/hpg/ - Headphone General

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Asking "Hey guys, what's your opinion on x?" is frowned upon.
Wireless is frowned upon.
Headset requests are frowned upon.
Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation
If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=v2027
amazon.com/Creative-Labs-HS800-Fatal1ty-Headset/dp/B002DS4HTM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471333710&sr=1-1&keywords=fatal1ty
amazon.com/SOL-REPUBLIC-Tracks-Headphones-Black/dp/B005OLOIUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471334124&sr=8-1&keywords=sol republic hd v10
innerfidelity.com/content/marshall-major-heaphone-zound-industries
forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/i-3-my-mdr-7506s.7872/#post-46352
youtube.com/watch?v=jv2inWs8tU4
youtube.com/watch?v=5yBvP3616Wc
youtube.com/watch?v=I1-CuIf2yLU
youtube.com/watch?v=TpyC73RcBSg
strawpoll.me/11004230
audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-20k.php
audiocheck.net/audiofrequencysignalgenerator_sinetone.php
amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-GameCom-788-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00LNJZTTY
amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD668B-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a pair of Hifiman HE-400s with the original mini smc connectors that suck dick. Should I try to solder in 2.5mm jacks?

Reposting advice request

$170-200
Full size, closed over ears, comfy
For computer, home and sometimes in the airplane
Neutral or similar
I had a HD518 and I liked the removable cable

If you can pop your budget another $50 you should take a look at the VISO HP50. Otherwise maybe the DT770 which is more bassy than neutral.

What's the best headphones you can get for 100USD to play CSGO and media ? The sound and location on my current stuff is ass.

Check out the HD558.

Took a picture of my modded T50RP mk2 and I thought it turned out good.

Shit OP are frowned upon.

Repostin bc ded thred

>Budget
Nothing over 100
>Location
US
>Source
Computer
>Preferred type of headphone
Full ear, full size
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
comfy, don't need to be insanely comfortable
>Preferred tonal balance
n/a second pair of headphones, not sure what to list
>Past headphones
Logitech G930, sick of them and want to make the first headphone purchase that's worth the money

Don't let us hold you back from leaving the thread.

I upgraded to these and now listening to repetitive music is very tiring. Feels bad man, repetitive music is the best music.

XPT100.

Try reducing the 5-10khz area and see what happens.

I just bought those monoprice 8323 headphones but a review I read on Head-Fi says the cable that it comes with has poor audio quality and recommended replacing it with some other cable.

Is this typical head-fi nonsense or a real issue?
If the latter what 3.5mm cables are recommended?

Just got these... am I dumb?

I won't, disliking the OP doesn't mean I dislike the thread. At this point you're just asking to be shitted on by leaving this in the OP.

I'd have went full meme and got the Mio headphones, but those seem a solid pick. Where did you get them and for how much?

Why is wireless frowned upon?

Maybe cables do affect sound, maybe they don't. But even if they do are you at all likely to hear the difference on $20 headphones? You aren't likely to hear the difference between using the initial cables or wired coat hangers.

Maybe.

Because for several threads now we have had one jackass trying to pick a fight anytime wireless headphones are mentioned.

Take the time to read the previous few threads.

I would've got those if they didn't have those dumb bumps...Massdrop, ~200

Previous thread didn't have anything against wireless though?

Then why even bring it up in the op?
Is op is trying to provoke a fight?

>wireless is frowned upon
>headset requests are frowned upon
>having an opinion is frowned upon

Take the time to read the previous thread yourself?

>Then why even bring it up in the op?
This has bee discussed in past threads. Use the archives if you sincerely want to understand. Basically, it is a warning to not be surprised if no one answers at best or as is more typical on Sup Forums treats you like a jackass for asking.

If ask any further questions it seems reasonable to conclude you are the jackass trying to pick a fight.

Previous _few_ threads.

Are m50x suitable for electronic music?

Fuck off if not going through a bunch of there that have gone past bump limit just to see what the fuck is wrong with op

Sure, mayne.

First time here!

