each other there's no 'real sandbox' protecting the underlying system from the browser.

Running the latest nightly on XP; I was able to use e10s a couple of years ago, but oddly, I'm not able to use it now.

You can turn it off. And firefox never fit that bill.

Let's trust Mozilla to make Firefox great again.
Firefox doesn't need extension sandboxing because Mozilla has a better policy against potentially malicious extensions, and webpage sandboxing wasn't ever necessary for security, there's NoScript and ad blockers.
Now that's odd. You can try force-enabling e10s:
browser.tabs.remote.force-enable -> true
extensions.interposition.enabled -> false extensions.interposition.prefetching -> false

What is the pros of doing multiprocess? Crash-resistance? Better multicore optimization?

Yeah, both.

Both. When one tab lags or crashes, others don't.

I don't have the first value, do I have to create it or anything?

The rest were there, though.

Works on my machine (tm)
Maybe they changed something in latest Nightly builds, or it's not compatible with XP anymore. Have you tried Developer edition?

...Wait, why is your browser.tabs.remote.autostart is set to false? Try setting it to true. Also there might be a "Open a new e10s window" in your File menu.

e10s is cancer

disabled both "e10sBlockedByAddons" and "e10sBlocksEnabling" and I'm still getting this. I guess I just need to hope whichever addon is causing this will be updated.

Try this too:
browser.tabs.remote.force-enable -> true
extensions.interposition.enabled -> false
extensions.interposition.prefetching -> false

I'm gonna restart and post whether it works or not.

Nah, it doesn't.

Thanks, anyway.

Speaking of browsers, I need something super light weight so that I can have open stream on twitch while playing games. Only 4GB of ram so that's why. I tried midori or something and it uses like 50% of my CPU for some reason.

Livestreamer plus a media player of your choice (well, maybe not *any* player, but mpv and VLC will work for sure)
Or youtube-dl with mpv.

>using a browser to stream video
why.jpeg

No I am not streaming using a browser. I need the stream open while I am playing so I can see what fucks up. As in, WATCH the stream.

kek been using multi-process for months and you come here posting as if it's something new

Who's gonna audit it

(You)
Or anyone, most extensions are open source. There's a report button, too.

but i dont want to switch from abp to ublock ;-;
The UI feels alot more complicated. is there a way to use it while still keeping no-script/request policy?

> i dont want to switch from abp to ublock
DO IT! JUST DO IT! I mean seriously, you're not gonna regret it.
Most non-e10s extensions will work, but a bit slower than if you'd disable them.

ublock origin is the right one? i mean does it work with request policy and no script?

> ublock origin is the right one?
Yes.
> does it work with request policy and no script?
Dunno about request policy, but NoScript is not e10s-compatible, but Firefox has some weird magic to enable non-e10s-compatible extensions without disabling multi-process functionality.

>After you do that, restart Firefox. Now it will consume your RAM faster than Chrome!

Also be sure to use 64-bit Firefox, just in case.

The addon developer is an active reddit user who is very friendly and responsive.

>does it work with request policy
you can use ublock origin as request policy, and to block scripts by default too:
github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Blocking-mode