/sqt/ ~ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE and WAIT for a reply. You are NOT entitled to an answer.

For Linux related stuff, try >READ THE STICKY FIRST
>GOOGLE YOUR ISSUE BEFORE POSTING
>DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

Redirect anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use as a link to find this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/4v55
urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=List Of Black People Foods
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>you need to change the boot order. if you kept your old windows install you may have to reinstall.
I don't have any OS installed on it.

then you just press the correct key (check manual, but normally F8) during boot to get the option to boot from USB

Will try it. Thanks.

I'm gonna buy a 1060. Question is : with so many models how should I pick one ?

Gonna step up my audio game
Got 2 options

Micca MB42X,Dayton Sub1000 and a Lepai Amp
or
Pair of JBL 305

Gonna be used for gaymz, music and muh anime

benchmarks/reviews/how good the cooler is I guess

Try to see if Tech Syndicate, Paul's Hardware, NCIX, or LinusTechTips have reviewed any of the 1060s you're looking at.

Gonna buy a new tv, 49"-50", should I buy a normal 1080p or fall in the meme of 4K?

im in the same boat as you

i think im getting a 1080p but i need one with minimum input lag for my gaymen

yeah but not all of them have a review.. I'll check them anyway.

They're probably not all that different in performance, so I doubt you're missing out by only looking into ones with reviews.

Now that the free period has ended for Windows 10, is it now impossible to reinstall (for hardware changes or other various reasons)

If I install Windows 8.1, I assume I won't be prompted for an upgrade anymore?

I don't even know what there is left to replace in my computer but it's still running games that it can definitely handle at 30fps max on lowest settings. Even that isn't steady. Could this be a power supply thing? Because I've replaced pretty much everything else, and before all that I ran an obscene amount of scans to try and find ANYTHING that could be making my computer so fucky.

its your shitty CPU

Why won't my computer turn on when I plug my GPU into the PSU? When I run my PC without it connected to the PSU, the fans on the GPU run.

I switched the PCI slots on the motherboard too, and same results.

My PSU is a Seasonic 860 platinum

My Motherboard is Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H

GPU is Nvidia 780 GTX.

The thing is, it came on suddenly. Everything ran fine and then it crashed during a game and nothing's run right since. The new CPU is exactly the same as the one I had before the problems started.

I remember seeing something at some point about disabling the privacy violation inherent in using Captcha on Sup Forums. Don't remember specifics though. I think it involved a script? Somebody help please, search engines are no use.

AppData\Local\Private Internet Access\User Data\Default
in this direction there is a one file called:
History

Can somebody explain to me why this thing exists? and why this thing keeps my bookmarks?

Get a 144 or 160hz 1080/1440 over any 4k if you're doing gaming

i need a TV not a monitor, i already have a 144hz monitor

What's a good laptop for video editing and 3D? I'd like to keep it around $1500, but have a little room if it'll give me more reliability.

College has some desktops, but they tend to be taken quickly and work is deleted off of them.

What the fuck does this mean? Trying to buy a hard drive for my first rig off Craigslist but don't know if I'm just dumb or this really doesn't make sense

warranty too

will you even get 4k media to use it?

pretty much every decent 1080p monitor these days is 1-2ms.

go to MDL forums and get an activator

stress test everything (cpu, gpu, ram)

did you connect it to the right connector on the psu (i'm guessing it's modular)?

4chanX

anything not made by HP or Acer with a decent GPU and the best CPU you can afford.

but you should probably chill a bit to see when the new nvidia gpus come for laptops

tell that faggot to learn english

>laptop for video editing and 3D

lol

my 3000$ gpu struggles to edit 3D, im sure your laptop will do just fine

why does firefox shit itself whenever it tries to load the captcha in the post window?

>stress test everything (cpu, gpu, ram)
Is there a program that will do this? Because I think I have a spare power supply, so I'm going to try that tomorrow and if it doesn't work I'll look into this.

Is life really worth living?

intel burn test and prime95 for CPU.
memtest for RAM
dont know anything for gpu any more since they cucked furmark

Maybe I'll just kill myself if it doesn't work. This computer is genuinely all I have. Just running another round of scans now out of desperation.

