/hpg/ - headphone general

-- PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE --

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub (embed)

Noise isolation ≠ Noise cancellation

If you dislike a suggestion, try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked instead of going "hurr, x sucks"

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190&cm_re=Philips_SHP9500-_-26-138-190-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Don't you have any other headphone images?

It has to be wireless and black to trigger the regular op

So far I'll leaning towards a mod mic with a expensive pair of headphones. Anyone got anything better?

Repostan in hopes of getting more suggestions.

What's a DAP with a nice and fast interface?
I've got a second gen X3 and scrolling is too slow. I plan on putting about 7000 files and I would kill myself if I had to find something on the X3.

I was thinking of one of the "cheap" A&Ks or the X7.

Reposting, no idea why I got bitched out the last thread.

Cheapest Bluetooth earphones that don't sound like shit? I'm tired of wires fraying.

I got a cheap USB soundcard and was saw an option for automatic gain control.

Do I care about this/should I use it?

>Budget
£100 max
>Location
UK
>Source
PC
>Open or closed
Semi-open - open
>Comfort level
Over ear, quite comfy as long as it doesn't hurt from long periods of use

> budget
$100
>location
Canada
>source
LG G3 or Computer
>preferred type
open
>comfort level
comfy
>preferred tonal balance
neutral
>past headphones
sennheiser hd120 (rebranded as rs120 now)

I was looking at these because it seems like a really good price newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826138190&cm_re=Philips_SHP9500-_-26-138-190-_-Product

Just got a new HD600 for 300€. Did I do good ? I wanted something with high fidelity

Welp, Sup Forums is dead. Time to move to reddit

Don't worry, these are very good headphones. In case you don't like their sound, you can return them.

headphone general isn't active at 10am, shit better move to reddot bois

I'd say this is pretty average. A thread would normally take 2-3 days to reach bump limit.
Threads with dedicated shitposting, apart from the usual, hit it faster. The past few died within a day because of wireless posting. Another time includes the Belgian shitposter thing.

Good thing wireless is out of the op so we can stay on topic ;-)
No, but seriously, let's try not to derail this thread too

to late its already been derailed.

Not like you could buy anything with better fidelity.

This is the state of the headphone hobby, a headphone from the early 90s is just destroying all these new FOTM meme headphones.

hd558

costs 200 bucks in canada

SR850.

I've been looking at Sennheiser 558's and 598's , they would be mainly used for gaming [games like CSGO, as well as all kinds of RPG's, [so both competitive and single player] (80%), 20% music.

I've heard that these do not have a lot of bass and lack the ''oomph'' from explosion s n shit.

Anyone here with these cans could be able to share their experience with them? Should I search for something else?

Budget is up to 150 eur ~.

Mod mic probably sounds better, I've only recently got a Vmoda boom pro mic. Loving it so far.

Didn't like the fact that you need to glue a magnet to your headphones especially if you own more than one pair.

Downside to the boom pro is that you need a 3.5mm female socket on your headphones for it to work. And there is no wind sock on it so it picks up you breathing into it.

You can both mute mic with a switch on one side and adjust volume with a rotating dial on the other side of the clip which I find quite handy.

Not sure if mod mic has a volume adjust dial but it seems from your pic that you can at least mute/unmute.

I've owned both and the V-Moda sounds much better.
Also after a year or so my V-Moda's volume knob and mute switch no longer function...

>Also after a year or so my V-Moda's volume knob and mute switch no longer function
shit that sucks, thanks for the heads up.

How did it fail? did the dial or switch get stuck? or some solder connection on the inside break after heavy use?

Please don't crosspost. Either stay where you belong "Reddit" or stay here.

Be wary of the SPH9500's. If you're not willing to give some effort to them, they're somewhat competent, and good value.

The sound quality and fidelity on the SPH9500's is fine. But,

They are insanely uncomfortable, and lack somewhat in bass. IMO the 598's have better, tighter bass than the 9500's. The matereal used for the earpads is oddly prickly and scratchy. Its similar to a kind of hemp material. If you have facial hair its even worse. Its quite irritating. It's even more horrendous with stubble. The pads aren't as breathable as I'd like though either. The headband is pretty alright tho.

