Does anyone here own the new Macbook? What are your impressions after using it for a while

Does anyone here own the new Macbook? What are your impressions after using it for a while.

I'm planning to buy one for my younger sister who starts high school soon.

What kind of student discounts are there?

honestly, a rMBP is better
the macbook is purely for aesthetics, no real advantage over the rest

we all know macs sucks (for our uses), the average person will love one though. that is completely understandable.

what is "new" about a mac though?
hasn't the design for macs been the same since 2011?

That thing is tiny!
Maclets, when will they learn?

have one, currently trying to sell it. does browsing, office, final cut and all that shit fine but the lack of usb ports is what drove me to get a 15" rMBP

It's tiny and fragile.

i have a family relative who has one, and i've had a chance to use one for days on end.

my god, was it such a piece of shit. my first problem was using that abomination of a keyboard, which shouldn't be classed as one. it's got those 'butterfly' keys, which is only good if you've typed on a tablet. though it may be sleek and thin, i found myself hurting my wrists while typing. the lack of any standard ports was also a pain in the ass, and I couldn't use my usb drive to save work without going to the store and buying an overpriced adapter. i actually ended up buying a dell latitude online, because i couldn't use this piece of shit to do all the tasks I need to do. at least get a macbook air if you insist on getting an overpriced fruit computer. though it lacks the retina display, the keyboard actually feels like one, it's sleek and slim like the retina macbook, it's cheaper and you're still getting the mac os x experience.

oh, and the core m is the shittiest processor i've seen so far. i've got pentium 4's which run better than that thing

>I'm planning to buy one for my younger sister
Ok

I wouldn't buy any 1st generation apple product.

It's on it's second generation now

I'm posting from an early 2015 MacBook.

I got it because I needed an ultra portable laptop for daily productivity. I carry it every day so it's extreme light weight means my neck and shoulder thank me at the end of the day (I suffer from neck and shoulder pain). Besides the light weight I really like the track pad, it's probably the best track pad I've ever used.

But, I regret my purchase (thank god apple laptops hold their resale value). The keyboard is the first major problem you'll encounter when you start to use it. The new butterfly keys are a fucking disgrace to keyboards, they are extremely uncomfortable to use. And combined with the smaller keyboard design you'll really hate typing on it.

What really has me looking to other laptops is the MacBook's lack of power. If you try to multitask with a few windows open (Firefox, PDF reader, word, etc.) you'll begin to experience slowdowns. This is a huge issue for me and the reason I'm looking for something else, even more so than the keyboard.

I've looked at the Dell XPS, but I'm not to keen on the build quality, screen and bulkiness. The Macbook Air screen is shit. So, I don't know what I'll do, I guess I'll just wait and see if Apple drops a new Macbook Air with a non shit screen in the fall.

That one there got ruined by nigger hands

Like your mom

Sounds like you need a Carbon X1 or X1 Yoga, ignore the Lenovo is shit meme, and seriously consider it. I absolutely love mine, and I'm very critical, I've own several MacBook pros, Razer Blades etc. Just remember to remove the anti-glare cover if you like colourful glossy screens. The only fault is the speakers, but i doubt thats really an issue for daily use, and excluding that it's the perfect system.

>That thing is tiny!

Send from my x220

I've heard mixed to negative things about the yoga, but I'm very curious about the carbon. The problem is I can't find a best buy, Microsoft store, etc. where they are available to try. I really don't want to buy a laptop without being able to put my hands on it first.

The second generation is like the "S" iPhones, i guess he means wait until they actually change something besides small-ish spec bumps to match 6 months newer hardware.

That's fair enough, I personally own a Carbon X1 gen 3. Here's my thoughts.

Screen
Reallt good, once you remove the anti-glare, the colours become far more vibrant, and the maximum brightness is increased considerably (keep in mind I own the IPS touch model, I'm sure the TN screen is dogshit). The screen is naturally a bit warm for my liking, I'd tone it down a little in the settings. 14" and QHD is truly the sweet spot for clarity and productivity, also legacy programs don't suffer from intense scaling issues like they would on QHD+ or 4K.

