/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Posting a cute picture of D.Va to draw more people to the thread edition.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to build a pc, how to select components, and much, much more advice.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

- Post your list, rate other user's, ask questions in general.
- Always state the purpose of your PC and your budget. If asking for improvements, state whether you want the price and/or quality of the build to be improved.

Also this isn't the same user who made the last thread but I changed up the previous format up a bit, let me know how it looks.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/XjqYHN
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/twCBZ8
youtube.com/watch?v=8mfykKXqDww&ab_channel=TechYESCity
pcpartpicker.com/list/k99Qqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/sT6vWX
logicalincrements.com/laptop
pcpartpicker.com/list/qRnskT
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157635
m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157639
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JrPq3F
pcpartpicker.com/list/3NxXvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/z4fskT
pcpartpicker.com/list/GXKPnn
pcpartpicker.com/list/mK3f9W
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9QyNqk
pcpartpicker.com/user/MarkNarukami/saved/mpjYcf
pcpartpicker.com/list/TQQmgL
twitter.com/AnonBabble

hey Sup Forums i havnt been up to date with whats the latest and decent hardware for the past year but a friend of mines wants to game basically on 1080p/60fps. His budget is about 600-800, any builds that will be good for him at that price range? Is amd's chip still shit as usually and what is the better price wise gpu now nvidia new model or amds r9 400s series?

pcpartpicker.com/list/XjqYHN
this is the build so far i came up with and i need some help to understand somethings before i tell my friend this. Is the evo 212 needed for a non k cpu? What is the best motherboard brand today now ( use to be asus) also what does one really need for a motherboard really? is heat spread on ram a meme btw never really though it was necessary and makes it look like shit.

>Is the evo 212 needed for a non k cpu?
It will run somewhat quieter than the stock fan. I wouldn't say it's worth it but I use closed headphones.
>What is the best motherboard brand today now ( use to be asus)
Gigabyte has improved greatly. Asus is still good. MSI is degrading rapidly. ASRock is still hit and miss.
>also what does one really need for a motherboard really?
Other than the obvious selecting the right socket and chipset I presume? Depends on what kind of overclocks are planned. If you're not overclocking at all the cheapest thing with enough ports is going to be good enough. If you are overclocking it gets complicated fast, prepare to look at review after review once you narrow it down to what boards are viable candidates.
>is heat spread on ram a meme btw never really though it was necessary and makes it look like shit.
If you're under 4k MHz it does not matter in the slightest. Heat spreaders just get in the way of XXXL CPU coolers.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/twCBZ8

Take £10 off for shipping, I can get the GPU else where w/ free shipping when they come back in stock (well, hopefully...)

Question - what differs between sticks of 2133/2400mhz RAM and 3000mhz? Just their speeds? Can I do that manually myself? I've been told it can actually make quite a difference.

Also, I just threw the 212 EVO on there. Can I OC with it? Should I look into getting one of those All-in-one coolers?

Thanks. (and my budget is around the current price, dont wanna push it even more.)

alright thanks user. ill tell my friend is noise a problem or just to buy a decent noise canceling headphones. Ill look more into what motherboards(asus or gigabyte) since i know he isnt going to overclock. As for the ram something less ugly since i hate how gskill look (btw is gskill still the best atm?)

My mobo recently died so Im upgrading to 1151 but want to make sure my ddr3 ram will work with Skylake if I buy a ddr3 1151 mobo

Is it worth getting a skylake CPU? I can get a i5-4590 for really cheap and it's much better price/perf compared to skylakes, esp. including the mobo

Best processor for 1080p 60fps gaming?
I don't plan on doing any over clock to it either.

i7 930 and a gtx 460

worth it to upgrade?

Yes

idle stats, should I be concerned and begin my next upgrade?
I dont know what 12v stats mean either

Sauce on pic?

I don't get what you mean by sauce, sorry

>Gigabyte has improved greatly.
Gigabyte was always great.

I'd say just GPU for now. OC that 930 and you'll do just fine for some time now.

