/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
GSMArena Samsung Galaxy Note7 review
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note7-review-1478.php

BLU teases Pure XR with 4GB of RAM coming on August 29 for $299
gsmarena.com/blu_teases_pure_xr_with_4gb_of_ram_coming_on_august_29_for_299-news-19986.php

LeEco outs Cool 1 Dual phablet with a 13MP dual camera setup
gsmarena.com/leeco_and_coolpad_out_cool_1_dual_phablet_with_a_13mp_dual_camera_setup-news-19982.php

Samsung tipped to launch a 5,000mAh battery phone in India in September
gsmarena.com/samsung_tipped_to_launch_a_5000mah_battery_phone_in_india_in_september-news-19979.php

Intel to start building 10nm ARM-based mobile and IoT chipsets
phonearena.com/news/Intel-to-start-building-10nm-ARM-based-mobile-and-IoT-chipsets_id84194

MKBHD ZTE Axon 7 Review
youtu.be/ptni6tRrU54

Mr Mobile [Micheal Fisher]- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Review
youtu.be/eZSoeqVWdl0

Huawei Honor 8 hands on - a new stylish affordable flagship!
youtube.com/shared?ci=V2byoFPI3dw

ZTE Axon 7 Review: Android Police
youtu.be/a-hVWW-yskM

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k7H9OmV0OPI
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-16/xiaomi-phone-shipments-fall-38-in-china-as-huawei-takes-lead
m.ebay.com/itm/381734353396?rmvSB=true&_mwBanner=1
amazon.com/dp/B01DZJFSZ4/ref=twister_B01G7U1RY4
amazon.com/Moto-Plus-4th-Gen-Unlocked/dp/B01DZJFYLC/
my.mixtape.moe/quucce.mkv
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fuck off makifag

Got my Redmeme Note 3 yesterday. It's my first smartphone so I have nothing else to compare it with but so far it's really nice.

MIUI's pretty cool too. No problems so far.

Good luck buddy:

youtube.com/watch?v=k7H9OmV0OPI

Redmeme users on suicide watch

>prefer very close to stock Android phones
>want Snapdragon 820 tier performance because dat single core performance
>need a reliable daily driver because I'm a professional

My Nexus 6 is dying and I need an upgrade. Is the Oneplus 3 reliable for business use? Most of my peers use Galaxy/iPhones but I dislike them. Also I don't have any real budget and I can't wait for the new HTC Nexus phones.

Need an unlocked phone as well.

Maki a kawaii

A KAWAIII

I mean I knew beforehand that it wasn't the strongest phone around.

i'm not a madman that walks around without a case and tempered glass though.

>Posting Maki
Literally filtered.

daily reminder
> bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-16/xiaomi-phone-shipments-fall-38-in-china-as-huawei-takes-lead

stop shilling this failing company

Where's LeTV?
They make better value devices than xiaomi and have a decent upgrade system. All devices updated to 6.0 even though many shipped with 5.0

OP3 or AX7.

It's falling because they only focused on online sales and barely invested anything in physical stores in China which is a huge market. that's why Huawei and Oppo succeed they have a much better presence in physical stores there.

Nice what version are you running? make sure your'e running the global rom.

>expecting durability in a cheap chinese phone

Kuro, onegai.

Xiaomi failed in Brazil too, and the main reason is what said. Physical stores > internet

>Nice what version are you running? make sure your'e running the global rom.

It is. The phone had 7.3.7.0 and then got an update when I finished setting it up. Now i'm on 7.5.2.0.

is there any good alternative do default android facebook app?

facebook lite

What dual sim phone do you recommend for around 300€ ?

I was thinking about OP2 (no fast/wireless charging is a bummer) or Lumia 950 (>inb4 Win10M. all the apps I need are there and I like the UI)

Is there anything else I should look at?

My smartphone gave up the ghost, and I am thinking about making a smartphone-wifi, dumphone-data/calls combo for the weekdays and smartphone with data for the weekends.

Anyway, are 2nd hand smartphones any good? I can pick a Moto G from Amazon pretty cheap. Everyone upgrades their phones constantly, so I'm reluctant to buying a new one and a bit wary from Chinese stuff.

Hey /spg/, would it be a good idea to get Xperia Z5 for 350EUR?
Or should I get something else for the money?

No, get yourself the Nexus 5x or the Moto G4 plus.

Nexus 5x:
> Good camera in low and normal light
> Good display, much better than the OP2 and Moto G4
> Application performance is the best if you don't consider the ram limit. The OP2 ain't that great with 4GB of ram.
> Not the best battery life. It's behind the Moto G4, the galaxy J5 and the P9 lite, but it beats the OP2.

Source: all info from notebookcheck.net and camera samples with gsmarena and notebookcheck.

At the moment (Belgian prices) the 5x 32gb is about 309EUR, the 16GB version at 278. Moto G4 plus at 266 and Moto G4 at 227.

