One reason to use linux over windows?

Okay, it's not a bait or anything, I just got myself a ThinkPad, t540p to be exact.

I decided to give linux another try as I've go Win10 on my main device.

Download antergos iso, quick, simple installation, brilliant !

>>trackpoint scrolling doesnt work
sure no problem i bet there is an easy fix for that

I spent 2 hours looking for fix, installing different guis, configuring files myself, xorg, dconf all that sort of shit, nothing helped.

Another thing - I've got athm50x's and KRK Rokit 6 plugged to my soundcard. Soundcard doesn't work with linux, no drivers, alsa is pincking it up but can't give output, there is no fix.

More ? Auto login didn't work, I had to type my password in every single time, I tried options, again configuring system files and nothing.

Yes, I know it's open source and I won't get all the drivers and yes, I managed to get most of the shit working.

HOWEVER, I see no benefit of using linux over windows if you actually want to DO SHIT.

yaourt -S brackets took 5-7 minutes to install everything. Really ?

I mean, if you want to actually do your work and be productive I just can't understand how linux wins and everyone on this board supports it so much. I don't want to start a shitstorm, just looking for a genuine, valid point, not stuff like muh privacy and open source is good and google is evil.

Sorry for long post, all discussion very welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrackPoint#Middle_button_scroll
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/automatic_login_to_virtual_console
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
bedrocklinux.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's all sour grapes.

>Windows is a bitch when it comes to privacy
>Only choice for the poorfags of Sup Forums is to install an Open Sores OS
>Th-th-this ain't so bad, haha! Dumb pooinloos! So what if my operating system requires an immense of work to achieve the ease of use and compatibility of Windows, at least I can poo in le loo xD!

If you want privacy, you can't have internet. that's pretty much it. If you want your fancy google maps your traffic updates on the way to work and all this shit tracking is necessary.

There is more obviously, this is just an example.

Did same thing other night OP

Alsow ith antergos. installation went smoothly.then I was like why should I bother. so deleted partition and then windows or laptop wouldn't boot. and thank God windows 10 repair
fixed MBR because I did not want to reinstall Windows.

I like Linux but I just don't have any true purpose for it these days

I agree with you, the majority of Sup Forums needs to grow up and realize that there's no massive government conspiracy to raid their hentai stash or whatever.

It's less convoluted for programming due to the inherent design goals in its original creation, and that's about it. It's shit for everything else for desktop use.

Anyone who actually has a job in anything else runs Windows and even if they're a programmer, they'll likely run Linux in a prepackaged VM provided by the company, or just install a simple SSH client login to a mainframe so they can get their work done instead of being paid $40/hr to fuck around trying to fix wifi drivers, non functioning scroll wheel, login problems, etc.

>I spent 2 hours looking for fix, installing different guis, configuring files myself, xorg, dconf all that sort of shit, nothing helped.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/TrackPoint#Middle_button_scroll
>Soundcard doesn't work with linux, no drivers, alsa is pincking it up but can't give output, there is no fix.
alsamixer > unmute the device
>More ? Auto login didn't work, I had to type my password in every single time, I tried options, again configuring system files and nothing.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/automatic_login_to_virtual_console
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
>yaourt -S brackets took 5-7 minutes to install everything. Really ?
yaourt -S brackets-bin

>One reason to use linux over windows?
It works for me. That's why I'm using it.

This is why "year of le linux desktop xD" is never gonna happen. Self absorbed assholes like yourself that treat everyone like morons.

Go kys.

I'm not treating anyone like anything though?

>using antermeme
No reason for a beginner to do that. Ubuntu and Linux Mint are for this very reason. Also, yaourt installs from source. Arch repos are pretty constrained. There are unofficial repos that will give you a larger numbers of binary packages.

Yet another 'I actually tried Linux and it sucks' thread.
And yet again all the points you are complaining about are solved in 5 minutes if you would bother to RTFM or at least work on your startpage-skills.

Kys
y
s

Alright.

thx baby

now install osx

>RTFM
heheh rtfm xDD

>Samefagging this hard
Pajeet on steroids (a̸̡͘͠͝n̸̢̨̛͝d̶́͠ ͠ļ̴̷̢̛a̷̴̶x̷̴͞҉͠a̡͘͢͞t͢͢͟҉i̧͜͝͡͝v̢͟è̶̢͘s̸̡).

I use Arch linux mainly because Windows lags too much on my crappy old PC.
Free alternatives of some programs SUCK (GIMP, Darktable), but generally it just works fine for my needs (some gaming, programming, web design, internet, movies).

Every distro works fine, but personally I'd avoid all Ubuntu derivates

Dumb frogposter.

>post screenshot
>reliable
(You)

>your word
>reliable
(kys)

>>Soundcard doesn't work with linux, no drivers, alsa is pincking it up but can't give output, there is no fix.
>alsamixer > unmute the device

yeah but do you remember the first time you had to find this out the hard way?