Not circa 2007, when their BIOS would crap out at the drop of a hat and they hadn't implemented their backup BIOS system yet.

Gigabyte was always and still is a budget brand. They're okay, but not great

Not sure about 2007 but I had a Gigabyte mobo w/ my E8400 and after I dismembered it it's used by a friend of mine with an OC'ed Q6600 and still running like new.
If by budget you mean upper-high with the best value/money then yes.

Your new is showing guys

user who started the last 2 threads here. Good op. Might want to put right in the Op to stop putting 6600k's in h170 boards and 6600's in z170 boards, kek.

Just to get some discussion, here is the machine i put together in october 2015. What do you guys think? I probably goofed buying an 8350 for gaming, but the good news is that my friend wants to buy the machine from me to use for photoshop and video editing. I probably spent way too much on the case also.

I need a cooler for i7 6700k, will the hyper ev 212 be good? I can't find any Cryorig H7 in europe, open to something else if it's good.

oh, I should mention, the mobo, case, and cpu cost slightly more at the time. My purchase total was right around $800 if including the OS.

>gpu at 81 degrees on idle

By the way the '12 volt stats" is the measurement of the power supplied by the 12 volt rail.

whats with the surge of display ports lately?

I feel like I just ran into new technology because when I last bought my shit never heard of display ports before

seems like video cards all have like 3 of these ports now

I can't play games anymore because my video card hits up to 120 degrees and forces my computer to shut off

tried msi afterburner for 100% fan speed, no difference.

should I also be worried that 12v is hitting up to 13.5v?

legit question, when was the last time you removed dust from your computer?
Also how old is the card? You may need to reapply thermal paste. I had a laptop getting that hot once, turns out the heatsink was physically detached from the cpu. Something is seriously wrong with your machine.

>stop putting 6600k's in h170 boards and 6600's in z170 boards, kek.

Not the OP but any reason why? Just curious.

My card is about 6 years old, but I remove dust from my computer about once a month. I've made sure to clean out the fans from the video card. Never see a temperature drop

You might have to disassemble the card and reapply thermal paste to the gpu die, as well as maybe replacing things like thermal pads.

youtube.com/watch?v=8mfykKXqDww&ab_channel=TechYESCity
Don't have to go crazy and do the break cleaner thing, but it's good to watch.

Either that, or it's time for a new card. Hell, a used gtx 950 will outpeform a lot of the 6 year old cards.

h170 cannot overclock and is much cheaper. Therefore you want to pair it with a cpu that also cannot overclock, like a i5 6500/6600 for example.
z170 can overclock, costs a bit more. You putting a non-overclocking chip into it is a waste of money, so if you have a z170 mobo, you should buy an overclockable chip like the i3-6100 or the i5-6600k or i7-6700k.

Your processor can't be overclocked, you'll either have to spring for a 6600K or save £30-50 and get a H170 motherboard and 2133mhz ram.

why are gigabyte gpus bigger than the others yet cheaper

Doubt it, most Z170 and H170 boards only accept DDR4.

Depends on which processor you'd be getting if you got skylake. Unless you're planning on getting a 6600k or a 6700k get the 4590.

AMD FX 8350 / i3 6100 if you're poor, 6600K if you're not.

You can probably squeeze a year or two more out of that CPU with an overclock. Definitely get the fuck away from Fermi.

Buy a Noctua NH-D15, it's near silent.

You can push more information through them. HDMI 2.0 caps at 4k 60fps, but DP 1.3 can handle 4K 144hz.

Everything is compatible but see and Buy a much cheaper but higher quality h170 or b150 motherboard.

pcpartpicker.com/list/k99Qqk

Finished building this a few weeks ago. How'd I do?

The Fury's mere 4GB of VRAM makes me a little anxious about its longevity, I must admit.

For what? 1080p? Nah you'll be fine.

See - you have a z170 motherboard with a non-overclockable CPU. It's also mini itx form factor which is too small for the mounting inside an Atx mid tower. Find a mini Itx case or a bull lenght Atx form factor motherboard.