Build Quality
>Fantastic, very rigid Carbon fiber Shell with a magnesium roll cage inside, it all feels very confident.

Keyboard
>as you would expect, fucking amazing.

Track Point
>Fucking fantastic, and unobtrusive if you don't like it.

Track Pad
>almost as good as a MacBook, it's definitely the best I've ever used on windows.

Connectivity
>Having the option to use 4G straight from the system is really handy

Battery life
>really good, much more stable than my prior MacBooks, I consistently hit 7-9 hours, depending on the tasks.

Touchscreen
>It works great, but I personally don't use it much, but I love having a glass screen.

Speakers
>meh, you should really be using headphones for anything that isn't a YouTube video.

I/O
>fucking brilliant

>implying your sister needs a fucking macbook for highschool
Build her a cheap desktop for $400 and buy a nice monitor

That's fair enough, I personally own a Carbon X1 gen 3, I bought mine on eBay for $2,200 AUD 9 or so months ago. 256gb SSD, i7, QHD IPS Touchscreen. Here's my thoughts.

Screen
>Really good, once you remove the anti-glare, the colours become far more vibrant, and the maximum brightness is increased considerably (keep in mind I own the IPS touch model, I'm sure the TN screen is dogshit). The screen is naturally a bit warm for my liking, I'd tone it down a little in the settings. 14" and QHD is truly the sweet spot for clarity and productivity, also legacy programs don't suffer from intense scaling issues like they would on QHD+ or 4K.

Build Quality
>Fantastic, very rigid Carbon fiber Shell with a magnesium roll cage inside, it all feels very confident.

Keyboard
>as you would expect, fucking amazing.

Track Point
>Fucking fantastic, and unobtrusive if you don't like it.

Track Pad
>almost as good as a MacBook, it's definitely the best I've ever used on windows.

Connectivity
>Having the option to use 4G straight from the system is really handy

Battery life
>really good, much more stable than my prior MacBooks, I consistently hit 7-9 hours, depending on the tasks.

Touchscreen
>It works great, but I personally don't use it much, but I love having a glass screen.

Speakers
>meh, you should really be using headphones for anything that isn't a YouTube video.

I/O
>fucking brilliant

EDIT: Fixed cancer
(Sent from my memephone)

Fucking neet basement dweller, Ultrabooks are really useful, you'd know if you owned one.

>But muh gayms!?

I doubt this guys sister gives a fuck.

>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel themselves has admitted it's utter shit now and has trashed the design to go back to copying 90's era laptops with solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>ultra shit tier zero travel chiclet keyboard
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz because of chronic overheating problems
>retina meme supposedly for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating makes it impossible to use anywhere outside or with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air is even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade from overheating

Are there any laptops as shit as applel laptops?

Thanks, I'll look into it some more!

So are you stupid or do you actually live under a literal rock?

You're retarded. I pull in six figures and everyone on my team uses a Mac.

Please tell me: which developers do you know that use cum-encrusted Thinkpads with anime stickers?

>>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal crippled cooling system
It is a fucking laptop. All of them do this. Literally every single fucking laptop does this. It is a penis toaster disguised as a computer.

this, an rmbp is literally the most well rounded pleasure to use piece of technology on the market

>I've looked at the Dell XPS, but I'm not to keen on the build quality
Carbon fiber and aluminum, plus well assembled, the hinge doesn't screw onto the panel and it's much more serviceable than anything Apple has put out in the last decade.
>screen
I had trouble finding a better screen actually.
>and bulkiness.
What the fuck, it's thinner than a MBP, weighs considerably less than one and it has the smallest bezels of any laptop ever made.
There are a few reasons to not like it, just not the ones you pointed out.

But it doesn't run os x

>shitskin hand

Every. Fucking. Time.

You're a kind Onii-san.

All the developers I know use the Dell XPS 13 Developer Edition, not some locked down piece of shit iTodder trash.

Don't fall for this b8 m8. That copy pasta isn't even relevant anymore desu.

