What do they do better than anyone else?

Support proprietary professional software and video games.

~2014: DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS DEVELOPERS
2014-2016: POO

Make the best Spyware

best os for people who aren't unemployed neckbeards

Technically it's the software supporting the OS.

>he thinks Micro$oft is just Windows
Balmer is gone, it's not like that anymore

this

What.

spying on customers

>le windows is unstable meme
I haven't re-installed Windows 7 since 2011. It's working great to this day. Go figure.

Making stable, popular OS that runs everything you might want, works out of box, and is hard to completely break on your own.

tl/dr: JUST WERKS.

>popular OS
Pre-installed on machines without your consent

>that runs everything you might want
Almost all good shit is cross-platform (minus the games)

>and is hard to completely break on your own
1/10

Yeah shills tell me why I'm a bad person just because I don't want to spend 100(244 dollar in my country) dollars for a licence when only thing I do is browsing.
I'm listening. And I have to remind that my ideapad came with windows vista sp1, which was a buggy piece of shit, while ubuntu 10.10 worked flawless.

Pay for new loos in my community every time I convince someone to upgrade to Vindos 10.

embedded shit

Stay on your inferior freeware. Wincucks don't give a fuck. When you use linux you're a nobody. Why even share your opinion? Does it make you more justified in using linux? Is a part of the linux experience?

DirectX is the ONLY thing that keeps wangblows alive
otherwise it's completely shit

You're an idiot.

>Almost all good shit is cross-platform (minus the games)
Microsoft Office
Pretty much every piece of Adobe software
Visual Studio

no, libreoffice does not count
no, the Mac versions do not count
no, Visual Studio Code is not a replacement

>100 dollars for a broken crapware OS
>best
laughing_whores.jpg

The mac versions count you cuck.

Libre does count as a replacement. It's every bit as good as Office.
Also no one besides MS employees uses VS for actual programming.

You're an idiot.

Games?
It's the mainstream OS, so everything works? Every major software, tool, hardware etc. works.

While Linux is pretty good for coding and FagOS is for internet browsing/multimedia, Windows can do both.

>It's every bit as good as Office
Sorry, I can't take you seriously.

>Also no one besides MS employees uses VS for actual programming
Keep telling yourself that.

>when you use linux you're nobody
would I stop being nobody if I switched to windows?
>your opinions doesn't matter
Is it just because I'm not shilling like

>Microsoft Office
Why is this always so overglorified? I bet you there is 100% nothing you can do in Microsoft Office that I can't do in Latex.

Nothing that Linux can't do for free.

embrace, extend, extinguish

>replying to b8

Maybe if MS didnt try to be the final, one-stop-shop for all types of technology, they would be able to focus on what was innovative or unique and have less competition, while also raising the quality of what they make.

So to answer OP, they're not 'good' at anything, just mediocre at everything.

>Microsoft Office
>Pretty much every piece of Adobe software
>Visual Studio
GARBAGE
A
R
B
A
G
E

Destroy ing what little faith anyone had left of them producing a quality product.

Save in docx, a de facto standard in all corporate document communication?

>when only thing I do is browsing
that's exactly what he says : people who aren't unemployed neckbeards

If these products define you as a computer enthusiast, I suggest suicide. Gamers have a more valid excuse to use Windows ffs.

Office is a bloated, unintuitive piece of shit. It's amazing that nobody managed to come up with anything better.

Development tools and office software.

I trink you mean pdf, you fucking retard. No sane company use docx as a standard format, only the old and outdated ones.

I take it you never actually worked at a company?

Yeah i guess it's great to use PDF. It make the modification of documents easier...

>anyone using Windows is a shill
Lord, this board is almost as bad as Trump General

Compatibility

That does it I'm #withHer now

>I have no idea what I'm talking about

Because appearances don't make up for functionality. Lots of Linux-exclusive and open source development/productivity suites are on par with Office, they just aren't as pretty.

>Pre-installed on machines without your consent
The fuck does this mean? Did you take home a laptop expecting Slackware on it but it powered up to a surprise Windows logo?

t. NEET retard

every non-tech company is 99% composed of normies who have no idea what the hell is a pdf. and that is in the developed world.

lol nope

What are some Office-exclusive features beyond user-submitted layout hubs (90% of which are garbage), and some printer extras? I'd love to know what it can do that nothing else can (and that is worth the insane price tag).

