/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

new /sqt/, put all your stupid questions in here. Old one hit bump limit.

Other urls found in this thread:

elementary.io/
pcpartpicker.com/list/39kLPs
pcpartpicker.com/list/6NJRkT
portforward.com/
kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23020/~/opening-ports-for-internet-games-and-applications-on-netgear-routers
kansas.gov/bess/flow/main?execution=e1s5
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI&
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

should I use microsoft security essentials or avast antivirus?
I'm aware the real answer is "neither just dont be retarded" but it is too late for that

what would cause my keyboard to lag?
It happened while typing this post even, I hit all the keys and can watch as they slowly appear one by one on the screen 5-20 seconds later

If you know you've got something, then you'll need something to remove it. I normally just do a Malwarebytes scan and then run from there. Is it something benign like a browser jacker or is it more serious?

Am on Linux.

Is it safe to use the same browser for all purposes if I have different profiles?
My main profile has noscript, no requests, https, ublock, caches set to 0kb, no cookies, and other similar measures.
The secondary one just has ublock, and I use it for bank, ebay, school, email.

Is that safe - would my being a Sup Forums lurker be linked to any of my legitimate activities? I know in the end everything is watched by the ISP and 3 letters, but that doesn't mean I need to have advertisers and trackers watching me.

is there a way to browse pixiv properly? finding by highest rated etc without having a premium account?

When you make a new thread don't forget to redirect people from the old one.

Where to download a legit OS X iso for a virtual machine

ESET online scanner and malwarebytes

MSE has awful detection rates so avast by default. But if you're infected you're gonna wanna scan with everything you've got.

where would someone with zero computer experience even begin with learning to linux and such

don't exist only way to get mac os x legally is to buy a apple computer

elementary.io/

:^)

installing it and messing around and fixing problems as you run into them.

Forums and guides. Ubuntu welcomes all.

Download one that strikes your fancy and begin using it. Also go to and download some how-to videos on it.

Do you think upgrading from a non-k 6500 to a 6700 is worth it for light transcoding and video editing?

What about for video games?

I have a folder of html files, i cat'd them to one file.I am using grep to find a certain keyword, then pipe it in to a file.
When i go to grep it, it just copies the file over verbaitem without taking any keywords out
What am i missing?

Does having a non stock heatsink lessen the dissipated heat in my room? I live in texas and my CPU is going 48C at slight use at stock heatsink

as long as your browser isn't saving cookies per session, that's about as far as you can go with being 'fingerprint clean' short of using a VPN.

don't know what would cause this other than general slowness, but if it seems like it's /just/ your keyboard, try reinstalling its drivers.

There was a thread on here about a day ago about some guy being paranoid about people who use the same laptop as him looking through his hard drive.
How is this possible? Does it have to be the same laptop? Not saying I'm going to do it, but how do you do it?

Just have multiple browsers. One for shittin up Sup Forums and a second for your email/banking

Anyone know a way to reset a windows 10 admin password?

You can move a hard drive to any computer you want, id imagine in this case its linux. With windows it is more likely to throw a shit fit due to different hardware

Well, there's that thing Sup Forumss been on about lately where google is getting really good at fingerprinting your browser. Not a lot you can do about that besides maybe trying a fingerprint spoofer, and I'm not sure how effective those are. Most of your precautions are sound and will help a lot, although a certain amount of information will be pinned to your ip

Unless you use an encrypted drive, someone can just pop in a linux cd and see all of your files

What is a good no-bullshit empty folder remover tool?

I just want something like

>please enter folder directory
>scanning folder for empty sub folders
>delete empty folders? y/n

I'm backing up all my shit from my phone and there are so many stupid leftover folders

If they haven't got an encrypted home folder the files are visible to everyone.
The OS might prevent opening the files without permission but there are ways to get around it.

+ checked

Your meme stupid, there is a differance between cyborg and robot

How do I disable CTRL+V in the bash/zsh/whatever terminal?

It just sits there waiting for me to type a character, then types that character, or inserts junk if I hit a non-alphanumeric key like escape or return. I hate it.

find . -type d -empty -delete

Nah. Skylake is pretty damn powerful in general. If you're doing "light" things (Read: not making big $$$) just stick with what you've got.

I'm afraid to say I dont understand

I know this is command prompt stuff, but many games on my PC require empty folders to run properly and I am unsure of how to safely utilize this

>many games on my PC require empty folders to run properly
double check that
double check they wont just create the folder if its missing and they need it

They will create the folder if it is missing, until it is some really shity retarded indie game that has no reason to be public

how compromised is piratebay?
i've been hearing "piratebay honeypot piratebay honeypot" for years now, but I kept using it regardless with hardly a warning
that being said i did use kat majority of the time until recently, so now that im more heavily using tpb im wondering what's going on here again
is it really honeypot?
is it just certain types of files?
is it certain types of timeframes?
and if tpb no good where go?