I love Linux, but then again I don't mind a little tinkering. Actually I've been using it since 1999 , but don't have a single computer running it right now. Shame really.

I think user was trying to tell you to use to the wiki more. I have to admit there's almosrt a step by step guide on the wiki for everything you want to configure, install, ... It requires you te be willing to learn a bit how the OS works. If want a system that just works use Windows or a for a UNIX based one OS X

Oh, great you gave me link to a couple pages that you'd have to spend hours on to actually read and uderstand.

And I actually tried most of these solutions, I wouldn't be moaning about it if I wouldn't make sure I really tried to make it work.

Anyway, Win10 is here, couldn't be happier.

Freedom.

Honestly I can change programs however I want. I'm programming though so maybe would feel like it's wasting time.

Why the fuck can't we just have a desktop worthy android?

>yeah but do you remember the first time you had to find this out the hard way?
Not really, no.

If you need hours to read and understand
>When using xf86-input-libinput, middle-button scrolling is enabled by default.
>Tip: On two button trackpoints, the scroll button can be set to right click button without removing functionality.

>When using xf86-input-evdev, middle-button scrolling is supported via xinput from the xorg-xinput package. For example:
then linux might not be for you.

>Anyway, Win10 is here, couldn't be happier.
That's great. Enjoy your operating system.

But Geocell uses our data to improve algorithms and kill Pakistan guys.

Your grandma who reads her mails and searches for weather forecast in Google did more for them (by sending few to zero data) than the average crypto guy who watches CCC conferences and encrypted their SSD.

Oh, I forgot about one more thing, why does linux have to be the only system that's so damn divided ?

I run OSX, I install apps for OSX.

I run Windows, I install apps for Windows.

I run Linux, I have to determine whether I need debian, arch or fucknows what sort of package to install it on my OS.

If people that create all these distros could unite and actually work together towards creating one great OS, it would be great, no doubt.

As for now it's good for servers or for people that actually have time to configure it for hours.

True, you have to invest a lot of time in learning the OS. But you can't claim it's difficult to do so. Does it cost of your time? Yep Is it hard? No.

>If people that create all these distros could unite and actually work together towards creating one great OS, it would be great, no doubt.
bedrocklinux.org/

But I already told you, I tried your solutions.

They didn't work.

The program is called configure-trackpoint.

Didn't even need google, searching a package manager was enough.

>hours googling
lol..

Can't help it then. If it doesn't work for you then you're either doing something wrong or it just simply doesn't work for you in which case you're better off using something else.

GNU/Linux is devided because not everybody wants the same things

>(You)
>>yeah but do you remember the first time you had to find this out the hard way?
>Not really, no.

Don't be dense. Imagine being a noob and installing your distro. You fire up your MC Hammer .mp3 and nothing happens. You then fuck with pulse audio until your hair falls out. Then you find out after grasping at straws that a setting in ALSA mixer is muted.....That kind of shit is just frustrating.

Recently I did a stint using linux as a DAW just to see if I could. Holy shit did that fight me every step of the way. Setting up a PCI sound card to work with JACK was fucking insane. I did manage to record a few songs, but none of the VST's I wanted to use worked. Welp back to Windows I guess.

I truly wish it were a different situation.

kek, true

A sane programming environment.
Sucks to be you though, every distro has always just werked for me OOTB.

>install pavucontrol
Done.

Not everybody uses a 20 year old thinkpad user

Yeah, I really wish that I could use an OS that is more modular than Windows but without sacrificing all of the drivers support and crap like that.

Or maybe it's just me not committing enough to it and just picking the easier way.

cool. wish I would have known that at the time without all the hassle.

It's easy for you to smug about it though, I get it.

This desu But winblows strikes deals with the companies not to

>If you want your fancy google maps your traffic updates on the way to work and all this shit tracking is necessary.
It's not necessary to track it at all, though. Google could decide to not save all of that data. But they do.
On my android phone, realistically the only reason I need GPS service is for driving. Yet if I have GPS enabled, every fucking app in the app store wants to access my location and save that data. Why? It's not necessary at all.

I started out with gentoo coming from windows which forces you to progressively build up your system, one program at a time. So if you install sound support and it doesn't work it shouldn't be hard to guess which component is failing.

>he fell for the gentoo meme

Gentoo served me well for over 4 years now. I wouldn't call that a meme.

It's not though, it's some new Toshiba piece of shit.

They probably need your data for developing their own stuff too.

For targeting purposes, if you know your usual customer's behavior it's easier to provide them with services they are willing to pay for.

Understood. Like I said I've been using Linux for a long time. I know how to deal with these issues. I've got a riced partition laying around somewhere. I run a linux server at work. It's great for that. It's a great live distro for security stuff and other networking tasks.

I just don't want to spend the time anymore when I want to get work done.

Still sometimes I am baffled with how shitty the desktop experience can be. I know why it happens, and I don't fault Linux perse, I just wish we all had a better alternative.

