Distros

What distro and DE (And WM, I guess) do you use and why, Sup Forums?

I use Ubuntu 16.04 with GNOME as both my DE and WM. Loving the community support on both, and it's not as ugly as Unity.

bump

Cound't agree more OP.

I was on 14.04 till I clean installed ubuntu gnome 16.04 this weekend.
Love how they for fucking once (amongst other things) polished the animations between opening and closing things, and overall made the system more consistent.

Also this kernel is doing wonders for my battery life.

Pure debian with XFCE comfy af.

windows

debian with gnome

>Sup Forums - Tumblr

Arch with XMonad for tiling, dwm for floating. Got Debian on another partition with just XMonad, and Windows 8.1 on another partition, with the default shell and WM.

mint 17.3 mate
just werks

Ubuntu 16.04 with KDE.
Loving KDE atm. Would migrating to OpenSUSE be preferable, though?

this

I use Arch with Cinnamon on my desktop, MATE on my laptop.
Cinnamon is all the eye candy of GNOME with all the functionality of a traditional desktop.
For my laptop, I'm willing to go lighter on the eye candy for lower resource usage.

Ubuntu with Unity. I used to have the taskbar on the side in my WinXP days, so I'm used to it. I think you can move the unity bar around these days, I stopped caring about extensive ricing, I spend most of my time in a fullscreen terminal emulator anyway, so I rice that.
Gnome-terminal with the zsh shell with oh-my-zsh plugins out the ass

Sourcemage with Openbox,
because I like the "theme" of the distro. I don't care too much about window managers though. I switch a lot.

Currently using Ubuntu 16.04 on most of my PCs with Unity, but I've been playing around with GNOME and I'm liking it, thinking of making the switch. The first time I used both desktop environments, I thought they were absolutely horrid. However, with a few tweaks (changing font, icon, theme, moving launcher to the bottom and auto-hiding, and a few other minor things with the tweak tool), Unity is rather comfy in my opinion, with my two main gripes thus far being that the dash is an absolute clusterfuck to navigate, and the pressure-activated unhide of the launcher is very iffy, particularly on laptops.

GNOME, on the other hand, feels a lot shittier to me out of the box, but I do really appreciate its easy extensibility. I do have some issues with it (for instance, I dislike the way the top left is cluttered with things like the redundant "Activities" button and options for your currently open window, although I understand that's sort of a hold-over from GNOME 2. I find Unity's window title bar/top panel integration to be a bit more elegant. I also wish the application overview had some modicum of organization, similar to, say, the start/applications menus of MATE, Cinnamon, XFCE, etc.), I figure that after enough dicking around it'll be exactly how I like it.

Fedora 24 with Gnome3. I've been distro hopping lately but I feel like this is the setup I'll stick with

>Void
>i3 gaps

I like runinit and i3 gaps is comfy

KDE Neon.

I liked Kubuntu for the most part but, with every reinstall (I distro hopped a lot). something new would fuck up with it. (I tried openSUSE at one point during this and found none of the increased control to be useful for my needs.) So it seemed reasonable to try out what is basically "Kubuntu, by KDE."

After all the distro hopping, I think I've finally found one I want to stick with because goddamn - this works wonderfully.

>buy thinkpad
>best laptop I've ever owned
>play with linux booted from USB
>go back to windows
>BSOD
>totally borked
>install Lubuntu
>have issues
>install Ubuntu
>it actually works

No more screen tearing, didn't have to install drivers myself, non-free codecs included, brebby guud
I'm a total linux noob but am learning every day.
I was really pleased to see that the thinkpad FN buttons and volume buttons worked by default though, I wasn't expecting that.

Why is it that I get permission denied every time I try to drop a folder in etc though? I want to install Icefox.

You need to be root in order to dick around with the folders in /. You'll find that, in general, Linux tends to be much more stringent with regards to user permissions and read-only type stuff.

That's just so you don't mess with any files that are system files if you want gain permission type in terminal
Sudo (file manager)

why not lunar?

Slackware and i3

He should probably use gksu/gksudo instead since he's almost assuredly using a graphical file manager, using sudo with graphical applications can cause some issues. Alternatively, if he's so inclined, there's probably a utility somewhere or some tweak he can do so that he can just right-click on his file manager and press "Run as root" or something like that.

