Official retro Sup Forums thread

Official retro Sup Forums thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BaTjwo1ywcI
ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-II-Mouse-Interface-Card-670-0030-ship-world-wide-/162154769709?hash=item25c12d6d2d:g:3-0AAOSwRoxXnrmJ
youtube.com/watch?v=qurQurIWJrA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't you mean... Vaper-ware? :^)

My post is in the post

Doco on the last days of Commodore
youtube.com/watch?v=BaTjwo1ywcI

bump

>Luddite general

Consumerist whore

Can I upgrade my Commodore to use a modern CPU?

Yeah, there should be some screws that open the case. You want to rip all the guts out, burn/crush them so nobody can steal your data, then put in a new mobo.

My Apple //e using lynx.

1351 mouse. These are pretty hard to find for a good price, not because they're unusually rare, but everybody wants one. Also as I understand, they do not work at all on the VIC-20 because of relying on the SID's A/D converter to operate. It won't fry anything if you plug one in, but the computer can't pick up any signal from the mouse.

Using Arch.

Tried GEOS for the Apple II? You would need a mouse though.

Come back when you have Leisure Suit Larry running on that thing.

Using aview (with a photo of Steve Wozniak).

No, I haven't. I'll have to check that out. Thanks user!

Also, I don't have a mouse at the moment, but for most Apple ][ programs with a GUI, you can use the tab button to select.

I think a mouse is required for GEOS though.

poorfag

Okay, then I'll try to buy one.

It uses DHGR mode and I think you're supposed to run it on a monochrome monitor because a color display would fill everything with nasty artifacts.

ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Apple-II-Mouse-Interface-Card-670-0030-ship-world-wide-/162154769709?hash=item25c12d6d2d:g:3-0AAOSwRoxXnrmJ

The mouse card for the Apple II is easy enough to find, the mouse itself is much harder.

I also could not find the GEOS disks on Ebay, but I imagine the Apple version is less common than the C64 one especially since it was bundled with them from 1987 onward.

There was also a GIF viewer program for the Apple II.

that wasn't even on the Apple II, was it?

It is on the Apple II, it uses DHGR mode and requires a IIe or IIc. Runs at a snail's pace and has no sound. I'm not even sure if you can find the disk image online. You may need to scour Ebay for an original copy and make a dump of that.

my battlestation

My Apple IIc loading Sup Forums

Apple //c

Goy.

My entertainment center

bst360webm

When the IIc came out in 1984, Apple had hoped it would become the mainstay of the Apple II line due to its lower manufacturing cost, but ultimately the IIe and its expandability carried the day.

Who else can't wait for Season 3?

>having a Sharp when you can buy a Sony PVM for $50
For what purpose?

I own a NEC broadcast monitor with rgb inputs, but I use that with my Amiga
I think the only reason I use my 80s Sharp is because "muh aesthetics"

Why use old bad tech when newer better tech exists?

"In 1979, Ken and Roberta Williams were a young married couple in Southern California, in most regards no different from most people in their demographic. Ken wrote business software in Los Angeles while Roberta was a stay-at-home housewife. The personal computer industry was just beginning; it had been four years since the Altair 8800. The Williamses purchased an Apple II and enjoyed playing adventure games on it. However, they soon came to ask the obvious question--why can't an adventure game have pictures instead of just text? The solution was to make their own game of course. Ken Williams coded it in the evenings after work and the end result, dubbed Mystery House, was sold via mail order in Zip-Lok baggies. The couple were astonished at how many people bought the game."

"Within a year of Mystery House, Ken and Roberta Williams were masters of their own software house, Online Systems, soon to be renamed Sierra Online. Within two years, they were celebrities. Computer magazines and non-computer ones as well lined up to interview the Williamses and as the young company grew, its staff began mushrooming with the addition of programmers, graphic artists, tech support personnel, and everything else needed for a full-fledged software house. Entertainment moguls met with them and even offered to buy out Sierra entirely. Ken Williams was astonished as Disney, Children's Television Workshop, Steven Spielberg, and others requested computer games based on their franchises. By 1982, Sierra moved to a spacious new headquarters, needed as the company soon had over 100 employees, and the Williamses treated themselves to an $800,000 home on the Fresno River."

"The video game and personal computer businesses were booming in 1982 and there was a voracious demand for computer games on the Apple II, VIC-20, TRS-80, and other home computer platforms. Ken Williams made plans for at least 100 separate products in 1983 alone."