Microsoft Office has been and will continue to be the only reasons businesses stick to windows. They betrayed business since Windows Vista, and the corporate world has hated them ever since, but nobody can find any kind of alternative to it. Libre/Open Office can't even open up the majority of a companies files. Plus free software is a major turn off for businesses that want round the clock support at their disposal for pure redundancy.

Cloud integration, online autosave, which is pretty fucking important
Work with multiple people at the same time on one document
Macros, and ones that actually works
Compatibility with literally everything
And that also means compatibility with everyone since all knows where are the buttons settings etc
Which also means even more support since those who google stuff can fix almost any problem immediately from loads of support websites
And yes, the printer settings are real important too.

run gta v without a vm/gpu passthrough

Botnet.

ARK survival evolved, max specs (no DFAO) on Vulkan, 32 FPS on Linux, 118 FPS on Windows.

Nothing. What you saw happening in the OS market is basically a good example of spontaneously broken symmetry. Just looking at what the OS does and doesn't do, there's no real reason that it's so much more popular than any UNIX. The attraction of a platform is basically proportional to how many people use it. That causes a dynamic that tends to create monopolies. Another example are messengers, no real reason why WhatsApp is so hugely popular, the developers are actually retards. A more academic example is the Ising model, look it up.

Made a pretty good ide for a lot of C derivatives.

>it's another teenage NEET outs himself as never having an industry job episode
Fucking lol. True top kek.

>Microsoft Office has been and will continue to be the only reasons businesses stick to windows

You misspelled Active Directory.

Mac OS is better

>compatibility with literally everything
Actualy, Microsoft office has worse compatibility than libre office because MS spent a lot of time creating a .doc(x) standard and then not following it to break compatibility with everyone else

maintain a monopoly position with zero integration
ah no - am wrong
nobody else does that

microsoft adopted open standards, then marginally extended them, making them unreadable by anything other than their software.

Well have you installed anything since 2011?

I don't think there is a linux distro that caters to normalfags exclusively, ubuntu? I don't know, guys.
You have to make it baby-teir for them to even understand. Hide everything important so it doesn't look soo scary and show them that facebook works. Install proprietary shit by default (flash for faggot facbook flash games).
There, you stand a chance, linux.

>this captcha sure looks like 'nigger' to me

>confirmed for never using a Windows OS after XP

Crash

If it's an internal draft or resource intended for modification, it's likely to be in .docx, but only by default because the business is likely to use Microsoft Office. There's no feature of docx or of Microsoft Office that drive their ubiquity. Nobody will care if you use OpenOffice or whatever the fuck else if you're working as an outside consultant.
If it's being sent outside the company, it's going to be in .pdf if anyone who knows the first thing about computers is involved.

Have a userbase.
Literally every advantage Windows has stems from the number of users.

out of curiosity, how big is your %windir%\winsxs folder?

>Cloud integration, online autosave, which is pretty fucking important
>Work with multiple people at the same time on one document
You can do this with google docs or office 365.

>Macros, and ones that actually works
Care to explain what is the problem exactly?

>Compatibility with literally everything
The odf support is not very good and their own format is a lock-in mechanism. One thing is needing to use their format to work because you don't have any other option and a different one is actively and willingly supporting microsoft's anticompetitive measures.

>And that also means compatibility with everyone since all knows where are the buttons settings etc
So, baby duck syndrome?. Seriously, i get that people doesn't want to invest time into learning a different piece of software but neither LO or GD are so different UI-wise. Yes, people is indoctrinated into using MS software from a young age as if it were the way a computer should work but that doesn't mean other products are automatically bad just for being different.

>Which also means even more support since those who google stuff can fix almost any problem immediately from loads of support websites
This is true for LO and google docs at least.

>And yes, the printer settings are real important too.
What is the problem with printer settings in competing products? it has worked fine for me on LO for example.