>Budget
Around $100 NZD
>Location
New Zealand, Buying from here. Local website for prices pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=v2027
>Source
Computer mostly, maybe phone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Preferabbly comfy but open to all suggestions
>Preferred tonal balance
N/a
>Past headphones
N/a

Wanted to go with a headset for the pc but its strongly advised, also open to a mic! Thanks

Then let's have a repeat of those previous few threads when the posters involved arrive.

Or op could step in and explain why the op has retarded shit in it?
What about headset requests? Why are these frowned upon?

>What about headset requests?
Similar reasons but going back much farther. Spawned images such as you see in the wiki given how many threads it driveled in.

Personally, I'm surprised wireless didn't explode with similar shit months ago when it was first added. We only had the odd post back then which demonstrated the benefits of putting it in the OP and only recently cemented its existence.

What equalizer software should I get?
Realtek doesn't work on my laptop (the sound effects tab is always missing) so I am finding alternatives.

What is the view of the SHP9500s here? I see them constantly raved about on leddit and other dwellings, but rarely see them mentioned here.

Did you check the wiki?

Oops sorry, I only read the pastebin.

I know wireless is frowned upon but, i recently had the jaybird bluebuds x. Are the x2's worth getting.

What is the view on buying a tube amp? I see them constantly memed by my friend saying HD600s and DT880s MUST HAVE THEM. Like wtf? Why can't you just buy a normal amp and then add distortion yourself right? Or at least EQ. Am I correct?

>What is the view on buying a tube amp?
Pretty much eclipsed by solid-state amps. The only benefit is tube rolling.

desu the bm800 should be mentioned in the mic section of the wiki

its well documented on /csg/

So you're saying people shit up the thread with wireless headphones before that was in the op?
Seems a little silly to exclude wireless headphones because you don't like how it connects?

Is everyone that buys amps and stuff actual musicians or professionals? I dont see the point in buying stuff like that over a proper sound system with speakers and such for casual listening, that is unless you're a NEET or child who lives with their parents.

Fuck off jackass. Your poor reading comprehension is similar to the bullshit he would post.

>I dont see the point in buying stuff like that over a proper sound system with speakers
Not everyone has the space (or arguably properly treated rooms) for a "proper sound system" nor thick enough walls to not annoy neighbors. Nor can you take a "proper sound system" with you on an airplane, bus, etc.

If you want to talk about speakers I suggest you make your own thread.

>What is the view on buying a tube amp?
Literally paying for distortion.

>I see them constantly memed by my friend saying HD600s and DT880s MUST HAVE THEM. Like wtf?
Muh warmth.

>Why can't you just buy a normal amp and then add distortion yourself right? Or at least EQ. Am I correct?
Yeah. Everyone I see that tube rolls is just wasting money on experimenting and using them like a single preset EQ.

Also the fact that they have to heat up before "reaching its full potential".

Not him but I have witnessed the threads.

It consists mostly of one user completely disregarding wireless and while aknowledging those have avantages (like convenience) they must be disregarded completely as they can't objectively have a better sound than wired.
It ends up with a lot of shit with another user that disagree with him.
For instance, last OP wasn't nearly being as much shitted on and wasn't including the controversial "Wireless is frowned upon".

>Location
USA. Soon to be TrumpLand.

>Source
Home PC. For music, videos, but mostly gaming. Sometimes gaming with background music

Full Sized

>Open or closed
Closed

>Comfort level
Pretty comfortable for long periods. Willing to buy comfort pads if sugested headphones' sound quality is speacial

>Preferred tonal balance
Don't matter. As long as sound is clear and good all-around

>Past headphones
Fatal1ty (gaming, PC use)
amazon.com/Creative-Labs-HS800-Fatal1ty-Headset/dp/B002DS4HTM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1471333710&sr=1-1&keywords=fatal1ty

SOL REPUBLIC Tracks HD On-Ear Headphones (Outside use. they're good IMO)
amazon.com/SOL-REPUBLIC-Tracks-Headphones-Black/dp/B005OLOIUI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471334124&sr=8-1&keywords=sol republic hd v10

oops budget didnt paste. im stupid

>Budget
20 to 50. Preferbably somewhere in between

>last OP wasn't nearly being as much shitted on and wasn't including the controversial "Wireless is frowned upon".
Yet the thread still degenerated into shit because the jackass would pick a fight. Not once but twice. Once for claiming "he had more experience than audiophiles because his experience is 'true' experience." At least with the warning in the OP the innocent get forewarning before they get treated like a jackass.

