Model S spontaneously combusts during test drive

>electric cars
>ever

finance.yahoo.com/m/875373be-1880-3302-9959-402f406b9f65/ss_will-tesla-(tsla)-stock-be.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aGg0ATfoBgo
youtube.com/watch?v=R1dCfl5qaXA
autosafety.org/history-gm-side-saddle-gas-tank-defect/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>only electric cars can be set on fire
Ok, kid

wtf i hate tesla now

I wonder who could be behind this post...

electric cars are fundamentally shit

where the fuck do you think teh energy to run them comes from? coal power plants.

the only non-meme car fuel is hydrogen.

Nvidia has a partnership with Tesla
its all starting to make sense now

>where the fuck do you think teh energy to run them comes from? coal power plants.
where the fuck do you think teh energy to generate hydrogen and oxygen from water via electrolysis comes from? coal power plants.

Yeah. That's right. The one single source of electricity humanity has ever come up with and will be used forever in the future is coal.

Can anyone help me buy stock in Tesla so I can buy a Tesla? Feel free to reach me at [email protected]

Nuclear power you raging faggot.

That, and also solar power and every other renewable resource. The world is such a pathetic POS holy crap. Wow fuck all them stupid people in charge. Fucking degenerate pieces of shit trying to fuck the world over. All of them to be hit by multiple buses and drenched in oil and cooked at a moderate 450 degrees along with their multi billions

>nuclear
>while the best option, greenfreaks who love electric vehicles will despise the most efficient and environmentally friendly option because "muh radiation

>solar
>mining the material for making solar panels will require use of hydrocarbon fuels, will be vastly more environmentally destructive, and will still be expensive compared to coal and other biofuels

>wind
>enjoy mass die offs of migratory birds, and the resulting void in the ecological niches they fill

>hyrdoelectric
>would require either living next to rivers, which can run dry in extreme droughts or flood during wet seasons, or living next to the coast, which is rising and won't stop rising, also not accessible to people who live out away from water

The only good choice for now, and the future, is nuclear fission, and fusion respectively.

doesnt matter cause the energy was already produced, better use and store it with electric cars :)

>hurr durr coal powerplant
my nation is 99% renewable energy. kill yourself.

>which can run dry in extreme droughts or flood during wet seasons,
are you fucking retarded?

Why haven't we harnessed this technology yet?

youtube.com/watch?v=aGg0ATfoBgo

skip to 2:05 for the engine demonstration

Bump

Underrated

>renewable energy
When people talk about the sun as renewable I just laugh.

It uses a Tegra X1, right?

Yep. Nothing is renewable.

t. Entropy

So you have to power a dish that emits radio waves to burn the salt water?

yes

Elon Musk actually mocked gasoline fueled cars a couple of years ago because according to himself, Tesla cars weren't "prone to this problem".

in the grand scheme of things, you are a retard

Fortunately they aren't.

Hello shill.

How many gas cars do you hear about just exploding? And that's what most people drive. Theres literally only a couple hundred Teslas in circulation.

The electric car meme is dead.

The schadenfreude I am going to experience when manual cars are outlawed and everything is automatic is going to be unprecedented.

It's too bad the doors don't automatically lock the rich people inside when they blow up.

Wow what's with the rich hate?

>only a couple hundred
I've seen like 30 Teslas in my suburb alone.
You're retarded.

>tfw electric cars are the only currently viable renewable transportation we have
>tfw it's shit
He3 mining/cold fusion when?

couple hundred? I see them everywhere

>How many gas cars do you hear about just exploding?
There have been a number over the years. It's only big news because its a special meme car that there are only a few hundred of.
Just Google car explodes and you'll find a billion results.

just wait unil they put those nvidia GPUs in them

>The vehicle made a loud noise and displayed an alert on the dashboard telling the passengers there was a charging issue, Business Insider reports. A Tesla employee then told the driver to pull over and had all passengers exit the car. A Reddit user posted a picture of a Tesla car on fire this morning. The user said the passengers had already exited the car at the time the photo was taken.

