Is moving to Linux permanently a wise choice?

Win 7 fag here, I installed Linux two weeks ago, and I like it a lot. I'm considering making it my main OS. But i'm really concerned about the fact that I can't play any games on it.
I'm not a gamer by any means, but occasionally there's a game or two I'd like to try and enjoy.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3DR9fAQuOK8
store.steampowered.com/app/370360/
store.steampowered.com/app/1510/
store.steampowered.com/app/365450/
telehack.com
skullcode.com
pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The craving for any addiction will go away with abstinence + time. Use your computer for work, your mind for thinking, your bed for sleeping, and don't play videogames. Every minute you spend playing games is wasted

Steam has a lot of games

don't play cowadoodles or grand theft dudebro: shark cards and you're fine

>Steam has a lot of games

B-but I like piracy user. A lot. I haven't bought a single game since 2005.

Then they should all work fine on wine

I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Works for me. I still occasionally play TF2 and 1.6 but I hardly have time for those, much less every new "AAA" shitty console port that comes out

just dual boot, and you will never have to worry about it

Ew, fence-sitter

How does that work though? Won't games run worse if you run it with that program? I assume it is some kind of emulator?

Wine stands for "Wine is not an emulator"
"Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop."

>I'm not a gamer by any means

yet you clearly are, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue for you. that isn't mean in a condescending manner by the way, just being honest.

you can survive it by playing games on retroarch and vba-m, you would be surprised to discover how many good games there are for the gameboy, n64, ps2, and other old consoles.
Also, as you get older this won't be a concern anymore, and you won't even have to deliberately focus on not trying to play games.
I don't even have wine installed on my machine as I realized I don't need it.

PS: carpal tunnel is a bitch, better not to end up like me.

How do people make these images????

>eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop
Then why does 80% of stuff still run like shit?

listen kid, just because you see these try hard niggers
praise this shit os doesn't mean its a better alternative to
Windows. Why would you want an OS that has horrible
support and compatibility. Literally one of the biggest memes around, yet faggots like you constantly fall for it.
Get an older version of windows or better yet get windows 10 and enjoy a superior os that you can actually use and not take an hour to look up help for
a simple fucking task.

>Inb4 hurr durr botnetzz

>yet you clearly are, otherwise it wouldn't be an issue for you.
You shame me with your wisdom user. It's true.

>you would be surprised to discover how many good games there are for the gameboy, n64, ps2, and other old consoles.
Oh I know, I was born in 1988, so I grew up playing Commodore 64 and NES games. And as I grew into my teens I started emulating other consoles, by far one of my favourite is the SEGA/Genesis btw.
But that's why I'm so concerned, I'm not sure if I can emulate windows to emulate other stuff I like. Or just plain try out an occasional promising game.

>carpal tunnel
Sorry to hear that user. How did that happen?

>Oh I know, I was born in 1988,

sorry pally, I'm 19 so I am prone to projecting when I browse this site

I have been a nerd since forever since I had a shit childhood, I retreated into video games and computers

years of button and key mashing later, I have pain in my right index finger and wrist, sometimes the forearm as well. I don't have trigger lock but it is truly getting in the way of my life, it is hard to play guitar now.
I am even giving up pursuing a career in IT now because of this, the only reason I have that book in front of me is because I only have 9 months left in my associate's program, after that I'll get my bachelors in something unrelated.

I type with the pen and pencil on my keyboard (it has a rubber cover on it), and I click using the pencil eraser on the trackpad buttons and just maneuver the mouse slowly without actually using its buttons.
I will admit I just stopped to type this out by hand though.

not true, you either didn't configure them properly or something to do with shaders/your GPU.

IT associates isn't really such a bad thing to have. Good supplement to any career really since who doesn't use computers in 2016?

From my ~15 years experience in software development and systems administration, If you want a job in software development, or basically anything to do with IT, understanding the Linux terminal is a bigger requirement than understanding a programming language or library, or even having a college degree.

I did not know excessive gaming could cause this. Jesus. Is it fixable somehow? I must admit I know little to nothing about this illness.

>Lenovo
>Windows 10
BOTNET OVERLOAD.

Maybe they destroy each other.

GNU/Linux has many great nativ console emulators.

thanks for the encouragement man, the problem is I've been doing it online and I've learned very little like this
I am going to transfer to my local uni after I'm done, I am a little nervous because social autism and that I haven't been in a real academic environment in a while. I've just been fucking around this past year and a half.

Yes and no, refraining from electronics for a few days makes me feel pretty good. This is something that can go away but I just don't have the time to sit still and do nothing.