>if anyone who knows the first thing about computers is involved.

i dont know what world you live in, but i have worked in several industrial companies (from plastics to metal works) and i have never met a CEO that can open and read his e-mail.
i had to contain my laughter when i saw a CEO with stickers all over his monitor that were left there by his secretary. those notes point to the icons on the desktop and describe what each icon opens.
THAT tech-savvy secretary, which is also a slag, doesnt use ctrl+c,ctrl+v. she writes down on a note what she needs to copy and then writes it again. all of this happens in Israel, the "start up nation" with """""smart"""""" jews everywhere.

good luck explaining what the fuck is a PDF to those guys, and even more luck explaining to them why OpenOffice always messes up shitty charts that were made in Word, and not to mention all the problems with hebrew characters

Having a sizeable software base, hardware support, being conveniently pre-loaded on new OEM systems and behaving to users' expectations.

why would you even?

Why shouldn't I?

>You can do this with google docs or office 365.
Except google docs is shit, has shit features, and a shit interface, oh and it's dog slow when you're doing something more complex than your book report for high school. Doesn't matter what computer you use.

Also, comparing LO to an actual office suite used for people who have actual jobs lolololololololol

Stay basement, autist.

Active directory, this would've been dead a long time ago without it.

It's only for the businessworld, and managing your businesscomputers is better with Windows.

/Thread

because apple releases one thing, and next year it is obsolete.

NO, YOU'RE AN IDIOT

Grow up™

hot opinions and name calling dude, good to see you was just bluffing with empty claims.

Everything Just Works Sort Of (TM).

Every few years I try out Linux as my primary OS. Stuff is just shitty. Weird behavior, poor support for video acceleration, all kinds of audio issues, poor support for anything that's not suuuuper common among Linux devs, etc.

For example, I couldn't get my Bluetooth keyboard to work under Linux. So no Kodi from bed. And one day I booted up to find that the OS decided to make my on-board audio the primary, rather than the USB audio that I use. And then there's the whole wonky-fonts issue, exacerbated when you try to run 3rd party programs. Steam's start-up dialog, for example, looks like utter shit. No idea what subsystem it's using to render.

That said, I miss the Bad Old Days of straight Win32 programming. You could extend software if you were so inclined. Everything worked according to the well-written Microsoft UI Guidelines. Now we have .NET stuff, old-school Win32 stuff, and now the universal/Metro/shitshow stuff. And all of it seems less extensible to me than earlier stuff.

I'd like to go back to 2001, write Win32 programs, and provide COM servers to allow easy automation of software. We never really achieved the platform's potential. Alternatively, I want real Longhorn, as promised around the same era.

Legacy support and compatibility. As shit as Windows is, it's something no one else does better.

Their sheer confidence.

They fuck up a lot, but they're not afraid to fuck up. All their UI designs tend to get copied by Linux.

Create spyware

but I'm employed in a nontech related profession and use Linux regularly, in fact all our computers run Red Hat.

>>popular OS
>Pre-installed on machines without your consent

One day I'm 'puter shopping. I see a nice laptop with Windows 10, and ask the sales 'associate,' "Can I get this without an OS?" She says, "No. We have to bundle the OS." I ask, "Can you wipe it and give me a gift card?" She says, "No. We're not allowed to do that." I thank her for her time and walk out the store. I'm still using one of the old computers that were given to me by my employer.

>>Pre-installed on machines without your consent
There's technically nothing to "consent" to since the machines aren't yours to begin with.

They're really good a sending shills to Sup Forums it would seem. Countless posts about how the Windows 10 free update is almost up. Then, that ended and it was about "u no guise win 10 aint dat bad"... Then "it dnt even spy dat much."

Now... "Windows just the best guys, duh."

So tired of these spineless shills. Imagine making your living selling yourself out like a whore. No self respect. Shame.

To answer your question, you fucking shills, the only thing it does objectively better is video games. For now.

Anything else is debatable and doesn't matter because it's personal preference.

people dont give windows enough credit, its actually the best operating systems to start arguments on Sup Forums. Probably has to do with people running linux are kind of like vegans, they will tell you they are running linux and how inferior windows is.

so yea its good at getting the basement trolls all worked up.

I can't tell if this pic is ironic or not.