Don't. They are seriously underpowered for the price they are asking. My 2008 iBook feels faster in every way. You can get a better laptop for $300. A used Macbook Pro is better bang for your buck if she *needs* an OS X device.
A Dell XPS 13 is such a better option.

>trackpad impossible to click near upper edge
>extremely loose near bottom edge
>overall flimsy diving board piece of shit
>even applel themselves has admitted it's utter shit now and has trashed the design to go back to copying 90's era laptops with solid non-click touchpads
>still has no real buttons
>relies on pressure sensitive gimmick bullshit
>if you press too lightly or too hard it does something completely different than what you intended
>ultra shit tier zero travel chiclet keyboard
>OSX is a steaming pile of shit with horrendous battery management
>applel's solution is to cram in a massive heavy 95WHr battery to make up for it
>even XXXTREME GAMER cancer like razer blade with 4X the CPU/GPU power and 70WHr battery matches it in battery life in same tasks
>gets BTFO by 55WHr Yoga 2 in battery life in same tasks
>the battery takes up the space where a cooling system would've been in a laptop not designed by the world's thinnest and lightest gay hipsters
>overheats at the slightest task because abysmal crippled cooling system
>throttles to 800mhz because of chronic overheating problems
>retina meme supposedly for "pros" have have gloss mirror coating makes it impossible to use anywhere outside or with overhead lighting
>blurry as shit retina meme scaling
>shitbook air is even worse with glossy 1366x768 TN eye cancer
>systemic battery explosion problems for over a decade from overheating

Are there any laptops as shit as applel laptops?

X P S 1 3
P
S

Don't, get the XPS 13 instead. Don't be a fucking retard.

gonna offer some actual advice as someone who recently bought one for his sister.
1) It is not fast. In fact, it will probably slow to a crawl if you try to play 2 1080p videos at the same time. No fans will do this.
2) It is amazingly thin and light
3) Battery life is meh. But for a highschool/college student, they'll have plugs everywhere anyway
4) Retina screen is beautiful
5) Build quality is top-notch. I dare you to find a $1200 windows laptop with the same build quality. Do it.

Bottom line: Buy it. I do think the laptop is overpriced for the specs. But let's be real, you aren't buying this for it's specs. It is amazingly light, well built, and has a beautiful screen. It is the perfect high school/college laptop for people who only browse the web and write papers. Let me know if you have any other questions OP.

This entire post is made up. I have the 2016 MacBook and run a Windows VM with 10+ chrome tabs, 2 PDFs and more and there is absolutely no slow down whatsoever .

>I dare you to find a $1200 windows laptop with the same build quality. Do it.
XPS 13, dumbass.

I work for a top 5 engineering and architecture firm in the world (both by size and by revenue) and we all use thinkpads. If you think everyone uses macs in the professional world, lololololololololololololol

lolololololololol

llololololololololl

Last two companies I worked for (one of which was also extremely large, 4000+ employees) also used exactly zero macs.

It renders other laptops obsolete. Don't fall prey to the anti-macfags.

I'm a PhD student in one of the top 5 CS programs in the world. I don't own a rMB but another PhD student does and his research area is in graphics so I would have assumed he'd need access to more powerful resources. He seems happy with the rMB though, so I asked him about his use case to try and understand it (we're too well-funded for him to be stuck with anything that he's not genuinely happy using, the way some people retrospectively justify their mistakes because they don't have any alternatives).

The gist, from what I've seen, is that the rMB has an uncanny valley of appeal. If you've been happy with an iPad but occasionally thought "sometimes I write slightly longer emails and I wish the accessory keyboards weren't such shit", then you're set - this is the device for you.

If you're moderately competent, then this is going to bug the shit out of you. You're just not going to be able to get your shit done with this.

If you're *very* competent, then it's not quite the uncanny valley where everyone reaches nirvana, but there's some group of people who just dump all of their work onto remote machines (I mean everything, even editing), in which case the retina Macbook turns into an excellent "thin" client of a machine that's not hooked into Google, has the display resolution scaling that OS X is famously good for, etc...

