Help with 80s programmer dad

Helping my dad with his resume. He had all these operating systems, software, and programming languages in one paragraph in a jumble. I think I've got these mostly organized in the right categories but I'm not sure about ((GUMBO, DBASE, FOXBASE, LANSMART)) and how the softwares and programming languages should be ordered.

Anyone have suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4A2mWqLUpzw
youtu.be/4A2mWqLUpz
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

For one, buy him a new keyboard so he can turn off capslock.

Consider changing the resume's theme from 'early 90s website' to 'resume'

>programming languages - HTML, SQL
Those aren't programming languages. HTML is a markup language and SQL is a query language.

one of those is turing complete though
also check'd

Alright, I'm changing it to normal capitalization. I'm thinking about changing the look as well but I also have to make sure it's all on one page and he has big paragraphs which makes it hard for me.

>Those aren't programming languages
I always thought html was... does Turing completeness define what makes a proper programming language?

>>Those aren't programing languages.

HTML is legitimately debatable. A lot of people well-versed in CS still call it a programming language; some don't.

Not sure about SQL.

I always joke about 40+ people being rejected for having functionally obsolete skillsets, but literally any HR dept will think that if they see all those ancient product names and technologies.

It's like they literally pulled a guy out of the late 80s.

The things worth keeping from that list are AS/400, Cobol, Fortran, and Java (though modern Java is nothing like the early stuff). His best bet is Fortran or Cobol programming for old dinosaur systems.

>what is Transact-SQL

You can get paid huge money for Cobol now, there are a lot of companies still running Cobol systems that desperately need Cobol programmers and will pay huge money.

cobol is blow-your-brains-out difficult tho
they pay well but they want you to do literal witchcraft on their decades-old improperly maintained data

>IBM Websphere thingy thing for thing
Change this to IBM Websphere OneThing.

>SDA, PDM, SEU, DFU, DBU, RLU, RDA, DDMF, VPM
Alphabet soup does not help. Use full names.

I think it would Help if your dad picked up something more modern to show his flexibility. Understanding of Linux and an intepreted language like Python, ruby, php or Perl should improve his chances.

Thanks

I want the same too but he said when he tries to learn the new languages (specifically Java) his brain just can't handle it. He's past 50 now and had some benign brain tumor from a car accident last year.

OP: Have I got the job for your dad.

I represent the dominant distributor of Gumbo for the entire North American market. Our logistics moves 10 tons of pure Gumbo a day. Business is booming and we can't meet the demand so I am hiring more chefs. I am impressed by his Microsoft Office skills, as mentioned in his resume.

Please, write me and email and deposit it directly into the TRASH.

Your dad will make $150k with COBOL and Fortran easily, unlike any Sup Forums hipster

> entire post is in capslock
> mentions proficiency with cobol

heh.

In all seriousness, he needs some experience with a language that's relevant today. Most cobol hires are "we don't want to modernize, keep this cobol system running." Have him get a github/gitlab/whatever page and show some projects done in ruby/python/c/literally anything.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but right now he's coming across as a dinosaur.

Also don't include MS word fluff if you're trying to get a software dev job. That's for people who don't have skills/newly graduated college students to show that they're not completely useless/can use a computer. If your dad can write cobol, I'm pretty sure by default he can use MSoffice apps and may not be using them much.

Regardless of what skills your dad has, he looks like a dinosaur. Get him to do something modern, just so make it clear he's keeping up with the times.

>Sorry if this sounds mean, but right now he's coming across as a dinosaur.
Does he also still dress like Gordon Gecko and think REM are relevant?

>HTML is legitimately debatable
No it's not lmao, it's a markup language. It's no more of a programming language than XML is.

>A lot of people well-versed in CS
No!? Why would you pull this out of your ass for no reason? Do you like lying for no reason?

Employers ignore technical skills sections because there is no way of knowing if the applicant is competent in any of them. Delete the entire section, or at least annotate the top skills with the job years on the skill.

Only a complete idiot would use html as a programming language. You do want to unit that you're an idiot.

Nice but I seriously don't know what Gumbo in this list is, though. The only thing I can find by Gumbo Software is
>Gumbo Software releases Spool-A-Matic V1R4M0, an upgrade of its iSeries and AS/400 utility that converts host spool files to industry-standard file formats and places the resulting PC files into any directory in the Integrated File System (IFS).

I'll try to talk him into trying more contemporary stuff again. He dresses casual.

>at least annotate the top skills with the job years on the skill.
Like this:
COBOL (1991 - present), Fortran (1993 - present), Java (2015-present)?

More important than a list of things he knows is a list of accomplishments.
Aim for measurable achievements and achievements that show leadership.