"Yet as 1983 unfolded, there was trouble on the horizon. Sierra's latest adventure game was The Dark Crystal, based on the Jim Henson movie of the same name, which debuted to less-than-favorable reviews. The game was criticized for the same old stale design as previous Sierra adventures, with little in the way of gameplay design or improvement over 1980's The Wizard and the Princess. Computer technology was evolving quickly and a three year old game engine wasn't cutting it. Even worse, Infocom were making a name for themselves with the very thing Sierra built their reputation on opposing, which were old-fashioned text adventures. Infocom's games lacked graphics, but had a more sophisticated parser than Sierra's Hi-Res game engine, better puzzles, and more intellectual-minded stories rather than Sierra's rather cartoonish games. The success of Infocom caused a revival of text adventures and many game devs began to feel that graphics were an unnecessary expense that added nothing to gameplay and needlessly complicated the process of porting across different platforms."

"Also during 1983, the Commodore 64 was becoming the go-to platform for computer games and Sierra had nothing to offer on it but a few ports of their VIC-20 titles. As one other troubling factor, Sierra increasingly began to rely on the cartridge format for the Atari 800, C64, and VIC-20. Cartridges were expensive to manufacture against disk or tape software and all the facilities that manufactured cartridges were booked for months, meaning any Sierra titles released on cartridge likely would not get to stores until late in the year. It was also less than comforting to think that the most successful Sierra game released in 1983 was not one of the company's own products, but a port of the arcade game Frogger."

"As things stood, Sierra had spent months and large amounts of money on two Hi-Res adventures, Time Zone, and The Dark Crystal, both of which bombed. And then, late in 1983, the video game and personal computer markets started collapsing like a ton of bricks, leaving Sierra saddled with a ton of unsellable cartridge games. Ken Williams had to cut loose all but 20 employees and renegotiate the rent with his landlord on Sierra's headquarters, which amounted to $25,000 a month."

"Early in the year, an intriguing new development happened when IBM came to Sierra and announced that they had a new personal computer in the works and wanted a game as a demonstrator product. Ken Williams was not completely surprised as this wasn't his first dealing with Big Blue. Back in 1981, when the IBM PC came out, they had done likewise, in this case commissioned a port of The Wizard and the Princess. Sierra were subjected to the usual IBM secrecy which included signing nondisclosure agreements and receiving computer hardware in lead-lined, sealed cases which all had to be set up and used in windowless rooms with the doors locked at all times. The port of the game, renamed Adventure in Serenia, came out eventually in 1982."

It's a hobby. Why just get something that "just werks", when you can fuck around with ancient hardware, pull your hair out configuring hard drive settings, mess with undocumented software, get lead poisoning from all the soldering, and get asthma from all the dust.

But in the end, after all that work, you can celebrate religiously when you first see a prompt glow on the phosphor

also
>bad old tech
my Apple IIc from 1984 is still kicking while all the asus/dell computers I've used through the years have all died

why do people say vaporware? does no one know that it is completely different from vapor wave?

How the fuck did you get Internet and Linux on a computer this old.

It's acting as a dumb terminal

I have a feeling it's purely a pun

And here I got all excited.

I miss my AT

"IBM officials urged Sierra to go one step further with the game they were developing on the PCjr. Just doing yet another Hi-Res text adventure was not going to cut it. IBM wanted a more sophisticated game engine and also for the game to have replayability, something that had not been a hallmark of Roberta Williams's game designs up to this point. The development of King's Quest cost over $800,000 and required seven full-time programmers working for months, the biggest and most ambitious computer game developed so far. Early in 1983, for the second time, delivery vans arrived outside Sierra's offices with a shipment of top-secret gear. However, Coarsegold was a small town and news traveled quickly. The rumors soon spread that IBM were back in town."

"With 128k of memory, 16 color graphics, and 3-voice sound, the new PCjr offered gaming possibilities that well exceeded those of the Apple II and allowed for the first time an adventure game with animated characters and backgrounds instead of static pictures. At the end of 1983, IBM unveiled the PCjr to the public. Its oddball design including a chicklet keyboard as well as a lack of compatibility with most IBM PC hardware and software were surprising and confusing to many, including Ken Williams himself. After all, during the entire development of King's Quest, Sierra had never had access to a production model PCjr, only prototypes, and like everyone else, Ken Williams had to go out and buy one himself at ComputerLand. Ken then went to see a movie and left the computer in the back seat of his car, only to come back and find it had been stolen. It seemed an ill omen."