>car displays an alert
>all passengers exit
>all passengers safe
>car commits Buddhist sudoku after everyone is safe
This is the best car ever.

Compare that to the Russian car that just burst into flame while the people were still inside.

Mind you, that was from a shitty LPG conversion.

>faster than a motorcycle
>no exhaust/noise
>pretty much maintenance free except for brake pads and batteries when they wear out

Literally the only con of an EV at the moment is the cost of replacing batteries, which will get cheaper by the time you need them.

>yfw the user can't disassemble and replace the battery himself
>yfw you lose you warranty

>Buddhist sudoku

I didn't know the car could play sudoku or is it only on Sundays like the paper?

Reminder that centralized energy generation is far more efficient than individual combustion engines. Reminder that nuclear power is clean as fuck and electric cars are the future.

You don't replace the battery packs you recycle and refresh the cells like on Prius. It usually costs under a grand to get a new battery pack instead of all new from Toyota for a few grand.

>centralized

From what I've learned of /biz/, Sup Forums, and Sup Forums, nothing centralized is ever good.

Shit happens mayne
youtube.com/watch?v=R1dCfl5qaXA
took 15 secs

Think of continuous not centralized. You need a continuous base amount of electricity for a given area with smaller plants that are on demand for peak hours.

Thats a tiny hybrid battery dude.
Real EV battery packs cost 10x that.

Double the cost of what you would pay for a prius pack then it's still cheaper than buying from manufacturer or as new.

Venezuela had power shortages because of the biggest dam couldn't work. That was because of the low water levels

Depends on the scale you look at it from.
Individual communities have centralized power plants, but the entire country has thousands of these plants overlapping eachother.

The battery packs for a Tesla cost more than an entire 2016 Prius fully upgraded, it isn't an EV, its a hybrid.

Think more along the lines of 20-40k depending on the size of the pack.

The costs won't come down until the Tesla Gigafactory is complete and they start making huge cells.

You forgot about tidal geothermal. Besides coal/gas/nuclear plants still need water to run. Every conventional power plant uses heat energy to generate steam that drives a turbine. Hydroelectric uses gravity and water.

*Tidal and geothermal.

Tidal is an unknown when it comes to environment damage. Hydro definitely damages the environment and ecosystem of large areas.

A combustion engine will always be infinitely more fun to drive.
Enjoy your complete disconnection from the road.

>Thanks god secure combustion technology never combusts

Sup Forums 2016 tier

>Hydro definitely damages the environment and ecosystem of large areas.

Huge artificial lakes with tons of campgrounds, stocked fish, and lakefront property isn't damaging to ecology.

>A combustion engine will always be infinitely more fun to drive.
I wouldn't be so sure.
What is inherently fun about a combustion engine? Having less torque?

>opinions
hue

Hydro doesn't damage the environment. Lakes have formed on their own for millions of years and you don't see people going, "Oh no! That lake is terrible! Think of all the destruction to the environment that was caused when it formed!"
No, that would just be retarded. At worst hydro is no more damaging to the environment than a natural disaster.

Being able to hear the engine
Having gears to change
Less electronics
Better top end
Being able to go harder

The list goes on. I'm not against electric cars, but don't pretend EVs something they're not.

>Tesla’s “cars themselves aren’t making the company any money.” A Model S with a typical options package sells for more than $100,000, but that is literally tens of thousands of dollars less than it costs to manufacture and sell.

>The direct subsidies for purchasers, to encourage them to buy “clean-energy” vehicles, are fairly well-known: a $7,500 federal tax credit and a wide variety of state-level incentive programs. (

