Redpill me on Macs, Sup Forums

Redpill me on Macs, Sup Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html
truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/
telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358134/Apples-Jobs-confirms-iPhone-kill-switch.html
npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/apple-says-game-about-palestinian-child-isnt-a-game
ifixit.org/blog/7401/ifixit-app-pulled/
mashable.com/2014/02/07/apple-app-tracks-drone-strikes/
theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/01/siri-abortion-apple-unintenional-omissions
theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/22/stagefright-flaw-ios-iphone-imessage-apple
theintercept.com/2016/04/12/apple-bug-exposed-chat-history-with-a-single-click/
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart0=
theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/apple-music-subscribers-siri-questions
blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/
web.archive.org/web/20160608183145/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/
theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair
computerworld.com/article/2541250/apple-mac/update--apple-plays-hardball--upgrade--bricks--unlocked-iphones.html
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49951/how-can-i-download-free-apps-without-registering-an-apple-idcool
apple.com/icloud/photos/
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033
theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/naked-celebrity-hack-icloud-backup-jennifer-lawrence
gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html#digitalcash
finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/privacy-advocates-worry-over-new-apple-iphone-tracking-feature-161836223.html
arstechnica.com/apple/2014/05/new-guidelines-outline-what-iphone-data-apple-can-give-to-police/
washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html
firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/22/apple-data/
motherboard.vice.com/read/switzerland-wants-a-single-universal-phone-charger-by-2017
eff.org/deeplinks/2008/11/apple-downgrades-macbook-video-drm
arstechnica.com/apple/2007/08/aacs-tentacles/
boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-yo.html
boingboing.net/2014/02/07/apple-yanks-last-remaining-bit.html
weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2008/03/07/code-signing-and-you/
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/11/papers-please-game-ipad-nude-body-scans
9to5mac.com/2014/12/01/ios-8-1-signing-window-closed/
web.archive.org/web/20150721065208/http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Status
twitter.com/AnonBabble

they are crap.

/thread

I understand that, but why are they crap? Is there any specific reason?

Most of Sup Forums is too poor to afford one, so they meme the fuck out of them and shitpost because sour grapes.

They're beautiful computers with a decent OS that's somewhere between Windows and Linux.

Their price is a bit high because they're a bit of a status symbol.

this.

/thread

shit hardware, nice OS

They're decent machines with a god tier OS and are commonly hated by 12 year olds who think it's cool to hate them because other 12 year olds hate them too.

A lesbian operating system so it's pure compared to winblows and lincucks

If we're talking about the iMac specifically, it's actually a pretty good value if you factor in the screen, especially the 5k.
>+ decent specs for the price
>+ triple boot
>- customization
>- upgrades

They used to be great for things like photography, video editing, ect.

Then apple dropped PPC for intel because they wanted that normie money. Now each new release is one step forward and several steps back.

The quality of the hardware has also been dropping for the past 10 years too.

>bad cooling
>throttling is common for some models
>components are mostly soldered and user upgrades/repairs are harder in comparison to other devices if not practically impossible
>""desktop"" macs have laptop parts except the top spec 5K one

Although they are your only choice if you need/want to use osx and don't want to build a hackintosh machine

Proper BSD UNIX
Proper GUI with usability and consistency, no random aesthetics from umpteen competing GUI toolkits
Loads of free software, easily installed from ports or as packaged apps
Platform of choice for design professionals
Fast, powerful, it just works (tm)

If you are a normie or amateur dev, OS X > Windows for literally everything

If you do serious development, then you'll find Linux environment much more friendly than OS X environment. One perk OS X might have over Linux is that the laptops come with a god-tier touchpad for productivity due to switching workspaces, although you may find keyboard shortcuts on non-macbook laptops just as fast. If you can get Linux on a rMBP, then there is no reason for you to use OS X for serious tech work

>works without any problems
>great battery life
>looks an feels nice
>amazing screen
>people who can't afford hate on it
Can't be happier with my mbpr 13 and the best part is none of the neckbeards in CS has any ambitions talking to me because of it... :^)

>PPC to Intel
>anything but an improvement
Out of all the things to complain about in macs, you choose this

You actually had a reason to buy Macs before, now they're just run of the mill machines that come with a different OS preinstalled.

laughing my ass off!

they look nice but only some are worth anything. macbook air 11in is a very pleasant machine, but needs to be cheaper than it is. rMBP is probably the only mac machine that comes close to being correctly priced. all but the tippy top desktop models are worth anything, and they are priced incredibly high bc of it.

all but the tippy top desktop models are worth jack shit, and the top models are crazy expensive*

this is a good and fair summation. although as far as price goes, the touchpad (perhaps the screen as well) is the only quality hardware that goes above and beyond my w530, the rest is about the same, and is much more expensive.

