Linux Server Distro

Best distro to run for linux that is either a server or desktop version that works well as a server.

ubuntu server

Centos

CentOS

I haven't tried centos yet, is it better than ubuntu server?

ubuntu server for simplicity

honestly use ubuntu server and debian port on my raspberry pis.

kinda just werks, and low maintenance. find it hard searching for a reason to quit it.

Debian, of course.

Not sure whether everyone else in this thread is trolling is simply misguided.

Gentoo works (yea, there are companies using it for servers, and I myself have successfully used a home server / browsing box with Gentoo for over a decade now).

Of course almost anything with an extensive stable package repository can work fine.

Debian works. Redhat works, Ubuntu (the longer term versions) work. Arch or Fedora or whatever surely work.

Install any distro with KDE or gnome.

GNOME on a server?

Gentoo is optimal, but if you find it hard to maintain just use Debian.

I would also recommend CentOS and Debian as best server distros.

But explain why a company should install gentoo on a server? It's shit to install and you have to compile every shit package? Tell us, user.

Gnome or KDE ona Server? Are you fcking retarded? It's would be a better choice to pick something low like XFCE oder LXDE...

Why would you put a DE on a server, especially something like gnome

Why CentOS? Not baiting just curious as to why

centos7 is the way to go

>Why would you put a DE on a serve
to change wallpapers obviously

Why would you put a wallpaper on a server?

>Why CentOS

it's uniform and used a lot in the field, and as of version 7 has a really decent desktop spin

ubuntu tried to be a special snowflake with upstart and i dont trust canonical to make good decisions.

fwiw bsd is just as good if you're not looking for a 3D stack

>Why would you put a wallpaper on a server
so you can change it after you log on

Gentoo hardened

useless unless you take the time to learn the tools and at that point you can pick your own distro

> But explain why a company should install gentoo on a server?
Many reasons. Best go read up on why the companies that published that they do that did it?

> It's shit to install and you have to compile every shit package?
It's actually very easy to deal with.

Can be one of the easiest options if whatever business requirements force a set of packages x,y,z to be fixed at some version or have some patch or special feature enabled / disabled for whatever reason.

>Can be one of the easiest options if whatever business requirements force a set of packages x,y,z to be fixed at some version or have some patch or special feature enabled / disabled for whatever reason.

because you know, ansible, puppet, chef, cfengine, etc etc etc... are all so difficult

Slackware

They certainly get used with Gentoo too?

And more cloud-based tooling as well.

i was just pointing out version control is a non-features

as are 'cloud tools', which i imagine are just more config mgmt options

ubuntu server

Hi Jake/pnom

Debian, no question

this is by far the most useless comment of this thread

Debian is my preference, and what I use for server software right now. No GUI, of course.

Following Debian, I like Fedora. I just prefer APT over dnf.

If the company is footing the bill, RHEL and HP generally for server

opensuse leap
because of yast
even in text mode

Are there any hardening CentOS/Debian guides or tutorials outta there? Or you have made some experience or tips?

Fedora.
Use it on my workstation and I use it as a cloud based server. Everything else is trash.

CoreOS is fantastic if you've bought into the containerization meme

> i was just pointing out version control is a non-features
Even without the tools there you could tell most distros to stop updating packages x,y,z, and just install the right version.

What you can't necessarily do as easily is work with packages directly or indirectly depending on those x,y,z, which may be bleeding edge or really old.

Gentoo is faster for that.

> as are 'cloud tools', which i imagine are just more config mgmt options
Mostly they are a means to deal with cloud stacks running virtual machines or (semi-) self-contained application packages, but yes, that includes the content and configuration of those packages.

I'm not as familiar with CentOS, but I'd imagine it's similar.

First, install the base system, and whatever else you want from the installer (Debian can allow you to choose packages at install, like certain server packages). After you have installed it, do everything you would do for any other computer. Update, hardware support, special software for normal use (like if you use a VPN). Then, start installing server software. Start with one project at a time, and find and read multiple tutorials. There are many Debian tutorials, but they don't cover everything. They're often best used as a reference, along with 3rd party tutorials.

Taking it this way will allow you to comfortably learn the system, without being overwhelmed all at once.

I currently run a Debian Stable server with no GUI, a VPN server, ssh, samba, and apache. Take it one at a time, and you will find yourself getting comfortable with many of the inner workings of Linux. Much of what you learn will be either the same or similar on most other Linux distros.

What's the best os to use for a bot?

If each bot has to represent a separate install; it can be vm but what's the basic - lowest resource hogging and most basic os to run it on?

Arch net install

literally openSUSE

This