Programming jobs suck dick

Programming jobs suck dick.
Web dev jobs suck.
IT probably sucks less because it's easy.

Is the path to happiness a slacker job?

Why does working suck so much dick.

Other urls found in this thread:

wallstreetplayboys.com/follow-your-skills-not-your-dreams/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_finance
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Go work in some coal mines

Why would I do that? I already know working sucks.

Go suck dick

so that you know what actual hard work is

become amish

>go to IT trade show
>90% middle aged men with soft bodies and guts hanging over their belts
>all leading meaningless suburban lives

this isn't what i signed up for

this is exactly what i signed up for

That sounds pretty great desu senpai

Life sucks dick senpai

You're just lazy.

just make an indie video gaem and become rich :^)

I hope so, I gave up on the idea of getting a CS job a couple weeks ago. Just gonna settle for IT since that's all I can probably get anyway.

Don't have anything really to put on my resume though.

That doesn't make programming jobs suck any less.

There are plenty of devs that enjoy their job.

You're just a bitter loser.

just get a sysadmin job,
do nothing all day and just chill

CIA?

Only children and autistics desu.

elaborate further

He does look like a pretty big guy...

>Sysadmin
>your job is to fix shit when it breaks, and implement new things when needed
>do things right the 1st time so they don't break
>spend the day waiting for shit to break

The biggest thing is to figure out a platform and market that you enjoy working in. I don't believe anybody likes every kind of programming job… there's a niche for every kind of programmer. It is however entirely possible that you just hate programming entirely, in which case you should look at other fields.

For instance, I think I would probably go batshit insane if my job were to build enterprise applications in Java for the glacial corporate market. It'd drain my soul and I'd hate my job. This is why I instead work for companies in the consumer sector, where the products are far more interesting, the technology is always moving, and I can use languages I enjoy working with.

TELL ME ABOUT THE CIA GUY
WHY DOES HE WEAR THE CARGO PANTS

you're joking but this is my dream

There are 2 reasons why you would thinkthat
> A:The hardest work you ever did or saw was playing with your own nuts
> B:You are straight up retarded and simply not qualified for the jobs

Yeah, programming can be boring sometimes but so are the majority of the other jobs. But at least you get paid decently and you dont have to work in conditions that would make Auschwitz look like summer camp

>programming is boring
The solution is to make it interesting. Make the next big virus that devastates the world.

Wow, so apparently if you enjoy programming, you are autistic.

These are the swag bros that are infesting CS / software development now. Jesus christ lord have mercy on us.

>another failed CS student who wasn't good enough to even get a web dev job

Tbh senpai you couldn't project harder. There are plenty of people (myself included) who love their jobs programming. Also sucking dick isn't too bad of a job, you might like that. Kinda sucks dick though

The problem is that creating anything for someone else is naturally degrading, draining, sluttery. There's no solution to it.

>Why does working suck so much dick.
Your parents probably didn't require much of you growing up, so you never had to work for anything.

That's why it's a good idea to have kids work fast food or something similar for a first job. It shows you that you'd rather not do that for the rest of your life.

>degrading
>sluttery
Only because you have been preconditioned by a lifestyle of gaming that you think work is this sinister thing

Working fast food or some shitty job as a kid is way funner than working as an adult.

Well yeah, since you likely don't work more than 25 hours a week and get to use that money for whatever you want.

Still, just spending a few summers at Taco Bell with some sad individuals was a strong motivator to move my life along.

Programming is not for everyone, and it's an overheated market.

Jesus kid. The world has deluded you if you really think this. Look at Mark Zuckerfag, this guy gets told "dawg join a company it's the way to go." He says fuck that, makes his own company worth billions. You're a literal cuck, but it's alright. So is the majority of the world.

try to learn C++ like a madman and you'll either fail, quit and kill yourself or be among the chosen ones and have no time to contemplate how much your life sucks

>overheated market
if it was overheated the salaries wouldn't be so high

the truth is that even the massive amounts of skilled immigration can't supply enough people

I'm the same

I work in a dishroom and if I got paid decently I would drop,out right away it's really easy no stress no responsibility and I get unlimited free food

>doing IT support for 15 different SMB's.
>no uniformity in their environments, everyone uses different products and you must learn them all
>no down time
>have to drive from place to place
>have one coworker that's been doing it for 25 years and can solve issues that take me 30 minutes in under 5 minutes
>feel depressed, overworked and stupid
I pray for death Sup Forums.

No, these are the people who tried to be devs and couldn't do it. Can't deal with being a failure? Lash out at the thing you tried so hard to be.

IT job at data center offered to send me to coding boot camp to join the development department. I miss the comfort of my old job but love how the new job is just a bunch of logic puzzles all day. One day I may go back or I'll just learn PowerShell and bash and find a position to fit.

Retail can be fun and easy depending on where you work.

I use to work at walmart a few years ago and my job consisted of literally talking to hot chicks all day.

Is everyone here a super passionate genius that's good at everything? Sure seems like it.

this

>used to be manual labor outside
>have worked in temperatures ranging from 90F to -21F
>see people complain about their office jobs where they sit on a chair inside an air conditioned building

fags

Thats a grass is greener sort of thing.