It's expensive but it'll probably get you laid.

>Out of all the things to complain about in macs, you choose this

It made a big difference when it came to photoshop and video editing. Macs were significantly faster than windows in those programs for a long time.

Then they make the move to intel and ps ends up being a bit slower on macs. Then 64 bit ps comes out, but for windows first making macs fall even farther behind.

But there are people who still claim that macs are better for photo editing lel

iPhone - they are great but it's mainly about preference, had 6S, trying S7 edge now

iMac - never had one but they are good if you can do your stuff on them/family use, not for hard gaming etc.

Macbooks - literally the best you can get, I won't be buying anything else for long time. Doesn't apply if you are 13 years old and need to carry all your games everywhere you go.

iPads - if you need a tablet, preferably for mom it's great, works good but for the 13 inch pro the OS is meme, same icon layout like on 4,7 phone, cmon Apple

I've had 4 iphones, 3 macbooks, 2 ipads and the only thing I could whine as a normal user/programmer is the filesystem bullshit and fucking lightning cable being $20 for just a cable that's trash anyway. Don't listen to edgy neckbeards hating apple because it's cool and all they can afford from their allowance is $100 thinkpad used by 10 people while they pretend it's exactly what they wanted.

What I find interesting is how crazy the resale value are on apple products. Look up the prices on old macbooks. Pretty crazy how much you can get off a 5 year old laptop.

Is it the screens?

I've just sold my 2014 macbook air. I bought it week old from someone and sold it after 21 months for $110 less then I paid. Cool how you can litearlly rent a macbook for 5 bucks a month.

It's a thing for devices without screens too, it's just because they're from Apple.

They use shitty HDD. Mine broke in 2y and half.

>god tier OS
>no package manager
Go on, say "homebrew", I need a laugh.

pkgsrc

Apple's Operating Systems Are Malware
gnu.org/proprietary/malware-apple.html

Malware means software designed to function in ways that mistreat or harm the user. (This does not include accidental errors.) This page explains how the software in Apple's computer products are malware.

Malware and nonfree software are two different issues. The difference between free software and nonfree software is in whether the users have control of the program or vice versa. It's not directly a question of what the program does when it runs. However, in practice nonfree software is often malware, because the developer's awareness that the users would be powerless to fix any malicious functionalities tempts the developer to impose some.

Apple Back Doors

Mac OS X had an intentional local back door for 4 years, which could be exploited by attackers to gain root privileges.
truesecdev.wordpress.com/2015/04/09/hidden-backdoor-api-to-root-privileges-in-apple-os-x/

The iPhone has a back door that allows Apple to remotely delete apps which Apple considers “inappropriate”. Jobs said it's OK for Apple to have this power because of course we can trust Apple.
telegraph.co.uk/technology/3358134/Apples-Jobs-confirms-iPhone-kill-switch.html

The iPhone has a back door for remote wipe. It's not always enabled, but users are led into enabling it without understanding.
npr.org/2010/11/22/131511381/wipeout-when-your-company-kills-your-iphone

Apple Censorship

Apple censors games, banning some games from the cr…app store because of which political points they suggest. Some political points are apparently considered acceptable.
arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/apple-says-game-about-palestinian-child-isnt-a-game

Apple banned a program from the App Store because its developers committed the enormity of disassembling some iThings.
ifixit.org/blog/7401/ifixit-app-pulled/

Apple rejected an app that displayed the locations of US drone assassinations, giving various excuses. Each time the developers fixed one “problem”, Apple complained about another. After the fifth rejection, Apple admitted it was censoring the app based on the subject matter.

