If you didn't

If you didn't
>write an OS kernel
>write a compiler
>write some machine learning application (e.g. handwriting recognition) from scratch (i.e. without using anything like tensorflow)
>implement a distributed database system or equivalent
>write parallel software for a supercomputer
>learn functional and logic programming
then your CS degree was probably a meme

This is what I wish my CS degree was: practical shit like creating websites and working with databases and understanding your tools like the compiler and git. Instead I learned useless things like calculus and algorithms.

I'll be doing OS design, processor design, and compilers this year.
Not looking forward to it desu.

>practical shit like creating websites and working with databases and understanding your tools like the compiler and git.
>He didn't do those while still in highschool
Sup Forums will never be good again

You use the word meme in this fashion probably because your vocabulary isn't robust enough to offer anything else.

Therefore, I will not be listening to any advice you have to give regarding post-secondary education.

>>learn functional and logic programming
Everyone learns at least that.

>high school
>teaching about databases, compilers, and version control
dude wot

>inb4 le self taught guy

Fuck off retard. Anyone who isn't a dumbfuck is going to be bored to death through high school. Better figure out something to do that is at least moderately interesting.

>> if you didn't learn memes, your degree is a meme

How's your mom's basement? Writing an OS is useless, it was good for learning g syntax to write a compiler, but it hasn't helped me at my job yet. Functional programming is the biggest meme on this board because the job market only wants OOP.

Your opinion is worthless, because you are living the meme and trying to figure out why you know more advanced topics but can't get a job.

>>inb4 le self taught guy
>being unable to read a book without a teacher to guide you
You sure told him.

>writing CRUD enterprise software in Java
you're really living your life my man

>> Tfw have job
>> Tfw I make 100k writing fun to code Web and mobile apps.
>> Tfw I'm indispensable to my company

How's your cool functional programming job? I've been on Sup Forums long enough to know I'm the minority to have a job.

>indispensable
>doing something any 3-month bootcamper could do

>write a compiler

seriously, how difficult is this (guided)? my CS department offers a 400 level Compilers course. they use that book with the dragon I think. I'm a SE major, so I don't need to take it, but am seriously considering it as an elective for the potential challenge and learning.

>practical shit like creating websites and working with databases and understanding your tools

yeah, that's what most universities are calling "software engineering" nowadays. CS is more math, advanced algorithms, machine learning, AI, etc...

Sorry if this is news to you, but literally nobody gets a degree to "learn", everyone just gets one because it's better to say "I spent four years at this-and-that college and have a piece of paper to prove I kinda know my shit" than to know shit but not be able to prove it in a job interview.
No company cares about the shit compiler you wrote, no company cares about the IRC bot that's used to send anime via dcc, no company cares about the shit Sup Forums clone you wrote.

sucks man. if you have a person that is just OK and has barely anything to show projects wise, but has amazing social skills up against an autist that is an amazing programmer and wrote his own compiler and shit, the OK extrovert is going to get the job 9 times out of 10.

It's about as simple as interpreting strings and converting them to their equivalent assembly. With someone guiding your hand you'd probably have an easier time of it as well, with some known good practices being drilled into you to prevent some more egregious spaghetti code from appearing.

If you didn't
>get really good at something
>build a decent portfolio
>find some business connections
by the time you turned 20 then your life is probably a meme

I was busy having sex with my girlfriend. I didn't find out that any of that shit existed until halfway through my physics degree.

You probably didn't have sex like ten hours every day

>> thinks my employer knows this
>> thinks my employer doesn't think I'm indespensible.

I wow them with magic, I'm indispensable to them

I pretty much did.

You're balls would have dropped off if you did

>CS is math
they fucking struggle with basic shit like calculus

I thought this would be the same process as multi threading software that is run on regular hardware?

>write some machine learning application (e.g. handwriting recognition) from scratch (i.e. without using anything like tensorflow)

This I am actually interested in, just trying to find an application relevant to me.

Sounds fun, will have to look into this.

Talking about memes...

it's a good thing UCSB is teaching me all those things

Nice OP, you learned all that shit, congratulations!
HOWEVER
You forgot to learn one basic principle:
>Do not reinvent the wheel

I did that in 7th grade. Literally 7th grade. 11-12 years old.

>I thought this would be the same process as multi threading software that is run on regular hardware?

Supercomputers consist of thousands of machines with maybe a few dozen cores on each, connected by very low-latency, high-throughput links.

You can't just write a bunch of threads like you could on a single machine, and while mapreduce easily scales to thousands of machines, it's intended for high-granularity computations and is not suitable for supercomputing.

>Do not reinvent the wheel
Computer Science is knowing how to reinvent the wheel.
Software Engineering is knowing when to reinvent the wheel.

who is this jizzered wizard?

>write an OS kernel
I did
>write a compiler
I did
Didn't, because machine learning is a meme
Only did theoretical DB theory like relation theory and normalization theory, I never cared for DBs
I did
I didn't, but I wish I did (the functional programming course was an electable I didn't take, I did compiler theory instead).

I would like to add to your list
>implemented a routing protocol on a real-life MANET router and ran around in the halls routing IP packets

That's pretty much the difference between a masters in comp sci and a doctorate in comp sci.
>inb4 code monkey 'comp sci' bachelors pour out of the woodworks

companies want people who work together well and are marketable to current and future employees. Collaboration will probably be more valuable than one autist who can't even talk to his co-workers.

>practical shit like creating websites and working with databases and understanding your tools like the compiler and git
So a code monkey?

>do not reinvent the wheel
you should probably understand how the wheel works though