Bluetooth headphones sound terrible. Why pay $50-$300 for the audio quality of a $10 headset? Even if bluetooth 5.0 really quadruples everything it will still be shit because its going from 2.5/100 to 10/100

Oh, and I question your judgment (suspect you are the jackass making shit up as usual) considering how he was shitted on for making a thread before the bump limit and criticizing audiophiles in the OP of a HEADPHONE GENERAL. He got shit on for the OP just for different things in the OP.

forgot to mention. having a mic for chatting would be a great addition. i do own a AUVIO attachable mic in case the suggested head phones dont have a mic

So yeah, I was thinking about these Marshalls for a friend, since Marshall is kinda status symbol among guitarists, and I didn't hear any obvious defects on a fast listening.

They' look pretty comfortable, and sound like they'd be great for rock and blues, which he listens to a lot.

Is it just the branding, or are they any good for 99€?

Thx for the replies. Guess im going with the DT770s

If Tyll Hertsens says they suck then they suck. Google Tyll Hertsens + Major Marshalls and read his review.

innerfidelity.com/content/marshall-major-heaphone-zound-industries
>but for me they weren’t listenable with music … especially for the intended genre of rock ‘n roll

>Is it just the branding, or are they any good for 99€?
I think they are the same make and model I recently auditioned at Costco of all places. They were thin and weak and I wondered if they were underamped in the endcap demo setup. On the plus side they were comfortable (I expect they would be fine for long sessions but not definitive in a fifteen minute test drive) and provided a decent amount of isolation. But given the price and the dull sound quality I couldn't recommend them.

Eternal gratitude.

Tyll also has the HE1000 on his WoF and believes in kilobuck cables making a difference.
He is only good for his measurements.

Hey guys, what's your opinion on beats?

I own the first gen and I can't use them for longer than 5 minutes before it starts to hurt. Longer than that and my ears start to look like stoplights and my head feels like its going to break.

>Is everyone that buys amps and stuff actual musicians or professionals?
Is everyone who buys a nice monitor a professional artist or video editor? No and one doesn't need to be.

>I dont see the point in buying stuff like that over a proper sound system with speakers and such for casual listening
A lot of people do. Clearly you aren't in a market for one.

Amplifier is a necessity for any loudspeaker or headphone to create sound. Many electronics have a small one integrated which works fine on most headphones. Not all headphones and amplifiers are made equal so the need for a more powerful discrete amp could arise, depending on your setup.

Hey guys, what's your opinion on wireless headsets?

Which is best of out these 3?

>Logitech G933
>Senn HD598/SE
>Senn HD558

HD558.

>Budget
$100, but somewhat flexible
>Location
EU
>Source
Smartphone (mostly music, and youtube)
IEMs
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
comfy, but not that important
>Preferred tonal balance
balanced or v-shaped
>Past headphones
Currently I have a CX-300, which I hate for being that bassy. Had Soundmagic E10 before that, which i liked, but it has broken.

Looking for a bit more expensive pair of IEMs with decent noise isolation.

That review is for the first model, they say the Major II have cleared up some of the problems.

Anyone has thoughts of the Major II? I'm fine with "acceptable" here, it's just a birthday present for a non audiophile.

I've got a pair of these and I have zero regrets.

Sennheisers, all of them are basically identical headphones sound wise. Go by looks and pricing.

You don't have to be an audiophile to appreciate gear.

For the same price you can get HM5 or XPT100, which is well received and also more comfortable due to the fact that it's not an on ear.

