What router do you guys use?

What router do you guys use?

Other urls found in this thread:

timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a few tp links because they were cheap. it's a piece of shit.

My edge router is a Soekris net6501 running OpenBSD.

the one given to me by att

A Cisco ASA 5510 for NAT and VPN from the internet, and behind that a Catalyst 3750E for internal routing because muh 10 gigabit

Best 'pre-N' router ever made.

Which VPN? I'm deciding on one as we speak.

Narrowed my choice to these so far.

What's the best firmware for a WRT54GL these days?

The ASA only handles inbound VPN from the Internet so I can access my shit without having to expose it to the internet. For a torrent VPN I have a VM connect to ibVPN via OpenVPN, and runing Microsoft RRAS 2012 R2 to route/NAT traffic from a VLAN to it.

ubiquiti edgerouter lite + edgeswitch 24 lite. They're dope and way cheaper than cisco gear for full hardware acceleration + vyatta + debian convenience.

Netgear R7000

>full hardware acceleration
I hate to break it to you but your router doesnt have hardware acceleration, and 18Gbps on the switch is pretty shitty considering it has a pair of SFP+ ports. It doesnt even support wire rate switching on one of them. For the same price you could have bought used Cisco gear. The only thing that has on Cisco is a web interface for the switch.

Also I can't even find any info if it does layer 3 switching in a ASIC or if it has to punt them to the CPU.

>router doesnt have hardware acceleration
disregard that, i was retarded, apparently it does although for $100 i really have to wonder what its limits are.

Maybe "full" is a bit of an overstatement for the router, but it does offload for forwarding, 801.1Q, NAT, IPSec. Haven't really stressed it though. I don't use the SFP+ ports on switch but it is nice and easier to work with in both CLi and web gui than my previous Netgear/Tomato + cisco sg300-10 setup.

How does one objectify a router? What keeps them secure?

What is the cheapest gigabit ethernet router I can get?
I need something to connect to my FTTH with the "fti/something" login (I already have the ONT).

The router provided by my ISP doesn't even allows me to change the DNS.

What's the best budget wifi router/dsl model these days?

ASUS RT-AC68U

RT-AC68R
i bought it at wal-mart for 90$

It's considered ancient at this point but I have a Cisco-Linksys WRT320N w/gigabit ethernet and it works great. Found it on Amazon for $25 new.

Don't fall for the modem/router combo meme

TP Link AC1750

I have no idea how good or bad this router is. How did I do team?

>I don't use the SFP+ ports on switch
Then why did you buy it? You can get layer 3 gigabit switches for less than $300? PoE? The web UI? Just because?

Don't want to run two devices mate, I don't need the supreme networking capabilities of a multi device setup anyhow.

WRT54GL, running shibby Tomato. Best firmware there is, for the WRT54GL.

Fully managed with a real CLI and 24 ports? None I know of for cheaper new. I'm sure there are some nice smart switches that can do vlan tagging but it goes well with the router.

not that guy,but i don't like buying combo units because of upgradability.
plus who knows if the router fails or the modem fails...either way, you will be without Internet until you replace the unit.

That's my main reason (from experience). They are more expensive sometimes than buying a router and modem separately and if one goes out you're SOL.

fine you autists, what's a good router and modem then?

If you aren't looking for anything special it really comes down to brand loyalty to be completely honest

I'm a Cisco-Linksys fan but there is also Netgear and budget companies such as TP-Link

get a modem that is approved by your ISP.
you will have to find out your current connect speed and then buy a modem with the correct amount of "bonding channels".

timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/topics/lease-or-buy-modem.html

i always have bad luck.
setting up a modem should be fucking easy.
the last 2 times i have tried it, i was on tech support for one fucking hour.

step 1: connect the cable to the router
step 2: connect ethernet cable to modem
step 3: connect pc to ethernet
step 4: turn modem on
step 5: call tech support and give them the modem's MAC address.
step 6: wait a minute or two for them to activate it.
step 7: disconnect ethernet cable from pc and connect it to the router. restart modem.

I've got an Edgerouter X at home and I have an Edgerouter Lite at school. They're great, really hope I never have to go back to the shit I used to use before.

Nighthawk R7000 running DD-WRT, have multiples with a wireless bridging and such... it's pretty great.

Looks perfect, thanks

i manually forward my packets by hand for security reasons

The good DIR-618.

BT Smart Hub

It came with Infinity and works a treat, tbqh

>router at home
why? what networks is my router forwarding to?
how many VLANs do you guys have at home that you need routing for? all of my traffic will goto the ISP and they will route it where it needs to go. basically a default route of quad zero to the ISPs shit
the only reason I can think of would be for NATing

I use tomato on mine.

how do i take pictures like that? I have canon 60d

two cheap TP links with openwrt
one cost 10€ on sale
the other has faulty one port and was tossed away so I took it
perfect coverage of the whole house

>how many VLANs do you guys have at home that you need routing for?
1 Native
2 Intranet
3 Wi-Fi
4 VPN Clients
5 VMware Management
6 VMware vMotion
7 Guest Wi-Fi
8 Internet
9 OpenVPN
10 Tor

>an Asus N56-U I got for $30
flashed with padavan firmware and attached to DAS (wd passport 2TB) I use as a media and backup.
>SSH server+DDNS (for wan access)+WOL (to remote access my home desktop)
>Media server to stream from the attached hdd.

Tomato.

>trying to call a USB hard drive DAS
If it doesnt have SFF-8088 or SFF-8644 connectors, it isnt DAS.

You're right I can't call it proper DAS since it's via usb and not scsi/sas attached. I'm fully aware that usb speeds even on 3.0 are quite low for server storage. As a matter of fact what I said was a simplification of my setup. the WD passport is enclosure-less and and there's a 3com switch, a TP-link wd8960 in bridge mode, a raspberry pi for kodi. The whole point for this setup is to be cost efficient, cheap to get and it still gets the work done after 1 year.

tp link wr1043 running openwrt, might switch to some asus router

pfsense running on zotac zbox

The default router that Eircom sends you

>You're right I can't call it proper DAS since it's via usb and not scsi/sas attached.
Also it isnt DAS because you're sharing it out over wifi.

>3com
how fucking old is it? they got bought out by HP years ago

some shit my isp gave me combo modem/router. locked bios you can only access via unplugging then accessing it on boot. fuck you clear access

Cisco EPC3940L.
ISP gave it. Fills my current needs

TP-Link TL-MR3420 on OpenWRT. Fuck Chaos Calmer, now I can't even make USB work because of the lack of free space.

>sharing it out over wifi
I'm not even using wifi. The only time I turn on the dual band radio is when I've got guests nagging me "hey can I connect to your wifi, what's it called?"
the padavan firmware offers ftp and samba sharing. all of my devices are connected through Lan : switch limited to 100mb connects the TV, pi, digital receiver and another junk desktop and the gigabit router on my desktop directly connects the main desktop and my X220T.
I use LTE on my blackberry and ssh to the home network if needed but I only do it to check uptimes, if the DDNS is ko, and reboots.

>3com switch
I use this little baby right here, salvaged from a pawn shop for 1 silly dollar. it's 100mb only and fulfills all my needs.