Not even 7 or 8.1 will be safe anymore

>not even 7 or 8.1 will be safe anymore

computerworld.com/article/3108380/windows-pcs/microsoft-to-end-decades-old-pick-a-patch-practice-in-windows-7.html

what do?

Other urls found in this thread:

steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
thehackernews.com/2016/02/microsoft-windows10-privacy.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>what do?
Don't install that update.

They've never been safe, silly

Check out how chatty it is with a packet sniffer

There will be only one update from now on and it will increase in size the longer you don't install it

Better get your shit together faggot devs and start making gayms for linux, there's only bullshit in the horizon for wincucks

I haven't update Windows 7 in well over a year. I'm not starting now.

I dont think you understand. This means you can never install ANY update ever again. They are effectively ending support this october unless you give in to the botnet. Win 7 used to be safe as long as you didnt install certain telemetry updates.

>new java/adobe/other essential software (((acidentally))) breaks older version 7, forces users to update

What a coincidence, end of sales for OEMs is the end of this october.

>Any adobe products
Don't do that. I will grant you Java since I actually use it, but my Windows 7 machine has effectively become my host for Linux VMs that I actually use to work. The only other thing I use this piece of shit for is muh games that I don't even play anymore.

This will probably get me to switch everything over to Linux before the year is out, though.

Install a closed, secured version of win7 only downloadable thru torrent, it's not failproof but mitigates exposure while retaining authenticity.

Call it designer win7 builds that are closed enough to be secure, for a lack of better word, and open to retain authenticity.

The takedown of kat was attributed to the hollywood industry calling the hit, yet the black hand is windows. this statement cannot be proven at this time, yet windows 7 poses an internal threat to the agenda set forth on win10.

Microsoft will have many more cards up their sleeve. Assuming we're in centric environment where only windows 7 and windows 10 exist, the latter will take down the former through various means as owner, or rather container. It's self-containment if you will.

Same here.

>stick with the last version that works until they fix it
Still rocking Office 2010, VS 2013 and PS CS5, just werks.

so is microsoft really selling windows 10 now or did they extend the free upgrade option?
i'm not a windows user but i like memes.

ahahahahha

you gotta love that touch of Pajeet à la Apple

Migrate your primary machine with all the data you really want to keep, and all the banking you do and all that to a Linux distribution.

Or even fucking Android.

This thing has the nature of a in-your-face customer unfriendly practice.

Wow, they're really going all out now.

I see a lot of my customers switching to linux desktops or thin clients connecting to a terminal server in the future.

stay on posready 2009 till eol of course

One benefit of this is that I no longer regret taking the free update offer. Windows as a whole is done for.

You can still get it for free by downloading the version for people who have accessibility issues, which coincidentally has no real requirements

w7 has a posready version?

shouldnt this be a good time to download stand alone updates as exes?

>mfw the first blob intentionally breaks billions of windows devices, causing untold chaos and collapsing governments, leaving microshit as the leader of a dark new world order
>mfw i have no face

Can't wait for Fuchsia

How do I make this update not take place next time I turn my computer on?

[spoiler] its already downloaded [/spoiler]

>for people who have accessibility issues
But doesn't that describe all Win10 users?

I really hope someone hacks their servers and this happens, itd be a true shitstorm.

PS: Don't have a primary and secondary machine?

Well, fucking spend to get one. Yes, a few hundred bucks are worth not having to deal with Microsoft's shitty ideas for anything that matters.

Otherwise you're doing basically the equivalent to staying in a household with an asshole.

"Muh Classic Shell is not supported software and its installer has been blocked" - enjoy working around a thousand issues like that.

Jump ship. Plan 9 is pretty good.

What's their next move Sup Forums? My bet is they'll make all kind of malware tailored to w7. At this point it's obvious they're desperate.

The worst part about this, is that Microsoft will get away with it because they can.