As of 2015, Apple systematically bans apps that endorse abortion rights or would help women find abortions.
mashable.com/2014/02/07/apple-app-tracks-drone-strikes/

This particular political slant affects other Apple services.
theguardian.com/technology/2011/dec/01/siri-abortion-apple-unintenional-omissions

Apple Insecurity

A vulnerability in Apple's Image I/O API allowed an attacker to execute malacious code from any application which uses this API to render a certain kind of image file.
theguardian.com/technology/2016/jul/22/stagefright-flaw-ios-iphone-imessage-apple

A bug in the iThings Messages app allowed a malicious web site to extract all the user's messaging history.
theintercept.com/2016/04/12/apple-bug-exposed-chat-history-with-a-single-click/

Can it delete App Store apps? Add repositories?

Apple Interference

Various proprietary programs often mess up the user's system. They are like sabotage, but they are not grave enough to qualify for the word “sabotage”. Nonetheless, they are nasty and wrong. This section describes examples of Apple committing interference.

Apple forced millions of iThings to download a system upgrade without asking the users. Apple did not forcibly install the upgrade but the downloading alone caused lots of trouble.
discussions.apple.com/thread/7256669?tstart0=

Apple Pressuring

Proprietary companies can take advantage of their customers by imposing arbitrary limits to their use of the software. This section reports examples of hard sell and other unjust commercial tactics by Apple.

Apple Siri refuses to give you information about music charts if you're not an Apple Music subscriber.
theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/27/apple-music-subscribers-siri-questions

Apple Sabotage

The wrongs in this section are not precisely malware, since they do not involve making the program that runs in a way that hurts the user. But they are a lot like malware, since they are technical Apple actions that harm to the users of specific Apple software.

The Apple Music client program scans the user's file system for music files, copies them to an Apple server, and deletes them.
blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

Apple stops users from fixing the security bugs in Quicktime for Windows, while refusing to fix them itself.
web.archive.org/web/20160608183145/http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04/14/uninstall_quicktime_for_windows/

iOS version 9 for iThings sabotages them irreparably if they were repaired by someone other than Apple. Apple eventually backed off from this policy under criticism from the users. However, it has not acknowledged that this was wrong.
theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

>delete App Store apps
Of course not, why would it?
>Add repos
It comes with all the repos already

they're decent prebuilts

An Apple firmware “upgrade” bricked iPhones that had been unlocked. The “upgrade” also deactivated applications not approved by Apple censorship. All this was apparently intentional.
computerworld.com/article/2541250/apple-mac/update--apple-plays-hardball--upgrade--bricks--unlocked-iphones.html

Apple deleted from iPods the music that users had got from internet music stores that competed with iTunes.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/04/apple-deleted-music-ipods-rivals-steve-jobs

Apple Surveillance

Users cannot make an Apple ID (necessary to install even gratis apps) without giving a valid email address and receiving the verification code Apple sends to it.
apple.stackexchange.com/questions/49951/how-can-i-download-free-apps-without-registering-an-apple-idcool

iThings automatically upload to Apple's servers all the photos and videos they make.
apple.com/icloud/photos/
iCloud Photo Library stores every photo and video you take, and keeps them up to date on all your devices. Any edits you make are automatically updated everywhere. [...]
(From Apple's iCloud information as accessed on 24 Sep 2015.)

The iCloud feature is activated by the startup of iOS. The term “cloud” means “please don't ask where.”
support.apple.com/en-us/HT202033

There is a way to deactivate iCloud, but it's active by default so it still counts as a surveillance functionality.

Unknown people apparently took advantage of this to get nude photos of many celebrities. They needed to break Apple's security to get at them, but NSA can access any of them through PRISM.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/01/naked-celebrity-hack-icloud-backup-jennifer-lawrence
gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html#digitalcash

REEEE
EEE

also later models overheat and they are less repairable (even though 2nd one benefits in portability)
>not using MacPorts
Ports > Apt/pacman/rhel package manager

The iBeacon lets stores determine exactly where the iThing is, and get other info too.
finance.yahoo.com/blogs/the-exchange/privacy-advocates-worry-over-new-apple-iphone-tracking-feature-161836223.html