Office work is it's own little hell, Death by a thousand razors so to speak.

Working hourly as a freelance sysadmin is awesome. I don't live paycheck to paycheck, so I don't give a shit about the security of a salary based job because I do not take on needless debt. I get to pick and choose clients, and I tend to keep my workload under 20 hours/week. My only advice to others that want to freelance is go ahead, suck it up and rent a small office space somewhere and conduct your actual work there. Never mix home and work.

Agree. Used to work for a horse trainer literally shoveling shit out of stalls and pastures, fixing fences, doing other horse related bullshit. Went to school for Comp Sci to avoid ever having to work a labor job ever again.

>Grass is always greener

Work an office job and get your manual labor kicks on the weekend doing yardwork/household DIY/personal projects.

Has anyone here ever messed up at their jobs?

>comp sci degree
enjoy your unemployment, you cannot compete with poo loos.

All the time.

What have you done? How did you recover? My coworkers are so fucking perfect it's unbelievable.

I'm hoping to switch jobs soon. I expect to take a 50% pay cut, but to work on more interesting things with better people.

Can't put a price on happiness.

Employers expect you to be "passionate" about their businesses. It's absurd.

I love the "IT is easy" meme

Its only as easy as you make it. But it won't ever make you incredibly rich.

I've accidentally wiped databases, I've destroyed testing environments, I've broken the build, I've been releasing packages to production that were subtly broken for years without anybody noticing, I've pretty much broken everything.

Just been learning from my mistakes and hopefully not repeating them.

It seems like everyone here is passionate though.

Why do you not enjoy being a slave user? Your not a communist are you?

This is why you don't put all your eggs in one basket.

>pursuing a degree in electronic and computer engineering
>can theoretically get jobs as an electronic, electrical or computer engineer when I graduate. Will have a very broad knowledge of the three areas
>practice excel in my spare time, combined with sound knowledge of java and python I should be able to make it into the financial services sector if I choose to, have already interned at a major financial company
>network constantly
>fluent in three languages
>was captain of my school basketball team, volunteer at a homeless shelter every week
>work as a waiter at the weekends to try cure my autism (slowly getting there)
>some model work on occasion for extra money and a confidence boost

I'm not a naturally gifted programmer or anything like that, I was always very good at most subjects but not gifted at anything in particular. I was good at math and physics, even though my best subject was actually French. My IQ is in the mid 130s.

I knew the money was in STEM but I didn't want to do civil or mechanical engineering as they seemed like they could decline in the future and they bore the fuck out of me. I wanted to do quantitive finance but I decided an engineering degree would be more valuable. I thought more about the SKILLS I would acquire than the specific degree title. The growth of the financial technology sector makes me happy with what I've chosen.

wallstreetplayboys.com/follow-your-skills-not-your-dreams/

It can if you have ambition or talent. You either get promoted to CIO / CTO or start your own company or obtain a very specialized skill set that lets you command a large salary. If you stay doing helpdesk and shit then you're right, it wont. But thats not the fault of the IT field... if you stay doing entry level shit in any field you'll go no where.

>DUDE IT'S SO EASY LMAO UNLIKE PROGRAMMING

Besides troubleshooting difficult issues, you have managers and other higher ups literally breathing down your neck while you're working on the issue. With some SMB's the boss/manager/whatever is right there following you around while you're troubleshooting.

>Retail can be fun and easy depending on where you work.
shitty ass crop very much related

so shitty i didn't even attach it lel

I'm literally not good at anything though. I'm a naturally incompetent and lazy person. How I've made it in IT so long I will never know.

In here be nerds?

what the fuck is this file? I'm being hacked and files like this keep appearing on my web server.

>I wanted to do quantitive finance
Did you invent it?

>naturally lazy and incompetent

that doesn't exist. You might have had a shitty childhood that made you like that but it's definitely not something you can't overcome.

My mother is one of the most incompetent, lazy and useless people I've ever met.

Obfuscated code.

replace eval() with print() and show us the output.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_finance

>also known as quantitative finance

???

it was a typo

Probably a shell, update your WordPress plugins, check your server logs.

I grew up loving computers n' shit, whatever, "knowing" that I'd get a job in some tech-related field.

But here I am now. I'm still quite passionate about it all, but I cannot stand the idea of doing it for a living. In my free time sure, messing around, doing my own personal projects here and there - but as my daily job? desu i detest the idea of being in your typical office enviroment, being "that" tech guy, sitting behind a computer. I'd imagine it would become very draining.

And now I'm fucked 'cause I don't really know what else to do.

Sounds like a great fit for IT.

oh my god. is getting a job there competitive?

xD

What do you do for a living?

Working at a software company, or anywhere tech drives revenue is a pretty good deal. The only time you are going to be "that IT guy" is (1) if you don't have many skills and you are forced to fix printers or (2) if you are doing low-rung work at a company who views any sort of infrastructure and IT as a cost center neither of which you want to get into unless perhaps it is finance.

