/sqt/ ~ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your simple/small/stupid questions here, ONCE and WAIT for a reply. You are NOT entitled to an answer.

For Linux related stuff, try >READ THE STICKY FIRST
>GOOGLE YOUR ISSUE BEFORE POSTING
>DO NOT BUMP YOUR QUESTION

Redirect anybody asking stupid questions outside this thread.
Use as a link to find this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

hearingtest.online/
logicalincrements.com/
cnet.com/news/top-wi-fi-routers-easy-to-hack-says-study/
youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
youtube.com/watch?v=lHQGjGPK1Jw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is this the stupid questions thread?

1) how do I move the favourite pages and the passwords of Google Chrome and Tor Browser from the old computer to the new one?
2) does Microsoft Edge has pre-built Ublock if I do a fresh and clean install of Windows 10 Home on my new computer?

144hz meme or not?

1. there should be an export option
2. doubt it

absolutely not a meme

no this is patrik

What's the cheapest way to soundproof my apartment?

Very recently (in the past week) my mouse and keyboard have started to take around 2 or so minutes to be available after booting into Win7. They light up from the start but do nothing until some time passes, then work like normal. When they start working I hear the "you plugged something in" noise. They work 100% fine in BIOS and safe mode. There were no changes I can think of to my system when this started happening.

Things I have tried: reinstall mobo usb drivers, uninstall and reinstall m+kb drivers, fucking with USB legacy settings in bios, different USB ports, yelling. All have the same result of it still taking a few minutes to work. My normal up and running boot time before this was around 10-15 seconds. Any ideas on other things to try?

lots of stuff, mainly cloth and foam matresses, on the walls but you cant really sound 'proof' for cheap, only dampen.

try a system restore if you have. run AV scans (download eset online and MBAM and run after your regular AV is done)

Glue to the walls those paper egg boxes using only the bottom part

If you can't find them bulk for cheap you could use some help from /diy/ they sure know the best in handywork

Maybe

Should I get Skylake or Kaby Lake? What edge will Kaby have against the previous gen that will make it worth?

If I flush all iptables rules but leave it running does it reject everything or accept everything?

Do you need something new now? Buy it.
Can you wait? Wait.

Check the rumour mills for information.

It should say in the manual, but normally accepts all without rules.

>HDD failed (electrical fault)
>bought identical HDD, same manufacture date
>swapped controller
Windows recognizes that it's connected, but can't give a size, initialize or mount it
Anything I can do to recover data?

What's a good mobo for ~$250?
I got the MSI X99A SLI Krait Edition but shit was DOA.

I don't even think that one has error beep codes, so fuck that.

It'd be nice if it's all black or black/white to match my setup.

Was thinking the MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon but that's really overkill, but I ~can~ afford it.

I just purchased a 3tb WD Blue drive and my motherboard doesn't seem to support it and only recognize 746 GB. I tried everything from converting to gpt to updating drivers and it still doesn't show. I would like to know if I can solve it by using a HDD enclosure so that I can connect it through USB 2.0 so that I wouldn't need to purchase another motherboard

AMD Athlon x2
Emaxx motherboard

>spending that much on a mobo
if you cant name a specific feature that only is available on a mobo that expensive you dont need such an expensive mobo.

just RMA for another one.

read your mobo manual and check manufacturer website to see if it actually supports 3TB drives

Dear /sqt/.

Portable drive was aparently damaged. One person picked it up during copying files from (Windows) PC to drive and rotated, wondering that it is, while I was not looking. It threw an error then and PC could no longer see it.

After four tries, it finally connected, after several seconds of waiting, asking to scan and repair. I agreed, but it aparently is stuck since 15 minutes under part about "processed decryptors/file identificators" and same number.

Leave it be or hit cancel? Im tight on time today and this is really uncomfortable situation.

So i bought a new laptop (lenovo 510s), and i also have an audio technica earphones + mic (as in their is a single 3.5mm jack). Ive used it previously on another laptop and both audio and mic work fine, however with this new laptop the audio works fine but the microphone is not detected in windows. And the laptop's 3.5mm jack has a picture of a headphone with mic next to it befor eyou ask. I've tried the following
> Reinstalling realtek hd audio drivers
> uninstalling all audio device through dev manager
> show hidden devices in audio manager

I just batch converted like 160 songs in Audacity to 432Hz copies in another folder.

