Powerline Ethernet

Someone redpill me on this. I currently use wifi and I get a full strength signal 180/15 no issues. Using a TPlink dual band PCIe wireless card.

Haven't used a wired connection in probably 5-6 years. Will I even notice a difference with one of these?

Do I just plug one downstairs into into my Modem/Router and then another from my powerstrip into my PC? Wouldn't it be slower than just using cat5e cable since its utilizing my wiring? Wouldn't it be prone to interference anytime the power surges or fluctuates?

Other urls found in this thread:

dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DHP/DHP 501AV/Manual/DHP501AVmanrevA1v110eu20121008.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are these a meme?

if your house has decent/new wiring and you are not plugin any shit electronics on outlets that share the same wiring you will get a decent connection similar to putting an actual ethernet cable. It will never be the same as an ethernet cable I guess but it will be better than wifi if you had signal problems.
Best use case is when you can't get a decent wifi signal that being structural problems or shit ap/shit wifi card but you share the same electrical wiring.
they are not but if you live in a house from the 1900 and nobody has done a proper rewiring, you are fucked and you will blame the powerline adapters.

I live on the second floor right above the Router and I haven't had any problems. The newer dual band Xfinity routers are pretty damn nice desu.

Basically what I'm trying to say is would this even benefit me. Since I'd be fixing what isn't broken.

in that case I don't think you will see any real benefit, if you don't have latency problems while playing games you won't notice the difference or maybe you'll have worse latency than before.
As I said they are really useful for connecting a computer/area where wifi is a problem.

They're a God send if you're renting a flat with concrete walls and floors like I am.

I have two ASUS RT-AC66Us - one on each floor connected by Powerline adaptors. It's the only way to get full Wi-Fi reception anywhere in the flat.

i had them for a couple years. they will fail when warranty ends. also you will get frequent pairing problems even on MODERN electric wiring

my advice is to avoid them and go thru the hassle of passing an actual wire or use a wifi booster

Definitely get them, especially if you want to monitor traffic on your network in future. Your wireless network card won't be able to cope with the throughput and there will always be the odd weird issue with Wi-Fi that'll have you running around twisting antennas and staring at the ceiling, you'll waste too much time troubleshooting. Keep Wi-Fi for your casual devices that aren't bothered by disconnections. You don't want your entire network to be fucked if someone's rogue IoT fridge starts flooding your router with deauth packets or something equally stupid. Keep it cabled if it's indoors, cables are easier to fix than Wi-Fi deadspots or have a go skiddies trying to DDOS your AP.

if you get a nice wifi dont use it maybe u save 1 or 2ms ping no more.

Not really. I see powerline adapters as an alternative to wifi where reception is poor or non-existent. They come with their own issues and caveats, your mileage will vary. Some people get fantastic throughput, others don't due to things like interference and poor wiring.

>using them in a flat
What is ethernet? What is security?

These things are significantly worse than your current wireless setup.

Can someone explain to me how the fuck does this shit work? Where does the internet signal ends if it goes through the wire? Can i connect 2 neighboring houses with it?

Two story flat senpai

And how would Powerline be any less secure?

Used them for a while when it was the only choice, my electric is from the 1970s and in an appartment, but they worked great for movies/web browsing. I ran into trouble trying to play online games because of short timeouts, I think anything that requires constant uninturupted traffic (even if not a large amount) will have issues as theres small disruptions you wouldnt notice otherwise with a rendered webpage, etc.

Todays wifi is probably better, but theres still purpose for them, and they are handy for testing.

Is the connection over the powerline encrypted, or can your neighbour just plug one of these in and see what you're doing?

>Where does the internet signal ends if it goes through the wire?
it usually ends at the breakout box

and no, usually that's not possible

most of the devices offer some kind of encryption that you can setup

click on "Security" in table of contents
dlink.com/-/media/Consumer_Products/DHP/DHP 501AV/Manual/DHP501AVmanrevA1v110eu20121008.pdf

Don't use them, bro, they jam shortwave radio.

if you never have outages and the pings are consistenly good (no dropped packages) then staying with what works is the safest route

In my case, I have concrete walls and the wifi behind them is weak. Never have any problems with powerline, no packet loss or outages. But in other households the connection can drop every few minutes.

Question: I have a couple with no apparent brand from the TV company, for their VOD service. One is next to the router, the other in the living room, connected to the TV box.
My room is a secure concrete room with a large steel door. The router is on the other side of the wall, but the reception is pretty bad. I'm limited in bandwidth, and experiencing disconnections several times a day. I want to run a wire, but drilling a hole in the wall would both compromise the room's security, and will be very difficult.
Is it possible to buy a second pair of these devices which would work in parallel to the existing pair?

why are you in a secure room?

It's a room, and it'd be a waste if nobody used it. Why have a secure room? It's become a construction regulation in my country to have a secure room in a house.

it's worth a try especially if the store would take them back if it didn't work

the possible outcomes are
1) the third adapter will be able to communicate with the existing ones
2) the pair works in parallel
3) both pairs conflict

>powerstrip
no no no no no
no
you need to have them plugged DIRECTLY into the wall or they WILL NOT WORK

If they're the same brand it's fairly easy to set up. I recommend putting them all on the same plug reel/extension/socket and syncing them up there, once that's done they seem to work much more stably than if they pair up through troublesome walls.

nice FUD, I used to use one plugged into a surge protector and it worked.

enjoy your worse speeds, namefag
if it's a single-device surge protector it's fine but ohterwise no

They can work from a powerstrip, but the signal quality can be degraded.

