Windows 10 better?

Convince me that Windows 7 is better than 10.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cebFWOlx848?t=468
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You don't need DX12...

think for youself

> The w10 install is 25gb and is also bloated.
> DX12 is useless and unimpressive.
> Metro
> UWP
> less botnet
> w7 is faster and less demanding(when you updated to windows 10 it felt faster because that is how fresh installs feel)
> ads

/thread

uncucked start menu

I just uninstalled the massive anniversary update this morning for Windows 10.

As it was installing, I was reading reviews on my phone about how buggy it was, the security vulnerabilities, how people were reporting constant crashes, etc.

I couldn't cancel it so I freaked out a bit. When it was done installing, it's seriously like my computer got a massive speed boost.

Everything is running a lot quicker, apps are loading up faster, my boot up time is considerably faster now and even my games are running better.

Maybe some people had some issues but I'm loving this update.

>uninstalled
installed*

Windows 10 introduces a 4GB limit to DX9 applications, meaning if you have more than 4GB of VRAM and you mod any DX9 games to use more than 4GB of VRAM, it completely fucks you over. The Skyrim community was pretty mad about it; initially, everyone was blaming Nvidia until they pointed the finger at Microsoft.

Honestly there aren't many situations where a DX9 application would use more than 4GB but hey, it is what it is.

youtu.be/cebFWOlx848?t=468

lol this. windows runs as fine as ever. it also feels like my browsing speed has improved a lot.

the only bad thing about the anniversary update is that some mod i used for this old 2006 game isnt working anymore.

>Our mistake was thinking windows 10 "professional" actually is for professionals.
The dirty reddit artist hippies are right. This whole "your operating system is a service" meme needs to die.

I think the key question is what are you using your computer for? If you're running a bunch of old games/legacy software then 7 is more stable. But if you're keen to take advantage of the latest tech/software improvements then 10 is the way to go.

Or if you're like me and want the best of both worlds then use Windows 8.1.

If I was forced to move from Windows 7, I'd probably install Windows Server 2016 or something. I hear not even Windows 10 Enterprise is safe from their cancer. Luckily 7 works just fine for me still.

>Or if you're like me and want the best of neither world then use Windows 8.1.
FTFY.

well there was this one time when my computer got a mad trojen virus and after a week of doing random shit i got it issolated and removed administration access but with windows 10 the software was too new that they basically said ok virus you seen legit enough to remove administration access options so i had to restore my windows 10 software sad story to id recommend 7 cuz its more stable assuming you'd want to remove a virus one day

No full screen ads

I thought skyrim used dx11?

Nope, Skyrim is a DX9 game; they're actually releasing a DX11 version based on the Fallout 4 engine this fall and calling it "Skyrim HD Remaster"

Like DX11(Win7) or DX11.1/11.2(Win8+)?

fuck off retard

>> The w10 install is 25gb and is also bloated.
It's 12GB without any cleanup

All I know is they are basically porting Skyrim to a modified version of the Fallout 4 engine. So however Fallout 4 did it, is the way it will be. Mods most likely won't work at first, since they need to port the Skyrim Script Extender to the new engine and possibly convert shit with the new creation kit. Also it will be released on PS4 and Xbone, with console modding support (for mods under a certain size).

8.1 + ClassicShell is virtually indistinguishable from 7, but better.

Indistinguishable, but better. Whoa...

It has pretty much all the functionality of 7 (the ones I use anyway), so yeah. Did I miss something?

Does anyone know if its possible to install 7 over 10, and keep personal files? Or does it do a complete wipe and remove everything

Like, does it move everything into Windows.old?

>Does anyone know if its possible to install 7 over 10, and keep personal files?
No

Well then, it's going to be a long fucking day

>8.1
>still haven't fixed the thumbnails being deleted all the time

I'm not sure I've ever encountered this issue. Elaborate?

7 lets you disable DWM.

If you don't care about that, use 8.1.

Why would you ever disable DWM? Doesn't that completely fuck up v-sync on the desktop and windowed mode shit?

Better performance in some cases.
And sometimes you don't want vsync if you play games windowed.

Personally, I couldn't live without it, screen tearing in windowed applications is even more obnoxious than in fullscreen ones. Think of how horrible scrolling in a browser would look with DWM disabled. I shudder at the thought.

