Are the Yik Yak devs playing 4D Chess or are they just purposefully trying to torpedo their app?

Are the Yik Yak devs playing 4D Chess or are they just purposefully trying to torpedo their app?

I've never seen anything like this. They released an update that just makes it into a completely different app, completely unrecognizable from the original. They gutted all the features like top Yaks and the Herd and made usernames/profiles mandatory.

It seems like they're trying to pivot into some sort of Facebook/Twitter clone and failed miserably.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/IKqxZ
archive.is/faly9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

?

They should have just coasted by until they could sell it to one of the big names.

>It seems like they're trying to pivot into some sort of Facebook/Twitter clone and failed miserably.
It's the same thing over and over again

not op

when i first started using yik yak, it was like a local text board with up/downvotes. you only saw posts from people within a 5-mile radius. posts with a -5 score or less were deleted. posts have a small character limit, but not as small as twitter's. OP's were anonymous, replies were semi-anonymous (similar to Sup Forums's ID's, for example on /soc/). most people who use it are average college students ("""normies""").

they added features over time. for example, herds. if you went to college in texas but lived in minnesota, obviously you wouldn't be able to see yaks from people you went to school with (along with anyone else who lived more than five miles from that school in texas). herds are basically linking your "account" to the area that your college is (texas) so that you can still see yaks from people who went to that college. they also added the ability for OP's to post images.

most recently, they added an option to create a handle and profile, with a large picture and a 200-character limit on an "about me" section. you could choose to post with a handle, and if you did, anyone with a handle could chat with you.

today's update forces you to post with a handle always and removes herds. people are complaining about it and urging people to switch to other apps. yik yak's usage has been dropping hard in the past six months or so, and i don't think anyone really wanted their identities revealed.

>posts with a -5 score or less were deleted.
This irked the fuck out of me.

it's an app for """normies""" of course it's going to protect them from content that the community doesn't want to see

Yea, well, unlike your autistic ass I consider myself a 'normie'.

People are complaining about it because as far as I could see, Yik Yak was a fucking deplorable pit of degeneracy. 9 out of 10 all the posts I looked at would always be about which girls on campus were easy lays and where to go if you wanted to get fucked up on your drug of choice.

If that's all I posted, I wouldn't want my fucking name or face tied to it either. That's straight fucked.

then why are you here? you don't belong here. go back to leldit and to your apps

I'm with ya, but I feel like they're trying to de-anonymize under pressure from the authorities. A lot of drugs and stupid illegal shit gets discussed, so if they force usernames, police won't need a warrant to track users. That's my tinfoil hat theory anyway.

Otherwise, I'd say that the devs are retarded when it comes to adding features and understanding what made Yik Yak popular. Anonymity and a chance to talk with new people in your community is pretty nice. They unfortunately decided to shoot half their appeal in the face. I've already uninstalled it from my phone.

Suck my dick

4D chess is the new "I was just pretending to be retarded"

The corporate goodwill ran out and now they have to monetise and they're acting retardedly.

Typical normie reply

>by spending 90% of my life on a cambodian lumberjack forum, I am ELITE

wow are you a fag or something?

>9 out of 10 all the posts I looked at would always be about which girls on campus were easy lays and where to go if you wanted to get fucked up on your drug of choice.

Not sure where you live, but I've never seen anything like that on my campus. It's usually just one dumbass a week asking for Xanax and getting downvoted to hell within like an a hour

Yeah... it's not going well for them.

> sensor sheep, reee
> freeze peach, reee
> I can't tell people I don't like to kill themselves like on my favourite kyrgyz accordion-tuning imageboard
I understand your predicament user, but you seem to not be unaware that every modern platform is migrating towards padded-walls moderation by the community. I do not necessarily agree this is a good thing, but it's hardly something new or shocking.

For some reason people in the industry think that a social network is the end all be all of technology. Every time something is successful they try to buttfuck it into a Facebook clone.

Look at Xbox even. They added a whole news feed with likes and statuses and shit, but virtually no one uses it. It has never once worked. There's only one Facebook and there's only one Twitter. All these apps that got big by innovating are just fucking themselves over becoming derivative shovelware like to 5 billion other Facebook clones.

That pissed me off so much. Liberals just run an opinion mafia now. Any comment criticizing Black Lives Matter wI'll be deleted almost instantly. Where I live, there's a large black population due to close proximity to Harlem and the Bronx. They just upvote the shit out of all this nonsense about "black queens" and other black empowerment garbage.

Nigga don't reply to me with this dumb shit.

It's not "dumb shit." Like it or not, that's the way social media is going.