I got to listen to them a while back when shopping for headphones, and they're not great. They sound kind of... Cheap and empty, I think is the best way to describe them.
I'd recommend Beyerdynamic Custom Street over those any day.

Get out

Something bothering you?

He's upset they're not wireless

I'm more upset they're not thicc

>tfw listening to Billie Jean for the first time with studio headphones

Also at what point do I notice the difference between these cans' normal signature and these correctional EQ figures I found on a forum?

>billie jean
Horrible treble emphasis in a lot of stuff that era, that one included.

>Also at what point do I notice the difference between these cans' normal signature and these correctional EQ figures I found on a forum?
Not sure I follow. Immediately if you switch between them. Frequency response shift past a certain magnitude is very much audible. If the EQ profile is activated and the EQ isn't some +-1 dB tinkering, the difference is often significant.

Specifically this, adapted from forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/i-3-my-mdr-7506s.7872/#post-46352
I hear it now. The difference in tones between John Coltrane and Cannonball Adderley's saxophones is in full display.

>Horrible treble emphasis in a lot of stuff that era, that one included.
I did notice a sort of vacuum between the bass and the rest of the instruments. That was on purpose? I mean the rest of the production makes up for it, but now that you mention it it seems odd.

Reposting from old thread
Ive done some research and learned more specifics as to what I'd want.

>Budget
265 AUD
Can only use paypal/cash so no amazon for me.

>Location
Australia, Victoria

>Source
Sony Xperia Z3
Old Plantronics RIG dac/mixer thingo for PC use, though probably gonna ask my father if I can jew an dac/amp of his, if the headphones I get would be improved with one.

if not ill see if there is anything interesting on /CSG/

Over ear. I have quite large ears, and its so fucking annoying not having headphones that are too small, or end up crushing the top of my ears.

>Open or closed
Open

>Comfort level
Very important, needs to be comfortable. I spend most of my free time listening to something.
Can't deal with leather padding, or essentially anything that isn't velour/other similar breathable material. I live in australia, so shit gets sweaty as fuark. Absolutely can't have those stupid flappy winglet head 'band' things that audio technica tends to do.

>Preferred tonal balance
Slightly toned down highs, as they fatigue me easily, slightly warm bass

>Past headphones
Plantronics RIG """"""xdddd gamur""""""" headset that i got for free
Superlux 668B [Currently satisfied with the sound quality, but the comfort and build quality is abysmal. Too small for my head, and its got those gay aforementioned winglets. Even with velour pads, I'd still be uncomfortable]
And various ~14 dollar chink of IEMs such as KZ ATE and some great phillips ones which I still use today.

Currently looking at 598s as they're right at the top of my budget and fulfill a large portion of what I'm asking other than slightly less than satisfactory bass levels.

Though AKG headphones look quite comfortable, I haven't seen any with the the right sound signature I want, though I might just be a blind cunt.

All other options seem to be either too small for my ears, have leather padding, or dont have the right bass, or some other shit

Ty if anyone can help

Other post was too long so:

>Here is some of shit similar to what I listen to:
youtube.com/watch?v=jv2inWs8tU4
youtube.com/watch?v=5yBvP3616Wc
youtube.com/watch?v=I1-CuIf2yLU
youtube.com/watch?v=TpyC73RcBSg

Look in Gumtree, eBay, Forums for used Sennheiser HD600's.

I'd recommend you AKG K702's but everyone will fucking have a go at me. K702's need amps tho.

>F= 205 Hz
>Q= 5
>G= +5.0 dB

What is he doing, particularly with that that Q around 200 Hz.

You can't copy those settings without a parametric equalizer. Assuming you are on Linux, I don't have a program to recommend for PEQ. For Windows EQ APO is great.

EQ changes the amplitude of band of frequencies. F is the frequency being altered, Q is the width of the filter applied and G is the amplitude. It should be noted that these are all settings for peaking filters but there are other types in use too, some of which do have uses in audio equalization(shelving).

