1997 laptop and Linux

So this is my Dell Latitude CPi. 366Mhz alongside 128MB of RAM.

Recently the HDD in my thing has gone bad and I've decided to replace it with a 10GB one. One of the things I'll do is installing a Linux distro alongside Windows 2000.

What would be your distro pick here, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

rbt.asia/g/thread/S55488184#p55502261
rbt.asia/g/thread/S55472222#p55477683
rbt.asia/g/thread/S55899614#p55899943
imgur.com/a/yfbG5
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/ubuntu
cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-cpi-13-3-pii-128-mb-ram-4-1-gb-hdd/specs/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

gentoo

Can we put the memes away though
Don't think Debian will run on this and I'm concerned about installation process of Arch

Buy new ram first 2gb at least

Sadly 128MB is the limit

>implying this thing would support 2gb
lubuntu or bodhi linux, maybe manjaro jwm, if you can just install arch with tinywm over it, it only takes 0.6 mb ram, and once you boot it never update anything

rbt.asia/g/thread/S55488184#p55502261
rbt.asia/g/thread/S55472222#p55477683
rbt.asia/g/thread/S55899614#p55899943

What's up with your pic OP

imgur.com/a/yfbG5

OC but the other laptop is irrevelant to the topic

any way to pull the mini.iso stuff WITHOUT internet connection?

i am using an USB 3G modem that may not work out of the box

Maybe something period-correct like Red Hat or Mandriva? I have disks of both that I could rip and upload to mega or something if you want.

*Mandrake woops.

idk user

better to ask here kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/ubuntu

They said the mini.iso is dependable on a wired connection, in which case I'm sorta screwed.

cnet.com/products/dell-latitude-cpi-13-3-pii-128-mb-ram-4-1-gb-hdd/specs/

Specs of the laptop in question.

i use an old copy of xandros on my old laptops, you can get the isos from winworldpc

Arch is actually pretty easy to install, especially on old hardware where you're not worrying about UEFI or dual-boot or some shit. Look it up on YouTube, Arch was actually the first Loonucks I ever installed and I did it first try just following instructions from some dude on YT.

Yeah but the problem is that Arch requires wired internet connection as well, and that's a roadblock for me

>my bodhi

Never thought Bodhi would ever be mentioned on Sup Forums, since it's full of underage Arch ricers. The only people I know that have heard of Bodhi are system/network administrators that use it on their own personal rigs.

Debian netinstall with icewm or openbox

netsurf-gtk as web browser

If you're not able to DL much, you might have to roll your own. I don't know of any distro that rolls the DEs you would need. linuxfromscratch.org

I've tried every lightweight Linux distro out there for my dell with a 466mhz celeron and 196mb ram, and honestly just went back to using windows xp on it.

Nothing could match that in performance.

Debian is tempting but the net install...

Just no, sorry

I know Windows fits the best here, but I want a Linux distro that I can have for emergency cases and/or compiling stuff. I DO have Cygwin on my main rig but what if it goes down too?

Tiny core Linux was the only one that was almost as smooth as xp.

Oh wait, wait. Slackware.

what's wrong with netinstall? don't you have any way of connecting the laptop to the internet, like a PCMCIA ethernet adapter or something?

If you have absolutely no way of connecting the laptop to the network/internet, then in that case I'd strongly urge you not to bother with linux at all because there's just no point

I've used archlinux on my old p2 ThinkPad . Mind you that was back in 2012 in 2013 they changed the install disk in a way that broke it for my p2 it just wouldn't write to the disk after that.

Don't do gentoo or LFS the compiling would be a nightmare. Find a distro that uses debian stable repositories and stick with that. I've used antix and it's decent, In that it works. Ugly but it's linux so you can set it up however you want.

Be careful about what distro you pick cuase I had a Dell 600d with a 486 in it and I had to find a distro that compiles the kernel to support a 486 cpu. Oddly though i never had an issue with the p2 using a 686 (arch) kernel though.

Good luck, asshat!!

I sorta feel uncomfortable with "teeny weeny" distros after the mixed adventure I had with Puppy Linux.

Isn't it a full-blown distro though?

I DO NOT HAVE CABLES. I'm using a 3G USB modem which to my knowledge cannot be fiddled around without some packages.

>Isn't it a full-blown distro though?
Bro, you're gonna deal with either a full distro or a net install if you don't want to roll your own.

I just want something that's not heavy on the hard drive or the system and yet can run some basic stuff. I ain't looking to rice that

Puppy or DSL.