Do we live in a simulation, Sup Forums?

Do we live in a simulation, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

simulation-argument.com/
technologyreview.com/s/541836/new-memory-chips-store-data-not-with-electricity-but-with-light/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

No, we live in a botnet

/thread

If such a thing has ever existed, chances are we in are in several nested simulations

Almost certainly, assuming something even remotely close to our current progress in processing power over a couple hundred years.

not in the sense you're on about

in a nihilistic sense that everything is fake, yes

Assuming we do; is progress in technology just using more and more of our host's resources? At some point will be max out those resources?

Website with a lot of papers and other resources on the subject.
simulation-argument.com/

This.

>This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation.

maybe you are but I'm in the real world

why does it matter, if you lived in a simulation, you would be part of it.

if the simulatin stopped, you'd be gone too

Because it's interesting! And we could try and break it.

This. When you die, you escape the botnet.

Ancestor botnet

>2016
>not knowing that programmed obsolescence is just a part of the botnet

well, maybe the only thing you could find out is that you are some sort of conciousness which creates this "dream world". and once you awake to this fact, and find out there is nothing else to do than go back to dreaming..

what would you gain from this??

I'm rather interested in the question if we live at all.

this.

What the fuck even is reality? Why is there existence, and how is there existence? How are there rules and properties that allow for universes to exist in the first place?

It makes more sense for there to be nothing, it's fucking with my head

where does the computer simulation live, and is that place a simulation in itself?

There is more ti existence than any of us can understand, we try to explain it with our simple views and our "everything has a beginning and an end", anything outside that is just not comprehendable for humans. Thinking about this is a waste of time, believe me I have done it for years and it only makes you unhappy that you will never know (maybe with sudoku)

Lucy is a pretty cool movie.
Cant wait for the sequel.

U are retarded. I highly suggest suicide.

Simulation != realization that if everything can be described using mathematics, it follows everything is mathematics.

Simulation = if everything came from single point in time/space (big bang) that means everything is already determined and only variable that is changing is t.

Now back to 9gag and other "deep talk" xDXD
maybe post on /sci? or dmtnexus :^)

just watched the trailer. are you stupid? it looks like a shit movie

no.

who made that boynet then?

>idiot can't comprehend the fact that the universe didn't have a beginning but has always been.

Sorry your low-intelligence mind cannot fathom beyond "DURRHURR BUT IT HAS TO DURRFURR HAVE STARTED SOMEWHERE!!!"

dumbest movie ever

>if you speed up a video of a car driving by eventually the car appears to not be there
>are we really here?

what?

That shit made no sense.

And yes we are in a simulation. But you don't get released when you die. If all you are is electrical impulses then i would assume you'd more likely be reintegrated at that point. Basically reincarnation.

Reincarnation is real.

Your "mind" gets transferred to a different planet light-years away every time you die.

Think of it like game servers.

A people similar to the Jews.

Since I asked my mom when I was a kid about what happens when you die, I've always felt like you just stop feeling anything, the end, your soul and whatever psychological attributes are left of you disappear into an infinite black pool of other souls that are no longer in use because people died.
does anyone feel the same?

>you live in a simulation of a basement

How sad.

It really doesn't matter.

well, it saves power for the thing rendering it. just need to render basement, internet, and your parents

Whats the point of transferring a mind when babies are born without knowledge?

It makes no sense at all.

no

I picture it more like capturing lightning in a bottle. eventually the bottle will break and the light will escape.

to me there is not such thing as "soul".
just compare to machines...
when a machine stops function to the point is declare dead / hard brick, it just ends there no soul nor anything goes anywhere. Its the same thing to us, organic machines, when we die its just like you gonna sleep just without dreams.

I can interpret this two ways
A: days of lifetime is lightning which is caught in the bottle, and when the bottle breaks you die
B: number of dead people is the amount of lightning in the bottle, and when it breaks something happens

you confuse memory with a soul. If you strip all things related to the body when you die and you are just a mesh of light or electricity you wouldn't have the data you were storing in the previous body.

I see what you mean, and I feel like this is also a very valid possibility

closer to A, but i meant more that the lightning is the soul and the bottle is the soul/vessel

Your vessel only increases your abilities, it doesn't affect your soul. You can reincarnate as a completely different being oblivious to your previous vessel. You reincarnating as a human this cycle allowed you to gain as much intelligence as you currently have, next cycle you might be a dog that is crazy for sticks or a completely different being on a completely different planet.

meant body/vessel

so the soul expands until it can't fit in the body (bottle) anymore?

The electricity that flows into a computer doesn't die when the computer dies. It gets transferred to something else. a different device.

I think only the consciousness gets transferred, the sense of "I am". Maybe that never dies in the first place, but without a brain and memory you wouldnt know.

You'd have to have an earlier memory as a reference point to know that you you are alive, and without a brain (which stores memories) that would be hard to achieve.

