Have you read this book Sup Forums

have you read this book Sup Forums

nah, its full of old fogie ideas

nah it's about the fundamental concepts of computer science and is still applicable

also lisp dialects are good

no i am not good at math

I'm currently reading it..

It's pretty fun, I never thought I would like a Lisp langauge, but the way they introduce it it's just great to build everything up from the scratch.

SICP, K&R and "Clean Code" are the best computer books I've read so far..

I tried but the beginning chapters describe stuff I already knew so I dropped it out of boredom

I always considered this book a huge meme, augmented by that shitty gif of that Steve Balmer look-alike crossing out computer and science cuz CS is about neither, apparently

I'd love to see him program that lisp shit without a computer lmao

yea it's called lambda calculus, you don't need a computer

That's Harold Abelson you dimwit. Stupid newfaggot.

Tried reading clean code.
Felt.. Bloated?
It had the most annoying way to convey something - bitch, I got what you mean at start, no need to repeat it in 10 different ways.

Also buzzwords.

>algebra's hard

calculus is hard as well

Maybe you should try Gender Studies

Yes, I've read that book. It explains a lot about many things computers work. Learns how to write "pretty" listings of programs and encourages to learn functional languages such as Lisp and its stripped-down, academic version -- Scheme.

no

not yet.

This is a comfy feeling that I haven't known for a long while

>calculus is hard
not in CS

>integral over a set of data
it's just sum() on the data multiplied by a constant

>derivative of a set of data
it's just the difference between a point and the next point, at every point, multiplied by a constant

Analytical solutions are for cucks.

I do like 80% of my lisping on paper, then punch it into a computer when I go home at night. His point is that calling the field "computer science" is like calling geometry "ruler science." The computer is just a tool, and it may not be what computer scientists actually use 1,000 years from now.

>2016
>reading books
w3schools has all the HTML/JS/CSS tutorials you need for the new age of programming

CS isn't just about using the computer though. At least not where I live.

Don't know how it goes in American schools, but I've had a lot of computer-centric subjects revolving around computer architecture, electronics etc., not just programming and maths, so to me, computer science is a very fitting name for the subject, honestly, and I found what Abelson did really dumb.

no, Yui-senpai, I haven't read that book.

why do you ask?

in american schools computer science is kind of a branch term for programming, software design, and other related fields such as computability theory, cryptography, artificial intelligence, weird math fields like lambda calculus etc.

Scheme and lisp are literally Jewish languages

He is making a deep theoretical point about what computer programming actually is on a fundamental level. It is a way of formalizing certain kinds of processes in order to produce certain kinds of results. Computers are used today, but algorithms don't need computers to exist, they describe a sort of formalized reasoning .

this book is like kryptonite for pajeet. just go read the amazon reviews to see what type of people don't like this book.

same t-b-h lad. i don't know if i should even try anymore

Yes, it was trash.

I'm partway through it, it's very enjoyable. I like Scheme.

>tfw too dumb for the exercises