If you figure out how to change the pads to something much more comfortable, and slightly EQ them, they'd likely be quite comparable to some ~$200 headphones.

That Z Pantera guy has talked a lot of hype behind them, so they're often falsley idealised on leddt. I find other forums are a lot more sensible.

The problem is that the SPH9500's cost 75 bucks while the hd 598 cost 250 bucks. I think I will wait till I have more money to invest in better headphones because my hd120's are serving me fine and like the wirelessness. My roommate actually has a pair of hd598 that he bought because of my recommendation and I like them a lot so I will probably save for a pair of those or maybe something slightly better.

>They are insanely uncomfortable
They're the most comfortable pair of headphones I have ever used and I could wear them for 200 hours straight if I had to. The comfort must vary from person to person because they're great for me.

I wasn't trying to compare them to the 598's economically. Just as a reference point, since they have somewhat similar sound curves.

That said, if you like 598s, get the 558's and modify them. Its pretty well know that they're nearly unidentifiable in terms of sounds. Build quality, and comfort depending if you like the 598 headband or not, and the glorious creamy aesthetic won't be quite as good, but pricing in comparison is somewhat a midpoint between the 9500's and the 598's, for virtually the same sound as the latter. Plenty of modification guides all over the place.

Though according to below, the comfort of the 9500's may be more personal preference. If you get the opportunity to try them out in a store. I assume you're in the US, so I'd say most stores would let you trial them or return them if unsatisfied.

I guess that yeah it may be more personal. Probably based a lot on skin and hair I imagine. I only got to experience like 2-3 hours of them at a mate's house, yet I couldn't wear them non-stop without seriously irritated.

>Its pretty well know that they're nearly unidentifiable in terms of sounds.
fuck
meant to say
"Its pretty well know that they're nearly unidentifiable in terms of sound difference."

Not sure if you can get it over there, but massdrop has the AKG M220 for 50 bucks which, as far as i know, is just another name for the K240.
Is the Philips L2 too expensive there? It's a very good semi-open if you preffer a warm signature.
And of course, HD558 shouldn't be to expensive too.
imho if it's for competitive gaming a headphone that doesn't has a lot of bass is not a bad idea since it won't mask footsteps and such.
AD900X is pretty good in this aspect, but some don't like it because of the light bass, if that's your case you will probably enjoy the HD558 more.
Being wanting one of those for quite some time now, would work great with the L2.
Agreed, HD558 is the way to go if you want the HD598 sound,

why di DT990, dt in general stop getting recommend

The pleather on my m50x headband is starting to crack/split open where it sits on my head. Wat do? I love these headphones.

They're not that great of a headphone, so replace them if they get too fucked. You can probably use an adhesive to fix it though.

I tested them against much more pricey headphones which were better of course but not drastically better enough to justify their much higher price points. I'd like to keep these as long as physically possible.

>gould's later goldberg variations recording
>not the original

user, I....

I just got the 7506s

Did I fuck up

They'll arrive tomorrow

Nah, you did good.

>7506s
They're pretty good for the price point.

> budget
$150 but preferably less
>location
USA
>source
Phone (LG G5) and Sansa Clip
>preferred type
IEM
>comfort level
need to be able to wear them for 2-3 hours at a time
>preferred tonal balance
neutral
>past headphones
ATH M50, Hifiman HE-400, Modded Fostex T50RP, Westone W10. I like the surgical detail and bass extension in the HE-400 and the neutral signature of the T50RP.

I need some new IEMs, my Westones got stolen and I've been using my old M50s but I don't like using them in public because bulk and inconvenience.

Removable cable is a must. Been leaning toward the Shure SE215 but I'd like to hear if I should be looking at anything else. I'd get another pair of Westones but they're a bit out of my price range at the moment.

>Budget
$250
>Location
AUS
>Source
PC, Redmi note 3 Pro occasionally.
>Open or closed
open OR Semi-open
>Comfort level
Over ear, quite comfy as long as it doesn't hurt from long periods of use
>preferred tonal balance
neutral
>past headphones
sennheiser hd428, Dre Beats Solo HD (They were a gift, don't laugh)

Just ordered the Senn. HD 650s. Whoever has these, what are your impressions of them?