Is there any reason to get an i5 vs an i7 when you stream on twitch?

am I going to notice any difference streaming PC games on an i5 vs an i7?

I'm pretty sure that mobo's m(icro)atx.

And I thought that you could OC non-K Skylake chips with the right mobo BIOS.

>For what? 1080p? Nah you'll be fine.

Yeah, I'll be sticking with 1080p for the foreseeable future. Though very recently there have been a few games that demand >4GB even at 1080p at max settings (eg Doom and Mirror's Edge), and those definitely make me nervous.

>you have a z170 motherboard with a non-overclockable CPU. It's also mini itx form factor which is too small for the mounting inside an Atx mid tower. Find a mini Itx case or a bull lenght Atx form factor motherboard.

I bought that board more for its ability to use higher frequency RAM than to overclock my non-OCable CPU. PCPPicker reports an incompatibility between the board and case, but it actually mounts just fine (although the case is hilariously oversized for that board). I needed a larger chassis for the Fury, but I selected a mITX board because the other form factors rarely offer native wireless and bluetooth support at reasonable prices.

pcpartpicker.com/list/sT6vWX
This is my build I'll be ordering today. I'll upgrade to a better gpu later (probably a 1070) but the 950 is perfect for me for the moment. Anything I should change or need to know before I pull the trigger? thanks

Also how's my case?

hi everyone. I'm new to this board, so I hope this is a good thread to ask in.

I need the best, fastest laptop that I can afford with the nicest screen and features for around $600. normally I'd just go to newegg and pick one out, but there are so damn many these days that I thought I'd ask people who know what the fuck they're doing, or at least know better than me. I know 600 isn't a lot, but it's all I got. I'm not looking for anything that needs to run big games, but it would be a plus. just something with a decent sized screen that is fast, reliable, can play some medium tier games but nothing new at top setting or anything like that. mainly for music, browsing, small programs, and things like that. any help is greatly appreciated.

Why not get the Fractal R5 instead of the R4?

Do you guys expect any changes in the value of a used 2500k this year? I lost a bunch of my parts so I need a CPU. I have a lga1155 board and a windfall coming in october.

I figure buy a used 2500k for ~$90 now on ebay and sell it down the road when I buy a current gen chip. To equal it in performance I'll need a z170/oc i3 6100/good ddr4 which will cost $120 more than just the 2500k.

I just don't want it's value to crash when kaby releases and we get more zen details in q4 because if I can't recoup the majority of what I spent on the chip i would have been better off with the 6100 because it's used value will almost certainly remain stable through the rest of the year.

This is a thread about building your own desktop computer from parts.

logicalincrements.com/laptop is an ok starting point though. If you want gaming just pick a laptop in your price range with a decent graphics card (gtx 950m or higher)

You can most likely spend half that and get something to fit your use case. Visit thinkpad general. Otherwise the acer aspire 1080p laptop for ~500 on amazon will be fine. I'd just get a mint t430s on ebay.

Why would I? Is my motherboard good? Thanks

To add, I had heard that the r4 was better than the r5, but I'd like to hear what you have to say

thanks I appreciate it.

Is this a decent build for my new system? The purpose is for gaming. Games I play include CS:GO, Rust, Killing Floor 2, various Telltale games. Nothing too intensive, but I would like it futureproof for a while.

Looking to get the price down any way I can. Thanks Sup Forums.

i5 vs i7 for streaming games?

don't shill out actually BUYING windows, just dl an iso and use kms auto lite

>he thinks people actually pirate windows

Is this a decent build for my new system? The purpose is for gaming. Games I play include CS:GO, Rust, Killing Floor 2, various Telltale games. Nothing too intensive, but I would like it futureproof for a while.

Looking to get the price down any way I can. Thanks Sup Forums.