I know you linuxfags will crow on about MUH YEAR OF DA LINUX DESKTOP but let's be honest, it's never going to happen. Vidya and Photoshop will ensure that Microsoft will always have it's monopoly on everything.

Fuck Everything

>updating windows
I haven't updated 8.1 since 2015. I have Windows Update disabled.

Nah, they won't easily do anything this obviously illegal.

They'll keep it legal, but it'll apparently be all about their interests with no regards to reputation or customer's needs. Because monopoly, go fuck yourself!

>My bet is they'll make all kind of malware tailored to w7

Why bother when people will just lay into w10, especially the enterprise version. W10 was a trainwreck the moment they had ads on the fucking start menu, MS is just trying to hit brakes way too late.

Is thhe new pajeet running MS the architect or all of the BS that has been pushed lately.

this

fucking freetards you had one job you fucking idiots, its too late now

Dude, we had the year of the Linux based personal computing OS taking over the world a long while already.

That's how it looks. The most popular end user OS by time and device share is not Windows anymore, but Linux-based Android.

Yes, we are not gonna head toward KDE+Linux or whatever in general for desktops. Retarded end users can't handle it, and don't need it.

It's however there if YOU want to be rid of Windows for the important stuff.

Guess what, if you just play your gayms on Windows, you won't feel nearly as affected, at least I think so.

Well I fucked that up..I meant:
Is thhe new pajeet running MS the architect of all of the BS that has been pushed lately.

if your computer is performing as you need it, why do you need the updates? i turned off the updates after installing my OS, it has been 3 years since and i haven't had any problem.

But I don't want to switch to GNU/Linux

OH stop it. It's over, Microsoft has won. All the customer outcries in the world can't stop them from getting their way

win 7 does have a posready version. we use it at work

Wine/Mint?

hypothetically speaking what kinds of valuable info could a hacker leak to literally fuck with society beyond repair? I know some countries rely a lot on microsoft products but i can't picture what kind of hit would be bullseye

Just about everything but the (arguably big-ish) niche that is desktop computer OS is now strongly Linux and open sauce.

Surprisingly much so, actually.

And you can move your desktop to a more than adequate Linux or BSD distribution for the vast majority of what you do, including all that you think needs some degree of privacy / security / confidence in the manufacturer's good faith.

Even though Win10 never got close to it's sales goal with forced upgrades?

>Vidya
Steam on Linux is nice.
>Photoshop
There's Krita, GIMP, Inkscape, and Blender.

The problem is that most users don't bother using *only* Linux.

I play games that don't run natively on Linux, would have to do a GPU passthrough thing

>Guess what, if you just play your gayms on Windows
Well, it looks like that's how things are headed as far as I'm concerned.

Do gaming on my main PC, everything else on my shitty laptop

Nah, it can be stopped, either slowly or theoretically by the EU's hammer (worked before).

Of course it's still unlikely to happen in time that you never have to do anything. Make yourself independent for now.

Thanks to their telemetry they know less than 1% of their users pick updates manually. Even on Sup Forums those people are a big minority.

I can understand why Microsoft is sick of making a separate patch for absolutely everything. Enterprise has a different way to deal with updates anyway so that doesn't matter.

>torrented win7slim can't into updates
>is only for native win gaymen
>use common sense 2016 ultimate edition
>dualboot with Linux
So, what was the problem again?

Dual-booting is made simple by most linux distros. Install windows for gaming, then install linux and let it set up dual-boot for you.

Install vista, like 7 but better.

>Plan 9 is pretty good.

I think it's safe to assume future games will require Win10

Plan 9 can play DOOM, I don't know what your problem is.

>not dual booting win 7 without updates and debian
>not playing games once in a while like a normal person
>not using debian for the rest

Don't feed internet to your windows VM

>I see a lot of my customers switching to linux

c'mon, please
We're trying to have a serious conversation here.

pretty much already the case with dx12

I explicitly recommend something like that.

Though you might want to get a halfway decent machine to increase your comfort levels.