>Budget
No more than $30 preferably
>Location
Houston, Texas area in US
>Source
Phone (Nexus 5X, if it matters)
>Preferred type of headphone
IEMs
>Open or closed
>IEMs
>Comfort level
This is my second most important quality after sound wuality. If it has a good and comfy gel-like ear piece as well as decent sound quality then I'm sold
>Preferred tonal balance
Honestly don't know
>Past headphones
HD 202 and some shitty headphones that comr with new phones

Can provide any other information if needed and if the budget isn't disable I can be more lenient.

Thanks.

>if the budget isn't disable
doable* shit

Someone try and prove to me why the o2 sounds better than the fiio e10k with the hd600's.

I'm comparing both and it's incredibly hard to tell, i'm 95% sure they sound exactly the same with these headphones. I'm leaning towards selling the o2 because it's a massive waste of money if the e10k is doing the exact same job. Not to mention it's usb only and doesnt need a power lead.

I'm talking about specifically with the hd600's. Which are clearly easy to drive.

The second best headphone i've ever tried. The best is the hd600.

You got the wrong ones and i'm not even joking. However what you don't know wont hurt you and the 650's are fantastic anyway.

I respect your honest opinion. However I have plenty of referencing headphones that are broken in, and I was looking for a pair of headphones that are more casually enjoyable with more bass than typical reference cans.

I tried the 650's from aamzon so I could easily send them back a few weeks ago and honestly, the bass difference is tiny, which was dissapointing because I was hoping they'd be a bassier version of the 600. Technically they are I guess but the vocals and everything just don't sound as good as the 600's and like I said the extra bass is tiny.

If you've never tried the 600's before you should try them. They're referance but they don't sound flat and harsh like 702's for example (which are also great headphones). They're slightly warm and enjoyable for rap music, films and gaming etc.

Comfy, light, very pleasing sound and even more so if you bring the midbass down and sub bass up with an equalizer. Hard not to like them imo but the tonality is a bit too thick and warm without the aforementioned EQ.

Soundmagic E10
Piston 3
Zircons
KZ ATE

Nah...fuck the hd600s. If I went full meme by choosing the 650s of them, fine. Call me the meme appropriator.

Sennheiser 598.
Thoughts?
Opinions?
Memes?
160 eur.

for games/casual music

ok, good luck

Cheapest DAC/Amp solution without any bonus features? What i'm looking for is the simplest, fool-proof solution to obtaining the best quality audio from my pc. I currently have the Scarlett 2i2, but its breaking after years of use.

fiio e10k

You really took it personally. Sad.

Are the m50x a decent all rounder for all genres like electronic over ear closed back headphones?

e10k. It's a tiny well built unit. Neutral sounding too.

I don't know, i feel a certain violence on the original that just doesn't appeal as much to me, i know, hard to be more subjective than that, but still...

Can someone please tell me what an IEM is?
It would be nice if it was in the pastebin

They are alright, but usually over priced, there are better options.

Inner
Ear
Monitor.

They are shit.

IEM

In Ear Monitor

It goes in your ear canal. Earbuds are shit and kinda flop around the outer part of your ear

They are decent, but $160 is too much

If you like electronic, just get DT770s

Agreed.

What kind of sound balance should I look for in a gaming headphone?

Hi, hello /hpg/!
>budget
$100 CAD ($78 USD) max!
>location
Canada!
>source
PC/cellphone!
>preferred type
Full sized!
>Open or closed
Closed please!
>comfort level
Equal to sound quality! Both are equally important to me!
>Preferred tonal balance
Probably balanced since I listen to all sorts of stuff.
>Past headphones
I used the Bose triport, and it has served me well but now the foam is coming out of the pads and is falling apart now. The only complaint I had is that it isn't that aesthetically pleasing to me.

Thanks for any advice you can provide!

I dislike them but I know many who like their sound signature.

Anything you like and if you don't know what you like, maybe audition some. There isn't a correct answer to this. I'd go with neutral - as always.