I am following this video right now - youtube.com/watch?v=3DR9fAQuOK8

Also you need to know the context - I am a true no life. Been gaming virtually 24/7 up until I was 16 (when this started). FPS games, runescape, Jagged alliance 2 are all clicking left mousbe button x100000000 times, this is the end result.
Also I broke my fifth metacarpal (pinky knuckle) when I was 16, my family doc thinks this attributes to it too.

I am planning on asking for a cortisone injection at some point, there is also surgical correction but that is extreme and has more harm than good done. But I'm not veing typical "oh my life is more shit than yours" as people enjoy doing. I feel shots of pain and numbness as I type this out running from my finger through my hand then to the wrist

this is my schoolwork laptop, i should be doing my work right now but Sup Forums is too important

main machine is a t430 with lincucks.

Dude I can't wait until Linux 16.10
released

>Development for TempleOS began in 2003 after Davis suffered from a series of manic episodes that left him briefly hospitalized for mental health issues.
Huh

How is the vidya more of a waste of time then say reading or watching a movie?

>reading
depends on what you're reading

>movie
just as much of a waste

If I have to explain why reading a book is better for you than playing a video game and slurping down energy drinks you're already too far down the brain damage rabbit hole m8

Become a retro gamer, as emulators work everywhere.

I hope you'll get better user. Take care of yourself, that vid seems mighty useful. Is it too gay if I say I kinda wanna hug you? I kinda do though.

eh, here's a pic that always makes me laugh as a no homo.

Ok, allow me to get off the high horse everybody here is on and explain why.

Video games are not some horrendous hobby that rot your brain in themselves. I believe they are in a similar camp as binge watching movies or something. If you can't limit yourself to not play them all the time, you're going to waste all your time with it and feel like shit.

But a couple of hours a day aren't going to kill you provided you give your other hobbies equal time as well. You know what else isn't a good hobby? Being an edgy neckbeard freetard who is clearly just playing xD le mature card because they installed arch and are too stupid to play video games.

"A couple of hours per day aren't going to kill you"

This is what 'gamers' consider reasonable

Why don't you do a couple hours of exercise or self-improvement you piece of shit

You know that guy who played MMOs through all six years of his high school experience?
Yeah that.

Thats a stupid argument and you know it. In what universe does reading a book make you smarter? "I just read Harry Potter and that totally wasn't a waste of time. Those losers who watched the movies are neckbearded plebs."

Same goes for technical books. "Great. I read all those books and understand the ins and outs of computers. Won't do shit with that knowledge but I can be a pretentious asshole to all my family and friends!"

Yea. Hes got a bangin ass job and wife now.

MMO's are inherently evil and insidious though. It's in their nature.

Ordinary games aren't anything like that. Well, except MOBAS. MOBAS and MMO's should be banned by law.

Someone should redpill him on jews. This guy has potential to become more hardcore than Ben Garrison himself.

I waste a good amount of time playing games, watching shows and movies, and shitposting on Sup Forums; but I would hope somebody would kill me before I ever end up this delusional.

The
>games are for children and are a waste of time
posters are the best. The game they play is
>spend all day complaining about other people playing games

It only takes an hour of exercise a day. Self improvement is for low esteem fags that have mental disorders dictating they try to be better than everyone else rather than just be happy and content.

>you're mentally ill if you aren't happy and content with being a pathetic, subpar excuse for a human being

Truth hurts doesn't it bitch?

Pathetic and subpar by your autistic level of acceptance

Wait, I thought you were being ironic.

Are you fucking serious, man? You actually think that your sick trick shots in a shooting game or your mastery of a character in a fighting game is even remotely comparable to real world skills and knowledge?

>TIS-100
store.steampowered.com/app/370360/

>Uplink
store.steampowered.com/app/1510/

>Hacknet
store.steampowered.com/app/365450/

>Telehack
telehack.com

>SkullCode
skullcode.com

Have fun while learning shit.

im pretty sure terry is aware of all jewish traditions

>not running a pirated copy of windows botnet heavily sandboxed and firewalled in a vm with vga passthrough

You honestly believe that you are a superior human being by having skills that no one gives a shit about?

You have to brag that you can install an OS or replace a part on a car?

How fucked up are you to believe that makes you better than anyone who doesn't have said skill? It takes 5 minutes to look something up and learn.

You're not a special snowflake because you don't game. You're not a special snowflake because you can do some mundane task. Nobody gives a shit what you can do. They don't even give a shit about you in general.

Shitposting in Sup Forums is a real skill then?

How else do shills get paid?

>I waste a good amount of time playing games, watching shows and movies, and shitposting on Sup Forums
Retard. I'm not saying I'm a superior human being. I am better than you though, since I can read.