I'm close to that use case myself, but I'm not there yet. I honestly think I could take the shortcomings if either of the following happened:
- Apple refreshes the rMB with more ports (they did this with the MBA, reaffirming the truism that buying first generation hardware from anyone is a fool's game)
- someone makes a fairly discreet USB battery pack that can charge a rMB at a reasonable speed. I've seen some big hulking packs that would work, but I want something like pic related (this one would barely keep the battery afloat; I want actual positive effect charging).

Same here.
It's always the big 3, Lenovo Thinkpad, Dell Latitude and HP Elitebook. Never seen Macbooks at top companies, only hipster freelance nu male fuckheads use Macbooks and female tumblr "developers".
Chromebooks are on a rise though, which is a welcome sight, a worthy successor to the wintel platform and not locked down like mac garbage.

Do you actually have both side by side? Press down in the middle of the keyboard on both laptops. There is definite flex in the XPS 13's keyboard. Now, is there flex in the Macbook keyboard? No? Oh, I see. The door is that way.

As an XPS13 owner.

Get a fucking macbook pro or air

Just little things like having a smaller charging brick, a touchpad thats actually worth a damn and scaling that works (fuck i hate windows scaling and linux isnt much better in a lot of cases)

XPS is fine if you can use it somewhere with a mouse and arent somewhere in light with its glossy as fuck screen.

The MacBook doesn't have a charging brick

Flex is a consequence of Carbon fiber. It's also more desirable to have a tiny bit of flex for daily wear and tear instead of taking all the force on the internals like on the mac, it's stupid babbying something thats supposed to be a portable computer.

Fuck off, if you really had an XPS, you would know how much better it is than iToddler trash.

it does have a brick but its not some fucking wide thing that takes up 3 slots on a powerboard.

you need to use the extension cable to plug it in all the time. Its just more shit to carry around

I interned at MSR last summer. Some people there use rMBPs. I know MSR isn't Microsoft, but if you don't respect that they're a fully legitimate group of CS researchers, you're just painting yourself into a corner with your zealot paintbrush.

Facebook and Google issue rMBPs to their interns and employees. So does Tableau. I'm willing to bet if we surveyed all the tech companies in Seattle and Silicon Valley you would find that *most*, if not all, give their people Apple hardware.

It's fine if you don't like it, but claiming that your experience at the last two companies you worked for are representative of the professional world as it relates to us on Sup Forums* is stupid. and you're probably not stupid, so don't pretend like you are.

*I'm assuming most of us are in the tech sector and discussing that area

you obviously have had neither and are shilling for dell for some reason

you will rarely see macs in many corporate environments.

windows is just so far ahead in this area in terms of control when logging into a domain.

Why the fuck would anyone be stupid enough to get a mactoddler iTrash on here, I don't know.
There are a fuck ton of stores that stock both laptops, it doesn't take a genius to test them out there before you buy the fucking the. The Dell XPS 13 is a definite winner in specs, portability thanks to the tiny bezels, keyboard and battery life. You have to be an absolute fucknut moron to get a Macbook over an XPS.

also just because a big company or business use one brand does not make them any better. They go for whats best value and companies like dell and hp do some ridiculous corporate rates for these big companies so it makes sense why they get used.

If it's FOR YOUR SISTER it'd be an awful shame you decided not to get her one because a bunch of Sup Forums artists told you otherwise. If it's for anyone else, well it's pricey but a nice fucking computer trimmed down all the way and sexy as hell.

technigger is basically white tho

which mac are you comparing to the xps? the 12 ultraportable? that is less portable than a xps? a rmbp has worse battery than a xps?

also you are testing battery life in a store?

The guy talking about the XPS 13 in here is an actual legit Dell marketer. He comes into MacBook purchase threads and shills the XPS 13, as far as even offering CUSTOM GENERATED coupon codes for it. Do not listen to a word he says.

More like mactards falseflagging as xps shills. No company is paying to shill to a bunch of poorfag neckbeards that is Sup Forums.

There he is.

marketers know about your secret club

they are here and all over reddit shilling. you are stupid to think they arent

>browsing r9k
>implying subway isn't a meme

Yes the rMBP has considerably less battery life than the XPS 13. 16 hours (12 hours in reality) for the XPS 13 vs 10 hours (7 hours in reality) for the rMBP13 and 15.
There is a fuckhuge jump in efficiency between Broadwell and Skylake, and the 15" Pro is still stuck on Haswell.

