Enroll in a CompSCI course

>Enroll in a CompSCI course
>Hyped about learning to program
>Thinking about all the stuff I'll be able to make
>Can fit in on Sup Forums too
>Get to class
>Lecture materials are made up almost completely of highly advanced mathematics I've never seen in my life

I've been fucking duped. I seriously thought I was in the wrong class. What the fuck is going on here?

You have to pass middle school algebra first.

>What the fuck is going on here?
A Liberal Arts major is born.

> not looking into what your study is like before starting

>he thinks it's koding with klossy

>highly advanced mathematics I've never seen in my life
>bitching about having to learn new shit

>highly advanced mathematics
What, algebra?
Are you scared because somebody used sigma somewhere?

>comp sci
>high level mathematics

Pick one.

>highly advanced mathematics
You're either a retard that failed precalculus or you've gotten yourself into MIT, you MIT nigger.

Algorithms was probably the most mathematically involved class in my program, not including Calc3. Even then, it wasn't hard stuff.

>this really happened

Can you describe what this highly advanced math looked like?

Listen fuckheads, I know algebra. I'm talking about symbols I've never even seen before.

probably this. cs 101 is already laughable, i guess because of people like OP who can't even count

>complaining that they're teaching cs in a cs course

Let me guess: they were some greek letters?

Like for example what the fuck is this rounded d?

Yes tons of them

Not MIT but similar level.

Do you mean δ? (lower-case delta)

You didnt post it but it's orobably lowercase delta which is likely to denote a derivative. If you don't already know calculus highschool failed you dude.

I'm fucked

Time to read that famous CompSCI math book. I'll probably be better off becsuse of it in all aspects of life anyway.

good luck OP. It's not so bad.

So what class are you talking about?

>inb4 some AI class
My school has insane shit going on in the AI classes. Took one look at the whiteboard after an AI class was dismissed, I'm glad that's not my concentration.

>Yes tons of them
There is no need to get hung up on that shit. They're just symbols.
There is usually some meaning attached to them, but that depends on what you're doing, and they would teach you that shit.

you may even start to enjoy it. I know that I wasn't incredibly interested until I took a db algorithm design course. ended up doing my masters at UWaterloo in it.

Machine learning was the one that blew me the fuck out the most

Why would we need derivatives in computer science?

asymptotic bounds. you may use l'hopital to prove that one bound is strictly bigger than another. that's probably what was on the board if it was an intro to algo course.

>that famous CompSCI math book
Which one?

Lad those symbols hardly mean much. They just mean things like derivative, sum, probability etc. They're just shorthandl
Shouldn't you be taking calc1 as well?

Chebyshev polynomials for one, approximating 2/3d curves like bezier/cardinal spline, newton iterations, list goes on. It's not all linear algebra or discrete.

>computer science
>computer
>a device that quickly solves mathematical problems
>science
>study of structure and behaviour through observation and experiment.
subject name literally means the study of devices which exclusively exist to do math

I can see how you'd think it wouldn't have any math in it though.

Probably Concrete Mathematics

OP was obviously trolling but there are probably noobs or young people thinking of going into CS and this thread will most likely answer their questions

The only thing you need to do to fit in here is be a fucking low life

>highly advanced.

Turns out it's babies first big O excersize. Lol.

Seriously? It's just a tool you CAN use derivatives for many things. Cmon. Real computer science is more math than programming. Theory major reporting in.

Responded to wrong post dude?

Why would we need Chebyshev polynomials?

My man, since you're clearly rocking that double digit IQ I strongly recommend dropping all of those scary math classes. STEM in general really. I hear business majors are doing well.

its probably calculus 1

new students are afraid of all new ascii characters instead of numbers

Computer Science is pretty much specialized Math. What you're probably looking for is something like software engineering.

>Sup Forums - Technology