Either way, just move as much as possible to Linux or BSD or another OS that is not actively hostile. Don't just sit there and take everything MS wants to push onto you like a retard, despite not liking it at all. People have prepared actually very strong alternatives, use them.

Are you guys retarded? Why are you trying so hard to avoid progress and updates? Why don't you just keep things up to date for best support and compatibility? You don't have something to hide, do you?

Don't mind that too much.
I'm focusing on Linux available titles, unless i really want something like rise of the tomb raider, skyrim, etc - which are win only.
I'm retroing hard in the past years, FFIX, SNES + Super Gameboy, Mega Drive classics like commix zone, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Toejam & Earl..
tl;dr i'm old, and still trapped in the 90's

> Thanks to their telemetry they know less than 1% of their users pick updates manually. Even on Sup Forums those people are a big minority.
And those 1% picked are mostly things Microsoft wants to push on users, yes.

Like Windows 10 adware shit.

Guess what, even on Linux only like 1% or less of updates gets blocked - the shit someone doesn't want for one or another reason. But it's an important feature anyhow!

> Enterprise has a different way to deal with updates anyway so that doesn't matter.
Buy enterprise if you want any control, goy!

Everyone has something to hide. Anybody who says otherwise is a liar trying to hide something.

Nobody gives a shit, nobody is out to get you, fucking tinfoils

Laugh all you want, but currently we have some pilot programs in place at clients that are very promising. If they aren't a heavy CAD user or the like, their desktop OS is really irrelevant at this point. We're pushing more and more stuff into RD servers anyway because it simplifies management and upgrades.

>Vidya
ignored
>Photoshop
?

Does Microsoft endorse the use of foul language in the shill factory, Pajeet?

I want to hide everything by default.

I have no trust in Microsoft and they do absolutely not need to know anything about me to make an operating system.

Practically anything they want know about me feels like abuse of power on their end, and not a normal business-like relationship.

Such is the nature of this.

>something to hide

it falls under the same logic as TOR which needed a pool of users to conceal the real users which were protected by US intelligence (no relation whatsoever with windows, just a case figure) so you can equate it to concentrating a user base and expanding to blow up the user base under open intelligence and cluster divergent networks, rince and repeat until everyone is on file

The objective and agenda is much larger than purely commercial purposes it's a paradigm shift

just fucking install it holy shit just live your fucking life. you have to opt in to the fucking customer improvement program for telemetry to actually mean anything and only Sup Forums tools actually thinks the thing is fucking sending all of your keystrokes back to them.

its like the fucking idiots who post that webm of the guy using the 'rsa decryptor' to show that windows 10 was taking screenshots of their installers

Literally everyone is out to get our money, and you know that too.

One of the most valuable data collectable is how much you own and all other data to deduce how much you could probably be forced to maximally pay for shit.

Something which you absolutely don't want, but (near-) monopolies like Windows could force you -or your group of people at least, in the form of regional marketing and other shit which is unfortunately not illegal yet- to.

Hell, anything that you have a good degree of dependency on could and increasingly is abused like this, and the difference vs them just making a guess what might work for them is large.

krita is okay
gimp is missing so much quality of life shit that no one would want to really switch (fuck, I use GIMP near daily and there's so much little shit that I miss, like being able to select multiple layers at once)
blender is a clusterfuck (well, so are most 3D packages, blender just has the disadvantage of not being accepted in the field)

man, I wish Plan 9 was any good pretty regular

as a desktop OS, I'm still looking forward to Haiku even though I know that it'll never get anywhere
but it's got a sense of polish to the UI that no Linux distro does, it feels like an actual desktop-oriented system, it's got a sense of consistency to it
it's styled like it came right out of 2002, but that's okay
enjoy the instability and lack of drivers if you give it a go

actually the movement is now before AI is user controlled so AI has an upper hand to recognize what's AI and what's not, you can't predict AI in it's state but deferred usages - virtualization, secretary, friend, family member, AI secretary, it's positioning before concealment is powered by uncontrollable and unrecoverable means

Are you talking about the original DOOM executable? What about source ports like zdoom?

