Is freelance a scam?

Is freelance a scam?

Freelance

Only when it's you OP

no. you can hire sanjeets for 5 bucks. what? you want to freelance yourself? hahahahaha

gyfo

Sup Forums NEETs are not freelancers, tgey just live leeching their parents

>see freelance on resume

>"freelance" the resume into the trash

>freelance

Nobody have real arguments itt
Go back tofap with anime faggots

Yes and no.

Yeah, you can make a little money on it. I have.

But it's shit. So, so shit. You will work and compete with pajeets 99% of the time. And you'll potentially do a lot of work for almost nothing. This is, of course, assuming you use one of those big managers like guru or whatever.

It doesn't hurt to give it a try if you want, but the better thing to do is try to make a name for yourself and do things yourself. Or better yet: get a real job.

There are people there who get pay 6$ per hour and other people that earn 25$ per hour..

What % the freelance web eat of your income?
>but the better thing to do is try to make a name for yourself and do things yourself
How?
Do you mean by yourself without using those freelance web plataforms or what?

freelance means you're disposable, not a valuable asset

You're right. Those are also the people with years with real job experience under their belt, and that have likely been freelancing for years. Anyone starting out is due for really shitty conditions, if they can get jobs at all. It's a pretty cutthroat market.

>What % the freelance web eat of your income?
Depends on the platform. Most follow a model like "$5 or 10%, whichever is higher".
And yes. Being your own manager. I've obviously never done it, but it's possible. Lots of networking, lots of selling yourself on social media, etc.

It is worth to give a try without real life job experience only if you live outside USA like in eastern Europe for example?
>Anyone starting out is due for really shitty conditions
How many time till you start getting at least a decent amounth of money to survive, a year of being a slave?
2 years of freelancing experience?
Comoe on dude pajjeets do this..

Do you know any forum from noob freelancers?

Your nationality doesn't really matter, as far as I'm aware.
>How many time till you start getting at least a decent amounth of money to survive, a year of being a slave?
No clue. Again, I only did a few jobs for some small cash. It depends on how skilled you are and how good you are at convincing people, I guess. It'll take a lot less time if you do things well and network a bunch, I guess.

Not really, no. I just jumped right into it back when I did. Check the webdev general sticky. There's some guides there for freelancing/working at home.

>webdev general sticky
Err, not sticky, the OP.

>Your nationality doesn't really matter, as far as I'm aware.
You are right about that, but what I mean by this is that if you earn 800 US$ per month you cant live in Texas with that but maybe in Servia you can live decently
Yeah I forgot about the web developer OP thread.
Thanks user

Are we talking about a specific service?

If so, could someone link to their official site or something? Curious.

Don't call yourself a "Freelance X". Call yourself an "X Consultant" or a just a Contractor who does "Contract work in the field of X"
People think higher of those words it seems.

Programing apps
Web developer
Excel
Anything with a program

Thaks for the advise user, really

So we're talking about just simply 'work you'd do from home on a computer'?

Plenty of profitable things like that... I do some myself from time to time. Mostly website stuff, because is least effort possible and can be quite a bit of money towards my hobby of dressing my wife up like Chinese cartoon characters.

Oh, this for sure.

"IT Consultant" sounds fancy and fucking amazing to people. It makes them feel (without explicitly stating) that you were 'in charge' of things and were 'relied upon'.

>work you'd do from home on a computer'?
>Plenty of profitable things like that
Really? Like what kind of things can I learn?
I was thinking of learning excel for example..
How do you freelance as a web developer?
The answer is in the OP /web developer general/ "stiky" threads?

>Is freelance a scam?
I don't think so, but starting will be hard

>learning curve
>no reputation
>little to no budget

If you can deal with all of the above, then is not a scam.

So is hard at the beggining but doable with effort and worth the starting effort for the future results($)?

Faggot

Learn all the major MS Office programs, to start. You'll need them regardless basically. Because pretty graphs and charts!

How do you work as a web developer? Well, you have to be good at the following things first:
1) Graphic design. I don't mean making stupid shoops and stuff. I mean you have to figure out how to position things and information in a way that makes people feel 'invited' and interested.
This is the hardest fucking thing in my opinion.
2) HTML and CSS. Particularly you NEED to be a god at CSS because it's how you are going to implement the design, which you created by knowing how to do #1.
3) JavaScript. You'll need this for doing things that people say 'but I want it to act like this because '.
4) PHP, ASPX, other web-programming stuff.

You can learn 4 as you go kinda, but it's gonna be rough. Keep in mind E-commerce stuff is basically off the table until you master actual web programming stuff.

5) You need to be good at listening to a retarded client who knows nothing about this, smiling (or sounding over the phone like you're smiling) and converting what the retard says to actual, real world plans.

After all that, shit, just advertise. Start small, use word of mouth to move up to bigger jobs.

I forgot, one last thing:
Everything you do is now your resume. Try your hardest to make things 'as good as they can be' in the beginning, even if you're not making that much off it.
Also, unless client objects or something, put a little 'designed by' note at the bottom. And have your own (good) website linked from that.

I have hired several people on oDesk/UpWork, and I have interviewed people for real-life work, both online and offline. If anyone wants more info, or wants me to critique their resume/CV, post away!

what kind of xp do you expect from them?

not technology

I have hired a web developer, and I needed someone who could be given complex tasks and carry them out, so a freshie was not an option. Ended up hiring a guy with 7+ years of experience, but I would have accepted someone with as little as 2 years, if I could see that they knew what they were doing.

Also hired a couple of people to help update countries. Zero experience needed. Just needed to know that they could learn fast, understood PC parts, and could communicate effectively.

Experience is extremely important in some areas, much less so in others.

>free

as in freedom.