/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

www2.padi.com/blog/2016/08/15/padi-seiko-release-special-edition-padi-divers-watches
divewatchesblog.com/watch-comparator/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

A new pebble steel is $99 you absolute mongoloid.
Who the fuck is going to buy your shitty used one for 9 bucks less?
Actually I drop my offer down to 20. It's probably stolen anyway
>When mongs try to sell garbage and expect full price

Would it look weird to wear a real watch on the left wrist and a smartwatch/faggot fitness thing on the right?

It would look fucking retarded.
Why would you even need to ask that?
Wear the fitness thing when you go running or w/e and the normal one any other time.

The more I think about it the more convient it is to have music controls/fitness garbage and shit on your wrist. But I like my mechanical watches too much not to wear them.
So hipster faggots can wear 60 armbands on each wrist and I can't wear a watch on each?
The only smartwatch I would be interested in though is the pebble classic.

Damn it, I want to like this watch but the lugs and the cheap polishing are throwing me off (it looks much more shinier in person).

Oh yea dude you won't look like a retard at all.

>So hipster faggots can wear 60 armbands on each wrist
That shit is stupid looking too.

B-but muh solar power and accurate quartz movement.

You get a 2804 and a sapphire crystal for like 200 bucks.
Literally a better watch in every way

>Seiko and PADI share a passion for the safety and enjoyment of divers and the marine environment through the support of Project AWARE™. Now, PADI and Seiko have partnered to release two PADI Special Edition diver’s watches this autumn.

>The Seiko Prospex PADI Special Edition Kinetic GMT Diver’s SUN065 uses Seiko’s Kinetic technology. The Seiko unique movement uses a rotor, powered only by body movement, to charge the battery. This watch features a modern version of the legendary two-layer case first seen in 1975 and affectionately nicknamed for it’s superficial resemblance to a can of “Tuna.” The build quality is excellent with clear dial printing, a smooth bezel and a solid crown.

>The Seiko Prospex PADI Special Edition Automatic Diver’s SRPA21 pays homage to a true classic: the 1970’s Seiko 150m mechanical diver’s watch. Its unique case and dial design led divers to nickname this model the “Turtle.” The watch features Seiko’s trademark easy-to-read, wide, clear hands. It’s a clean and simple diver’s watch, destined to become a trusted friend.

>Both special edition models gracefully feature PADI’s characteristic red and blue color on the dials and the bezels, and the PADI logo on the dials.

>Already, those digital airwaves are buzzing about these new analog watches; don’t miss the opportunity to own a piece of watch making and dive training history.

www2.padi.com/blog/2016/08/15/padi-seiko-release-special-edition-padi-divers-watches

>tfw farsighted with small wrists

>tfw nearsighted and huge wrists

Get a minute repeater. Then you won't have to look at it

Or Eone Bradley

>eco-drive
Cannot take a watch with that bullshit marketing seriously. As if watch batteries contribute in any meaningful way to pollution.

They should just have done what they normally do and copy Seiko, just call it "Solar".

Get a big pilot watch with good lume.

>Guy puts this on Ebay
>Claims there's so scratches
>Point out that there is and offer him 5 bucks less than the asking bid (He has less than a day left with 0 bids)
>Says I should clean my screen and stop "harrasing" him
Fucking smartwatch faggots. He's sending it from CA too, typical.
Is there anyway to report an item or user?

I bought a cheap Yazole 315 cause I had nothing "formal" to wear at an event. How long should it last?

What's all this I hear about Sinn raising prices in September

Yes you can report him.

In fact, you may win the case against him. EBay sides with buyers these days

There was no transaction involved yet. You can't report him for hurting your feelings...

Can't I report this faggot for fraud?
He says it's in excellent condition with no scratches but it's scratched and scuffed to shit...also he kinda hurt my feelings yeah.

>and stop "harrasing" him

>only Rolex, Patek and Piguet are going to be posted unironically, as if any of us here couls affors them ATM
I didn't want to get involved in this autism, but this is an asinine complaint. Do you bitch about seeing girls out of your league being posted in an /s/ or /gif/ thread?

I sent the pics too
How can you act like a complete faggot while peddling your shit?

Just give up, no need to burn you own nerves. Also realize time doesn't exist and don't buy that watch.

Yeah I didn't bother replying and just bid on another one. There's no way in hell I would pay over 20 bucks for a toy watch anyway.
>Also realize time doesn't exist
The dankest of /wt/ memes

Kek. Sounds almost like Aussie bantz. There's a surprising number of them here trying to get into entertainment/tech. He might be lying, but why bother asking him again after that response? If he was going to accept a best offer, he would have listed it as such.