Doing systems and software "engineering" for tech companies in my opinion was a good time for a while, but I won't lie and tell you that I'm not already feeling burnout at 25-26 years old.

In my case technology isn't the problem, but rather that I get bored when forced to do something day in and day out, even if the job is good knowing I have to get up and go there is almost unbearable and how much money I make doesn't seem to have an affect on these feelings... and this is something I used to enjoy as a hobby prior to pursuing the career.

Follow your skills user, at the very least it is better than doing something silly for minimum wage.

>this isn't what i signed up for
>this is exactly what i signed up for
Huh?

>The only time you are going to be "that IT guy" is if you don't have many skills and you are forced to fix printers

>tfw that's literally me

I do have AD and networking skills but most of my day involve removing viruses and troubleshooting printers. I am literally an IT monkey unlike the geniuses here.

The good news is it is easy to move away from that if you want to. What got me into large scale roles debugging code and submitting patches back to service teams was just getting a grasp on GNU/Linux and following the ride.

Unless you really dig windows, you can still do ok but I don't know anything about that world. If you can program, especially debugging, and you are good with Linux then it is just a matter of finding the right job but in many areas it won't take long to reach 6 figures.

Another thing to consider is that anxiety/stress is causing me to lose some hair, get acid reflux and have somewhat high blood pressure at a young age on top of depression. If you aren't stressed daily then I'd call that a win.

I don't have that level of motivation or skill. I need to find another career but I'm too old.

I understand your perception of "that it guy" clearly, but I meant more in a general way of life, you know? Like, your work life, and by extension yourself, is bound to a computer, no matter how interesting the problems at hand may be. You're bound to a screen, to a specific environment, etc.

It probably sounds like I'm spewing bs, but I just cant find the proper words to articulate myself right now, being nearly 2am and all.

Programming sucks too, you just get paid more.

I want to create something of my own but constantly working/worrying about money has drained me of enthusiasm and creativity. Literally soulsucking.

It will probably go on like this until I'm just a husk.

How old? If you don't mind starting over I don't think truly too old exists, especially going out of tech.

Yeah I get that. I don't know a solution. I spend a lot of time on my computer as it is my job and my hobby but I work with guys who are all aobut cars or fitness or buddhism or whatever. You are only bound to a computer at work, and whenever you want to continue to learn on your own outside of that. Nothing says you can't do other things.

I have and the bug was released to all customers. When the bug was reported it felt like a train ran over me. But do you know what I did? I stayed at work and fixed my mistake. That day I worked until 10 p.m.
It was the least I could do.

Hopefully I wont make the same mistake again.

I'm 25. Do you want to switch away from tech, and if so into what? Switching between roles in the same industry is a little easier but I would say you are young enough although going back to school would be a little tough at this point, just financially assuming you still have loans, but outside of that I don't see why not.

How important is it really to network?
If I cared about what other people are interested in, I'd be some worthless normie watching soccer all evening after coming home from a manual labor job, sipping beer and then fucking a fat nagging wife after the children are asleep.
I don't want to be that.
I basically don't have any common interests with my parents and I don't care, I just want to be a programmer while pursuing my hobbies and shitposting on Sup Forums

It's important. Capitalism makes a whore of us all.

The biggest part of succeeding at plan called LIFE is to be the guy you always wanted to be, not for others, but for yourself. If you don't want to become a doctor then don't do it, don't count on bringing friends with you, or following them on their career paths, make your own decisions. Creativity, intelligence and ambition, that's all it takes to have an unique job that will make you high on life, just make sure you don't crash and save up, always have a master plan for the future. Like I said be yourself, don't put on a mask and don't throw your ideas out of the window before shooting them down just because some hothead tells you how to live. Trust me, trying to pull off your dreams won't kill you, imagine your potential is a fire and let it rise user! But in the end I'm just a random stranger on a big imageboard, so you might think I've said nothing, nothing at all that actually helps you in any way.

Something about this post just bothers me.

This is poetic, because it started with CIA guy.

>The fire rises

Holy fuck I just had to watch that scene again to catch on all subtle quotes. Sup Forums sure is leaking.

IT gets easier with every year. Problems evolve and so do environments. I work for a company that has around 100 active environments that we manage. Same exact kinds of problems you have. 25 help desk guys including myself and a handful of field techs. Talk about stress. IT won't make you rich but you will gain a wealth of knowledge. There are plenty of companies just like yours and mine. Just make a move and tweek a good resume. You can make a pretty decent wage.

What do you do for insurance or retirement?

>Implying poo loos can do anything higher than low level I.T

Finance hires poo in loo devs. Retards control your career path. Get used to it.

So, about to start my second year of getting a CS degree. Trying to plan for the future; I want to find a field that allows me to do creative/artistic work in addition to all the lovely programming and tech problem solving.

Is Web dev probably my best bet?

You work 10 to 15 years as an employee and after that you start building your own thing. That's the way competent people find meaning in their IT jobs.

No.

I get paid $120k a year to do nothing.

I literally do nothing all day for the past 5 years.

Programming is awesome.