Here comes probably everybody most favorite rage-inducing question:

Here comes probably everybody most favorite rage-inducing question:

What's a good gaming laptop brand?

Now, in my defense I'm not actually gaming on it. But rather we are recording and streaming race cars and I need something beefy to run x-split and render videos for youtube and it's just not possible for me use a standad PC from our pits, I need something to haul over to the bleachers during the races in order for our cameras to retain a signal.

Other urls found in this thread:

extremetech.com/extreme/128207-1gbps-wireless-network-made-with-red-and-green-laser-pointers
digitalairwireless.com/outdoor-wireless-networks/point-to-point-wireless/laser-fso-links/geodesy-fso-laser-links.html
ebay.de/itm/HP-EliteBook-2540p-Core-i7-L640-2-13GHz-4GB-160GB-SSD-DVD-RW-Cam-WIN7-FR-/361637764185
koruza.net/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Assuming similar hardware, whichevr looks the least retarded

Have you considered buying a professional laptop with Thunderbolt 3, and then if you need a GPU, to just plug an external one in?
You'll get PCI-e 3.0 x4 speeds. Which is to say more than you actually need.

any laptop with an appropriate minipciex slot to do a gpu passthrough with the best graphic card that wont be bottlenecked by your system

Gay.
You'll get PCI-e 2.0 1x speeds this way.
Which is to say, fucking gimped.

Also, doing eGPUs from anything other than Thunderbolt or a proprietary connection like Alienware or MSI is unsupported by Nvidia (the only manufacturer that bothers with eGPUs)

Thunderbolt or proprietary is plug and play. You won't have time to fuck with chaining bootloaders and compressing PCI during the races.

Too bulky and requires me to be near a power outlet.

This has to sit on my lap while I'm on the bleachers and in case anything happens, I have to close it and lug it with me as I run back to the pits for maintenance.

>they all look retarded

I don't know how these races are laid out. Is it possible to run a wire from the pits to the bleachers or are you relying on wireless?
You could thin client if you ran a wire.

>putting a laptop on your lap
retards like you are why they had to rename it to notebook

they need a flat surface especially one like that

Entirely wireless

non-gay solution
extremetech.com/extreme/128207-1gbps-wireless-network-made-with-red-and-green-laser-pointers
digitalairwireless.com/outdoor-wireless-networks/point-to-point-wireless/laser-fso-links/geodesy-fso-laser-links.html

gay solution:
the most subdued looking gaming laptop is made by Razer.
Put a big vinyl sticker featuring your logo over their shitty glowing one.

Acer has competetively priced hardware in their laptop models, but the construction might be a hit or miss on some models

Lenovo has a balance between good specs and build quality, though the price is a tiny bit higher than acer ones

HP is generally crap

Dell's have some interesting options, but they are generally much more expensive

MSI is a ripoff

That's my experience

Why?

By the way, what I mean by thin clienting is that you would simply use a cheapo laptop to provide access to the cameras and then tunnel the feed to your beefy PC in the pit.
Of course, laser communications may completely nullify the need for a laptop in the first place.

I'm a "pro gamer" sponsored by MSI, but if it wasn't for the money I wouldn't touch their laptops. All I tot to say

High performance laptops like gaming laptops generate a lot of heat. So much infact, that you'll probably find it uncomfortable to keep it in your lap if you're doing anything computationally intensive on it. They really aren't designed to be used while sitting in your lap for any extended period of time, hence why "laptop" is a bad choice of word to describe the form factor.

I'm looking for a cheap ass Laptop. Don't want to spend more than 300€. Should be able to have a good speed while lurking with Linux and using Linux VMs and stuff, but no gaming. (I hate slow computer.) Possible?

I can place it on one of those cooling trays probably

But having a low performance laptop (ThinkPad in my case)on your lap is no problem, I guess? Thanks for your reply btw.

5-6 year old used laptop or gtfo.

Go to Sup Forumstpg/

ebay.de/itm/HP-EliteBook-2540p-Core-i7-L640-2-13GHz-4GB-160GB-SSD-DVD-RW-Cam-WIN7-FR-/361637764185

Thoughts?

To me this sounds more like you need a laptop with a nice quadcore CPU than a gayming laptop.

Depending on your budget, check out Thinkpad P50, P70, or T460p.
Alternatively if you want something cheaper, look into used W-series, W520 and newer have CPUs that are more than capable of handling a stream assuming it's the only demanding thing you're doing.

Go to Sup Forumstpg/

This is not the right thread. Also, I recommend a Lenovo T420s.

better non-gay solution
koruza.net/index.html
it isn't cheep, but the system costs about as much as a gaming laptop if you were to construct it from parts.
Plus you'd have a badass wireless laser communication system that gives no shits about running while a million people have their phones out.

>koruza.net/index.html
thanks but something like this just isnt practical for our stuff.

dont listen to this loser please

>new = better
kill yourself

wait for the new 10 series nvidia laptops

get with the times, virgin

>spend more on new tech instead of reusing old tech that functions almost as well for half the cost
not my fault you have more money than sense

as people have already pointed out, get yourself something with an i7-2000 or 3000 series
especially if you don't game, they're more than fine
and preferably with an SSD of course

Asus ROG or Alienware is your choice, buddy.