What browser should I be using? firefox? Or a fork? Should I use the same one on mobile?

What is "NAT type" and how come a lot of people recommend changing it to not be "strict" in online games?

Whats the fastest SATA SSD on the market currently?

find your_directory_here -type d -empty -ok rmdir \;

Prompts before each directory

I use palemoon on my laptop and naked browser on my phone.

What is better? Quad core processor or Dual Core Processor and why?

Why palemoon over firefox?

>why palemoon
It's like a debloated firefox with several essential addons forked to work with it, plus linux support.

If you mean what a PS3/4 says about your network, open = your router's letting every incoming connection through, not good for security, strict = it's only letting connections out, not in, good for security, can break some games that use peer to peer multiplayer. Moderate = your router us letting in only what is being asked to, which is good.

Just got a Redmi Note 3 and having a shitty time flashing an official ROM

Is it possible that I don't have a vendor ROM at all? I managed to update to MIUI 6.8.4 from the phone itself
Also, how do I upgrade to Android 6.0? On 5.1.1 now

Quad core.

4 > 2

If I´m going to do some light video editing (1080p/60hz) gonna record some gameplay (Titanfall, Halo and BF1)
This build is my first option
pcpartpicker.com/list/39kLPs

If I save money for another 2 months, this would be the build
pcpartpicker.com/list/6NJRkT

Is really worth the increment in price tag? I will be using Blender and Premiere for video editing
For recording gameplay gonna use OBS and for the console a El gato capture card

I need a quiet, reliable, 4pin, 120mm fan.
Any suggestions?

I have 140mm corsair fans and I'm pretty happy with them, but their product pages don't really say if they're 3 or 4 pins

It stands for network address translation, and it's basically the thing responsible for taking the information on your home network and making it reach the outside world. Like if your home network was an island country NAT would be the guy scheduling international flights.

When they say nat type is closed/screwed up, what they usually mean is that your ports aren't lined up correctly or maybe you have an overprotective firewall. Sometimes it means that you have 2 routers or your ISP gave you a modem/router combo and you didn't disable the router part before connecting your own router. Try some port forwarding guides and see if they help.

portforward.com/

kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23020/~/opening-ports-for-internet-games-and-applications-on-netgear-routers

Thingken of placing chrome OS on my mother's t520.

Never had any experience with Linux or whatever and neither did the mother of course but she just needs the browser really so this should be a good performance boost over the windows 7 currently installed.

Any objections?

That 4ghz base clock sure is tempting. You could get away with a lot of things with that I5 but you might find yourself appreciating all that extra power down the road. I think the raid HDDs is overkill. Any system with an SSD just isn't going to see much improvement. Might as well save money on that and maybe put off buying the custom fan and go for the good processor now.

I doubt it would work.

Just no.
You should have upgraded to 10 while it was free.

Any Linux distros work OK on 2014 HP Omen besides Puppy and Arch? Need battery life for working on the go, but Puppy has shitty touch drivers and Arch is... Well, Arch.

>palemoon
It is 20+ milestone versions behind stock firefox
99% of standard relevent addons dont work.
>plus linux support
Nigga what? mozilla offers support..

Most touch on linux just mimics mouse inputs.
>I want a firefox replacement, it has to have all their updates and support all their extensions
Just use normal firefox

I need a utility to monitor which processes are doing the most I/O on my disk, running Debian stable at the moment.

iotop

Then why do people use it

So why does Sup Forums keep recommending VPS as an alternative to VPN for basic privacy/torrenting? I get that you have a little more control if you're running a box at the other end, but really they can observe your traffic just as readily regardless. I mean aren't they watching the internet leaving their servers either way?

Because it is a meme browser, and people like user above, hype it, when its utter shit

I've tried it at a few milestones, my addons dont work, and if they have an alterantive it is dog shit and lacks comparative functionality.
There is no reason to use it

>kansas.gov/bess/flow/main?execution=e1s5

So you can change the css of the firefox browser itself with plugins like Stylish

Could you write a greasemonkey script to change the firefox css?

I want to change the colour of the text of a tab if the contents of that tab contains (#) for Sup Forums.

Who the fuck

So Firefox is best?

firefox-aurora or nightly is better

>it is a meme browser
Opinion discarded
>and if they have an alterantive it is dog shit
They're all forks designed to support palemoon
>There is no reason to use it
This is why it is fairly popular in the off-shoot firefox market and available in the openSUSE repo

Is there something wrong with how ffmpeg burns subtitles in? Using Aegisub here, the subtitles look really bright yellow in the program and when watching the video with a media player and the .ass file.

