/gcg/ - Graphics Card General - Ghetto mods Edition

Talk about anything graphics card related here. Show your card, brag about your purchase, ask for advice, and discuss what's coming out.
Leave the shilling at the door please.

This thread's theme is ghetto mods. What did you /diy/ in your card? Straped 2 Arctic F9 PWM replacing the stock fans on my Asus 760, with good results, 5ºC drop all across the board.

Other urls found in this thread:

fudzilla.com/news/graphics/41095-nvidia-details-european-geforce-gtx-1060-prices
youtube.com/watch?v=AinraLi7eHI
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/95359-sapphire-radeon-rx-460-nitro-4gb/?page=1
computerbase.de/2016-08/radeon-rx-460-test/4/
hothardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-460-review-with-asus-strix?page=5
youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc
youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I heard EGA cards are not fully compatible with CGA modes. Is this true? I have a Chips EGA card on my XT but I only have a 5153 CGA monitor, so I'm running it in CGA mode. Should I upgrade to a VGA card or will I be bottlenecked by the 10MHz NEC V20 CPU I have in the thing?

i attached a fan on top of my stock i7 cpu cooler. i used 3m tape and glue

3m tape is used on cars to tape parts

So looking at the comparison of termps/power draw... for very similar performance, the 470 is pulling a lot less than the 480

Is there some fundamental flaws in the design of the card that somehow made it to production? think the 470 got delayed to fix the 480's issues?

There's is a point of diminishing returns when overclocking, as in power draw is exponential to clock increase. I think the 480 already goes over that point on polaris, that's why the consumption on the 470 drops so much with a small decrease in clocks.

Just bought a 1070 FTW as part of a system upgrade. Going to it from a 670 is going to be amazing.

>tfw went from 280 to 1070
>turned everything up and it still barely notices that I'm asking it to do work

>mfw went from 270 to 1070
>mfw the fans don't spin up at all on older games

Is the 490x worth waiting for or should I wait and get a 1080ti? Upgrading from a xfx 7870. Mainly for gaming.

It's a cpu

>with good results
>5ºC drop all across the board

There's no info on what the 490's performance will be. And we don't even know if there will be a 1080ti.
But anything 480/1060 and above is already a sizable upgrade.

And it's not good why exactly?

>went from 980 to 1070
>went from 100mhz oc on water to 200mhz oc on air
These things overclock like demons I tell you. 2GHz is hardly a stretch for them.

10ºC temp drop can be called meaningful, 15 decent, 20 good.
For example, i changed Asus 6850 DirectCU HSF to Accelero S1+2xNF-P12's@1100RPM and load gpu core temp lowered 22ºC and vram temps 25ºC. So, that change was worth it, unlike single number.

>Accelero S1+2xNF-P12's@1100RPM

What you are missing is this is not a new heatsink. It's new fans on the tiny stock one.

Pic related, that thing isn't even 1cm thick.

All I fucking want is a PowerColr 470 Red Devil, and they are never in fucking stock.

Rip Mr Wattojew

I don't think they were ever in stock in the first place.
What's the point of the outer two heat pipes if the thermal paste doesn't even cover them?

>What's the point of the outer two heat pipes if the thermal paste doesn't even cover them?
they often reuse those heatsinks.

to put in perspective, imagine a heatsink designed with four heatpipes so that they will all make contact with the die of a 980ti. the GM100 die is about 600mm^2. the company can save money and take the same heatsink and slap it on a 960, yet GM106 only has a die size of 400mm^2. so it might not make contact on the 960, but it will on the 980ti.

the principle by some people is that it saves money for the consumer and adding more heatpipes will still cool down the card, albeit not as efficiently as the pipes in contact. evga had a fiasco about this same thing way back when they were using acx 2.0 cards that didn't make die contact. they worked just fine but people got pissy about it. also notice how the third heatpipe isn't even plugged anyways.

This, Asus has an habit of reusing heatsinks, especially Nvidia ones on AMD cards, but apparently they learned from before, and current ones are overengineered for the cards they're put in. Asus engineers might be lazy, but they're not stupid.

GTX 1070 is god damn amazing and runs super cool even with a 1950 oc. Shits cash as fuck.

They were, but for like an hour at Newegg,

am I just retarded? first time with a GTX card, why does it only go up to such a low number?

Does anyone know if a table with suggested MSRP for various European countries like:
fudzilla.com/news/graphics/41095-nvidia-details-european-geforce-gtx-1060-prices
was ever released for 1070/1080? I want to see how much exactly are the retailers jewing me for(because the meager $8 difference between the cheapest founders edition and cheapest regular edition suggests it's a lot).

I can only find the usd/euro/pound MSRP.