>streaming games
just kill yourself you fucking millenial garbage

Fuck off you grumpy shit.

pcpartpicker.com/list/qRnskT

How's this list? I'm trying to make the best possible $1100 (can go a bit over) build for for my friend. He said he needs 16gb ram for specific applications, and is set on the SSD/HDD combo. He said he also values silent operation, which is why I have the aftermarket HSF on the locked cpu.

He also needs an optical drive for watching dvd's, not sure if he needs blu-ray read/write. What's the cheap-ass go-to for optical drives? I've never researched them since I don't need them myself.

Purpose is gaming and programming, not sure if he's doing anything with long compile times.

Suppose I have a non-K i5 CPU and some 2400MHz DDR4 RAM. Suppose also that an H170 mobo and a Z170 mobo with the same features are available at about the same price (a couple of dollars difference). My understanding is that the Z170 would give me a very minor performance boost (less than 1%) because it would support the RAM's full speed and not restrict it to 2133MHz, and that would be the only difference. Is this correct? Would there be any reason to get the H170 over the Z170?

What is your monitor resolution? If it's

the similarity in price might be due to the z170 board having less features like certain asthetics, number of sata ports, audio, bios features, ect.
probably just go with the z170 board i guess. Then you can upgrade to a K series cpu later.

How well do Skylake processors overclock? I currently have an i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz overclock on stock voltage. I am thinking of getting a 6600K, but I will I be able to achieve similar clock speeds with it on air cooling?

I *think* they're the same apart from the H/Z difference, at least:

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157635

m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16813157639

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JrPq3F

Hi Sup Forums I'm really desperate for feedback I'm not going for best of the best but something which will work well to last me a while (and play overwatch on high settings)

I'd appreciate feedback if you think I should change anything out, thanks

I got it on sale for $190 which was cheaper than any other 960 or r9 380 that was currently on the market.

AAAAAHHHH! Forgot budget, £1300 max

Ditch windows and you can save a bit

look good but I would go with the black Fractal R5 design. the type of material they use scratches easily and shows on the white design, but not noticeable on the black one

power supply is insanely overpriced, you can downgrade to the SATA ssd for half the price and no noticeable performance loss, i7 (if only gaming) is extremely overkill, get a 6600k and clock it at like 4.4 on that cooler.

pcpartpicker.com/list/3NxXvV

trying to pick a monitor is driving me insane

someone just tell me what to buy

logicalincrements monitor list update WHEN

pcpartpicker.com/list/z4fskT

Not including watercooling, planning on full custom cooling with EK blocks.

Looking for something to last years, any other suggestions?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/z4fskT
>over 3k for a build
>FOUNDER edition cards

founders cards are good for water cooling. Almost all of them have great silicon. You're tearing off the cooler any way.

Why would you not get a better processor if you have that sort of budget?

whats wrong with the 6700k? The games performance with X99 stuff is pretty damn tiny

You're clearly beyond such pleb-tier components now. Come take your seat at the grownup table, user.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GXKPnn

any screw ups?

also, would this build benefit from a 144hz monitor or should I just go with 60hz and get a nice IPS?

you don't get a fan with an unlocked Intel cpu

I got a fan with my 3570k, but that was a few years ago. Also what's the best value GPU at the moment for 1440p 60 fps max settings? I want to get a 1070 since the 1080 base price is jew tier but the 1070 is also overpriced to shit.

Refurbish gtx 980ti

pcpartpicker.com/list/mK3f9W

Hello! I'm looking for a way to lower the price of this buyild by $100 or so.

The build will be mostly used for gaming and casual internet surfing. Nothing really special. The one question I really have is: Should I really go for an i7, or would an i5 do just fine and handle the same?

Anything with corsair CX on it is failure prone. You also only need about 500w (max load spike) for that machine. 550w would be fine.

$300 is WAYYYY too much for a gtx 960. You should pay no more than $200 for it. You can also get an rx 480 for about that price if you can find it. i7 is not necessary for any games on a 1080p monitor. Also you might as well buy skylake to use ddr4.