What about something with monitor/sub outputs and 1 input for the ocassional recording?

I was considering HD600s but I got the Fidelio X2/00 instead. The Sennheiser had a massive impedance but I couldn't figure out why. Testing both headphones in an padded room with a 300€ DAC I found that the Fidelio sounded just as good but I didn't have to buy a new headphone amp for it.

Cheers lad

HD800 with foam mod is much better but it's a lot more money. Not to mention that a lot of people just prefer other sound signatures. Even nwavguy preferred the HD650.

No it isn't. HD800 with foam mod isn't even neutral.

>what an IEM is
It's a genericized trademark, like Heroin, Photoshop, or Aspirin.
It refers to sound producing devices that are intended to be inserted into the ear canal, also called canalphones or insert earphones.

One option: 1More Piston Classic, saves you the trouble of trying to find a vendor.
>Open or closed
>IEMs
In-ears can have all sorts of isolation. The stuff mentioned so far has low isolation.

All those things are bassy, the KZ ATE and the Zircon especially so. Piston 3/Classic just happens to have less of a bass boost.

Spotify Premium or Tidal?

senn 598 -> senn 700
y/n

HD700 is universally hated.

give me reasons

Huge treble spike with a lowered upper midrange to further emphasise it, which is a drastic signature change coming from the HD598.
If you like the HD598, then the HD6x0 is a better upgrade path.

aite, you convinced me
should i just go base hd600? the reason i wanna get new cans is cause i've physically dropped my 598 too many times to count and im sure they're gonna start falling apart soon

also the earpads are gross- how the fuck you clean earpads anyways

but yeah i'm a fan of getting clear sound, as it's designed, like
ebin bass :-DDD is not my thing, nor do i want ear shattering treble

im probably speaking like a tard here but would regular senn 600 be good for me? i just wanna try a new sound, really, 598s have been beautiful for my ears so far

actually like em more than my old sony mdr7506s

It's not going to be drastically different, as with most things in this hobby, but as far as the next step up from the HD598, it's worth it.
You can even consider it endgame.

Which one of these is worth the price?
AKG K 240
Koss ProDJ100
TASCAM TH02-B

These are the three options I am looking at.

Philips SHP9500
or
AKG K 240

This would be my first pair of open headphones.
Also are the AKGs quieter than the Philips to those around me?

>Budget
$250
>Location
US
>Source
PC
>Preferred type of headphone
full sized
>Open or closed
Open but with minimum leakage for roommate's sake
>Comfort level
cozy as long as the sound quality is good
>Preferred tonal balance
idc
>Past headphones
pro-luxe pro 50
-really comfy

I've got a FiiO E10K, Fidelio X2's, and HD598s.
whats the next logical step? I'd like to get out of mid-fi and maybe get into some tube amps.

get a real pair of headphones

I wasn't asking solely for amp recommendations. I'm trying to get out of mid-fi in terms of headphones as well.

GIMMIE THE BEST CLOSED UNDER $250 NOT NAMED DT770 FOR EUROBEAT PALS!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know anything about the akg, but the phillips have very little bass, are extremely comfortable to me, and leak a lot of sound.

No one?

>Budget
$100 USD but $50 preferred
>Location
U.S.
>Source
PC
>Preferred type
Open
>Comfort level
Enough for 3 hours at a time

Thanks

HD600

A used one? Or save up for it. 100% worth saving up for cuz muh /hpg/ best headphone evar.

HD558

>Cheap
>Wireless
>Don't sound like shit.

Pick 2.

HD600 is like a fixed HD598, I don't really enjoy the HD598 but that's because I'm used to the HD600.

HD600 is clearer, has less lower midrange bleed, more accurate upper mid, treble and sub-bass response.

I don't really like most Sennheisers desu but HD600 is a special headphone, perhaps the best I've ever heard.

HD558 son.

Does anyone have any experience in driving the HD600 with an E10K? Is it enough?

Why not the DT770?

Most of those Eurobeat music are not too sub-bass heavy relative to modern music but people seem to like em with strong bass.

Post budget.

Fine unless you listen really loud or softly mastered music.