Apple can, and regularly does, remotely extract some data from iPhones for the state.
arstechnica.com/apple/2014/05/new-guidelines-outline-what-iphone-data-apple-can-give-to-police/

This may have improved with iOS 8 security improvements; but not as much as Apple claims.
washingtonpost.com/business/technology/2014/09/17/2612af58-3ed2-11e4-b03f-de718edeb92f_story.html
firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/09/22/apple-data/

Apple DRM

Apple uses DRM software to prevent people from charging an iThing with a generic USB cable.
motherboard.vice.com/read/switzerland-wants-a-single-universal-phone-charger-by-2017

DRM (digital restrictions mechanisms) in MacOS. This article focuses on the fact that a new model of Macbook introduced a requirement for monitors to have malicious hardware, but DRM software in MacOS is involved in activating the hardware. The software for accessing iTunes is also responsible.
eff.org/deeplinks/2008/11/apple-downgrades-macbook-video-drm

DRM that caters to Bluray disks. (The article focused on Windows and said that MacOS would do the same thing subsequently.)
arstechnica.com/apple/2007/08/aacs-tentacles/

Quit shitposting

Apple Jails

iOS, the operating system of the Apple iThings, is a jail for users. That means it imposes censorship of application programs.
boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-yo.html

Apple has used this power to censor all bitcoin apps for the iThings.
boingboing.net/2014/02/07/apple-yanks-last-remaining-bit.html

Apple, in the iThings, pioneered the practice of general purpose computers that are jails, and the term comes from iThing users, who referred to escaping from the censorship as “jailbreaking.”

Here is an article about the code signing that the iThings use to jail the user.
weblog.rogueamoeba.com/2008/03/07/code-signing-and-you/

Curiously, Apple is beginning to allow limited passage through the walls of the the iThing jail: users can now install apps built from source code, provided the source code is written in Swift. Users cannot do this freely because they are required to identify themselves. Here are details.

While this is a crack in the prison walls, it is not big enough to mean that the iThings are no longer jails.

More examples of Apple's arbitrary and inconsistent censorship.
theguardian.com/technology/2014/dec/11/papers-please-game-ipad-nude-body-scans

Apple Tyrants

Apple arbitrarily blocks users from installing old versions of iOS.
9to5mac.com/2014/12/01/ios-8-1-signing-window-closed/

The iThings are tyrant devices: they do not permit installing a different or modified operating system. There is a port of Android to the iThings, but installing it requires finding a bug or “exploit” to make it possible to install a different system.
web.archive.org/web/20150721065208/http://www.idroidproject.org/wiki/Status

> (You)
>>delete App Store apps
>Of course not, why would it?
So it's a package manager that can't manage packages on your system.
>>Add repos
>It comes with all the repos already
What "all" repos? A pre-defined set?

So basically it can't do 2 things that any package manager on Linux can. Awesome.

>rhel package manager
Wat

>So it's a package manager that can't manage packages on your system.
It's a package manager that manages packages previously managed by it. Packages managed by a different package manager (which the App Store is, just a graphical one) are handled by said package manager.
>What "all" repos? A pre-defined set?
Yes, when you install the ports system all ports are already there.

>what is rpm

>asks to be redpilled
>gets mad when redpilled

Mactoddlerism, not even once.

>actually thinking that a computer will get you laid
>needing an electronic device to get laid

Wew lad

Fantastic screens, shit everything else. Which is a bummer because most other brands have shit screens and fantastic everything else.

Not a single company gets both of them right, yet they're still wondering why nobody buys prebuilds anymore. Jesus fucking Christ.

Oh, it's you. I see you're enjoying your last few weeks of shitposting before you go back to middle school.

Yes, it's possible to add/create one. As for mac app store management, that's a different application and you should use something like
mas

. Even though OS X applications are all self contained so it's advised to just remove the .app (mas can aid).

>It's a package manager that manages packages previously managed by it. Packages managed by a different package manager (which the App Store is, just a graphical one) are handled by said package manager.
So you need to keep 2 package managers, both of which inferior to standard linux ones since no adding repos, and make sure you never have conflicts by, for example, installing xcode on one and python on the other. How is this better?