>Install 10
>Uninstall every piece of bloatware
>Use regedit to disable more telemetry shit
>Disable Cortana
>Can't use the taskbar search anymore, because for some reason it's tied to the Cortana process
>Get new hardware, decide to "reset" the computer
>Cool, everything got put into "Windows.old"
>Reboot
>Windows.old gets completely deleted
>Lose 600GB worth of installed software
>Wake up this morning
>NTFS error on boot, run some fix, another critical error
>Decide to reset again
>The one time I actually need to reset, it gets to 1% and crashes
And I'm done with 10.

Win 7 is not faster.

>Can't use the taskbar search anymore, because for some reason it's tied to the Cortana process
That's like, 33% of what Cortana does senpai. It's called "The Cortana search box" in official documentation.

i have the anniversary edition installed, and i'm downloading another small update right now

what is it?

pls tell me they're fixing exclusive mode for gamepads

I meant this search box, unless that's what you meant as well.

Microsoft really wants those searchwords

You Windows 10 guys can't even use gamepads in exclusive mode? What the fuck is the point of installing it for DX12 if you can't even get your game on properly?! Come back into the light user. Windows 7 is waiting for you with her legs spread wide.

Convince me that shit is better than piss.

>Windows 7 is waiting for you with her legs spread wide.
SHE'S NOT A SLUT

>>Disable Cortana
>>Can't use the taskbar search anymore, because for some reason it's tied to the Cortana process
That's not true

Make sure the Cortana process is actually not running, not just """"""""""disabled"""""""""" in the windows settings.
You can't search.

Yes, it is completely disabled and search works fine.

That's impossible because cortana literally replaced search completely in AU.

Are we talking about the same search?
I'm talking about this search

Windows 7 is better than 10. No arguing about it really, 10 seems unfinished. I'm using it right now.

Eat shit and die.

You need to exclude pagefile and hiberfile for a proper comparison.
But anyway, 7 uses less space.

That's just the Windows folder. Pagefile and hiberfile are in root of C:/

Oh. Well, here's my pretty much clean install from a VM, although it's pre-Anniversary.

Will all mods be supported?

Fuck no, are you kidding? They need to port SKSE to the new engine, Boris needs to make a new ENB for it (Fallout 4's ENB is probably compatibe, so easy job probably), and we have no idea whether existing mods will still work or whether they'll need to be ported to the new creation kit or what. No one knows what shit they are actually changing in the game files until the game comes out, chances are, tons of mods will end up incompatible and need to get updated and no one knows if that will be easy or difficult until the game comes out. It's going to be a mess for a while until all the big modders get their shit working on it. Oh and since it's 64 bit executable now, probably all the papyrus scripts need to be recompiled as x64? Not positive on that, but I'd bet on it.

it worked before the anniversary update

How much you want to bet Microsoft comes out and says that exclusive mode gamepads are no longer supported and that you should just buy an Xbone controller?

This thread is a year late.

If we forget the spying windows10 seems like overall improvement over 7. >implying win7 doesnt spy on you

the UI is cleaner and more consistent, start menu is nice, somewhat faster maybe and especially boot time is ridiculously fast. win10 pro also takes much less space than win7 ultimate. as for tablets it's again major improvement over 8.1 though the animated start menu items and notifications, like outlook, don't work properly anymore. i can't for example see if i have mail in the lockscreen like i could in 8.1.

on my old Core2 laptop with 1400*900 screen it doesn't scale very well and i don't notice any performance difference.

Wow, well hopefully the mod devs don't neglect to update, which is what I would be worried about (since many mod devs won't update their mods for updated versions of the game and this is a while new can of worms)

I'm a neophyte to programming (other than panels and ladder logic etc) I'm an electromechanical engineer so the only programming I know is a little bit of c and python

>boot time is ridiculously fast.
same speed as on 7, if you mean actual boot and not something else.

>win10 pro also takes much less space than win7 ultimate.
it takes more space, actually.

The only shit I am really worried about is Mod Organizer, Tes5Edit, and SKSE, and they're all pretty much guaranteed to be be working almost immediately due to how important they are. Mod Organizer was updated for Fallout 4, so MO2 is already 64-bit, meaning it may work right out of the box on the new Skyrim, if not, simple update would do it. As long as I have those tools, I can probably get my load order working, whether the mods update or not.

Here's a few reasons

What Firefox theme is that?