Diskfiltration

Where were you when HDDs became a security threat, just by their sound patterns?

German Article: m.heise.de/security/meldung/Das-Schnurren-einer-Festplatte-verraet-Geheimnisse-3295965.html
Another in english: timesofisrael.com/hard-drive-noises-could-betray-sensitive-data-says-bgu-team/

>pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QEzhxP-pdos
reddit.com/r/pics/comments/2ouq3e/shaggy_the_pirate_bays_cofounder/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I thought \g\ hates women. Fucking liars..

No, you're right.

>requires malware to be installed
oh look it's fucking nothing

who's the cock tease cockatrice?

>147 KB for that garbage
Learn to JPG properly, faggot.

:^)

youtu.be/QEzhxP-pdos

>he doesn't use his computer in a anechoic chamber with 10cm thick lead walls
pleb

Let's all love Lain

I hate they way they act but i love the way they look.

>Cognitive dissonance

I, too, browse Reddit :^)
reddit.com/r/pics/comments/2ouq3e/shaggy_the_pirate_bays_cofounder/

Doesn't affect my ssds. Sauce on chick?

Sauce: Sup Forums

>HDD
Thank God I feel for the SSD meme.

>\g\

>timeofisrael.com

what did you expect

It's Sup Forums with a beard

That's a fucktoy, not a woman.

>Air gapped
>Malware needed
>Smartphone at least 2 m near the HDD

This applies to nobody here. What a shitpost.

>that dildo in the background

This. If they were able to install malware then this attack vector is retarded.

Still gives a basis for future progress in that field up to a point where just picking up sound patterns may reveal sensitive data.
>not seeing the big picture

>video showing phone "capturing" data via sound
>doesn't show what the data is
>comments are disabled
>doesn't even show that the computer is on
>doesn't explain anything
>timesofisrael.com

It actually applies to data centers.

>tech uses an infected thumb drive
>tech carries a cell phone because he's a normie
>malware clicks away the 128 bits of the key
>everything is fucked

It's obviously very impractical but it has nich applications.

It doesn't work without the malware and never will. They used it to create specific audio patterns.

After stuxnet how is this lax physical security still so acceptable.

>airgapped computer
yeah good luck connecting to your c&c server on it

>It actually applies to data centers.

Too bad data centers require HDDs because relying on SSDs for anything beyond caching is too risky due to their electrical and software vulnerability.
If this was another idiotic apples and oranges article trying to be biased between two completely different storage methods, then the only thing they have outlined is their lack of bran cells.

sauce?

can't remember was last year when read about it

But in a data center there are like hundreds of HDDs clicking away all around you.

Usually, tech site "journalists" tend to be the kind of idiots who watched too much CSI and shit, and think the sound of individual HDDs can be isolated like you can zoom in on a man's eyes and see the reflection of a killer in them with cybermagic.

>blowing shit out of proportion
it's just using hard drive sound to send data from PC A(not connected to the internet, trusted, infected with malware to control the HDD behaviour to emit specific sounds) to PC/phone/whatever B(which the attacker has full control over).
it's pretty specific and quite niche

>airgapped
I said nothing about airgapping. If you were able to get malware on the machine in the first place you have access to it. There's literally no reason to start listening for passwords at

>I said nothing about airgapping. If you were able to get malware on the machine in the first place you have access to it.
no, not always.

That's to say nothing of the fact that a real datacenter sounds like a million vacuum cleaners running in unison. You'd be lucky to isolate the sound of your own voice.

In what situation would you have the ability to infect a machine and not have access?

infected hardware(you don't have access to the computer, but you have access to a USB stick that gets plugged into a computer once or you can intercept it.
infected CDs or other installation media.
infected data from the internet(intercepted) [which then get moved to the air-gapped system by usb-stick/cd/whatever].
This is about military/government agencies/industry secrets, not your everyday business.

>This is about military/government agencies/industry secrets, not your everyday business.
Electronic devices are not allowed in high security areas. Anyone with a basic computer security background knows this.

In the cases where malware was installed: the malware is on the computer, you have access through the malware.

Are you really that retarded? Did you even read this guy's post? The machine has ABSOLUTELY NO FUCKING NETWORK CONNECTION.

HOW THE FUCK DOES YOU MALWARE GIVE ACCESS YOU DUMB UNEDUCATED LITTLE BITCH?

>HOW THE FUCK DOES YOU MALWARE GIVE ACCESS YOU DUMB UNEDUCATED LITTLE BITCH?
In situations where the computer is air-gapped this method is useless. Like I said, high security environments do not allow devices in. Technically this would include thumb drives but I'm playing along with your dumbass little fantasy. Fucking hell, learn something about security before talking out of your ass.

We'll take your fantasy just a bit further: you somehow manage to sneak a thumb drive past security (which would include a pat down and metal detector at minimum in a high security environment). You plug it into the machine and record your data to NOTHING because you didn't sneak your phone in (there is no way they wouldn't find it). You COULD have just used malware that would have copied to the USB drive you brought in.

Even if you did somehow manage to get the phone in (which wouldn't happen) you would have to get back out with it and the data. To retrieve the data, the phone has to be sitting on the surface because otherwise there is too much interference for it to pick up on. Someone would notice you setting your fucking phone on the table next to the infected computer.