So many get a refurbished one, or look for a cheaper one? Thanks for the info/review of my build though.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/9QyNqk

Not really gaming much, just some light 4K gaming. I will be doing video editing, and I just wanted to confirm that all the parts are good. The 1080 has already been ordered and now I'm just purchasing everything else. I want to know if that's a good mobo or not. There are not may in-depth mobo guides so things get a little confusing. Thanks

I payed $190 for a brand new gtx 960. There's a 2gb memory model on newegg right now for $175, and a 4gb tripple fan card for $199.
Don't let pcpartpicker do the shopping for you, they are just a convenience.

Help us out then

Your GPU? That's cool I guess. But if you have 4gb of vram on it, you should get a monitor that goes well with it. No need to have a 720p monitor (for example) with that when you could have a much better res.

I'm not saying to fill your vram up to its max but the closest you can go to the max is good.

I have a decent looking 1080p monitor. Idk where you're getting that from. I play almost every game on high settings with 60fps. The only game that kicks my Vid card's ass really is the Witcher 3, but I turn down the settings a little, and get like 50 fps. Overwatch, Doom, WoW, GTAV, Fallout 4 all look good and run smooth as fuck.

what case should i get larry, he's a friend of the family and hes paying me to build him a pc for light CAD and paying bills and youtube, just cant decide on a case. was thinking mATX but preferably something semi-cheap, was thinkking of rosewill FBM-01

I'm lazy and don't want to do the research, but have enough common sense to assemble the parts and get the system running,.

Anyone want to take a crack out of picking the parts to a new pc, graphics card being a 1070, preferably intel cpu, non rice case, hoping for decent parts, a psu that wont shit itself, ddr4 to the tune of 15 gbs or so, otherwise i dont care, i dont have any special needs really, just want a semi competent modern system.

If you are bored and like doing that sort of thing go ahead and I will greatly appreciate it, I would do all the research myself but I drone at work and then afterwards im usually busy doing other shit that I cant look up optimal parts, and when i can do my own research i stress too much about it and pussyfoot and wait around and doubt.

If no one cares to, that is fine, not a favor i feel will be met, just asking out of curiosity.

did not mean to quote you

How's this looking? I didn't really know what flavor of 1070 to go for, not sure if $490 for a 1070 FTW is worth or not. Would be upgrading from a 3570k/GTX 670 build that is being handed down to someone else.

Whoops, didn't meant to quote. Although this is surprisingly close to what you want not that I read your post.

pcpartpicker.com/user/MarkNarukami/saved/mpjYcf

How does it look my bois

lel yeah not bad, sorry im drunk so my misquoting ability is out in force.

flavor is eh, i probably wont do much overclocking so that ability is in the wind, I would if it had the ability and can handle it but its not a demand of mine, would cut the dollars and get something else if it was reliable and quit. would prefer something not noisy if its a leafblower level unit, otherwise, just a good working level 1070 im not worried about burning out

ram seems overkill, is there many instances where a person doing web browsing, skyping, and some gaming where 32gb would be necessary?

case is non flashy enough, i'm not opposed.

I think i remember reading about samsung ssd's being shady quality, dont want to skimp on that, it may be fine I just really dont know, i want one that wont brick itself anytime soon.

>I think i remember reading about samsung ssd's being shady quality
Wat, intel and samsung are top for SSDs

It's quite possible I read wrong, or read it here in a bait post, hence i get tired of doing my own research.

pcpartpicker.com/list/TQQmgL

There are ways to cut costs on this build but you emphasized that you want quality parts.

thanks man

You are using a mATX mobo in a ATX case, which means it is unneccesarily big. You can buy an mATX case and have it a bit smaller.

Welllll I can't find the the cryorig H7 on pcpartpicker any more. I see it on newegg for a HILARIOUS $99.99. They must have suddenly had to stop production of it, or it's a weird market hiccup. Absolutely do not spend $99 on an H7, it's a $38 cooler meant to be a step up from the $25-$30 Cooler master 212 Evo.