>I work for a top 5 engineering and architecture firm in the world
>lololololololololololololol
>lolololololololol
>llololololololololl

why are you comparing 13 inch to 15 inch now. Keep cherrypicking

>16 hours (12 hours in reality) for the XPS 13
got me to giggle. please keep trying pajeet

>i got pwned so hard
>lol, let's just call him a pajeet
Just face it, the XPS 13 won so hard, you got no way to convince anybody on Sup Forums that a Macbook is a better choice.

Sorry but it isn't. Maybe you have a specced out newer version.

Put up or shut up kid

If you used Windows 8 and newer, you will definitely notice how much more OSX lags. Microsoft really have this hardware acceleration thing worked out.
I have a piece of shit chink tablet with an Atom paired with a 2048x1536 screen and it lags less than my i7 2560x1600 rMBP13. Barely any resolution difference, but almost 10x faster CPU still loses to a shitty Atom running Windows.

Typing on a 2015 XPS 13 right now. Its the top end model - 1TB SSD, i7, 16gb RAM. Skylake is so fucked this unit doesn't sleep. A $2450 laptop wakes itself up in my bag and has fried its logic board once already from the heat it generates when it melts itself down from randomly waking up in my bag while I'm driving to appointments.

how am i 'pwned'

you just pulled some battery life figures out of your curry ass.

please go find me someone who can get 9 hours on a xps 13 (ill make it a bit easier for you)

Also just idling on the desktop on zero brightness doesnt really count. Need normal usage.

>I have a piece of shit chink tablet with an Atom paired with a 2048x1536 screen and it lags less than my i7 2560x1600 rMBP13

No.

>calling me a kid

I don't know what your problem is. I don't have anything against apple if that's what's bothering you. I even said in my first post that I would consider a Macbook Air if they upgraded the screen.

You probably have a faulty unit. Why don't you just contact them and they'll literally come the next day to fix it for you. Not even Apple provides this level of customer service, you have to go to a gaynius bar and wait hours to even get served.

12 hours is normal usage, 16 hours is the min brightness advertising battery life.
Just like 10 hours is Apple's marketing battery life when it gets 6-7 in reality.

found the winbabby
putting down os x doesn't make you part of the technologically literate club
install gentoo

The one thing apple has going for it is their service. Dell is awful to deal with kiddo.

>found the mactoddler
>putting down windows doesn't make you part of the technologically literate club
We too can play that game, iPajeet.

how do i make my macos look aesthetic

You're joking right? XPS warranty is literally next day service, you get your shit replaced right away, especially when you know exactly what's wrong with it. Unlike Apple, which charges a flat rate of $690 for servicing if it's not a Battery issue.

no they dont. it took them a week to send a replacement charger for my latitude. dell australia (aka indian call centre) wouldnt send a replacement for my xps charger when i was over there as well.

Do it over the internet, works a ton better. They sent pajeet over the next day to replace a blown right speaker and missing F6 key (full keyboard replacement) free of charge on my XPS M153 (2008 model), in and out in 20 minutes. Those things are classed as out-of-warranty service for Apple devices and you'll have to cough up $690 for it.
Since that XPS I had from 2008 died from the dreaded defective Nvidia 8600 problem, they gave me a full refund 5 years later in 2013, way out of warranty. Absolutely amazing service if you ask me.

>for our uses
I don't play video games

Wait, are you saying someone would lie on the internet?

Reminder that there are actual Indian Microsoft shills on this board

Nope, just iPajeets.

Try shilling on reddit Sanjay they will most likely be more receptive

Whatever you say, iPajeet!

>Damn! I've been found out
>"W-whatever i-ipajeet!"
>MR. CHOPRA I NEED HELP! THEY KNOW!

>What kind of student discounts are there?
You get like 50 dollars off if you're in college, but I'm not sure if they have any kind of high school discount.

Well said, iPajeet!

>56005671

Still waiting on your witty retort