Long story short: The names of the songs transferred, but all the other metadata transferred from the FIRST song in the batch.

how to QUICKLY (not by hand if possible) copy the ENTIRE ID3 of one file to another without changing anything else? preferably something similar to fc, but update all meta fields from a selected one?

i.e.
song 1: Artist 9, Genre 64, Album 28, etc.
song 2: Artist 1, Genre 1, Album 1, etc.

EVERYTHING in song 2 is WRONG except the title
How to just transfer them quick?

How could I learn to write software for electrical station control systems?

Which language(s)/protocols should I get familiar with?

Which programming language would be best for a complete beginner to learn?

Bunch of stupid questions

1. Is there a site where I can print a custom monthly calendar?

2. How to "copy" the test in this page and make stand alone application? would wget do? hearingtest.online/

3. For work related reasons I have to use Viper, which of these options are better? a.Viper for android, b. viper for windows in wine, c. viper for linux?

4. Regarding using DVD players that support MP4/AVI, what are codec that is compatible with those? H264 and AAC?

fuck you specifically need to know that for?

I'm sure whoever you work for would tell you what languages you'll need to know. so, unless you WORK at an electrical plant, there's no reason you need to know this.

Do gifs deteriorate over time/copyinglike jpegs (artifacts etc)? I've seen some old ass gifs and they are the same quality as always

I'm going to get a lot of shit for this, but where can I find my product key on Windows 8 Lenovo laptop?

I mean it's nice. If you have the money, go ahead. I wouldn't worry if you're on a budget.

only if you resave it and change the palette.
same with jpeg, you only lose quality if you save it over and over again.

save being exporting form an image editing program, not just saving from the web or copying it to somewhere else.

It's very good. If you need a cheap one, Acer makes one ~230usd

Once I booted Xubuntu on my USB flash drive, but I don't need it anymore. Is there a way I can delete Xubuntu and turn the USB flash drive back to the standard USB storage it was before?

First language is always the hardest. I went with Python first

Sup Forums noob here

I want to into gaymen PC's and have no fucking clue where to start

Is it possible to buy a decent gaming PC without dropping a grand? Can I get/build a good one for $500 or less? Either desktop or laptop, laptop preferred.

Pascal

That's true. I thought I just made a bad choice in the mobo so I figured spending more would be less of a risk.

Thanks.

First time posting in SQT so hoping for something.

Im getting my iPad Air 2 today and wanted to know what the easiest way/app is to drag & drop (or just transfer) anime and movies to it is. Ill be transferring from PC.

Pic unrelated.

logicalincrements.com/

Scroll down to the chart, find your budget on the right side of the chart ($500 in this case) you'll be able to pick the exact parts for your budget. Then research how to build it. A high school drop-out can do it senpai.

connect that thing to the computer
start the itunes bloat program
click your thing in itunes
click movies
drag and drop stuff into there.
pray the encoding is exactly how it likes it.

iTunes doesnt transfer anything thats not mp4 and the like and especially doesnt transfer MKV files, which all modern Anime and Movies are produced in.

I can't seem to move my last row to the bottom for whatever reason. I'm not sure what the issue is, all of the other rows are fine...Using HTML, can a kind user give me a fresh perspective?

test2

Teacher Device

Free!

test

Rate/Comment!

Is there a chance that i will get hacked if i use 12 years old router?

pic is related, latest firmware update was 2008

remux with ffmpeg, setup a dlna server and stream from it or get a tablet that isn't shit.

you're missing a td for "test"

also, that's a massively shit way to do something if you are only using one column.
use a list or any other block element.

Can dx-torrent be trusted?

Now my skins crawl.

Yeah, I just figured that out myself and now feel like a doof. Thanks.

Also, what are the advantages of using a list? I do have multiple columns...

none of them are secure see cnet.com/news/top-wi-fi-routers-easy-to-hack-says-study/

the main resson not to use that piece of shit is the new protocols are way faster

tables are for tabular data, if you have only one column you don't need one to list items below each other.
a list works better with screenreaders/textparsers.

