What do you think of coding bootcamps? I'm debating whether or not to enter one...

What do you think of coding bootcamps? I'm debating whether or not to enter one. The hiring prospects after completion seem very attractive (and I live in NYC). It is expensive, but I can get a loan from family.

Do you have any experience with them? Are they worth it?

please respond

Why not teach yourself programming?
There are plenty of online resources these days. It's mostly free, and you can learn at your own speed from your own house.

I've been slowly doing that but I need a job ASAP and these bootcamps seem to have a great track record of people getting hired right out of the gate

Not op but
Im in a bootcamp that teaches java, js and python for 1.5 years.. Ikr its memeing but if they dont find me a job in 3 months i don't have to pay for the bootcamp the course price
I already know c, c++ and database desgn and they also have c++ teachers so im just gonna fuck with python for a while then ditch it, still better than uni really

Exactly, they hedge their bets on people getting jobs and for one with like with a 75% hiring rate, you have to be kind of a moron to go through and not get hired.

Mind if I ask which one you're in user?

Its in hungary called codecool
Yes it sounds memey as fuck but honestly i dont care as long as it gets me a job

delete this

install gentoo

It's good if you already have a degree in something unrelated but technical (engineering, math, physics, etc.), have some prior knowledge in programming, and want to get a job as soon as possible. Learning through online resources is fine, but it'll take more time than a structured environment where you're committing 100% each day and surrounded by people that are similarly motivated. If you are going to attend a bootcamp, make absolutely sure it's not a scam. Look up alumni and message them about their experience on LinkedIn or otherwise, read any and all reviews you can get your hands on, and make sure the admissions process is actually tough. You don't want retards in the same class as you; making friends and networking, and getting out of your shell is a big reason to go.

What's a good site to learn programming?

>In b4 install gentoo

programming what

I fucked up there, mate. I meant coding. I get easily distracted. I want to learn to code.

freecodecamp
udemy
udacity
treehouse

>Im in a bootcamp that teaches java, js and python for 1.5 years
>1.5 years
This is not a boot camp. Boot camps are way shorter. What they call a boot camp in US is like a 2 month course.

Thank you, kind user.

are you fucking retarded? thats all just marketing a salesmanship. people dont actually get hired.
as someone who interviews 10+ people a week and goes through hundreds of resumes, rarely is a bootcamp counted as anything

Cate to tell us what is it that you really count as important when hiring someone?

for junior: 2 good projects, 4-5 smaller ones, all code on github with tests, comments, readme, multiple commits.

cover letter: brief explanation why you want to work for the company and what you know how do to, dont tell your whole life story (every god damn junior dev puts their whole life story here, dont do that). interview: dress nicely, make eye contact, dont be arrogant, be honest and if you dont know something tell them, dont try to guess

meant for

>Interests:
>GNU/Linux
>Free software

straight in to the trash

holy shit you killed holeguy
HE FINALLY BECAME A MEME AND YOU KILLED HIM

Really? Why?

>codecademy not listed

so is codecademy not good?

The apparent success of bootcamp programs is not due to the quality of the programs themselves, but due to the type of people who enroll themselves in these programs. These are the type of people who have a strong drive to learn and practice their skill, but need a little bit of guidance and direction.

If you're hoping that having a bootcamp on your resume will get you a job, it's probably not for you. If you're hoping that going to bootcamp will give you an opportunity to better focus on building your skills and your portfolio, then it may be a good idea.