Accomplishments are important on a resume, but it does help as well if you have some fairly recent ones to boast about. A product you designed in 1985 isn't going to lend you a lot of cred if you've done nothing of significance in the last 15 years.

A lot of people never bother learning a single new thing after college. I've heard of stuff like old surgeons using surgical techniques that would have been state-of-the-art...in 1976.

>Novell Netware
Holy 1991, Batman!

There's a computerphile video about html being a programming language, look it up famiglia :^)

>all this now-irrelevant software that no one uses anymore
not sure if it's a good idea to put that shit in your resume

>all this now-irrelevant software that no one uses anymore
The company he works at uses them. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of cobol companies do as well, especially if they're still using AS/400.

I think it would be helpful to break programming languages into two headings like "Contemporary Programming Languages" and list Java, SQL, HTML, etc. (would be helpful if he could include something for the past two decades) and "Legacy Programming Languages" or something like that. Make it clear he's up with the new stuff (even if he isn't), while still being conversant in the old.

>The company he works at uses them
What kind of backward-ass company is that? They still use IBM 370s or something?

I'm not sure if they still use the old IBM computers but I've seen him working on modern pcs with interfaces that look like pic related.

The company deals with "Patent and Trademark Intellectual Property Management Systems and Patent Annuity Payment Services." I've seen papers that he's printed that have locations from around the world like Monaco, Melbourne, and Hong Kong and names of certain big companies like Google, Boeing, Paypal, Yahoo so it's not like they serve only "old" clients either.

There's about three things on that list that came out in the last 20 years.

>and had some benign brain tumor from a car accident last year.
Was it removed? Having shit pushing on your brain is not good.

I remember reading somewhere what you can do to avoid age discrimination in job interviews. That includes wearing modern clothing not your Gordon Gecko business suit and suspenders from 1986, not using outdated slang like "rad" or "bangin'", not quoting Three's Company episodes, etc...

It's still in there

fugg, rip. I've got a friend who has heart problems because his heart is covered in benign tumors. Even if it isn't cancer, I think there's plenty of reason to remove such things.

My dad sold this leisure suit of his when doing a closet cleaning (this was some years ago). He wore it to his very first job interview in 1977. Said it was stupid to keep something you'll never wear again around.

I'm 25 and I say rad, somewhat ironically admittedly but I love the word.

Not in an interview though..

agreed, I think certain old slang words make comebacks in some circles

Also if you're 50, big, established IBM-tier firms are more likely to hire you than some tech startup run by 25 year old neckbeards.

He's afraid to have it taken out because it's in the brain, and being a programmer he doesn't want to risk losing the thing he uses a lot for his job or die early.

Yeah it's not necessarily your calendar age so much as the attitude you present and how in touch with the modern world you seem to be.

>le cobol meme
No thanks, I'd rather get 250k a year at Facebook shitting out js all day.

At least you'd be doing something current instead of maintaining business software from 1982.

IS HIS EMPLOYER DEAF?

yes because youtube is always right

>there are a lot of companies still running Cobol systems that desperately need Cobol programmers and will pay huge money
Once the last baby boomers are gone, they're gonna have to retire that shit for lack of people who know how to operate it.

Have him grow his beard, ensure it is evenly grey and put him in a robe you would expect a druid to wear, present him to your nearest bank as a communer of machines of times old.
He will be rich in no time they always have one old as fuck machine using an old language that is still a critical part of the infrastructure.
Specifically fortran and cobol.

Ok then, using ONLY HTML make a program that calculates the factorial.

(NO using JavaScript or any web scripting languages).

seems like you don't know much about the real world, kid

Holy fuck your father mastered Adobe Acrobat!?

Some autist made a 110 rule automaton using html+css (so no pure html) so in the most technical of senses is right, one could program inputs and decode the outputs, but nobody will actually do that.
HTML is a markup language, it is not anymore of a programming language than XML, JSON, YAML, CSV and fucking markdown are.

Western Union is based on AS/400.

Do you mean this one?
youtu.be/4A2mWqLUpzw

Did you even watch the whole thing?

holy dinosaurs batman

just put Java/Fortran on there and he'll be good to go. all that other shit makes it look like he's a jack of all trades

yeah just like taking a shit is a form of fertilizing. anyone can do it, and the results are usually...

You illiterate son of a whore youtu.be/4A2mWqLUpz by fucking prof. David Brailsford.

If he's healthy enough, his body is going to calcify the tumor and it will be harder to remove.

I'll tell him.

Slightly improved pic?

Drop the "IBM PC and compatibles" bit, also drop the Fortran, MS COBOL, Novell Netware, and LANtastic. Change Lotus Notes to IBM Notes (which is the current name for that program).

-

gotcha