Again, I'm no paragon, but I'm just not deluded into thinking there are no better ways I could be spending my time.

Fucking bullshit. It's not ready yet. I bet you think it can run DX11 and all that stuff, too...

I can program a computer, run a marathon, hold a job, and fuck women.

It's not a superiority complex, I am objectively better than you. I started learning the Linux system at age 16, and now I can bench over 300 pounds, and I have a sweet DevOps job that provides me with lots of money, friends, and entertainment.

You really are inferior and absolutely retarded for thinking that 'playing video games all day is just as good as being successful and skilled in a field'

You're deluded in thinking that spending time on skills that you will never use is worthwhile. Admit you just do shit for bragging rights.

Nigga over here thinking hes some hotshot because he connected a lightbulb to a potato.

Successful people don't post on Sup Forums, this place is only for degenerates.

>validating yourself on Sup Forums

Get a $30 ssd.
Install windows on it.
Forget about until you wamt to use it.

By boasting about it, you just showed that you literally do none of those things. You're just another faggot posting on Sup Forums.

>skills that you will never use
You can learn anything. Literally anything. Pick any thing in this world and you can learn how it works and how to do it.
>Admit you just do shit for bragging rights.
I don't even know why I'm responding to you when it's clear you aren't even reading my posts. I'll say it again, I don't do that shit. How could I be doing it for bragging rights if I DON'T DO IT? Fuck.

I don't think all movies are a waste of time. If you're watching super hero or 3D movies, you're definitely wasting your time.

>I can program a computer, run a marathon, hold a job, and fuck women.
Yet you're shitposting on Sup Forums. Something just doesn't add up.

Nigga getting mad because his shits getting packed in.

Mad that nobody cares he mow a mean ass lawn.

I gradually switched and now I barely touch Windows. If I get a new machine I wipe windows and put something else on. I keep an offline Windows partition for the odd thing on one computer.

>S U M M E R T I M E
WHEN THE PASTA NEVER GETS COLD
>S U M M E R T I M E
YOU'RE ALL PROBABLY 12 YEARS OLD

In middle of a weekday too

running like shit and no support for a feature are different stuff you know. Yes wine doesn't support dx11 yet, but soon I believe, cuz some dx10 games already can be run (with glitches). And dx10 is a subset of dx11.

It still doesn't run fantastic because, like I said, it's not finished yet. Simple enough to understand? Just take a look at the amount of bugs there are still outstanding. Better luck next time.

>It doesn't run like shit, it's fine except for everything wrong with it.
Why not just dual boot? It's clearly fucked.

Honestly, games are fucking stupid. Even the ones with a supposed depth to it are fucking ridiculous. So intellectually, there is nothing to take away from games. Then, there's of course some kind of skill you are effectively training while playing video games, however those effects (like the often claimed better reaction times) are negligible and way more efficiently trained with pretty much everything else. Games seem to train basically only playing games, so it's a snake-eats-its-tail-kind of thing.

But then again, as with all things, its about measure. Playing a few games every now and then is not a bad thing and won't make you stupid. Everybody wastes time here and there, so it's not a huge deal. But you should be aware that you can take away so much more from other activities that has so much more relevance. If you really deluded yourself into thinking gaming can be some really meaningful thing to justify obviously spending way too much time with it, then you are full of shit.

Activities such as?

kk, mr. "I only play dx11 games"

>Just take a look at the amount of bugs there are still outstanding.
>183 bugs found
?

>snake-eats-its-tail-kind of thing
The word you seek is ouroboros. I find the concept best explained by how Windows is the most popular operating system because everyone develops for Windows because it is the most popular operating system.

Also there's some pretty damn good stories in geimus if you're willing to look for them. I won't say they're the most intellectually stimulating, Kafka's ghost isn't writing the scripts, but it's better than a lot of modern movies.

>can't play any games in it

Ported videogames (torrents)
plus pastebin.com/7Xzi8e2H

Amen

Also if you aren't a pirate, just want to support a developer, or want to show developers that there are Linux gamers the one place they actually care (their royalty checks) you can filter to Linux ported DRM free games on the Humble Bundle store. If you're fine with installing DRM clients then there's tons more on Steam, but less will go to the developer and more to the fat fuck.

>can't play any games in it

How is recreation a waste of time? Working is something you do for the purpose of sustenance to enable you to longer enjoy your leisure. Every minute you spend working is time wasted from living, so you should aim to do the bare minimum of work to accommodate the costs of the pleasures you want in life

Good point

Sports, reading, social activities, painting, drawing, playing an instrument, watching a movie or documentation, travel, going for a walk, building something, programming, watch a lecture on something that interests you, cooking something complicated, cleaning your room, calling your mom,...