>Liberals just run an opinion mafia now.
Don't act like conservatives are innocent. They do the same shit in my area except the posts about lynching blacks get upvoted while anything else gets deleted.

what are you gonna do, user? Downvote me? :^)

I agree that the "Right to free speech" doesn't mean people have to tolerate everything you have to say, but we should still try to preserve the spirit of Free Speech as a society. Especially in a world where the primary means of communication are platforms owned by corporations.

Something will have to change eventually. We cannot live in a world where Mark Zuckerberg can exclude you from the public discourse because he doesn't like your opinions. Eventually there should be a Supreme Court case broadening the definition of free speech to include other mediums. Otherwise the entire right will be obsolete because it'll just be limited to interactions face to face or over the phone.

It's an app for kids, kids are fucking retarded

>Eventually there should be a Supreme Court case broadening the definition of free speech to include other mediums.
There won't be, though. A private entity choosing not to host your comments doesn't violate the first amendment.

>people are complaining about it and urging people to switch to other apps

What are good alternatives to yik yak?

>non free software

how long would it take to make one

if it has been dropping hard for the past few months means this is the ultima for the app. They are doing a full overhaul and pray that it works.
Turns out it's not well received so they will either revert it back for damage control or they will be closing the service soon.
you know how there are times when you know the relationship doesn't work anymore and instead of ending quietly, you end with a big bang and do all the shit you wanted to try / test ? I feel like this is what YY is doing now.

Others probably exist but they also need to get popular to be worthwhile using it

The right to free speech never included private venues, user. If you walk into a restaurant, you can't recite the Biblel and claim you are censored when they throw your ass out. Ditto with clubs based on interest. Yet I agree with you, until now the public "forum" of opinion never was on someones private backyard, and that is that is causing all this bullshit.
No marketer wants to have a "kass the bikes" comment next to his ads. This is far less about "muh cultural marxism" and more about people selling you shit. I am still a bit amazed that people still think that in today's world some company would act out of idealism, or what it thinks is right.

You could make a compelling argument that once social media becomes the primary mechanism of free speech, restricting a person's access based on opinion alone would be violating their rights.

This is an unprecedented situation. Facebook and Twitter are monolithic. It's not like you can just pick an alternative service. They have a level of influence on the public discourse that has never been seen before. They own the public forum. Right now it's just banning offensive trolls and that not a problem, but it has the potential to do unimaginable harm to our society.

This, with all due respect to our Sup Forums strays, you weenies are obnoxious as shit in the virtual world, but you know what I do? I don't read your shit.
"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all."
I absolutely hate that this quote makes sense. We're all gonna get shafted because one side of the argument calls for lynching niggers.

It's already turning out that way. Just look at all the people with opinions that even veer slightly into Sup Forums territory. They end up merely getting banned in countries like the USA, while in Europe they're fucked.

archive.is/IKqxZ
archive.is/faly9

Criticize Islam for example and you can end up behind bars.

>Corporations would never act out of idealism
They're already doing it. Facebook and YouTube explicitly promote an agenda. They boost narratives they like and bury ones that they don't. YouTube seems to just be doing it cynically because trans acceptance is in right now, but Mark Zuckerberg is just straight up promoting his own agenda. The "trending stories" section that many people use as their sole news source, which he manipulates to fit his narrative.

I got head from using this app. Pretty gud in uni

This takes a big fat shit all over my connection to my campus community, and I'm graduating in May so this is shitty timing. I can't find any good alternatives either.

This is literally Facebook's original intended purpose, for college socialization

Jodel is pretty much the European version of yik yak. Try it.

Facebook isn't anonymous. Would you also like Sup Forums to have forced handles?

Okay? Did anyone actually use that app on this entire board?

>tfw people are primarily speaking euro on it

>kass the bikes
where do you think you are, nigger

I removed it when I realized everyone around me are brainwashed leftists and any dissenting opinion will get downvoted into oblivion.

>just installed it

Filled with jfs

yikyak was basically local Sup Forums and black people twitter for high schoolers. It was amusing for like 2 seconds.

G+, anyone remember? Even GOOGLE couldnt do it

Yeah it was useful for getting honest replies out of normies with minimal social signaling due to the anonymity. Of course eventually you realize most people in your area are pretty boring and just using the app to find drugs or sex.

They jumped on the bandwagon far too late

On the topic of social network does anybody have yammer?

That seems like the most retarded idea ever desu

Yes. I am
I used it to get nudes weed and head

I used to

holy shit, Yik Yak LLC developers on suicide watch