/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

denverrelief.com/blog/conditions-treated-by-cannabis/autism-and-cannabis-marijuana-therapy/?age-verified=04a4685b07
silverstonetek.com/sstedm/eb03/EN-EB03.pdf
amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

gore thread?

WAKE ME UP

what fucking earbuds aren't a meme

I don't buy "muh prefered rayuhnge"

I want something that won't fucking break after 2 days and I can get work done in

se215s

And now you can make your own...

Use the catalog.

okay hpg, what is the consensus on fostex t50rp mk3?

personally, semi-open is ideal for me but how is the actual sound? especially compared to a hd598? i just totalled my pair and was wondering about finding an alternative rather than simply buying another pair.
ie:
>$170
>phone and laptop, mught get a dac sometime
>comfier/stays on better than hd598
>semi open or open
>balanced v-shape, or whatever you recommend for listening to alt-rock, indie rock, screamo, emo, grunge, folk, and some hip hop
>hd598 and some superlux pairs

you are absolutely sure these are not a meme?

they look big and plastic, like a mcdonalds toy

This will help you
denverrelief.com/blog/conditions-treated-by-cannabis/autism-and-cannabis-marijuana-therapy/?age-verified=04a4685b07

also
>electronic, experimental, metal, etc
alt rock and heavy metal take precedencr

FOTM meme
K702 is better

those are quite more expensive than my budget, and i thought they were a poor match for heavy/loud music (not that i don't listen to soft stuff, i just dont want some experiences to suffer)

K702 have good soundstage and pretty good imaging, but the impact and bass extension is poor.

Buy used then, audio is one of the things you can get away with buying used.

Any more bass than the k702 is nigger bass.

anyone have/find any frequency charts for soundmagic IEMs? specifically the e80

>nigger bass

Nice meme

so you're saying k702 is comfier than hd598 and has good volume and definition for loud music? i need good treble, but no treble spikes preferred.

my problem with hd598 was it slipped around a bit and bent / made my ears itchy

>you are absolutely sure these are not a meme?

lol no

The HD 598 is muffled and overrated shit

that's why i am not planning on buying another pair. nice input tho

I have a budget of max 220 euros. What are the best headphones I can get for this price range?

It's autism to point out your faggotry? Just how big is your ego?

>Budget
50-150CAD

>Location
Canuckistan

>Source
phone/computer jack

>Preferred type of headphone
full size

>Open or closed
closed cause fuk people

>Comfort level
100% comfy

>Preferred tonal balance
bassy as fuck

>Past headphones
Currently on a gamester gear p3210 bought for 10 bucks. Last headphones I had was another gaymen headset from soundblaster, so I really have no point of reference for nice headphones.

All things said, I just want something with lodse bass and can close me out of the world for maximum focus.

So, im trying to decide on weather i should get the HD700 or HD650. I'll use them for primarily playing video games, watching movies and listening to music, in that order. From what i have researched the HD700 has a much wider soundstage than the 650, but is the price tag worth the wider soundstage, im aware of the 600 being a great set of head phone, but its sound stage is tiny. And the 650s having great balance, where i've heard people describe the 700s to have high trebbles. ofcourse in a game that shit dont matter so long as bass is bassy, but not too bassy to kill mids...

the K702 is better than both of those failures

The HD700 is considered a failure by most and less desireable than the 600/650 by all.

>Budget
$60 or less
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone with occasional use for PC
Over ear > around ear
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Good
>Preferred tonal balance
Neutral
>Past headphones
Shit apple ear followed buy much improved Sony earbuds followed by much improved Sony headphones.

buy something that isn't sememeheiser

Shure SRH 440 if on sale or used. You won't find anything better that matches your budget.

-Removable cable
-Coiled cable
-Replaceable earpads
-comes with carrying bag if previous owner doesn't suck

Are there any good alternatives to the m50x that are similar/less in price?

Do you recommend the:

Sennheiser PX-100-II?

Or

Grado SR60e?

Shure 840

Does anyone here know how often the K7XXs go up on Massdrop. Is it like every 3 months, or is it relatively random?

MDR 7506

HD700 is trash, high end sennheiser from best to worst:

HD600 > HD650 > HD800 > HD700

These look very nice, especially since I don't listen to electronic/bassy shit. They're much cheaper than m50xs here as well.Thanks dude.