I want the numberOfSecondsToSleep or Thread.Sleep (the waiting time before the program prints an answer to the user's question) be 0 when the user isn't really asking a question (e.g. input line is less than 5 characters long). How do I do this? The way I did it here, doesn't work.

while (true)
{
Console.ForegroundColor = ConsoleColor.White;
Console.Write("Ask something. ");
Console.ForegroundColor = ConsoleColor.DarkGray;
string questionString = Console.ReadLine();

int numberOfSecondsToSleep = randomObject.Next(5) + 1;
Thread.Sleep(numberOfSecondsToSleep * 600);

if (questionString.ToLower() == "quit" || questionString == "Quit")
{
break;
}

if (questionString.Length < 5)
{
numberOfSecondsToSleep = 0;
Console.WriteLine("You didn't ask anything.");
continue;
}

Just format it back

put the if block before the thread sleep?
or am I missing something here.

Should be on the bottom or inside the battery compartment

>What edge will Kaby have against the previous gen that will make it worth?
You could play Totally Accurate Battle Simulator with more units

I don't think it would make a difference, I just created the Thread.Sleep object before the if block, and I want to call and modify it (is that how you're supposed to say it?) in the last if

Moving the object around doesn't do anything, right?

That makes sense. Appreciate the help, I'll definitely look more into it...

PLC. Probably Siemens. You're gonna need special software.

1. google
4. Yes.

Google or RTFM.

Yes, just fucking format it.

>Is it possible to buy a decent gaming PC without dropping a grand?
yes
>Can I get/build a good one for $500 or less?
no
>Either desktop or laptop, laptop preferred.
Desktop. expect to pay 50% more for a laptop with the same performance.

Start here:
youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
youtube.com/watch?v=lHQGjGPK1Jw

Thread.Sleep is a static method, you don't create an object.
Once you call it, it executes and sleeps.

while (true)
{
string questionString = Console.ReadLine();

if (questionString.Length < 5)
{
continue;
}

int numberOfSecondsToSleep = randomObject.Next(5) + 1;

if (questionString.ToLower() == "quit" || questionString == "Quit")
{
break;
}
}

Boot a linux distribution (I usually use *buntu or puppy) and see if it recognises the drive. Sometimes Windows is just crap.

for

Oh I see now, I'm fucking dumb obviously
Thanks lol

why are you checking questionString to be like "Quit" if you already checked it lowercase?
If someone would enter "Quit" then your first condition would already apply

Well, if I remove the second condition and type Quit, I get "you didn't ask anything"

well I know why you did it like this now at least.
do you really need that sleep on quit?
why not

while (true)
{
var questionString = Console.ReadLine();

if (questionString.ToLower() == "quit")
{
break;
}
else if (questionString.Length < 5)
{
continue;
}

var numberOfSecondsToSleep = randomObject.Next(5) + 1;
}

I got a copyright infringement letter from a torrent I downloaded. Should I pay the fee or is there a way around this to work it out with them without paying or going to court?

>google
Wasn't disappointed.
>yes
I see, the DVD player have MP4/MP3/Divx on it.
So will regular MP4 file download from youtube with youtube-dl work right away?

I don't
But the way I did the Console.ForegroundColor was because I want the "oracles" text to be white, and whatever I type, is dark dray. Now with your code, everything is dark gray obv

should i take the linux and linux-kernel updates now and hope it doesnt break anything or should i wait until my system is already a little bit fucky and then if it breaks everything just call it good and reinstall?

Since 1 and 4 were answered,
2. You can download the sounds individually, I'd use Firefox with download helper extension to quickly grab all sounds. Then make your own app/website using them, it's not going to take more than half an hour unless you want to overkill the interface.
3. Depends on what work. Usually the most secure option is linux.

Hey anons.

I've got a situation here. I am living in Norway in a tiny-ass town of around 2000 folks and don't have access to wire internet, so I bought 200GB 4g internet from some telecom cunts.

The internet speed is total shit, though, as I'm getting mostly around 4Mbit/s with it sometimes dipping down to 0.7Mbit/s

The company couldn't do shit and suggested I buy another router for 'free' by adding another 12 months to the contract. Now, I have no idea how to actually check if it's the router that is malfunctioning or if I'm getting shitty signal by default.

The router is a ZTE (can specify if needed) and it's giving half-full cell tower signal, so that should be fine.

Any one of you know of any way to test this shit? I'm stumped, since I know nobody who has one to borrow, they cost quite a pretty penny on their own and my company just wants to jew me by giving me 12 more months.

Any idea what I could do?
Pic related. I cant believe im paying almost 800 NOK (85 euros?) for this garbage.

right, I misread it as foreground and background.
hence setting it every time would be a waste.

