Will arcades ever make a comeback?

Will arcades ever make a comeback?

only if generation Y ever gets financially established otherwise everything cool and fun will get steamrolled by designer skinnyjeans and 'apps for everything again!' in like 7 years

arcades are literally all over the place in asia

they have some fuckin sick games too

Here in the west they ported every arcade game to console, and arcade-only gimmick games like DDR didn't ever take off as much as in asia, so they are pretty much kill. Also they have game exclusives for the arcades and in japan I saw tv commercials for arcade games. They know how to keep them alive.

>DDR
There is cool stuff like SDVX now

arcade games have truly stepped up in asia

you got moar?

VR Halls will be Arcades 2.0

Arcades are making a comeback as barcades and are getting fairly common in the US. I live in a pretty small city and even we're getting one soon. An independently run one, not one of those shitty chains like dave and busters.

They tend to cater to the gen X and Y crowds that have nostalgia for the 1980s and are consuming new retro-style games and other 80s nostalgia media, like Stranger Things, so who knows if they're here to stay or if they will be relatively ephemeral.

We still have them in South Africa.

There are still arcade rooms in gaming conventions, but arcades as a business the level of convenience and low prices available on home consoles and pc.

If they find a way to gentrify them and make them "hip" and "cool" like all those fucking bubble tea places popping up, yes.

This, they're pretty fucking fun too. Getting drunk with your bros and playing halo or ssb is a great time. And ya you can do that at your house, but something about going out and doing it makes it a little more fun or gives it a certain je ne sais quois.

I dont think we'll ever have the same true-to-life arcade experience though. Modern consoles aren't robust enough to handle abuse like old arcade machines, and most modern games aren't really well suited to the pay-to-play arcade model. Its a shame today's kids won't know what it was like to go to the arcade and watch the older kids gambling on street fighter, or what its like to save up quarters all week long to have a few precious plays on donky kong or some shit on the weekend (after you've done your chores ofc, for a few more quarters).

2barbie4me

Well, you still have niggers in South Africa, so not exactly a good point of reference, is it?

Maybe with VR who knows.
Pretty sad that it pretty much died, I don't like playing fighting games online.

I came on the back of an arcade game once.

>Also they have game exclusives for the arcades and in japan I saw tv commercials for arcade games. They know how to keep them alive.
A few of reasons.
One, in Japan (and probably other Asian countries) going to the arcade isn't just something children and manchildren do. Practically everyone goes to the arcade every once in a while.
Two, crane games. They have a large variety of stuff from snacks to themed merchandise and they're made to take multiple attempts to win.
Three, some of the machines are fucking pokie machines where people spend hours trying to get more tokens than they started with. It's quite literally gambling.

asia is an irrelevant shit hole

every country outside of the U.S is an irrelevant shit hole

especially europe

bait/10

No because home computers are powerful enough to emulate any arcade game ever made.

non American/10

post discarded

ey m8s aussie here stop actin like a couple of pelicans and get ya along ya dingos

>aussie

not only irrelevant, but also hated

You're just jealous we still have arcades

arcades filled with deadly spiders and wild kangaroos raping your women

>VR Halls will be Arcades 2.0
∀Rcades are going to be big.

Unfortunately, they'll probably be more like movie theaters than the social spaces full of miscellaneous scumbags arcades were.

We have an arcade in my town (Binghamton USA) it's pretty cool i went there before

>kangaroos raping women
Didn't know that was your fetish...

There is little incentive for them

Unless you go for the trending memes like vr