A lot of retards think they can get people to bid on their dogshit.
Most reasonable ones will accept a best offer when it's close to ending and no one bids. Got a lot of cheap thinkpads that way.
Faggots think that everything they own is as hyped up as their shitty iphones and can sell used for 90% of what they paid for it.

>"Coming to terms with the end of life, reaching a sense of wholeness and acceptance of life as it has been"

that made me feel

Most people on here don't get past the infant stage user
Why do you think you keep buying so many watches?

being a gentleman makes me happy

Buying watches does not fill the void. There is nothing left that I enjoy. Nothing makes me happy. Everything that should just makes me reflect and eventually depressed.

You should have bought it, for whatever price, then when it arrived taken clear photos of the scratches and submitted a "not as described" complaint. You even have the reassurance from him that they were *not* scratches, so he would have literally forced himself to give you a full or partial (like the $5 you wanted) refund, when complaints are already nearly guaranteed to be met regardless. Then when it was over you could have told him to not be a smug asshole next time, forcing your hand. Then just polish off your new watch with some toothpaste and loathe in self-satisfaction.

I've done that before
Bought a T61 for 50 bucks, then asked for 30 bucks back to get a new fan and keyboard.
It took like 2 weeks for him to get his head out the ass and accept that he didn't test the thing before sending it.

If I bid and win now though can't he use my messages as proof that I knew it was scratching before bidding? I would actually really like to fuck this faggot over.

He is having a laugh

Instead of just declining the offer he has said something to rile you up, and I guess it has worked

This. I've spent enough time lurking Sup Forums and Sup Forums to recognize that tone.

I wouldn't worry about what you said. His pictures aren't incredibly clear and you were just being rightfully suspicious.

Drinking to fill the void seems to do me fine

It's plain as day to me, I've done similar things people on the Internet

Makes sense, since he claimed there weren't any even after I sent the pics.
I'll wait until the listing is almost over then..

>Drinking to fill the void seems to do me fine
It just makes me extremely depressed and suicidal. Last time I drank I was hospitalized. No thanks.

Should i buy this broken lord marvel and attempt to repair it? I have watchmaking tools.

Good luck trying to get parts.

That was a joke. I like to think one achieves enlightenment by virtue. It is certainly not achieved by drinking or material possessions

A sense of self helps, which I think it the base of problems for most young people, a lot of problems from lacking one

I recall someone having to chase around a bit for parts, how much? The discounted price might not be worth the hassle of chasing around for the parts. If worse comes to worse and money isn't a problem you could buy other working movement and get the parts from it

I'm still keeping an eye out for an under $500 gift for my dad (who isn't making things easier by refusing to wear anything without the original bracelet), so I check used Oris listings from time to time in the hopes of spotting a deal. Can anyone tell me why there are so many listings of refinished Big Crown Pointer Dates for sale? Are ppl unloading them to used watch dealers en masse? Is it safe to assume that they're, more likely than not, beat to shit?

Pic related (not from any actual listing, I just googled "used oris pointer date")

Haha its funny because they do look like smudges.
I bet they are.
"Don't lie to me I'm a watchmaker, i know everything! "

Look at both pics
Smudges don't disapear depending on the light angle user.
Would it have been better to explain to him that his shitty toy watch has a plastic "crystal"?
I have no clue why I even want to buy one of those things

>sharp, unidirectional lines around the corners of an item
>smudge

Pick one.

It's actually a really good watch, I've had one for around 15 years. I put it in a drawer and forgot about it, when I found it it worked after being in the light for a few seconds.

Pic related I have it on a Bond nato now.

I thought eco was short for economic in this case as it need a much smaller amount of light to function and will save money compared to buying batteries?

I knew you would appear.

No its short for eco friendly or some shit
The Hamilton is objectively the better watch for for not much more money though

It's short for "Im a faggot"

Lucky I wore a dive watch on my weekend away, because I was drowning in pussy

Hi, guys, /out/ist here.

I need your help deciding on a watch. I've got my mind set on a Suunto Core Crush, but the problem with it is that it's digital. Or is it? Can anyone who has the watch tell me whether or not it's possible to set an analog watch face?

Thanks. I might tell the new Gtx 1060 to fuck itself and get a watch instead.

Get one on the outer side and one on the inside of your wrist and just wear it like that. Look at veins = smart, look on hairy forearm = mechanical. Still looks retarded, but at least it's harder to notice.

Nobody here owns a Suunto, you’ll have better luck on your own board or /k/ at best, or elsewhere. However, I can confirm to you that you cannot change the face. The watch is limited to whatever is built into its custom LCD screen. Pic related.

It's not a smartwatch, you can't customize the dial. Also you might want to look at the G-Shock Rangeman and some of the Casio Pro Trek models if you want a watch with altimeter, barometer, and compass functions.

Your parents get that watch away last Friday?

2824's report in.

