I don't get why people always have to start "What's the better OS ?" Thread

I don't get why people always have to start "What's the better OS ?" Thread.

You like freedom, *nix, FOSS and spend a little bit of time to learn how an operating system work to become better at computer science? Then you go for GNU/Linux (every distro is ok)

You like to use the most used operating system in the world, have a lot of compatibility and doesn't want to learn how an operating system work? Then You go for Windows.

You like a computer very easy to use, with a great app store and with good *nix programming tools? Then you go for macOS.

It's simple. You choose what YOU want, now what the society want.

For the first time on Sup Forums, let's talk about OS without throw shit.

I personally find myself comfortable with Gnu/Linux and Windows. Also my mother use Ubuntu and doesn't have compatibilty problem on her ASUS laptop, she likes the GUI and thinks that Unity is very simple to use. I prefer Cinnamon, GNOME 3 and i3.

What about you?

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html),
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Currently testing Arch and liking it so far.

I played around with Mint, Debian, CentOS, Manjaro, Fedora, and a some other distros.

I use Windows 10 Home for my laptop currently but I want to make a switch over to Linux soon.

Op here, I tried only Debian distros and Arch, but I still prefer Debian Os.

I find Windows 10 very good, but not as good as a Linux Distro for me.

I've got a thinkpad T410 and a self built pc.

Not every distro is ok, Arch literally is a worse version of Debian and Void.

Please Archfags, tell me how to change my init system without systemd getting installed as a dependency of packages. (lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-general/2015-July/039443.html), or change the /usr/bin/python symlink to python 2.7, or why your packages are all in one instead of being split up like debian?

Fedora 24 w/ KDE.

I occasionally have to use the family Windows computer.

Is there a Leenux deestro called 'Skub'? I want.

You are missing the point op. What good is a computer if i cant use it to make aomeone else feel shitty for x, y, or z.

Theres one called blag which ia actually good i think except updates have ceased

I don't care about those things because I'm not autistic as fuck. I also use Funtoo.

OpenBSD with FVWM

>muh systemd
kys retard, arch is god tier

install OpenRC on Arch. it makes things way less painful.

For someone who has just started to learn to use linux should I worry about all the different distros and which one to use in the future? Right now I am using linux mint as my first linux distro with MATE and I'm kinda liking it so far. It's a nice change from windows for once and I like how you can look freely around your pc and see how your system works.

Not at all. If you like it, stay with it. There will always be someone on Sup Forums who doesn't agree with your choice of distro.

I set my mom up with Ubuntu a well since her laptop is slowish and I don't know much about Windows.

Currently dual booting antergos and windows 10 on my desktop. The only reason I have Windows is for games and Photoshop, since I've found that everything else I want to use my computer for can be done better in Linux.

Currently looking into some PCIe passthrough VM or something like that. Apparently it lets me run Windows in a VM without any performance loss, but I'm still looking into it.

Other than that, I've got an old Dell laptop with windows 7 on it. I use this one for school and there are some programs that only work on Windows, so for the time being I need to keep windows on it. Once I'm done with school I'll probably install mint on it and leave it as a family laptop though.

It really depends on what you, as a user, want. If you are using Linux only because it's a free alternative to Windows, then stick with mint or Ubuntu. If, however, you want an operating system that you have much more control over, that has less bloat, etc, then I would recommend to start looking into more advanced distros later down the road. For the time being, I would say you should stick with mint for at least 6-8 months before considering moving to a different distribution.

Also, my personal recommendation of distribution hopping would be like this:
Mint
Debian
Antergos (this is where I came back to, because it was a perfect balance of control and ease of use)
Arch
Gentoo (this is meme level and you shouldn't use this unless you are autistic).

How do I get started with debian?

Just create a live USB and install it. You will solve any (small) problem you find as you go. I used it for half a year and found it perfectly OK. Mint does everything for you though. I ended up with Mint MATE.

And then, when you realize that the customization is futile and the optimization neglectable you'll just go back to a flagship distro.

Also Gentoo is not a meme.

>gentoo is a meme
Neo Sup Forums everyone

Install gentoo.

>You like to use the most used operating system in the world, have a lot of compatibility and doesn't want to learn how an operating system work? Then You go for Windows.

but thats also linux.
just because linux doesnt have a huge desktop marketshare doesnt mean it isnt huge in other aspects.

Mint is a fine distro to start of with. You can either stay with it or migrate to a newer distro if it appeals to you in some way. Every distro has its own purpose & advantages. For example arch has AUR, gentoo has use flags, mint is for users that want an user friendly, out-of-the-box experience.
What distro is good for you all depends on what you want to do with it.
I went from ubuntu to crunchbang, debian, arch & settled with gentoo on my desktop and laptop + debian on my server.
I started with ubuntu and now i run gentoo on my desktop & laptop & debian on my server.
I learned about gentoo here and it appealed to me because it would learn more about the inner working of linux, no systemd, use flags and i really like the way portage works.