There is way more shit than that.

No, I don't think it's sending keystrokes. But it collects a lot more data, and even turning off what you can turn off is done in a lot more places.

A lot also can't be turned off. Thing phones home regardless if you want it to or not, and it stops you from stopping it by even sysadmin-tier hosts files or firewall rules now.

what the fuck is wrong with your brain

it phones home for windows updates every day and no one seems to care. what the fuck do you actually think its sending back? they dont fucking know you visit Sup Forums every day unless you are dumb enough to use internet explorer and other cloud bullshit all tied together.

take off your tin foil hat, stop trying to fit in here, and fucking grow a brain

>blender is a clusterfuck
Blender is actually pretty damn good as a modeler.

> blender just has the disadvantage of not being accepted in the field
Not true, but it may be the case for your shop. It has been used in quite a lot of commercial productions though.

interesting. why does negative multiplied by negative equate a positive

im fucking doing it Sup Forums
i want out
im giving in to the botnet

Of course they're desperate. They can smell their deaths, and the sound they'll make rattling their cages will serve as a warning to the rest.

Block it at the router, then.

people who have to use a program to try and block egress dont deserve to talk about how they are sticking it to the man in the first aplce

> what the fuck do you actually think its sending back?
Could be just about anything, they put that into the license.

You could do a time-consuming inspection about what it sends this time (there is no real tool to show what it will send this time), but the next update can change it all and you still can't sue them.

> it phones home for windows updates
No. It phones home for "telemetry" - user data collection and reporting and a lot more. Marketing data collection for the purpose of selling it to 3rd parties is also permitted.

> they dont fucking know you visit Sup Forums every day
They probably do collect that data - or will 'cause they have the right to.

In most regards we don't know what is actually sent right now, it's sent encrypted. Nobody has shown data dumps for all the data communicated at date xy. Plus again, they can change it with any update.

Ah yes, if your browser ever OOMs or otherwise crashes you can quite possibly expect that to be sent to MS too, there are error reporting dumps you can't even disable now.

DOOM 1 and DOOM 2. I don't know about zdoom.

what about getting a console for those games, a lot of games are console exclusives or bad console ports anyway.

.thread
this shit is horrendous
and if you manage to view the packets
o muh lawwdy is it every dangerous.

>Vidya
Dude, there's a lot of games coming to linux right now but it's an egg-chicken game in a lot of cases, we just need to show there's demand of games on linux, the following is pasta but relevant:

Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos

I have a Fury X

But that's difficult since Microsoft isn't disclosing or promising for shit what they send and how and across which ports.

So you can't just blacklist port xy and whitelist the port used for the reuquired windows activation traffic - which in itself isn't guaranteed to be just activation only.

They also send to a shitload of IP addresses and ports:
thehackernews.com/2016/02/microsoft-windows10-privacy.html

And no, blacklisting everything and having a desktop OS without any networking on the applications that run under it is not acceptable.

Dual boot Linux.

Also, related pic. Enjoy figuring all that out.

RIP WSUS Offline Updater
System Admins will miss (You)

>Microsoft gives a free upgrade
>People who care about privacy decline it
>Microsoft ends the free upgrade
>Microsoft removes privacy from people who declined the upgrade
>You might just as well upgrade now for the better features and security
>You're gonna have to pay for it
>mfw Microsoft is literally punishing you fags for having declined a free gift
>THEY EVEN GAVE YOU AN EXTRA MONTH TO RENOUNCE YOUR WAYS

FUCKING

REKT

Microsoft is literally punishing privacytards for having stood up to their superior will

Enjoy your shit OS, OP. You're stuck with it until you're willing to dish out the $100-$200 to upgrade it.

yea noticed that, all eye(s) on board

Is it really a gift if it's done at gunpoint?

you weren't forced "at gunpoint", you drama queen, it was just a recommended update.