The multi-band EQ you are using is locked in filter type, filter width and frequecy which is why you copying the settings from that site doesn't really yield the same effect. It's also worth noting that response of the ear is quite individual past 6 KHz so copying anything above that without tuning the filters yourself isn't recommended.

Hey fuckers here's a strawpoll
strawpoll.me/11004230

Gumtree and Ebay came up with nothing. Don't know any forums either. Anything I googled seemed to be dead, or unrelated.
Can I ask why the K702's would give you flak?
I can get an amp easy so that's not an issue.

Right, this is a graphical EQ and a parametric EQ is a different machine entirely, so I've read. So where do I learn which EQ settings are responsible for what kind of sound? Surely I'll learn these things when I major in audio engineering at community college.

xth for hd650 a best price:performance

>Budget
100-150€ flexible
>Location
Germany
>Source
PC, mainly phone
in ear, bluetooth
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
reasonable, not that picky
>Preferred tonal balance
warm
>Past headphones
shure 215

They're V-shaped so they're more fun/suited for electronic but I've heard as you crank the volume up, the V gets steeper and the pads are decent at best.

>They're V-shaped
Wait, people are paying $150 a pop for V-shaped headphones? Ha that's fantastic.

>They're V-shaped
I don't know why people say this. I listened to a pair to see what they were about and there was no harshness in the treble at all and just bassy. Tyll's measurements also indicate this with the treble generally sloping down.

Whatever sound fits their needs/music.

Probably thinking the M50 which has a 10k peak not present in the x.

>why the K702's would give me flak?
Because I have both K702 and HD600. The HD600's are what you're after. K702 is a sidegrade that sounds different. HD600 is the reference for most /hpg/ regulars. If you don't own a HD600 nor have heard what it sounds like. Then you don't know what neutral headphones are.

I think you won't appreciate a K702 at all if you went K702 and then HD600 next.

>Budget
$150, $200 hard limit
>Location
USA
>Source
FiiO K1
Over ear
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Doesn't matter if I can swap the pads
>Preferred tonal balance
Bassy/U-Shaped
>Past headphones
Superlux HD 681
JVC HAFX40 IEM
VE Monk+ IEM
Samson SR950

I listen to EDM and play CSGO. I'm on the fence on Fidelio X1/X2's and Fostex T20RP MK3's but I'm not sure if my K1 can drive them well enough.

Alright, thanks for the info.

I'll probably just go for the 598's, seeing as it's unlikely that I'll upgrade for quite a while, since Im currently in the middle of tafe.

Start by asking a sensible question. Placebo is not related to price and I doubt it's placebo what you mean here in the first place.

You can do a lot more and much more effectively with a parametric equalizer than on any other type of EQ used. You are free to create as many filters as you like of any type, it's a powerful and precise tool.

>So where do I learn which EQ settings are responsible for what kind of sound?
Experience really, understanding the basics of hearing and how a certain frequency sounds. If you play around with a working equalizer which applies the filters in real time, you'll immediately notice how adjusting amplitude and width of a filter alters the sound. For equalizing, it's best to listen to noise and sine sweep tones to get an understanding of the response of your headphones.

audiocheck.net/testtones_sinesweep20-20k.php
audiocheck.net/audiofrequencysignalgenerator_sinetone.php

A logarithmic sine sweep through the audible band of frequencies is what you need. Note the part:

>When checking by ear, the sound should evolve smoothly from the lowest frequency to the highest. No strong frequency dips or peaks should be present.

If you hear strong dips or peaks in the amplitude during the sweep, you counter those with a parametric equalizer and repeat the process of listening and correcting. There's a guide in the wiki.

Harman made "how to listen" -program which trains your hearing if that's what you are interested. It's not needed for equalizing though but can help you identify coloration by ear after some training.

Which headphones are better for listening to music + gaming?
Both are the same price where I live.

amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-GameCom-788-Gaming-Headset/dp/B00LNJZTTY

OR these

amazon.co.uk/Superlux-HD668B-Headphones/dp/B003JOETX8/