Are external hard drives a meme?

are external hard drives a meme?

I need lots of storage quick.

Painfully so.
Get a sata dock and internal hdds.
If you really are going the hoarder way in the end you will save lots of money too as an added bonus.

do you also ask strangers on the internet which hand to wipe with?

Aren't those a role of the dice? Most of them have terrible controllers and as a result bad speed either r/w.

depends, desktop or laptop? Yes for desktop, since you can just throw more or bigger hard drives inside the PC itself.

You won't get sata speeds that is for sure and true some do have problems with either a particular model hdd refusing to work with it or also problems while formatting the hdds. I always use internal sata to format the hdds and usually I have no more problems. Still it is the only sane solution is you are a hoarder like me with 20+ hdds.

i bought a 2TB 2.5" shitgate external for $65.
wait for sales.

but desktop hard drives are more expensive desu

Seagate 3.5 drives are fine in my experience, its high capacity portables that have the poor speeds and have started to fail on me.

Not a meme. They make it way easier to copy and back up data when you need to. Having to scp/rsync/whatever data over your LAN en masse sucks, but it's sometimes necessary when you use hard drives internal to your desktop.

>failrate

no thanks

No they're not.

>he thinks Seagate is bad

ok kid

Always get the ones you can open up and fuck with, otherwise it's a huge pain to get them apart when the controller fails and you need to rescue your data.

> Are * a meme?
Fuck off

The cloud is free.

>oh no X is a meme now I can't use it!
Bhahahaha, fucking Sup Forums, I tell you, astonishing.

No. I have a 1tb seagate external that's like 8 years old, and I recently bought a 6tb.

They're not if you're constantly using the contents. They are if you're using them for long term storage. Get a HDD dock and some HDD cases. You're set for at least 8 years.

I plan to use them very constantly.

i have tons of files on my pc that i need on a drive like immediately, but i live in bumfuck nowhere so there's only a shitty store with externals and thats about it.

Why is cat so perfect

>not posting cat with streaked hair
This is best cat