I just have to admit that the OP2 is extremely outdated and doesn't justify it's price. It would be better at about the 250 range.

Just installed CM12 on my brother's POS Galaxy Grand Prime. After testing it out for a good couple hours I don't think I can ever go back to any other Android skin. Whats the best CM13-supported Android phone that isnt the redmeme note 3?

At the end you have to convince yourself. I just gave you the 4 main benefits of the 5x in each category (camera, display, application and battery). Now you have to convince yourself with the design, as that's something that ain't comparable.

I think I'm going to trade in my Note 2 for the Note 7 once it's available in my country.

Farewell my beloved. This phone is fucking great, even my newer Nexus 5 dies first while this phone is still trucking along healthily.

For people wanting something under $200: m.ebay.com/itm/381734353396?rmvSB=true&_mwBanner=1

Would you have any advice on OnePlus X?

my GF has one. Really nice build and display. Its still capable, but wont probably wont get more updates and camera and battery life are just ok

Is it really safe buying phones from ebay or china? Don't you think it'll be botnetted?

all Chinese phones should be assumed to be botnets. I'm not even kidding.

Not really good with phones, but what do you guys suggest? I live in CA using AT&T. My current phone is Galaxy S3, but it seems like recently its specs aren't holding up that well (everything crashes eventually on and on.)

Is there any Sup Forums related phone that AT&T might have and isn't bloated? Because every fucking recent android phone I see doesn't have a "clear memory" button, either it's doing it when you close something automatically, or doesn't really use that kind of thing.

Also, I guess I can go with a budget of $200 or below.

Why is it praised here then? Is Sup Forums secretly Russian and Chinese botnet shill area?

I'm and I totally agree with him. Camera isn't that great, application performance is meh, battery is okay. Build and design is totally subjective but I have to say that Oneplus did well with the X and 3 in that department.

Cool. next week you'll probably get the MiUi 8 update.

Anything but the windows phone.

>$200
Moto G4.
see chart in

Oh yeah, I was thinking of that, but I don't know if my AT&T has them, I'll check it out.

Is there anything on the market worth buying right now or should I just wait for the newest Nexus phones to drop and buy one of those?

It's unlocked on amazon.
amazon.com/dp/B01DZJFSZ4/ref=twister_B01G7U1RY4

>2GB RAM
Is there a version with more RAM? I can add to my budget a bit, I guess.

Yes but it it's an extra $100 for the 4gb RAM version.
amazon.com/Moto-Plus-4th-Gen-Unlocked/dp/B01DZJFYLC/

Oh nice, thanks, I like the 64GB and + 4GB RAM for $300. Does that mean it'll be 6GB RAM?

I'll save up for this baby, I just hope that the battery is replaceable so I can buy extra ones. I like it even supports microSD cards.

The last thing I wanna ask, since it's carrier friendly, will my current sim card fit in it from my galaxy s3? Or do I have to go to an AT&T store to get a new one that suits for the G4?

Do you think this is a good upgrade from the galaxy s3?

>Does that mean it'll be 6GB RAM?
What? no, it's 4GB RAM and 64GB ROM.

>I just hope that the battery is replaceable
Battery is non-removable as with most smartphones today.

>ill my current sim card fit in it from my galaxy s3
Both are micro-sim so it should fit and work.

>Do you think this is a good upgrade from the galaxy s3?
Any modern smartphone will be a good upgrade from an S3 honestly.
For $300 SD617 is a little underpowered but should be enough for casual use.

>ebay
Read who the seller is
>About the Seller: Newegg (665292), 99.0% Positive Feedback

Alright, I was looking more into it, turns out to put a piece of paper in front of the front facing camera, I have to remove the motherboard.

How do you close the front camera easier?

dafuq are you talking about?

Because smartphone/desktop spec threads are for consumerist shills and tinfoil security/Linux distro threads are for neckbeard NEETs.

and yes, these two groups do intersect.

I blocked my front camera with a piece of small paper that I inserted between the glass and camera of galaxy s3. Doing the same for the moto g4 is more steps.

lol

What, do you want people to watch your face 24/7?

this has to be bait

No, I'm serious.

I don't think Android phones are for you, pal

What should I get then?

I dunno, a campfire and a blanket? Tin cans and string? Physically blocking the camera won't stop Google knowing what you're up to

Why do you degenerates like anime? It encourages whites to racemix with japanese as a form of white genocide. Plus weebs are NEET cucks

>Trappy-chan will never come back ;_;

Is there a new big battery phone at the block? Any news about the k6000premium? Or should I just get a v10 with extended battery 420€..? The housefire can't be worse than my HTC m7, but the price could be better...

The redmi pro with the x25 doesnt look bad but how are the chances to get cm on a mediatek processor?
Import costs will push the price up to a 70€ difference between this and the v10 (excluding the battery) so it doesn't look worth getting chink software support.