Really, the point is: Gaming is not really an activity that you do because it's a great way to spend your time. It's something you do when other stuff that appeals to you is for whatever reason not available to you. Or when you just don't have things that appeal to you in which case you are fucked anyway. I just can't understand why people decide to game all day when there's so much shit to do that's so insanely interesting.

>tfw autistic enough to love my job as much as my leisure
I mean, 95% of the time anyways. Sometimes work really does just become work though. It's pretty comfy overall.

As someone who plays an instrument, let me tell you, it's just as useless as video games. I personally do it because I suck at drawing but wanted a creative outlet to express myself,
>inb4 faggot
but would not recommend it to most, especially those looking to "improve" or whatever.

This thread is why we need a Gaming on GNU/Linux.

We could all be convincing devs they have an opportunity on Linux and even making it a new platform to creates games for.

Just as states. All those things are really just leisure activities and 'time wasters'. You literally get nothing out of them just as with video games.

Get in here

You said it yourself. It's not so much about actively improving yourself, it's about activities with some meaning. I also play an instrument, draw and paint and write and I do these things because it just feels good to do them. It feels good to produce something. It just adds something to your soul, and I know how stupid that sounds, but that's just how it feels.

Also, gaming is publicly not really recognized as a worthwhile activity. It literally exists to waste time, that's its purpose. Talking about games among other people is basically like talking about jerking off last night. Or that super satisfying shit you took this morning. Nobody gives a fuck.

Highly useful, thank you user!

>game dev, devving game
>the elevator dings but I hardly notice
>I notice the stench
>a foul, pungent stench has permeated the entire floor
>I look around to see if anyone else notices but my eyes are watering
>a shape is approaching me
>the shape is round
>I manage to wipe my eyes and see this shape in its entirety
>a very fat man, approximately 300 pounds, wearing an Arch Linux t-shirt, cargo shorts, and socks with sandals is stretching out his arm
>my secretary is behind him, apologizing profusely for the intrusion while clearly holding back vomit
>I excuse her, she doesn't deserve to suffer like this, and shake the man's hand
>it would have been a quick shake if his hand hadn't stuck to mine due to what I can only assume is a mix of RC Cola and semen
>he opens his mouth to speak and I am assaulted by a whole new stench, much worse than before
>Hello, I'm user, here to talk to you about the opportunities for your game on GNU/Linux. Have you heard of GNU/Linux?
>I choke back a cough and answer
>Linux? I thought that was just for poor people, hipsters, and cyber criminals.
>the man begins to tremble, sweat dripping down his legs, arms spaghetti
>I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functio-
>the constant assault of his breath is unbearable, everything starts spinning
>I wake up in my chair, it's dark outside, everyone is gone
>there's a puddle on the floor where the man was standing, and in the center a flash drive
>I nervously pick it up and look at the writing on the side
>Install Gentoo
>Linux port never

5 rupees have been deposited in your account

same for me. you should check out vga-passthrough. if your CPU/mboard support it you're good. Also use nvidia not amd graphics.

I dont game much but i enjoy playing a game from time to time, and hearthstone and other blizzard games more regularly. Steam has many games native for linux, which helps a lot, but for Blizzard games you need wine. It... works, but you'll have to accept a performance hit: I'm forced to use low-medium settings with a gtx670.

it's fucking annoying, and I should just install W7 on a partition on my SSD but I cant be bothered.

tldr you can get by, but you need some wine knowledge/tweaking and you'll have to accept worse performanc on wine games. otherwise just dualboot occasionally.

Quality movies and literature can be deeply intellectually stimulating and an incredibly enriching experience. Games theoretically have similar potential but literally no one, including tryhard indie art developers, are coming close to making games on the same level.

xD

Ultimately it comes down to what people want to do with their lives. Want to do artsy shit? Fine. Play video games all the time? Go for it. But telling other people what to do with their selves is ignorant as all hell. I feel like those that do try to shove their beliefs down others' throats are simply trying to validate their own actions.

Or maybe they're just trying to help some poor sod not waste any more of what precious little of their youth remains.

>But i'm really concerned about the fact that I can't play any games on it.
Just install Steam. Chances are the game you want is on Linux.
That's a bit extreme, isn't it? Video games can be fun sometimes.
>Watching a movie
It isn't.
>Reading
Although he didn't claim that either of those were better alternatives, reading will teach you to better understand people's ideas and the way you and other people can portray their ideas through text. For someone as illiterate as you, this is very important. Go read 1984. You'll like it.