Hijacking this thread

Total n00b here. I want to make Linux (fedora) my main OS, but first i´m learning all i can about it in a VM, however, it works too laggy. Should i switch from Oracle VM? (i'm in a I5 2320 and i gave it 3 Gb of ram power).

1. If you're a hobbyist/beginner programmer and IDEs scare you.

Let's be real here, any large scale projects are going to be done in VS or whatever IDE is popular in that field/company.

2. You need a simple stripped down server running only a single task so that it's easy to troubleshoot.

Incidentally, MS realized this strength and now allows WS2016 Core to install only the kernel+services as well with the GUI stripped out.

>I just don't want to spend the time anymore when I want to get work done.
Fair enough.
>I just wish we all had a better alternative.
While it might just be a pile of shit it's still free so it's nice that we have the option.

>Just bought a new laptop
>Windows 10 has some neat trackpad gestures, but is otherwise nothing out of the ordinary
>Slap Mint on it
>It runs exactly the same except no nice trackpad gestures
>Even with TLP the battery life was the same as windows
I mean it works fine and all, but I don't see any reason to use it

>While it might just be a pile of shit it's still >free so it's nice that we have the option.

haha true

i use opensuse on my x220 and everything just works.

Maps.me
Xprivacy

1/ shell + tools, true/native cli oriented solution
2/ interesting techs for devel.: isolation, containers, sandboxing, (flatpak, lxd, snappy), fedora atomic workstation for devel environments, etc ...
3/ firefox, mpv = 90% of most people needs.
It's in there, for free.
4/ free

As long as you're not a retard or some edgy gamer, linux does everything windows does, for free, as easily.

>As long as you're not a retard or some edgy gamer, linux does everything windows does, for free, as easily.

no.

Everything basic works out of the box for most Linux distros.
You get to control your OS instead of the other way around.
You can remove bloat.
There are tons of different distros for people of different taste and needs.
Better security.
You don't support a terrible centralised tyrant.
If you ever need to access any OS you can just emulate/virtualise it.

>answer call from dad
>"hey son, how do i install turbotax on this linux thing, i put in the disc and nothing happened"
>i'm so sorry dad

>Apologizing for freedom

it's 2016, everything exists as webservice backends/webpage frontends.

>if you want to not be cucked don't have a girlfriend or wife in the first place!

i know that. thats why i dont have any of those

Buy a prebuilt with the OS already on it if you want something fast. When you do it yourself you will most likely have to jump through some hoops and that will take time. This is true for any OS of any kind. Try sourcing intel drivers for a brand new motherboard. That can take a day of sniffing around on the internet and copying device names installing.

The main key to getting any install to work is not giving up. Having spent some money sometimes will help there.

>prebuilt
those have so much shit preinstalled that they are slower than a 15 year old computer.

you wut?

Microsoft Signature doesn't have this problem. :^)

Restricted filenames on windows: I can't stand it.

Can't make filenames with a / in it in "GNU+Linux"

>see 2 post weren't me, i'm not samefagging at all! Manchild spotted.

Can you make a folder named C://
?

> He fell for the "binaries and bloat are fine" meme

>taxes
Lol @wagecuck

I'm sure that's why

>please don't turn off your computer while installing updates

the single most cited reason to leave winland behind. You just put up with it because you learned to live with it. Of course it just werks when you cherrypick your examples

+bloatware
-privacy
+costs (e.g. office suite)
-freedom
-features (e.g. containers)

it is actually the morally right thing to do to switch + you can make the difference and force companies to actually care about linux hw support

I have a job as a software engineer in the silicon valley and I use vim. Once you add in filetree plugins and ctrlp andwhatever else to vim there isn't really much a difference. The only real advantage you get after that is that IDE's will have easy to use built in debuggers, but gdb / cgdb I don't think are any worse. I think by using vim to write code you are going to write the actual code faster (assuming you are proficient with vim), but sacrifice speed in other areas.

Linux "just werks" if you research the hardware compatibility ahead of time.

Case in point: Bought a brand new laptop with a discount AMD APU. Turns out Linux has no support for that particular APU, so the screen just goes black and you can't do anything unless you boot into low graphics mode. If I had know that, I wouldn't have got this laptop in the first place, because Windows doesn't "just werk" if you have to do any serious work outside of Microsoft Office and very basic programming. The tools just suck.

As long as you get compatible hardware, then yes, Linux allows you to get all your work done without any trouble, way better than Windows does. It's just a bitch finding the compatible hardware, but it's worth it in my opinion.

this is what most people dont remember to do.

this... literally this

you can tell the amount of autism in this thread by how long it took for Sup Forums to say this

arch cucks

linux is really only for people who have nothing better to do, e.g NEETS

if you're sane and have a life, just stick with windows

Linux is not Windows, try to learn it. It's not like you knew how to use Windows dor the first time. Don't use yaourt for software that is in the official repositories. Look for things in the ArchWiki. I personally don't have one single problem, can't really speak for you. Ppst on the forum and wait for some help.