Anyone here ever had a job where you show up to peoples houses for tech support through an agency and do tech support?

Experiences?

I connected it to the PCI-E 8 pin row, in the slot pictured. I tried plugging it into other slots along the same row.

Is there any way to make SeaMonkey not open a new window when I close the only existing one?

Not sure if this is the right place, but can anyone ID the chair in the pic for me? I'm looking into ergonomic chairs and I've seen this chair floating around but don't know what it's called.

Yeah, I don't trust HP to begin with.

That'd be ideal, but I may or may not have a video editing class coming up at the end of the month and my old laptop gives up on life whenever I open Adobe Premiere.

It's not the kind that needs a farm. Short videos and modeling.

i never heard of any virus that locks your frames to 30 fps. stop wasting your time and just fucking stresstest, it's faster than scanning shit

do you have onboard video chip?
try another gpu?

if you live in the US expect it to suck fucking ass because everyone there are fucking retarded and have stupid expectations and shit.

hm that sucks. you could probably get something with a 980M gpu and i7 (preferably latest generation) for a decent price (at least inside your budget). pretty much any other brand than those 2 i mentioned should be good.

Just out of desperation, really. When I first posted about my problems back in May I was told it was probably the software.

have you formatted and reinstalled windows?

For some reason firefox just started refusing the specifics of image saving - It still remembers the download directory but everything else (sort by most recent files, mid-sized thumbnails and so on) is constantly getting reset with each new download dialogue. It NEVER did this before either, this just started happening right out of the blue.

Wat do?

does the same thing happen when you browse folders in explorer?

Nope

onboard videochip? i think so. i have an i7 CPU.

I do not have another video card or another PC to test it on.

can you redpill me on SSD ?
Should I listen Sup Forums memes about samsung 750 or the other brands make good shit now ?

what is the equivalent for an hd7950? is it the 380? 370X?

check reviews and benchmarks

remove gpu and plug your monitor into the video port on the mobo

So i just restarted ff and now it's werking again

Huh

I fucked myself trying to make a bootable USB.

Not new to linux or anything, but instead of using unetbootin I tried the dd way (found on slackware's admittedly outdated wiki):

> isohybrid slackware64-14.2-install-dvd.iso
> dd if=slackware64-14.2-install-dvd.iso of=/dev/sdd

Now fdisk -l does not show the drive, neither does df.

I tried:

> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdc; sync

to rewrite the drive with zeros, but:

> mkfs.vfat /dev/sdd1

returns, obviously:

> /dev/sdb1: No such file or directory

Fuck. How do I fix this.

er, last line should be:

> /dev/sdd1: No such file or directory

My father has given me his old phone, so now I have two smartphones. Any idea what could I do with the extra one other than sell it?

>not using tag

Don't know how to do that

I'm having two problems with my new Windows 7 desktop.

1. After coming out of sleep mode my computer occasionally blue screens and/or restarts completely.

2. Sometimes, when I initiate shutdown, the computer restarts instead. I think this may only occur when I shutdown by clicking enter on the shutdown button rather than clicking on it with my mouse.

>be me
>in hellhole where Xfinity Wifi is literally the only available internet service

Is there a way to get xfinity wifi for cheaper than $60/month?

They say it comes included with any xfinity home internet plan, but they have plans that start at $30/month. Surely it can't be this easy. It must be throttled to the speed of the plan or something?

[ code ]

installed updates and drivers?

You could try reading the OP or just go to reading the sticky. It's not that hard man.

a store offers a 7950 vapor x for 170€ with 6 month warranty but it has a dead fan. I can find 770 2gb or ref 7970 with the same money but no warranty. what do?

Need a Windows vm for uni, what's more lightweight, win 7 or 10?

test

>uni
Does your school have 10 on its workstations?
If so, then 10.
If not grab 7

Windows 8

Anyone here that owns the OnePlus 3, is the screen res and color really that bad? I know the battery is supposedly shit but I figured with the fast charge that doesn't really matter. I had a HTC One X+ for four years and loved it so I'm looking for something that I can be happy with for just as long. Can I trust the chinkphones?