So has anyone seen this?
youtube.com/watch?v=AinraLi7eHI
The 480 is only a few % shy of the 1060 now.

RX 460 reviews are up
hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/95359-sapphire-radeon-rx-460-nitro-4gb/?page=1
computerbase.de/2016-08/radeon-rx-460-test/4/
hothardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-460-review-with-asus-strix?page=5

Seems to be between the 750ti and the 950 in most cases,still beats the 950 in DOOM though.
All in all pretty good card,just hope that there is some sort of really cheap reference version.

Yes. I want to see the MSI RX 480 Gaming X benched with that driver. I'd also like to see a side by side benchmark of the MSI Gaming R9 390X just out of interest.

seems pointless since gtx 950s can be had for around 110-130 now.

is it worth it to AIO watercool my 290 Tri-X? I want to get more life out of it, but I've reached the max stable limits with the current cooler

To the user that sold me his gtx 980 for 200 bucks thank you so much.

Definitely not pointless. I'm runnin through 950's now and can't find a single one below 150€. Meanwhile I'm finding 2Gb 460's for 130€.

Yea,but the 460 still beats the 950 by a good margin in dx12 games so its more future proof.

I want to run 4k on anygame out there easily, what should i get?

this shit is overpriced

Even the new titan x strugles to run modern games at max settings in 4k. If you want you can get two gtx 1080s and sli them or you can run games at medium settings on a single 1080

I know this is a troll, but I'm still curious

how can 4k be worth it? I just recently got a 1440p monitor, and while it's definitely nice, my overall gaming experience hasn't changed that much. I got the monitor for cheap, so I don't have any regret, but if I had paid $300-400 for it, I would definitely return it. a 4k monitor is even more expensive, and on top of that, you need to get a $1000+ GPU setup to actually run it at high settings. I just can't imagine the improvement is worth THAT much

then again, 4k makes more sense than 144hz 1080p panels. who the fuck is paying $300 for a 1080p monitor in 2016?

Agree on that,thats why I hope that either prices go down or that they release a reference version.
But on the bright side the prices for both the EU and the US are almost the same,so thats something I guess.

>around 950 performance
>$169

Literal trash.

more like 750 ti performance

Well it beats the 950 in most dx12 games,so thers that,but Im guessing we can also expect a slight performance boost with the next driver update like we got for the 480.

So 2 1080s sli would do the job?
No troll, i just want to build an insane pc, and use my 55 in curved 4k samsung tv as the monitor.

>tv as the monitor
but why? tvs are fucking shit for monitors on good days, but I can't imagine a 4k tv has a input response of less than 50ms

You can get a 2Gb one instead you know?

I'm not super tech savvy man, but when i have a game running at 60fps on my tv at 1080p it looks pretty nice, I've only been pc gaming for a little over a year, before that i was gaming on xbox. Wish i would have never touched consoles. Anyway i like to mod my games, i like steam more than gamestop lol, but i still like playing with a controller on a tv in a relaxed position.

'bout to get a used 580 in the mail for 75$
is it worth it?
Switching from a GTX 275.
Don't really play games and kinda regret buying this power hungry beast but it was cheap.
Also does 5xx series improve in temp over 4xx ?

1080 sli would do the job, but just be aware that not all games support sli

Lol I just sold my gtx 760 for 80 bucks, but hey enjoy your house fire

If it's shit I'll just resell it.

Thanks man, i really appreciate the help. If a game doesn't support sli, would it not run at all, or would it just use 1 graphics card? If it runs 1 card, how well would it perform in 4k, maybe dial the settings back a bit?

I ran sli for years and never once had an issue

No, wouldn't even take it for free.
For 80$ you can get a used 7950.

I wouldn't take any AMD card for free. wouldn't buy a gtx 500 series though either.

Maybe in the US.

That's good, I've heard graphics cards are starting to move away from sli, is that true and if so could that mean future issues for game compatibility with sli?

If a game doesn't support sli it will only use one card,so yeah you do have to dial back the settings.
But even a single gtx 1080 can run demanding games like crysis 3 in 4k at around 30 frames

Ok so how much better would 2 1080s be than one titan x?

about 3.50

just so you know the whole house fire meme that gets used around here was started by the very card you are buying.

titan x isn't a good gaming card personally I'm waiting for the 1080ti, but if you have the money spare the 12gigs of vram is nice

even in Canuckistan you can grab a 7950 for $100, or $80 if you're willing to haggle

Damn, and they are both around the same price range. You got a steam id?

first of all a 760 is faster then a 580, secondly go on ebay and check the sold listings to get a jist of the price

980TI Super Jetstream or 1070 Super Jetstream?

They're pretty identical in price.

