DP vs. HDMI vs. DVI vs. VGA

which does Sup Forums prefer?

DVI because my monitor has one. HDMI is proprietary trash.

DVI because my monitor has one, DisplayPort in general. VGA is trash now, GDMI is proprietary garbage.

I agree. Although I'll use HDMI when I can't get DisplayPort. Or I'll use it to adapt DVI. Or for my TV.

DP > HDMI > DVI > VGA
Basically anything except VGA is nice, since I think that hdmi and dvi are actually equal in video quality, but hdmi outputs audio as well.

DP is the superior of the group. HDMI is garbo. DVI is old, but powerful.

DP > DVI >> VGA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HDMI

HDMI is fucking cancer and needs to die. There is literally NOTHING good about it.

DP > DVI >= VGA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> HDMI

HDMI was designed more for HD television and HD video in general with lots of DRM encoded into it to keep Hollywood lawyers happy. HDCP. And it was never intended as a PC standard.
DisplayPort is the superior format it's not very widely used from what I've seen.

I use VGA for my main monitor. Only time I see it is when I look really closely on a black background and I can see sort of "static".

Along with DVI for my second monitor and PS3.

Every modern GPU and every modern monitor has a DP.

Can't you use an adapter as well?

Or will that "mud things up"?

Actually it's inter compatible with DVI. So you could use an HDMI port as a pass through for DVI if you're lacking a DVI port. But that's the only good thing I can think of regarding it.

The monitors I've had in the past few years have not had DP aside from my Dell monitor.

DisplayPort because it's objectively better than everything else there by fucking miles.
This is an awful selection to set against each other though. It's like comparing 7.62 NATO with .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and 9mm.

DP > everything

>Hdmi > Dvi

kys nigger

Whether you're converting HDMI to DP or DVI or any combination of DVI, DP, and HDMI with adapters you won't lose any quality, Remember DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort are all digital. A 1 & 0 will still look like a 1 & 0. When you start adapting them to analogue (VGA) that's when you lose quality. Because the conversion causes quality loss.

Neat. Thanks.

True, however plenty of motherboards don't have DP if you're on integrated for some reason.

You're welcome.

Although I forgot to mention that DVI and VGA aren't as capable as many color spaces as HDMI & VGA. So depending on your setup you might not get all the color spaces If you say convert DisplayPort to DVI or VGA or vice versa. Not sure about HDMI though.

But if terms of picture quality. No. You don't lose any quality by using active or passive adapters for HDMI, DVI, or DisplayPort. Only when VGA is thrown into the mix.

Or if you use VGA on a modern flat panel display. You'll lose quality because those are digital displays. So use anything else if you can.

Display Port anywhere I can.
DVI or HDMI where I must.
VGA when all else fails, because analog signals care and will always be there for you, Anonymous.

So where and why did this "HDMI is dicks" meme come from and why is display port the god port

DP is just better.

About half the day I support a 62 room, 2200 seat training center. The AV systems that run the rooms are all fiber between the projectors, the racks, and the desk, but the desks are all HDMI, right up to the trainers PC where it adapts to DP. The thin clients in the rooms are all DVI. In this setting at least, the HDMI cables are the most solid. Unless they're severed, they're the last thing I check because they always seem to work and the plugs/sockets stay solid for years. In a big AV setting, problems are magnified and DP has its issues, particularly with display scaling, EDID, and certain desktop/projected image layouts.

I fill the rest of the day with basic-tier internal IT support for about 10,000 techs and devs that have pretty much all the things. While I send people a lot of DVI and VGA cables to replace ones with bent pins, the cables themselves never cause issues, and I definitely have to replace a ton of DP too. Some PCs, especially certain laptop/dock combos, don't seem to like dual DP, and have scaling and other display issues. Also, many DP cables that come in monitor boxes are garbage, and the ports on the monitors seem flimsy and start failing the wiggle test somewhat often.

For a PC, if you can avoid mashing pins like an idiot, DVI seems a little more reliable to me. For home TV or an AV system, HDMI.

Yep. Such as being royalty free unlike HDMI, it has a locking mechanism unlike HDMI, and can be adapted to the other standards like VGA, DVI, and even HDMI (if you absolutely have to use HDMI), unlike HDMI itself which can only be adapted to DVI without the use of a converter box.

>

DP also has a higher bandwith, if anyone's interested in 8K

vga, because its whats on my chromebook

Display port obviously

This my 1070 has fucking 3 display port outputs

So does my 960 which I will be upgrading at some point. Although I have one DVI & 1 DP hooked up to it.

I've never tested it but as far as I know (this isn't gonna matter for most people but) DVI won't reach as far as HDMI

I need a 10m cable to connect my computer to my monitor so I use HDMI it also having thinner connectors made it easier to run it through the holes. I connect via DVI adapters from my GPU and on my monitor though.

I've read DVI cables like to max out around 5 meters though. Whether they actually go further easily in practise I haven't tested.

This

I use DVI for one monitor and DP-to-DVI for the other.

HDMI can't even handle 144hz. Fuck off.

DisplayPort is like an open-standard version of HDMI, so why not that?

TVs and media devices need to start including DPs.

Which one do I need to link my monitor to the video card in order to play games at 144 Hz on Full HD? My monitor is an Asus VG248QE.

I don't understand, why don't you just use them all?

look like passive adapters. i'm almost sure this doesn't work

>Not using RGBi/CGA
>Implying the human eye can see more than 16 colors

mini DP

DP to DVI-D does work with a passive adapter

Euro SCART.

Thanks for making me nostalgic.

>VGA above anything
No

DisplayPort masterrace

They all suck in their special ways:

Display port: tries to be HDMI without the patents. Monitor manufacturers took their sweet time actually adopting this thing.

VGA: old skool port for old skool displays. Looks like trash on anything semi-modern. It is a surprisingly reliable fallback considering how long it has been relegated as a "legacy" port. I still see more of these than DVI ports.

DVI: It was a great port for its time, but superseded by HDMI. Only the highest end TVs would have an DVI input. The port was pretty big and chunky even at the time of its debut.

HDMI: It was great at first: DVI without the big port and audio if you aren't looking for anything audiophile grade. Then they added networking with dubious results. Then they changed the standards again for 4k. Then they just started dumping shit in willy-nilly. The real downer is that there is no real way to read an HDMI port's capabilities. No color codes, no special notches, there is nothing to indicate if a port supports audio, networking, super HD, or just about anything else, which leaves end users reaching for a manual or left to screw around.

Im in love with dvi at the moment. It allows me to achieve 1680 by 1050 native res on my 9front desktop using nvidia gtx 700 series cards