>Less well-known are the hidden subsidies that flow directly to Tesla, thanks to “zero-emission vehicle” (ZEV) credits. ZEV credits are a mandate dreamed up by the bureaucrats at the California Air Resources Board (CARB), which requires manufacturers to build and dealers to sell an arbitrary number of “zero-emission” vehicles each year. (Note that these vehicles are actually “zero-emission” only in the unlikely event that the electricity used by the car comes from a zero-emission source — which, of course, would also be heavily subsidized.) Tesla’s Model S generates four credits per unit sold. This means the company can sell $20,000 in ZEV credits to other manufacturers for each Model S sold — a cost borne by purchasers of other cars. And that amount used to be even higher. Because ZEV law is so arcane, Tesla was able to game the system for additional credits; for example, it was able to generate an additional three credits per vehicle when it demonstrated to CARB that its batteries could theoretically be rapidly swapped. But in fact the battery-swapping pilot program is more than a year late getting started. Nonetheless, those extra credits netted the company an additional $15,000 per car sold — and the company is now trying to get them reinstated. In 2013, ZEV credits to Tesla totaled $129.8 million — to a company that lost $61.3 million for the year on its actual manufacturing and selling operations.

Concept One is superior anyway.

>Better top end
lmfao
There are no consumer retail gas cars that are as fast as a Tesla and there never will be.

I wonder who being this post?

>Being able to hear the engine
Dunno if that actually makes it any more fun.
>Having gears to change
I might give you this, but gearing is a byproduct of how shitty combustion engines are.
>Less electronics
Can't give you this unless we are comparing electric cars to old cars only.
>Better top end
>Being able to go harder
Complete bullshit. Slap yourself.

Kek, even a Ford focus can beat it around the Nürburgring.

Everyone knows electric cars are shit past 130km/h

>A combustion engine will always be infinitely more fun to drive.
How exactly? Last time I checked instant throttle response (which you always get in an electric vehicle) is what makes cars more fun to drive. I mean BMW spent ages trying to figure out a way to kill the turbo lag so they could turbocharge an M car and keep the responsivness of the NA engines of old.
>Enjoy your complete disconnection from the road.
This claim is so removed from reality that I don't even know how to respond to it. So please, elaborate how the type of the engine gives me better or worse feel for what the car is doing rather than I don know... suspension setup? chassis stiffness? power steering setup?

wtf? electric cars can burn too?

Drive by wire a shit. No replacement for displacement.

0-60mph in 2 seconds, if you think a Ford focus is faster you are arguing semantics for scenarios that would never happen in real life.

And the Tesla can't make one lap of the Nürburgring without going into limp mode.

>Kek, even a Ford focus can beat it around the Nürburgring.
But who is the driver?

/o/tist dropping by, engine sounds are a great music that will be lost to history and internal-combustion engine cars absolutely have higher top speeds and better acceleration at speed. An electric motor has a flat hp curve, meaning torque drops off as RPM increases. ICEs have fairly flat torque curves, meaning they are still able to accelerate fairly quickly at speed. A Tesla will accelerate from a stop extremely quickly but that's basically its only selling point to an enthusiast, considering batteries are heavy so it can't turn or stop, nor is it amazingly responsive when in motion, as stated why above.
To be fair most EVs are going to have electric power steering which kills road feel.
Nurburgring benchracers irk me to no end but he has a point, while it will beat almost anything from a standing start drag race, it suffers from being very heavy, thus being not very nimble around a corner nor being able to stop very well.

>literally only a couple hundred Teslas in circulation
I have seen at least 10-20 around this area, and I'm not even really paying attention, nor do I go out all that often.

I also live near one of the wealthiest suburbs on the east coast...but still, they aren't exactly rare.

Takumi Fujiwara

>Being able to hear the engine
Just do what the current M cars do and simply play engine noises through the in-car stereo.
>Having gears to change
That's an advantage over an automatic where you could do things it couldn't - downshift to engine brake or downshift to get optimal torque. Electric engine does all that without gears.
>Less electronics
But much more moving parts. And all that keeps them from a catastrophic failure is a thin oil film.
>Better top end
Yup, that's true. However the electric engines are now pushing where that top end is. So it's kinda irrelevant. Tesla was the one that came in and moved the goalposts.
>Being able to go harder
How exacly?

I don't know what a nurburgring is so I have no idea what he is talking about.

I'm never going to go over 155mph because I'm not suicidal so power off the line is the only thing that matters as its quite literally the only performance an enthusiast is going to regularly use.

>even a Ford focus can beat it around the Nürburgring
that car weighs like 2,000lbs less than a P85D tesla... not really a fair comparison over a long distance track like the nurburgring which has lots of sharp turns the tesla simply can't take at any meaningful speed.