When I hardsub with ffmpeg the subs look really dim, as if the brightness was turned down big time, and it doesn't look good.

Ok this is something that's been a mild nuisance ever since I received it, but when I connect to my Xonar STX soundcard I get an electric "buzz" or static that gets higher in pitch the higher my framerate goes. I've tried different power supplies and shit, as well as different GPU's but no difference. Sent it back for an RMA and they couldn't find any issue with it.
What the fuck am I missing?

Who cares? Get a dac and be done with it.

Its avalible in most distros, that does not mean it is good. Some devs hopped on the bandwagon
>support palemoon
Thats my point, the addons i use, dont fucking work in palemoon, and they are not some random jow blow special case addon. A dev is not going to keep a second version just to work on some meme browser
>fork
So they take it from how the dev wanted it, and force it to work with THEIR shit.
>version
I love how you zealots never acknowledge this gaping flaw.

did you try plugging your comp into a different wall socket?

There is nothing wrong with it, most likely it is how your video player is rendering it
I dont use that program but this will hardsub
ffmpeg -i "$file" -c:a copy -vf "subtitles=$file" "done/$file"

If people say that it's possible to get a Windows VM to perform at 95% fidelity to if you were just running Windows natively on your computer. This should technically mean that lower end machines should see a lower impact on performance than higher end machines, since the lower the number to begin with, the smaller a percentage would be.

Is this truth in real life? Because a lower end machine should have more issues running a VM than a high end machine.

>>fork
>So they take it from how the dev wanted it, and force it to work with THEIR shit.
Yeah basically. Like a fork in the road.
>>version
>I love how you zealots never acknowledge this gaping flaw.
It's not a flaw to everyone. What addon do you use? If it's so important you're probably better off sticking with up-to-date firefox anyways.

It depends on the CPU, and their visualization front like vt-d in intel.

I use that command, but I got shit wrong, using Media player Classic to play the hardsubbed video looks good, but it's on youtube that it looks quite fucking bad, I guess it has something to do with the resolution.

By the way, is there a limit youtube puts on the video size and quality you can upload? Tried to upload a 480p 26mins video, but I only got a 360p result.

Gotta imagine that all the CPU power allocated to just running the VM is not gonna be usable for anything else other than that.

So they take it from how the dev wanted it, and they are not some random jow blow special case addon. A dev is not going to keep a second version just to work on some meme browser
>support palemoon
What addon do you use? this is something that's been a mild nuisance ever since I received it
>fork
they are not some random jow blow special case addon

ok heres a dumb question

why hasnt foobar been ported to linux

Closed source application by a hobbyist.

144Hz or 1440p on a GTX 970? mostly for videogames (lots of overwatch)

So if I understand you, you're saying that a crappier machine would have less total resourses to waste, so wasting 95% of a pentium 4 wouldn't be as bad as wasting 95% of an i7?

And nothing of value was lost

that's mean user

1440p

>A dev is not going to keep a second version just to work on some meme browser
Which is why they forked it. Otherwise if the plugin was old enough Mozilla would have a variant for older firefox models in their repo still.
>What addon do you use?
I'd need https and an ad blocker for day to day use.
>>fork
>they are not some random jow blow special case addon
?

I have, but only from the same area of the house. I'll check others.

Since many applications are Windows exclusive, does that constitute Windows products as a monopoly?

Exactly, which in turn should also technically mean that the performance impact is not as bad. I'm not sure how the math would quite work out because 2 cores at 2GHz are not a single number that you can divide into a percentage. But saying it like that, that's what it should mean.

But I don't really understeand what the method that those people mention is like, I imagine that it's sorta like an emulator and I can't imagine how any VM could replicate the performance of it's host machine with only a 5% lost of performance. Unless we are exclusively talking about GPU power fo games.

Video related, is what made me wonder this:
youtube.com/watch?v=37D2bRsthfI&

>Windows
>monopoly
Every laptop I've bought, even used, had Windows on it.

Real stupid question...

Got a new notebook and like everything about it except the trackpad has a weird texture that I am just not getting used to.

What if I got a phone screen protector and cut it to size and placed it over the trackpad, solely for the purpose of making the surface smoother. Is this feasible??

I disagree wholeheartedly

It would be a monopoly if they were forcing software manufacturers to make their applications exclusive in some way. Or if they were porpusely hindering other OSs.

I don't believe they are legally qualified as a monopoly otherwise, especially because other OSs have a relatively big marketshare.

If it is a texture sticker you could just take it off.

update, this is for 24 inch monitors

No its the actual touchpad. My old one had a smooth, plastic feel and just felt better, this new one is a more metal, rough feel and its hard to be precise because my finger doesn't slide is small increments as well

If there's any ausfags here: what's the best television you can get for under 2,000 kangaroos?