Because I can't cast spells in Lunar.
Sourcemag is the only distro with magic.

I've never used Linux before, just installed Manjaro on a Thinkpad.

i thought that shit was long dead. interesting.

Forgot to add, using KDE and KWin

I use xubuntu because I like xfce's blue better than canonical's purple and orange and mint's puke green. I like debian, but ubuntu-based distributions seem to have more features and more up-to-date software than stable. They also boot faster, which is nice when running on a laptop.
As far as rpm-based distros and arch and suse and whatever else go, I used fedora once and it crashed on me, so fuck that. CentOS is nice for certain workplaces and servers, software repos are not fresh/large enough for my personal machine.
I would like to play with puppy/slackware at some point, but I haven't got around to it.
Gentoo is for ricers.

Ubuntu 14.04 with XFCE 4.12

>Manjaro on a Thinkpad
That was -exactly- my introduction into Linux, minus KDE/KWin (I used XFCE). I wanted to be a cool kid and use something Arch-based rather than >Noobuntu.

Worked nicely for a short time (although there was some stupid shit I had to configure out of the box), then I started to get a slew of fucking stupid issues (for example, some extremely obscure problem where Xorg was hanging every 15 seconds) and shit was breaking left and right, even though I had hardly done anything at all to the installation. Ultimately said "fuck it" and went with Ubuntu, and sure enough, everything justwerks™ out of the box and I haven't had any issues.

Arch and i3

Are you 733t hackr? Are you in anomolous?

Same as OP but with 14.04.

I use Gentoo with spectrwm generally.

I use Fedora 24 with GNOME.

If you're a GNOME fan, you belong on Fedora, at least if you don't want a DIY solution like Arch or Gentoo. It's the only distro that I've used recent versions of GNOME on where managing application folders through GNOME Software works properly. It also comes with way less software out of the box than Ubuntu GNOME or openSUSE with GNOME. Best place for a fan of that particular DE.

There's also tools like Fedy that make setting up a clean system an absolute breeze. You have to enable RPM Fusion or UnitedRPMs if you want proprietary software, but it's a pretty small amount of work and then you've just got such a cleaner, more stable system than Ubuntu. To me it's the perfect intermediate middle ground between something like Ubuntu and something like Arch. You'll learn a lot but it's still easy enough to manage.

>using the cuck version of RHEL

NO,ubuntu is the best distro right now.thats why archfags and gentoofags hate it so much because if they used it they wouldnt have to spend 10 hours daily on restoring their system.

Debian testing and i3-gaps,

>>How'd I do Sup Forums?

Ubuntu XFCE with AwesomeWM

Arch Linux with XFCE. Like a dream

Ubuntu with Cinnamon. I want Mint but their kernel is too old

I was using Arch for the last two years but then I fucked up Pacman's catalog to the point of no return and got too pissed off at it to fix it

Fedora 24 w/ KDE

Archlinux, Ubuntu
Mate

Arch with OpenBox.
Very happy with it.

Currently using Manjaro 16.06.1 with Xfce, used to use Debian with Cinnamon but files started corrupting and I moved over

It would be the best if the software wasn't old as fuck. The primary reason for why I use Arch is fresh software (and latest stable kernel).

Moved from Ubuntu to OpenSUSE. Best desktop distro I've used. It takes a bit of learning to understand YaST but when you do it's a pretty great tool. Not sure how I feel about KDE, its a bit annoying at times.

Agreed, on top of everything you said Fedora is the only distro where everything worked on my laptop out of the box, without needing to configure shit. Even the small things like saving your brightness settings on shutdown never worked properly with any *buntu distro I've tried.

Gentoo with dwm its stable as fuck and works

i use elementary OS freya with whatever DE comes preloaded,

not like they have anything better to do with their time

Arch with AwesomeWM,

Coming from XFCE, tiling seems like a useful thing. It's my first day so yeah.

It really doesnt take long to maintain gentoo system, yea install takes a while, not that long i 8nstalled it in an afternoon while studying for midterm, but after that its easy. And gentoo is rock solid i never ever had any issues.