>HD600 > HD800

kek

>hd600/650
>high end
lol

pic and timestamp of high end headphones

oh no somebody couldn't possibly afford better headphones than my $300 mid-fi garbage!

I know wireless headphones are "frowned upon", but I need something for when I'm running. I've heard good things about the stinky chinky MPow amazon bluetooth headphones like pic related, but I wanted to get your guys' opinions. For $50 or less, what's the best bang for my buck?

>inb4 jaybird I'm not made of money guys

How bad would koss portapros be for wearing while doing manual labor / landscaping? My MDR-ZX100s are too bulky and fall off of my head if I look down with them on, and my head is just big enough to not be able to have them at the tightest adjustment and the cable is a little too long so I always have to snake it down my shirt.

just get some in-ears

you should be snaking your cable down your shirt anyway

If you have existing earbuds/IEMs get an adapter.

I don't like in-ears, I like the compact look of the portapros too so I'd use them for around the house and in the store or whatever too

I actually did for a set of headphones I have, and it works great. I just don't want to have to wear full over-ear headphones when I run.

My main concern is fighting cables. If I can just hang them behind/around my neck like in pic related, it'd be ideal

With an wireless adapter and a twist tie I attach my MA750 IEMs to my cycling helmet.

Anyone have that picture that exposes the hyper cloud as a rebranded takstar?

I think I've reached endgame for a while until I become rich or something. I literally own like 80% of the worthwhile headphones that are not in the 400-1000 deadzone or the 1k+ enthusiast zone.

I also have good speakers. the fuck am I supposed to do now? I guess I'll spend my money on displays...

stop calling IEMs earbuds then

just like the mk2, the t50rp is a launching point for those wanting to get into a mod project. modded they can sound amazing. mad dog is one of my favorite headphones and I use them daily. that said, the stock response is very mid-forwards with poor bass response and poor highs. if you don't want to bother with modding since the mad dog is out of production just by an hp50.

those are 2 of the worst sennheisers. that said the 650 is far better than the hd700 monstrosity. just get an hd600 or something from another company.

I want an OLED display.

px easy. portapro and ksc-75 are also do grado better than grado. they sound similar to an sr60 with the treble rape removed.

I need headphones, $250 max that are more neutral/bright than bass heavy. What do I get?

Between those two? Sennheiser PX 100-II.

I own a Grado and my Porta Pro is easily better.

I'll try asking again. I know I'm not following the guidelines but I live in a third world shithole were prices are all jacked up anyways so my choices are limited.
A store nearby is selling the Sony XBA-2 for 50 bucks with free 2 days shipping. Are they any good? I'm not particularly picky, I just want some bassy earbuds I won't miss if they get lost or stolen. Good build quality is a huge plus, since my previous pair of earbuds (urbeats I got as a gift) broke down after 6 months of use.
I haven't touched earbuds since but I kinda want to stop taking my 250 USD headphones outside for fear of getting mugged.

>fear of getting mugged
How come you're not looking at ordering some KZ ATE/ED9's or Xiaomi Pistons/Hybrids?

Reminder to have good source audio components.

Hello.

Nice knob

I have considered the Pistons, but they're hard to get a hold of in my country. The only pair for sale that looks remotely legit goes for 35 dollars, so for 15 extra I can get the XBA-2 assuming they're better

Saving up for something like the ZMF Classic is probably more worth it in the long run. Stock T50RP is missing some frequencies, particularly at the top and bottom, and requires modding to achieve a complete sound.

>Budget
Enough to get the best bang for the buck. Nothing stupid expensive. Around $200 I guess?
>Location
Trumpland
>Source
Xonar DG
Over-ear
>Open or closed
Preferably closed so people outside my room don't hear underage anime girls screaming yamete, but I can compromise.
>Comfort level
I wear them for hours on end. Nothing loose, though.
>Preferred tonal balance
Whatever
>Past headphones
Sennheiser HD 280, DT770 Pro, SoundMAGIC HP100, some other trash

Was thinking about getting the Momentum 2.0 after some other user mentioned it being on sale for 200 in a previous thread but the reviews seem iffy.

The mementum are shit. If you want closed and don't plan on taking them outside or don't mind looking like a retard get the K550 or K553 Pro

MSR7

What are some good headphones with good sound isolation? I need something I can use in a public library

MDR 1a, MSR7, K550 on massdrop, m50x

>K550

K553

Was actually looking at the MSR7, but now the AKG's look tempting with the sturdier build.