I mean I know that google still exists even after blocking the camera, but I don't know if I found any phone that isn't google.

I used to have a Razr before, but man everything has changed.

I accept that I cannot escape from google itself, but at least blocking a camera is a step forward. I don't know about you, but it feels kinda awkward to me having a camera starring at me all the time I'm using the phone.

Wonder why did Fisher left pocket now

lel just put some tape on the front camera or something. google or the NSA doesn't care about looking at your face 24/7 m8.

Nobody cares what you look like or who you are, you're paranoid.

Just don't bend it?

Poke out the microphone dot until it broke up
While at it tear out the speakers, they're listening through there as well
Don't forget to take it apart and crack the GPS radio too

I know I know, I just feel uncomfortable and am camera shy, I guess I'll do that.

Hey buddies. I broke my Nexus 5's screen.
Where do I buy the parts and how do I repair it?

Why spend that much money to do that? Just get a regular phone instead.

>paying google to take your information to give you ads

It's okay to be camera shy but there's no reason to be afraid of your own phones camera man.

What about when you're in the shitter and your front camera starts making fun of you?

I just squat on the seat and show Google and GCHQ my anus and start declaring myself a member of the Islamic State. At the very least I'll be on Russell Howard's shit TV show

And what about the rear camera? It might even reveal much more sensitive data to whoever than just your pale wobbly face. The thing is once you pick up a smartphone you have to accept a big dick in your ass. Blocking your front cam and feeling slightly better is really just snake oil

I hold my phone in a way that my index finger always goes to block the front camera.

I mean the rear camera.

You are going to give me a hernia

Aren't you torturing yourself by buying a device you have so mamy trust issues with?

Not him, but I put black electric tape over both front and rear cameras and disabled it in settings by denying camera permissions to all apps. Feels good google and the NSA can't use my camera to record my every move

Not worth.
Did it and I broke after two months again out of nowhere.

What can you do but give in though? Phones that respect your freedoms are getting less and less.

There's always Blackberry.

Oh yeah, but will Sup Forums suggest any of them though?

No but most of Sup Forums has accepted the botnet as a necessity and so should you.

Damn, where did everything go wrong?

Shut up.

Bumping while this thread is active

You want shit battery life and non expandable storage for updates? Sounds like an iPhone.
Safe something for the upcoming v20 or anything on the market.

N E X U S 6P

Note 7
Accept no substitutes

What would be considered a good substitute coming back to android from Lumia 1520?
I really really love the camera.

I did a factory data reset on my ZTE Grand X3 running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.

Now it's forever stuck on "checking connection".
What do?

got a s7 edge. am i cool?

I'll try again.
I want to upgrade to a midrange Android, I wanted one that could play 1080p 10 bit HEVC videos, I'm looking at Zenfone 3 with Snapdragon 625. Any of you, even you don't have a 625 snapdragon, could test if you can run a full hd HEVC video and if it runs Hardware accelerated? Here is a sample if you don't have one:
my.mixtape.moe/quucce.mkv

Also, any decent midrange 5-5.5" that still allows you to swap batteries?

My chinkphone arrived! (Cubot Note S)

No, you are edgy.

anal sex with maki

You're retarded

Well, how is it? post your impressions. also crosspost to /csg/

Shouldn't have bought chinkshit.

>OP3
>mediocre screen compared to mid-tier phone like the 5x
>bottom speakers are p bad
>post 12-months with this phone, unpredictable and might go to shit

These are my gripes with this phone. Other than that, it's pretty damn good.
Any chance the Next HTC Nexus will fix these problems? And if so, will it be under the $450 price tag?

Ok so I'm using my dad's iPhone 4S while I wait for phone that is as great as the nexus 5.

1) What are some cool things to do with the 4S? Hasn't been updated since the first year it came out I think

2) What's a superior sequel to the Nexus 5? That's all the power I need in a phone.

Is that Maki?

>Hardcore/power phone user
>heavy media consumption almost every day (no games though fuck that)
>should be lag less, not even stutter if possible
>android or IOS does not matter
> price does not matter
>screen should he big
>should last me atleast a year without starting to lag

Suggestions?

OP3 / Samsung Edge S7

Only good options until the new Nexus comes out senpai

I was really looking forward to the new nexus devices.
And I'm kinda doubting Samsung. I mean their hardware is top notch but I've owned both an s3 and s4 and watched them slowly turning into trash in one year of usage. Did they improve and is the note 7 worth a consideration?

With nexus I've no worries about the software I guess.
I hope the bigger model looks better than the one that got leaked

There's literally no other alternative to the Note 7

retarded fa/g/gots only care about specs. They see a sub $200 phone with a SD650 and 3gb of ram and assume it's gonna be great because those specs are usually on $400 phones. What they fail to mention is the UI is shit, the camera is shit, the build quality is shit, warranty is shit, and your info is definitely being mined by chinese. Never fall for the chinkphone meme. Ever.