>workstations
Do you still live in 2003 or something? I don't think those have been a thing for a decade.

>installed updates and drivers?
Yep, everything should be up-to-date.

Ok. Well first I had windows 7. Then upgraded to Windows 10. Then the boot manager messed up. Since I have no windows 10 installation disk I can't repair it and am required to go back to Windows 7. Problem is my back up failed and so now I can't get to my files. I ran a debian live usb but when I try to access my windows hard drive it says the drive won't mount cause windows is in hibernate. Any way I can get past that?

They never stopped being a thing, dumbass.

>secured and sysadmin maintained image
>every user has their personal files(projects, notes etc) on a fileserver
>hourly rotation snapshots to backup server

I dont see your point

What is the difference between kernelspace and userspace, how are they separated (in memory, yes, but how?) and how does this relate to an SMP kernel? What's the difference between a userspace thread and a kernel thread?

Is there a webm for retards like program that works for XP? inb4 >XP, it's just for this laptop, and using a video converter then ffmpeg is time consuming just for splicing out 3-4 second clips

streamable.com/4v55

ffmpeg

pls

There is literally nothing else.
Here
be spoon fed

I hate self bumping but I need help

Fuck off

Having my black coworker over for dinner later, wasn't really comfortable with it but he kind of insisted. Anyway what kinds of foods do black people like? Anything I should be sure to avoid? I don't really know that much about "black culture".

you waited 10 minutes
fuck off

urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=List Of Black People Foods

Fried chicken and shit will look racist so you can't do that.

But the negro loves southern food.

I'd advice barbecue like ribs, with cornbreads, fried okra, and I think they call them black eyed peas.
Strawberry drink, not grape drank

Please help Sup Forums. My friend a while ago gave me a special copy of Windows 10, installing it on my computer, that has the registries to send photos and other information to Microsoft removed. He did this and left for London, lost contact.

How to I get this current copy of windows onto a USB or CD or something, to install into a Chromebook which I got as a gift for school (poorfag). I managed to make it back at 20 years old.

Please help. Chromebook has 32gb SSD just incase space requirement inquiries.

Meat and potatoes

In order to get past the "hibernate", you have to be able to get into your power settings and disable hibernation. Since you can't do that, I would try a fresh install of windows off a USB.

Plug the USB in and open it up in the file explorer. Then just drag and drop the current windows onto the flash drive

I downloaded the free copy of Win10 (for those with assistive technology), put the file on USB drive, launched BIOS and set my my Boot #1 to be the USB drive, but it's telling me "Missing operating system"

wat do Sup Forums?

I found my old galaxy s3 ( i535 verizon) but its still on android version 4.1.2. Is there a way I can update to 4.4 without a computer?

So all my files I had are fucked?

you need to press the button to get the boot selection screen (not enter bios) usually F8

I did, it's F12 on my mobo. I select the USB drive and still get Missing operating system

Second to last bump. Getting desperate

i know how to use it its just time consuming

Did you just drag and drop the ISO onto your USB?

Yes. I had a feeling that's where I fucked up. What would be the proper way to do it?

Had a long day and I'm tired as hell so I'm fucking up left and right

>use ffmpeg to extract video you want with keyframe/time.
>run webm script

How is this time consuming?

You need a program to make it bootable.
If it's Win7 use microsoft's official USB DVD Tool from their website. I'm sure someone else can recommend the correct program for other Windows versions.

For Linux you can use Unetbootin

Apparently it's some fucking thing called Rufus. Thanks a lot, user.

gl with rufus

haha

Fuck off

Is there a cheaper alternative to the ASUS zenbook pro which has similar baterly life and performance other than the xps 15?

Your a funny guy trying to be me

Any ways I figured it out. I deleted the hibernate file from Windows so I could mount the drive. Doing a fresh install anyways so don't care about Windows acting funny

Just cook whatever.

All desktop pcs there have Windows 7