In most average city driving conditions, you'll be able to accelerate faster and have a bit more fun in the Tesla.

Electric cars are a shitty meme that will never catch on unless there's some huge breakthrough in battery technology

They are using tiny cells in the battery packs don't worry the Gigafactory is almost done and it will cut battery costs by like 80%

I have personally known 4 people who had their cars spontaneously blow up in flames while stopped, parked and completely shut off.

>5 minutes to fill gas tank anywhere in the country
>30 minutes to 1 day to recharge electric car at limited locations
All I need to know

Good thing it happened during a test and not in a commercially sold model. Tests are meant to find problems like these.

You're forgetting the 90's, senpai

autosafety.org/history-gm-side-saddle-gas-tank-defect/

>1 fire
>our of hundreds of thousands of Teslas

That's not a big deal. It will get investigated and improved. Every car maker has issues with their vehicles. Hell, I've had 2 safety recalls on my car in the past 2 years.

>Small reminder that solar efficiency has boosted a lot

The Nurburgring is the longest racetrack in the world, much-loved by benchracers because small gaps between cars turn into huge number gaps due to the insanely long lap times it churns out.

However, it is also beloved by genuine enthusiats for being extremely accessible, as it is technically a toll road, and anyone can pay to hotlap their car on it.

minutes to 1 day to recharge electric car at limited locations
super charging only takes about 30 minutes for ~170miles of range, grab a pastry and some coffee.
Not to mention the GPS in the car automatically takes you on routes that hit super chargers so you dont get stranded somewhere and have to wait hours to charge on a normal plug.

Also, they toyed with the idea of swapping batteries and it's possible to switch out the entire battery in roughly a minute or two, however the battery swap stations were fairly expensive and so they never go fully developed or put into use.

Solar will be good, but it's not right now.

Why the fuck they put AMD hardware on a car.

I think he's referring to EVs having a tendency to go into limp-mode if pushed hard. Cooling systems for electric motors, batteries, and electronic speed controllers aren't adequate enough yet.

>Electric cars are a shitty meme that will never catch on unless there's some huge breakthrough in battery technology
While you might be right I believe they have a place now because when the breakthrough in battery technology comes it will be a matter of replacing the batteries in these cars rather than starting designing electric cars from scratch.

ayy

Solar will never overcome its main problem of inconsistent availability. It's not like steam power plants where the turbine spins a flywheel that constantly provides power. Nuclear is the future, not solar panels. Solar panels are mainly good for spacecraft where there's no clouds.

because Jim Keller now works there

Tesla is a big proponent of driverless cars so I can see why.

The Model 3 will make the meme real. I would have bought one if I didn't have a car already.

I never said anything about nuclear. I think nuclear is the future and should be sought out before we kill this planet and think it's the endgame with possible meme fusion forever 20 years away. A combination of solar panels that aren't shit and nuclear would be ideal.

Solar only becomes useful if battery tech can store and discharge the excess collected solar.

If we can't store and distribute solar power effectively over large distances, it's never going to take off in a huge way.

I agree for short term, nuclear is our best bet for meeting global energy needs over the next century or two. But during this time we really need to work on improving battery tech and efficiency of other renewable energy sources, so when we can easily move off nuclear we can.

>Lithium cells are made by pixie dust and do not deteriorate
>Dysprosium and neodymium used for generators don't massively strain the environment and surely does not make us dependable on china at all.
>Lotsa power inna small package,what could possibly go wrong?

Electric cars are a meme,lad

>nuclear
>environmentally friendly
I wonder whos behind this post.

>To be fair most EVs are going to have electric power steering which kills road feel.
Just like BMWs and Porsches. You know, the cars well known for how they isolate the driver from the road.

>Drive by wire a shit.
See above.
>No replacement for displacement.
The only advantage of a high displacement engine is torque. Hint: electric engines have more torque and at lower rpm. If anything you should be banging on about the top power of turbocharged screamers, as that's where the electric engine genuinely loses to the internal combustion engine.