After death you might be as a goldfish, still have conciousness, but cant remember that you have it

no, like the body the bottle is fragile and can break easily. trying to break or shatter lightning would be very hard though.

so basically, the lightning can be trapped in something but that something will break long before the lightning would.

I just dont understand what value a soul would have if its body and memories are erased.

If you are a book. The soul are the papers and the letters are your consciousness and memories. Then written story is what gives that book value.

ahhhh, i see, pretty nice theory user

If you define yourself by your knowledge, life experiences and other such things, then yes, you die since your new vessel will not be the same as your old one.

Your soul lives on however. You might have previously been hitler, but next cycle you might be mother theresa.

The driver (soul) is always the same, however the vessel shapes his person (character, morals, interests and so on).

YOU will be YOU, however YOU are defined by your physical limitations such as body, brain and similar.

What I'm trying to say is that your conciousness lives on, however it is only conciousness without knowledge, intelligence or anything physical. Putting you in a completely different vessel will change everything about you, except your conciousness.

Just like those Whoppers. Someone else will eat them.

This is what I believe as well.

look at it from Indian philosophy perspective. The soul would be the experience.

If you want an analogy, the body and the world is a movie playing out, and the soul is the watcher of the movie.

Also, reading the bhagavad gita, they literally believe that the experiencer has no effect on what is happening.

They are basically accepting determinism to be true, and as far I now most ""scientists"" like Sam harris would probably agree with them.

>tfw people spawn camp you after you've waited a million years

god damnit

Exactly, and when a story is finished, you get to write a new one. If you put too much value in what you are now you forget about what you could be tomorrow. Also, data can be stored in many ways. DNA is data accumulated over millions of years.

I also believe you cant affect your life. Because everything is a reaction to something else. On an atomic level and even from a nature/nurture point of view.

We do have the illusion of free will.

>DNA is data accumulated over millions of years.
really? you believe that? I would see DNA as a project in a version control system, which got built upon and improved over millions of years. but accumulated?? why would you accumulate it?

I'm undecided yet. I believe I can affect it some degree.

To be perfectyl honest I believe something like an AI/god creates and simultanuously experiences everything. My body is just another impot for the "God" and based on it and my brains processing it makes future decisions.

So I basically blame God for everything bad thats happen to me. But I cant blame him too hard, because he experiences me and gets fucked too

DNA is an accumulation of data shared by survivors within a certain environment. Only when data is shared does it become important. If you were the greatest example of a being ever created, the only one, and you died, that data you had within you would be for nothing.

That's what the ancient Stoic Greeks believed.That the universe is one. And that we are all just a part of it.

but word accumulation? I would rahter use "building upon". Its like releasing beter version of something, which got new capabilities and better "code".

also, notice how the human embryo looks like fish and mammals with tail until a certain stage.

we are basically the latest version of the earth dna software.

Indians believe that too. But yeah, after reading Marcus aurelius meditations, i feel like he got many of his ideas from eastern philosoph (even the name of the book, meditations)

Marcus didnt name the book. The book is a collection of some of his personal notes and works.

But reading ancient works it's quite clear that both old and new religions and philosophies all build on top of each other. It's a shame people only became literate and started documenting history quite recently in human history.

ac·cu·mu·late
əˈkyo͞om(y)əˌlāt/
verb
gather together or acquire an increasing number or quantity of.
"investigators have yet to accumulate enough evidence"
synonyms: gather, collect, assemble; More
gradually gather or acquire (a resulting whole).
"her goal was to accumulate a huge fortune"
gather or build up.
"the toxin accumulated in their bodies"

essentially it's the same thing

But as I was saying before, it's not like you can't store some form of data in light, even if it is just a basic piece of code meant to create drive. To entice movement on our part.

technologyreview.com/s/541836/new-memory-chips-store-data-not-with-electricity-but-with-light/

If we live in a simulation, how do we hack it so I can simulate a girlfriend?

>documenting history quite recently in human history.
maybe many of the books and libraries got burned down. I've seen some documentary where they talked how islam (same as christianity) was very intolerant towards ""blasphemous"" books. And everything except the Quran/Bible were pretty much blasphemous to them.

Watch the movie "13th Floor"

Well, I live in the Netherlands. And before the Romans came we have no documented history. While archeological findings go back hundreds of thousands of years.

take dmt??

I dont know why you care so much about "recording" history. But if you really interested in that, there are some theories about black holes acting as storage drives.

I'm more inclined that black holes are alternate universes, but who knows. Maybe science will some day find out.

>Well, I live in the Netherlands.
you were barbarians back then.

great, always wanted to watch that movie and now all torrent sites got taken down except piratebay, whcih is shit

you do realize the mass destruction Romans did to the druid society? Most early European society was wiped out by Romans and then Christianity. Christianity even going so far as to re-purpose early holidays as their own.

I dont know. There isnt a lot written about that in the Roman records about this place. The romans here were heavily militarized and so were the warrior tribes here. Most which has been written is about war. Not much has been written about the peaceful periods and life in those periods.

You're missing the point. Have you ever watched the movie Matrix?