IO Ports

Why do the latest video cards have more DisplayPort IO's than HDMI? Is this the new standard now for PC video?

If it's so good why do I never see DisplayPort on anything but PC's and laptops? Everywhere else it's HDMI.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
forums.anandtech.com/threads/cheap-av-receiver-with-gigabit-ethernet-question-about-ethernet-over-hdmi-hec.2305973/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Is this the new standard now for PC video?
Yes.
If you've bought a monitor is the last few years that isn't complete garbage, it would have Display port on it.
>Everywhere else it's HDMI
So, TVs and shit which plugs into a TV?

DP is just objectively better than HDMI. It also has shit like multi-stream transport (daisy chaining and DP hubs), and supports audio like HDMI does. Also, thinks like Freesync only work over DP.

DP+ can do HDMI with a passive adapter

Aren't the licensing costs less (free?) for DP compared to HDMI?

Yes, it's a small fee for each dp on a device, whilst HDMI requires a 10k+ licence fee plus port fee for use.

The only positive HDMI has over DP is it's rated for 10metres whilst DP is only to 3metres. Maybe MHL as well, but I've not used that yet. But eventually freesync will be on HDMI, don't know is gsync will follow suit.

HDMI has been legacy for a while, friendo

HDMI is an A/V interface that replaced the S-Video, composite and compotent cabling that used to be on some video cards.

Displayport is a computer video interface that is replacing DVI/VGA ports on your card.

> DP - HDMI - DP - DP

Just why?

Does DP support ethernet as well like HDMI? I've yet to get a monitor with a DP so it's HDMI or earlier only here.

Yea, it makes you want to throat punch whomever made that decision.

Lots of DP is fine, but I'm annoyed that the GPUs quit including the analog pins on DVI a year or two ago.

Saving a few pennies on a RAMDAC is such a fucking jew move.

DP is the standard for monitors. If you look around offices with multimonitor setups it's almost always mini-DP or DP.
HDMI is more the TV standard.

>whilst
Can you guys just please fucking accept that this word is dead?

this is true, im contracted at a company and we are deploying over 1000 new thinkpads, replacing everything at their desk when we do. Its all display port

>my chink 1440p panel is DVI-D dual link
>tfw can't OC monitor because DVI-D can't support more than 60hz
kill me now

wat?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
digital dual link goes 120+

hdmi is for morons who think that plugging 3 cables is difficult.

nm, i see my mistake. you still get 60fps though, are you on a monitor that does more?

>Does DP support ethernet as well like HDMI
No and I can't see a reason why it should. It's just for computer displays. Whereas HDMI is for multimedia devices.

HDMI is nice for what it is.

Component cables are clunky and don't support 1080p60 or audio.
I still wish more TVs supported DP, but that's another matter entirely.

the monitor itself is 60hz, but it can overclock (most Korean panels can)

but I believe I'm hitting a data limit as once I exceed 65Hz, the monitor just goes black

dvi-d can do 144hz on 1080p monitors... dunno about 1440p, but 1440p is a little less than twice the pixels of 1080p, so you should be able to do a little more than half of 144hz, which i estimate to be 80-90hz

hmm, interesting

I don't have the monitor with me, but I'll give that a try

good idea, thanks

What in the fuck actually uses ethernet over HDMI? I have yet to see a single device.
I honestly wish it was actually supported, every HDMI device connected to my receiver also has a wired ethernet connection.

>I still wish more TVs supported DP
It wouldn't make sense. The constraints of cable length would be a big issue. DP is geared for computers which rarely have their displays further than 6 feet away.

DP also doesn't require a license to use. The merchant wouldn't want to introduce a competing standard and possibly have to give this up.

Who still VGA here?

make sure your devices are hdmi 1.6 or above

Virtually all 4k TVs have panels and scalers that do 120Hz with no way of getting 120 fps content inside.

It would just be nice if you could hook up your gaming PC over DP 1.3 and get 120 fps on a big screen, which just isn't possible over HDMI 2.0 even if all the guts of the display can deal with it internally.

>Who still VGA here?
Sorry still dvi

Thanks for asking this question, been wondering myself.

the only shit ive seen with DisplayPort is apple crap. anything meant for #PCMASTERRACE is HDMI/DVI

>What in the fuck actually uses ethernet over HDMI
Mostly disc players and set-top boxes. I believe the PS4 supports this too. Speed is capped at 100Mbps

It's a way to make a card seem like it has more shit and the ports are easy to throw on there.
In reality, all that's really needed is a bit of variety, one DisplayPort, one hdmi, and one DVI
Having all these DisplayPort outputs just appeals to gamerfags who dream of multiple 4K monitors their card can't handle.

it's literally just a security flaw. it was made to allow boxes to interact, as you said, but that means if someone gets in your router they can get into any part of your home theater

>Speed is capped at 100Mbps
Thats fast enough for most things, even streaming 4k h264 or h265 video

you didn't look far

>HDMI is an A/V interface that replaced the S-Video, composite and compotent cabling that used to be on some video cards.

This is not correct, HDMI replaces SCART, which is bidirectional composite + bidirectional audio + RGB.

You're either stupid or too poor to buy a decent monitor. Hell you can get shit-teir monitors with DP now.

>spot the apple fags

>Mostly disc players and set-top boxes. I believe the PS4 supports this too. Speed is capped at 100Mbps
Any source on this? Can't find anything conclusive on the PS4, and of course the device it's connected to would need to support it as well.
Seems I'm not the only one:
forums.anandtech.com/threads/cheap-av-receiver-with-gigabit-ethernet-question-about-ethernet-over-hdmi-hec.2305973/

Where do you get the idea displayport, with its higher bandwidth, is some Apple fag conspiracy?

>"higher bandwidth"
>DP

pick one, fruit'tard.

ps: DVI is what your after.

DVI (Dual link) 7.92 Gbit/s
DP (HBR3) 25.92 Gbit/s

hdmi is garbage u dumb fucking cunt

how fucking retarded are you?
get the fuck out of here u cunt

hdmi is for cunts

you switched the numbers around . good job, your not just direct copypasta

try dieing in a fire

youre either a bad troll or a moron
either way youre a cunt

>look mum im being edgy. im posting on teh fourchines

>look everyone im being a cunt

> look everyone im 12 and just learned this new word "cunt" so im going to keep using it

DisplayPort has the highest bandwidth and it's royalty-free
Pretty much the best video transmission port apart from shitty Windows drivers

Dude if someone gets into your router you're already fucked.

Please never talk about security again, thanks.

>Is this the new standard now for PC video?
>If it's so good why do I never see DisplayPort on anything but PC's and laptops

Gee, I wonder why OP.

hdmi=bad=you=cunt

>Also, thinks like Freesync only work over DP.

Oh, fuck me.

I have two 1280x1024 displays, both VGA. One of them connected to DVI and one to HDMI since my GPU doesn't have even a single VGA (and it's not that new).

Go on PCPartPicker, go to monitors, and filter for DisplayPort interface.

There are hundreds of monitors with DP.

For a long time it did only work on DP.

Only HDMI shills care about Freesync over HDMI.

>getting triggered over a word

Are you having a bad day user ?

Because HMDI was deprecated in 2013

>If it's so good why do I never see DisplayPort on anything but PC's and laptops? Everywhere else it's HDMI.

Everything post 2014 is DP. Everything pre-2012 is DVI.
HDMI is a dead standard, as in dead on arrival. It doesn't support gsync/freesync, 4k or 144hz.

HDMI is only acceptable for bluray players, but nothing else.