Don't live in a police state. You can always say you haven't done anything and you don't know what they're talking about. If you're persistent enough they might back off. Next time don't seed torrents unless you use VPN or an encrypted network, or just change your ISP.

>So will regular MP4 file download from youtube with youtube-dl work right away?
It should.

I'd update if it's security patches, otherwise wait.

You should have checked where the phone company's antenna towers are located before buying.
Also, you should still be able to get xDSL over the phone line. It will be more stable than mobile 4G and probably faster.
And I hope you didn't sign a long term contract...
BTW you probably should contact the "konsumentombudsman" nearest to you to help go through everything and see if you can get a refund.

PS. Nice IP.

Ok Sup Forumsents, i bought a Lenovo Yoga 500 laptop.

It's i5 8gigs and rather nice, but it seems to be locked the fuck down.

I put linux onto a USB flash drive, went into bios set to legacy boot settings. Enter boot menu, boot from the fucking USB and it just CRASHES into some sort of Windows enviroment.

I unplugged my MBP using a grounded plug and a surge protector, when I picked it up I touched the Magsafe port, and it shocked me. 1) How likely is it I have caused damage to the port (no burn marks and it was charging when I tried again) 2) What the hell happened?

The laptop i buy from the shop today, the geek there told me that there was an image of windows embedded into the HDD. How do i get rid of said image?

Why do you want Linux in the first place

This. You could also play the "open wifi network" card if they are persistent and your state law says you cant be held accountable for it.

Is it UEFI and Win10?
Call Lenovo if you have free tech support.

Yes it was UEFI and W10, but i swapped it to Legacy mode instead.
Because that's the whole reason i bought a damn laptop.

Is there a simple way to make a USB bootable for just about everything? (or at least a Mac and a Dell)

I just want to physically take my desktop and core files to any computer I find so I don't have to deal with syncing and cloud junk.

I've seen tricks and tools, but they all seem to have some limitation or preference. Also I am not just downloading whatnot as that doesn't tell me anything about how or what it does, also not wanting to deal with possible malware.

Why is BIOS and EFI so messed up, I mean EFI was made to fix problems not make more.

Might be some boot lock option in there. But I did hear about this shit coming years ago... I hope it has not arrived.

DESU just call lenovo and ask if it's possible to install another OS on it, and if it isnt, just refund it and buy something that can have other OS on it.

Linux LiveCD on a USB drive.

>make your own app/website using them, it's not going to take more than half an hour unless you want to overkill the interface.
What about the chart? also I have no knowledge of programing.
>Depends on what work
Nothing important, mostly co-workers sending data/pictures.
I was thinking of using WINE since I can kill the application instead of using native propriety software
>It should.
OK thanks mate.

This looks correct?

somethings real fucky with my pc. either xorg or something with gtk has a siezure every 10 minutes. mouse stops clicking or moving, or even really being useful at all. i can still use the keyboard but i mean why would i want to? also sometimes the whole system shits a brick and freezes, cant do anything, period, whem that happens. need to pull the battery. what the fuck did i do?

In C

Can I use Getint and Getstring together so that inputting a letter will go one direction and a number another ?

Moving from Canada to USA for 4 months, going to ship my desktop PC. Have any of you done this before? Any tips? Good companies to use?

yeah. if it doesnt work try another program

Trying this now, i went through the Bios. Can't find anything except for something called "OS Optimized Defaults" Which i disabled.

> it just a regular fragile package

Just remove anything that can be effected by vibration. Disconnect graphics card and hdd and bubble wrap them separately.

take out the gpu and put it back in the original box so it doesnt break while bouncing around inside the case.
put the PC it's original box (i hope you save id) with the foam protection.

I need a browser plugin that changes links to videos into embedded videos so that you can watch external content without leaving the page. Anyone have something like this?

Yeah, I didn't really want to go into any long tirade, but it wasn't really me who bought the router, but my parents, who don't know much about technology, so this shit ain't on me.

Thank you for the other information, though, I will look into all of it.

This one worked! I am now installing le Elliot OS on my Yoga 500 bendy touchlaptop.

How do I run swf files on linux locally?
Open them in browser?
Use adobe flash player with Wine?

you tried unetbootin?

there are native flash players for linux

Is there any reason NOT to upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 7 Ultimate?

yeah, install gentoo instead

>not Arch

>native flash players for linux
As a standalone application?