The K553 seems to be rated lower than the K550, though.

XB-1000 for 250 bucks
Yay or nay? they're used tho, and the guy lives in another state so I'm risking buying defective shit. Supposedly the site I'd be buying them on offers buyers protection and I can get my money back though.

I think you'll like the MSR7. People say it's really comfy as long as you adjust/mod the headband if needed. The build is mostly plastic and can creak sometimes, but if you're only using them at home, V moda build quality is not as important, just comfort and sound. I've heard they are balanced and are good w/ female voices, so anime might sound better

I also forgot to mention the NAD HP50 as another one

Try asking a proper question without using the word meme and you might get a solid answer.

silverstonetek.com/sstedm/eb03/EN-EB03.pdf

Oh lord, had no clue Silverstone started manufacturing this kind of equipment.

Hello!

at least you can pop a new arc in, my Sennheisers are forever fucked

And the 702 is very thin and slightly harsh.

Everything about them besides the detail is shit.

m8 the soundstageae sounds exactly the same on the 650 and 600.

I've owned both and the 600 is better.

You got wrecked.

600's are king mode

Got you senpai

Don't get great headphones if the only device you can drive them with is low-tier trash.

is there a guide for Chinese earphones?

People are still discussing K701/2's and HD600/650 but I rarely see Beyerdynamic DT880 mentioned here. What happened? It used to be part of the big 3.

Want to join the Planar Master Race /hpg/.

Is the HiFiMAN HE-400i a good starting point. Would like to spend less than $1,500 though.

People don't discuss about excellent headphones here.

the odac is low tier trash?

If you're paying any more than that your cucking yourself for more bloat and distortion.

What's the difference between the 880 and the 990?

I think the 990 has a more extreme V signature while DT880 has a little lower bass, flatter mid range and bigger treble spike

I always wanted the HD600 / 650
Ended up with Audeze LCD2 Rev. 2, since they were suppose to match the sound sig of the 650 but be better in every way. I absolutely loved them however they were so heavy eventually I got rid of them. Lost my ass and bought some HD700 on sale for $500. There is a really good review of the HD700 and bottlehead Crack OTL. I would normally say the 600/650 would be a better price point, however the 700s are just so ridiculously cheap now.
700 if you have the extra cash, 600/650 if ya want wanna save. Either way you want a good amp.

>1500

go for stax instead

Because there's nothing to discuss. It's just an excellent headphone.

Why no mention of the horrible treble peaks?

Should I buy my Monk Plus from the official veclan.com store, or should I go for these special translucent red ones on Massdrop? Not exactly a fan of the plain black ones on veclan, as I'd prefer a clear shell. But somehow I like the idea of waiting only two weeks instead of four or five. Odd, I know!

On a similar note, what tf is the difference between the Balanced, TRRS, and Darth editions listed on veclan?

Thanks

These might suit you better. Similar driver to the portapros too.
amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K

1More sells Pistons directly to the US, not sure about availability in other countries.
Most cheap dynamic driver IEMs are bassy anyway, picking a model at random is far more likely to find something with a large bass boost than otherwise.
>fear of getting mugged.
You really think they'd mug you for the headphones? It's one thing to be worried about misplacing a set of headphones, but mugging?
If it's not a popular model, they probably won't recognize it as valuable enough to be worth mugging someone for. I've heard more than a few stories about people being mugged and leaving behind the DAPs and IEMs that cost thousands of dollars.

>What happened?
Headphone discussion is seasonal, it comes and goes. If someone buys a model, they might be back to defend their purchase like a cornered rat. This just happens from time to time.

Just picking a planar driver doesn't mean anything, there's still a wide variance of signature they can have.
The HE-400i is a more popular option.

Other planar headphones:
Audeze Sine and LCD-2 (whatever version)
Stax Lambda series
Hifiman HE-560 and HE-6
Oppo PM3
And many others.

Which AMP+DAC should I choose to feed my HD 600?

FiiO E10K: $99 USD
Magni 2 + Modi 2: $243 USD
O2+ODAC RevB: $312 USD

Are there any audible differences between them?

the HD600 will probably sound bad regardless which amp you take

You'll get mugged if you have Beats or anything with a white cable (they will want the iPhone).