+1 for Elaboré
+2 for Top
+5 For Chorno, because reasons.

Is that watch 38mm? Or smaller?

>no end links
TRIGGERED

>tfw just sold 2 of my stupid quartz watches for $400 on ebay

Thank you based hoarders

How about a 2824 and a 2836?

Shall suffice :^)

That is one hefty ass crown on the diver though.

Hell, a hefty diver in all.

>servicing my fathers watch that he got as a settling of a bar tab decades ago
>mfw turns out it's a Swiss ETA automatic (big deal in former commieland)
>mfw turns out it's a Super-Compressor case
>mfw turns out it has 20 micron gold plating instead of the usual 10
>mfw turns out it has 120m WR, on a late 60's causal/semi-dress watch
>mfw turns out the 3, 6, 9 indexes has diamonds set in them
What else? Will it turn out it belonged to fucking Kadhafi or something?

2824, 2893-2, and 7750s reporting in. All top grade except for the Fortis (elaboré I think).

in for snkn01

>overpriced Steinhart knock offs with worst material
>top anything

>"Do you have time?"
>Let me show you my wrist fedora m'lady
>"err thats fine"
>you see I don't need to check the time on my phone because wearing a clock strapped to my wrist shows class and elegance and is not an outdated concept.
>"I am in a hurry "
>yes, I am busy man myself as you can tell by my time piece that is with me all the time.
>"I got to go"
>haha ok but remember class is for men and swag is for boys gentle miss

Does this watch have a date setting?

The movement has it, but it's hidden behind the dial.

They really could, and should, strip the date function off, but I guess it's doing no harm by being there. I can honestly predict custom dials emerging eventually with a date window.

Nice bait. I ain't even the guy who shits on Steinharts. Pick your battles, bra :^)

Pics or gtfo.

Hey, can you maybe chill out?

Bought this for £20 on eBay. Production was January 1985.

Nicely done.

It's either 35 or 36mm my friend

The bracelet isn't amazing, it isn't the stock one. It doesn't even fit my wrist either, way too small. Hopefully getting a strap soon

>it isn't the stock one
Fair enough.

The stock ones pretty cool actually, shame a replacement goes for too much

Eyy, I emailed you mate, they did

Elaborate

The dial is pretty beat and the 3/6/9 indexes are probably a custom job, because the FAGGOT who did it likely used superglue and marked the dial at 9 (also 9 is crooked), but those are real tiny diamonds set in the middle of indexes. Also I left the movement at the workplace, it's still waiting for a new cannon pinion. It has an old ETA 2472 at 18000bph.

Pretty cool user

Pic of the inside of the caseback. Couldn't do a proper pic of the outside, since it's scratched the fuck up, but after a light rubbing with some Cape Cod cloth I could read that it has a 20 micron plating and water resistant to 12atm. Also it's supposed to be vacuum sealed, but not anymore of course.

Sorry it's my spare I'm too fucktarded to check.

I want a really CHEAP + simple watch NO DATE NOTHING (vostok are a bit too gimmicy for my liking) that would look nice with a nato strap. Also I have small wrist. Any suggestions?

Seiko 5.

Literally thousands of variants and styles, just look around for one you like. Should fit your girly wrists too.

Brevet....
Interesting

>Seiko 5
Thanks senpai. U a real nigga
Any idea on how big it should be for a small wrist? Under 40mm?

Brevet means patent.

That dial looks seriously rough, yet the caseback seems relatively clean, how's the movement? I honestly cannot tell if those are watermarks near the 9 marker on the dial or the crystal.

Depends on "Small wrist"

Take some time to play with this: divewatchesblog.com/watch-comparator/

Get a tape measure or something of the like.

All those Seikos seem to have a date.
I want something like pic related.
Are Q&Q decent super budget watches?

get a daniel wellington replica from chinkland

All good, talk on the email, makes things easier I reckon

I don't care about prestige senpai nor aobut MUH 1000% SOALR YEAR PRECISION EXTRA FINE. I want it to look decent (as in not gimmicky, so simple) and do it's job.

The caseback pick is of the inner side, the outer is scratched the fuck up. Movement is fine, I only had to replace three parts, the cannon pinion, the stem and the intermediate wheel for the date mechanism.

The mark at 9 is probably glue. The mark at 8 is probably moisture or dirt ingress. See the crack on the crystal at 2? I believe that crack was originally at 8, but I have taken the crystal off once.

I'm not sure if I can restore the original 12atm WR, the original crown is lost, and I believe the acrylic crystal is proprietary to Super Compressor cases, a normal domed acrylic won't do.

then

Cheers Taswegian. Always a pleasure. What sort of tools do you recommend? Just for a fuck around on something shit. You obviously know what you are doing, might buy the poo in loo seiko from you if it together