that's what i'm saying though
depending on the powerstrip it can either work okayish or barely at all and suffer constant disconnects
it's much easier and much more reliable to just plug it in directly to the wall

Is this a USA thing? Even a cheap power strip is literally two metal strips which the plugs touch. In the UK these things make little difference, even when plugging into shitting old house electronics. Of course I'm not putting them at the end of a daisy chain, but in the first strip close to the wall. As long as you sync them together on the same power strip they work pretty damn well.

t. Someone that never wired a house before

Basically all your ``direct'' plugins are just part of a huge power strip that runs all over your whole house.

canada actually
and it's also dependant on the powerline devices themselves
either way i've always had problems trying to use them on a powerstrip/powerbar

I use them because I thought it would be less of a hassle than buying a wifi card for my desktop or running a cable. It does work most of the time with full speeds but about once a day it randomly disconnects and I have to pull the adapter out and put it back in. It's mildly annoying.

>t. Someone that never wired a house before
>Basically all your ``direct'' plugins are just part of a huge power strip that runs all over your whole house.

this

fucking dumb faggot 16 year old minecraft linus tech tips reddit cunt

I used a set of these for about a year for me and my sister's internet, they worked pretty damn well in both a house from 1985 and one build a few years ago.

I never ran them very hard (aus internet being slow as it is), but they did the job better than wifi could.

Literally anyone in your apartment can intercept your traffic?

If you don't get a super poorfag version there's literally buttons on the wall units that encrypt your stuff

its a complete meme and a terrible way to fix a nonexistent problem. wifi is better than this in ever case.
if you want something else just buy a cat5e cable or better

Yeah talk to me when your wifi can go through seven concrete walls.

They have to be pluged in directly into the wall or they flatout dont work.

Source I own some

>if you want something else just buy a cat5e cable or better

I have always wondered, is my neighbor has these, if I get one, free net?

No because they're paired and use encryption and your neighbour probably doesn't work on the same power ring. The guy 3 doors down might though, but the signal would be deteriorated.

It is possible to triangulate and decrypt though, but right now it's so unlikely and unfeasible that it might as well be practically impossible. You'd have to live down the road from the NSA.

>in your apartment
>in your apartment
If some unknown dude can get into your apartment then you have other problems than him stealing your internet, idiot.

That depends on what you plug in. Some Multi socket power strips have protection that prevents them from working.

How the fuck do they work

lectricity and shit man

how the computer know what internet and what electricity

They work on the principle of transphasic carrier wave modulation.

They're trash.

I use some because my roommate's router is garbage and i didn't feel like asking him to put in a new one, so i hooked up a powerline from it to my own better router

they're fine but they're only half duplex, which you'll barely notice

and if it's a choice between powerline and wifi, they're both half duplex anyway

I guess that's what adds up to latency or micro sttutering that fucks up constant connection or playing games.

It doesn't, it doesn't add any latency that would be visible on a traceroute/ping, if it does then you've got device, cable or wiring issues.

If you a best case connection both ways the only time you save is for the data flowing through the air( a few seconds slower )

I installed a couple one on a small office and another for a nephew that had shit wifi signal. The small office had no problems, it was brand new wiring and not much distance, but theyuse it for internet mostly. The kid has a desktop and probably shitposts, browsing and play some games like LoL and he hasn't complained at all about latency.
I wonder if most people complain about these because they got cheap ass powerline adapters or they had nigger riged shit wiring on their homes.

>I have a couple with no apparent brand from the TV company, for their VOD service.
Haha wtf kinda amateur hour telco do you pay? They should be using MoCA.

How secure are we talking?

Idiot, specialized encryption/decryption chips do it faster than your mom gains weight.

you talk about weight too much, you seem a fat angry cunt. Stop shitposting and go back to your corner for more cheetos and sobbing.

At least I don't pretend knowing about things I'm clueless about.

>shortwave
Who cares?
Shortwave fucks ruined *DSL for millions of people for over 15 years.

Fuck HAM operators.

>Shortwave fucks ruined *DSL for millions of people for over 15 years.
huh?

In my experience it's really hit or miss depending on your house wiring, my router is in the next room and I get like fucking 4mbps and yet the room adjacent to mine gets 50

I've switched to a PCI wireless adaptor

I use em on my main PC, work great

Lots of operators pollute phone lines with their transmissions, ADSL2+ for example uses bins upto 2.1mhz, shortwave operators on the longer end of the scale fuck that up royally.

Straight up, shortwave amateurs should be banned.

If you want neato communication, setup some laser to the moon shit, the mirror is there. lasers can be isolated down to exceptionally narrow bandwidths and the is no shortage of bandwidth, both within and outside the visible spectrum. (see: how multiple circuits over a single fiber work)

Stop polluting the RF bands.
There are other ways to be supernerds with nothing better to do.

Just imagine, you won't have to spend so much on power for transmitter equipment!

>being called a fat sobbing cheeto eating cunt
>admitting to it
You sure seem to have the profile of a person that knows some subjects.

I had these a few years ago, very prone to disturbances, less stable than current wifi technology

You don't respect my freedom. Fuck you ISP cuck, governmental bitch.

Apartments usually have separate fuse boxes... especially with modern wiring

>my freedom is worth more than the freeomd of thousands of others

If you plug it into a power strip it will not work. You have to plug them directly into a wall. Otherwise the line conditioning from the power strip will cause problems.

I'm using a gigabit adapter in my apartment and it's quite good. Latency in games has gotten as low as 15 ms and my download speeds are limited by my modem (typically around 6 megabytes a sec since I have shit tier internet).

Before I was using Wi-Fi and it sucked balls.

Former ISP employee here, RF interference is the bane of my life