GAPPs are bad, install MicroG

Hourly reminder: Gapps are not only a botnet but also a MASSIVE drain on battery, don't be fooled by battery stats, my Oneplus two with gapps gets about 5-6 hours SOT. Without gapps I get around 8-9

BUT THERES MORE

You don't even have to give up google apps or the play store! MicroG is an open source project to reverse engineer google play services and it works today!

microg.org/

To install on cyanogemmod, you just need to install xposed, activate fakegapps module, install the 3 apks and its setup!

Other urls found in this thread:

apk4fun.com/
github.com/microg/android_packages_apps_GmsCore/wiki/Prerequisites
forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=42983611&postcount=306
twitter.com/CopperheadOS/status/753031814495830016
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Has this improved at all since it's alpha state a few months ago? I remember trying it on real hardware and in a Genymotion virtualbox and in both cases it couldn't do much more than send and recieve test push notifications. Anything newer than Hangouts kitkat crashed.

Very interesting. This should be useful for the x86 Android emulator where Gapps are often notoriously unstable.

How can I install Play Store apps using microG? Do I have to manually install APKs or is there a Play Store replacement?

Not OP but I assume you can install MicroG and then the APK manually from sites like apk4fun.com/

If I don't have root, then how do I use microg? How do I get rid of gapps completely?
Not rooting my phone until my warranty runs out or it gets fucked over by bootloop issues.
t. G4 owner

Don't think its possible unless you do root.

>github.com/microg/android_packages_apps_GmsCore/wiki/Prerequisites
>In case you had the Google Play Services previously installed, remove all updates and the packages in /system/priv-app of the Google Services GmsCore, GoogleBackupTransport, GoogleFeedback, GoogleLoginService, GoogleOneTimeInitializer, GooglePartnerSetup, GoogleServicesFramework, Phonesky, SetupWizard and Velvet. In case you forgot to remove the GmsCore updates, you can manually remove these using adb uninstall com.google.android.gms. After that, reboot your android device - all privileged GAPPS should be removed.

How about I just not use gapps at all? I do that right now and I've never been happier.

>install the 3 apks and its set-up!
Or you coult just get F-Droid, add the microG repo and install the apps through F-Droid, and activate F-Droid's root module so you'll be able to get seamless updates. Also, certain roms support signature spoofing, like Omni.

Not OP, but I used this for a while a month ago.

Hangouts still crashes; you can download a patched version on XDA (I don't trust them, though). Maps works and it can successfully locate me through the uNLP network location service - I use Mozilla's. Yes, it does nag you (as a notification) that you're running an old version of the Play Services, but it works. Youtube and most chat apps I've tried also work nicely, although some of the missing APIs may cause crashes when you want to do something that's not supported.
Thankfully that rarely happens.

You have two choices to get a working Play Store
>installing BlankStore, the open-source Play Store client
>moving the Play Store apk to /system/priv-app/Phonesky and renaming it to Phonesky.apk if it's not named like that already.

Reboot, and you're done.

Tip: If you decide to use BlankStore, using a different account is recommended. Also, you're gonna be asked for an Android ID, you can generate it with this.
>forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=42983611&postcount=306

Oh, and last thing..sorry for making it sound elaborate, but it actually isn't. If you do decide to make a new account and use it with BlankStore you have to log-in and visit the Play Store from your browser for some reason, otherwise it won't work.

Not possible. You need root to delete the Google Apps completely from your phone.

xposed also requires root.

Fuck, the signature spoofing thing ended up in the wrong place, but fuck it. You don't necessarily need to use that xposed module if your rom supports signature spoofing.

Sorry to sound stupid, but my Android keeps attempting to redownload Google Play Services. How do I stop it?

You really can't, unless you remove the gapps completely from your phone.

And I'm looking to do exactly that, to stop this Google shenanigans.

>implying

you can keep the stock version and prevent any updates by
>copying the file name of the updated Play Services apk in /data/app - including the .apk in the end
>uninstalling it from the settings
>creating a blank folder with the same name (WITH the .apk) and giving it EVERY permission.

it will get downloaded in the backgroud, but the installation will result in an error because there's already a file with that name in there

If you're rooted, get Amaze or other root-capable manager, and delete the packages listed in .

YOU DON'T NEED TO BE ROOTED YOU FUCKING DUMB FUCKS
IS YOUR IQ LOWER THAN 50 YOU PIECES OF CRAP?
All you need is TWRP which already has a file manager with root access. Xposed also does not require root u fucking dumb idiots. Go kill yourself, please.

Not the guy who said that, but do you have a nexus or something? I can't install TWRP without having root access - i have to push my recovery img to to /dev/ and that can't happen without root access.

I get much better battery life on stock.

since your warranty is gets void when you flash custom recovery, leaving android without root is meaningless, don't you think? And many xposed modules requires root

bunp

I have some apps which require GCM, gMaps and some of the Play services. how likely are they to work or will I have to ditch 'em ?

Been considering it, but until there is Android N CM I'm sticking to stock on my Nexus. They finally added mono audio support as a systemwide setting and being someone who is deaf in one ear, it kinda helps a lot.

Does microG have any equivalent of Google's smart lock stuff? I unlock my phone with an NFC implant I gave myself sometimes.

Regarding xposed, don't rely on xprivacy for security: twitter.com/CopperheadOS/status/753031814495830016

>They finally added mono audio support as a systemwide setting
What, that hasn't been possible before now?
Jesus, that's weak. iPhone has been doing it for as long as I remember.

does paid apps from play store work?
there are literally a few ones that i use on daily basis, if it weren't for them i wouldn't install gapps at all and just .apk everything

what should one use then? xprivacy is the only xposed i've seen that takes care of sending fake info and similar, if that doesn't work at all, what's the next best option?

Cool, I hadn't heard about this, thanks OP!

Does this allow Uber to work?