Again. I'm not in the US. And I got it for 75$ shipping included and it seems to have a decent heatsink, it's the MSI Twin Frozr one.
My CPU is shit (FX 6300) and I heard Nvidia cards are less likely to get bottlenecked than AMD (driver overhead or something?)

>My CPU is shit (FX 6300) and I heard Nvidia cards are less likely to get bottlenecked than AMD (driver overhead or something?)
even accounting for that, which isn't fully true anyway, a 7950 is still better than a 580 and will be a better investment overall

or you could save up another $30 and grab a 7970

1070 obviously for better driver support, more vram and smaller power consumption. Unless you can find the 980ti on sale or cheap 2nd hand no point.

I have an old gt 220. When I tried hooking up my new 1080p monitor the resolution was shit (1280 x 1024), but when it installed the vga 220 driver and I rebooted it said no signal after the windows logo. So now I can either use the shitty resolution or nothing. Is it the old video card Sup Forums?

>not /gpug/

Not that user, but you're thinking of the gtx 480
Not to say that the 580 isn't also an absolute fire hazard

100mHz on water is kinda shit though...
+150 on shitty KFA2 (galax) stock cooler on my 980 without even trying

Failling to see the housefire desu (especially on the lightning one which is the one I got). Even the new 1080 gets hotter.

the gtx 400 series was hot but the 500 series is what really turned up the heat
youtube.com/watch?v=sRo-1VFMcbc

>overheating when overclocking
>because of drivers too
Aight buddaloo.

im making a setup so i can finally play real games.
im looking on ebay for some used gpus.

For around 160-170 bucks i could get a GTX 960 (4GB), 780, 780Ti and I just found a R9 290 for 175. Which one should i go with ?

780 ti

But we discuss the whole card and its components, not only the GPU.

its just one offer for 160 and im not rly sure if its not a bait. If I lose it which one of the others would be best ?
Seems like there are several other R9 290 for even 150. a friend told me the R9 290 is like the 970 so it should be good ?

Depends on the CPU you have. If you have a weaker cpu go with nvidia.
Also beware, there's a lot of AMD cards out there for sale and for cheap because they're being used for "mining" bitcoin, ethereum and things like that. Literally running @ 100% for months. They're pretty beat up.
GTX 780 would be my next choice.

Anyone? I'm really curious, there's one shop selling one model of the 1060 for MSRP, and the rest is about ~$40 more, I'm curious if the 1070 price gouged to the same degree.

EU Prices are @ 20-25%higher than US because you have tax included in them.

Pretty sure it doesn't, msrp is $379, so I'd expect something around 420-450€

best budget cpu to pair with a 1060? managed to pick up a 1060 for dirt cheap.

i3 6100

Im planning on buying a i3-6100 because atm im a poorfag but when i have some money again im gonna upgrade to a i5-6500.

I mainly play games like Total War, Cities Skylines, War Thunder and CS:GO.

Witcher 3 and GTA V might be the newest games id consider playing with the new PC and the reviews ive seen with the i3 + 960 seem good but the 780 gets 3000 more points in futuremark than the 960 so that should be ok... i guess ?

the i3 should serve you just fine, you might lose a few fps in CPU intensive games but nothing to worry about

nice...thanks

Is the RX 460 a good choice for a HTPC? Does it support 4k/8k GPU decoding?

Hi,

I was watching this vid:

youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y

I'm the in process of planning a new PC - will having faster-than-average RAM paired with the same i5, but with an 480 provide similar benefits? Or is this only really the case of overkill cards that need that sort of headroom?

Or should I just go for a more "normal" build (H-mobo, 2133mhz ram, etc.)?

Don't bother with OC-ing non K skylakes. It's a pain in the ass and as far as I know they even patched being able to OC them

just found a 780 for 120 bucks.

is this bait guys ?

it's not patched. you just need to downgrade bios or buy a motherboard with an external clock generator.

What is this difference between MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC and ARMOR card?
i am currently running EAH6950 DCII/2DI4S/2GD5

or you could pick up a used older I7 or I5, oc the shit out of it and have a more powerful cpu.

2600k's go for as little as 100-120 bucks

hurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Is a i5-750 going to bottleneck a 1070?
I'm not sure if upgrading my CPU is worth it.

also thought about that but getting a i5 or even i7 skylake later shouldnt be a problem so id rather get the i3 for now and upgrade later.

considering pic related is my actual pc rn im just seeking to upgrade to something that can run normal games. not like this shit that cant even do skyrim.

durdurdurbur

>Is a i5-750 going to bottleneck a 1070?
Yes. Majorly.

The 980TI is 400€ used on ebay. The 1070 is 462€ new.