"As the winter gave way to the spring of 1984, it became more and more obvious that the PCjr was not going to be a marketplace success, which in turn meant that King's Quest wasn't either. Sierra had staked a major chunk of company resources on a dud of a computer. Although King's Quest sold fairly respectably, there just weren't enough PCjr owners around to make it a viable, profitable piece of software. Sierra had also developed a port for the regular IBM PC, but that was not faring terribly well either as a large majority of IBM PCs were office computers. Not many home users could afford a $4000 machine and the market for games on the PC was small. Of the other major home platforms out at the time, none of them were suitable for King's Quest. The Apple II, Commodore 64, and Atari 800XL all had 64k of memory, not enough for the AGI game engine which needed 128k."

"However, luck soon came around when Apple announced the 128k Apple IIc, which also sported standard 16 color graphics. In addition, an expansion board added these capabilities to the Apple IIe, which made it possible for the AGI engine to be ported to the Apple II line. The real turnaround however came when Tandy announced its entry into the IBM compatible market."

get out

bump

Are sleeper builds welcome?

Yeah, aside from The Dark Crystal, Sierra had also laid a huge egg with Time Zone, a six disk monstrosity (almost 2MB worth of game) that cost over $100.

I'm looking forward to it, but season 1 (engineer gordo being cool) was better than season 2 (muh stronk wymyn).

Time Zone is on Asimov if you want to try it.

What's it called?

It is acting as a dumb terminal in this image, but it also has a custom on-board Uthernet II card, which I use with the Contiki Web browser, telnet server, and IRC. (Though it doesn't support HTTPS.)

>kernal

Sierra supposedly claimed that Time Zone would take the average player a year to finish, however Roe Adams, a reviewer for Softalk Magazine, completed it in one week, apparently by averaging 3 hours of sleep a night.

I might just get Apple II Desktop, since it's similar to Mac OS.

Even more absurdly, Sierra also decided that each one of Time Zone's 1300 screens have its own unique picture. The unfortunate task of drawing them fell to Terry Pierce, an 18 year old kid they hired straight out of the local high school. Pierce was practically reduced to tears from the strain, but kept working all day and night almost without sleep to finish the job.

Apple II Desktop is really just a GUI overlay for ProDOS rather than a full-fledged OS like GEOS.

I don't see any mlp in that photo.

only some /trash/

AFAIK most Apple DHGR games have almost no sound.

youtube.com/watch?v=qurQurIWJrA

Toasting in a retro bread

bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap bap BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

biep

kek

Anyone know where I can buy an Amiga for a decent price?

Just keep your eyes open and also hope you have lots of luck.

Dick status: muh

I just realized what my computer is missing, a cute cloth on top of my desk.

I just realized what my cute cloth on top of my desk is missing, a computer.

It's still way cheaper to get one then the original retail prices where, I'd say perfect time would be 2002.

I don't remember anything special happening in 2002.

So you aren't using the apple ll, you are just using the monitor?

Just thinking back, I remember seeing lots of them for sale in thrift stores around that time for like a few bucks, early to late 2000's was probably the time you could get them easily, nowadays most are already in someone's greasy mits who don't sell theirs, the prices will only go up from now on.

Has anyone here ever tried to polish any of the early to mid 2000s macs with brasso or a similar product? I have an iBook G3 that has a pretty scuffed up surface that I want to get rid of, and I saw people using brasso to remove scratches from turntable dust covers, so I assume that it could work.

It's running as a dumb terminal, it's using the I/O of the Apple //e.

Back in the day telnet, MUDs and BBSes worked the same way, just over telnet, that's also what you mostly used them for with a modem.

Got any furry pron on that apple llc?

Never tried it but it might work, I will have to try myself sometimes too.

Somebody had a picture of a C64 with a terminal setup like that, but it's a little trickier there as you need an RS-232 -> user port adapter.

Pretty neet, what is some cool stuff you can do with that besides browse Sup Forums?

Basically run any text mode applications of the host system what support the screen character wight/height.

>posting an stationary image
>not a gif or webm

>it's a dip you meme

>it's a DIP you dip

It's a PID you dip

Nice!

I've never in my life seen an Amiga in any thrift store. Oddly I've only ever seen a C64 once in one of those and it was actually the early silver label model. Apple IIs I've seen a bunch of times.

Kek, I remember Atari recreating the boing ball for the ST, unironically missing the whole point of it, not only did it not run as smooth, but the system was just busy doing that, could not do anything else at the same time.

I live in Yurop, that's probably why.

>>>/reddit/

Not as retro but still somewhat old.
I have a Ham radio from 1978 if that's of any interest.

Kek, you can see how much effort he put into it

>waaah stop liking what I don't like

We get it, you figured out how to load a terminal emulator. Jesus.