>Yes, when you install the ports system all ports are already there.
What "all" ports? How do you define a static environment includes everything from a dynamic one? Anyone can make a repo right this moment, you can't at all ensure this thing will magically include everything unless you allow it to add repos.

This user did your homework for you. Still shit that you have to keep both while you can update every package in Linux with 1 application though.

So you didn't even know the name, but somehow already knew macports was better. Ok.

>So you need to keep 2 package managers, both of which inferior to standard linux ones since no adding repos, and make sure you never have conflicts by, for example, installing xcode on one and python on the other. How is this better?
I never claimed it was infinitely superior, I said it was a package manager for OS X, which it fucking is.
>So you didn't even know the name, but somehow already knew macports was better. Ok.
You're thinking of a different user. I was just pointing out that he clearly meant rpm

Do you? There are distributions of linux with multiple package managers. Plus you can just not use mac app store.

>user posts stuff related to apple
>b-but shitpost

Do you actually have an argument or are you here to do actual shitposting?

For technology illiterate morons who like to think they aren't.

I'm claiming it's inferior?

Can you name one of those retarded distros? I could just add "don't install retarded distros", but I'm curious about this. Or do you mean something like yum+pip+npm?

Why're you questioning yourself?

Don't worry, only one more month left to endure before mactoddlers are shipped back to middle school.

Sorry about the question mark on the first reply, was meant to be statement.

He spams that wall of text that nobody bothers reading in every thread, it's shitposting.

Well I never claimed pkgsrc is the best. You asked to name a non-homebrew package manager for OS X, and I did.

>Redpill me
Kill yourself

/thread

>Nef = all Mac users
Top fucking kek

Like what the hardware or the software?
OS X is like a working commercial version of Linux (as in it has the benefits of GNU/Loonix) so Sup Forums hates it.
The hardware despite what macfags say is not exceptionally reliable or always well thought out. Over the years there have been many Apple products with hardware defects. Where they shine is that with Apple laptops everything about them is at least decent, they are always very pleasant to use.
While with other manufacturers you can buy a laptop that costs as much as a MBP, and yet it might still have something extremely sub par about it like shit display, short battery life, bad touchpad etc.
With A

>He spams that wall of text that nobody bothers reading in every thread, it's shitposting

Then don't respond to him. To be fair those are some legit reasons to have concerns about apple. If you think that he's wrong then just BTFO him and he won't post it again.

>To be fair those are some legit reasons to have concerns about apple
I entirely agree, but to spam it all over the place is absolutely unnecessary. We get it, Apple iz bad xDDD

>Mac users
Top fucking kek

>look mom I posted it again

A botnet malware OS running on overheating throttling garbage.

I'm here year round, baby

>OS X is like a working version of Linux
Could you please not talk like you knew what you're talking about?

see

Well I agree that it could be bette rif he just posted the fsf page instead of posting walls.

>We get it, Apple iz bad xDDD
>op asks why some Sup Forumsentoomen think macs are bad
>complaining about some user posting what he thinks is bad about apple

bedrock. Even though its slightly different. And yes, pip/npm+other package manager is like MAS+brew/macports.

/thread

>Actual troll detected but i will reply

Cost is one factor, the Apple machines are horribly priced compared to whatever hardware they put in them.

>They sell duocores 1,3Ghz in 2016 calling it lightening fast.

>Heat dissipation relies on the aluminium of the case to expand.

>having a low OS standard

>Heat dissipation relies on the aluminium of the case to expand.
How many asses did you have to mine to pull this out?

>being 12

>shit hardware, shit OS
fixed

oh my god will you fuck off.

>mactoddler gets utterly BTFO
>j-j-j-just f-f-fuck off!!!!1111

lmaoing @ ur lyfe

>while defending shiny status symbols aimed at teenagers
You're not being credible

All I've done is deny that OS X is shit, because it's far from it.

OS X is a joy to use.

Most Macs could do with better hardware but the rMBP, especially if you can grab one foe less than MSRP is good. It's one of the few modern laptops you can get with a 16:10 aspect ratio display.

>deny that OS X is shit
Spotted the 12 year old.

>normie tier consumer jail completely based around social media integration
No, it's shit

>lolol OS X sux guise
Spotted the 12 year olds

Any UNIX is better than no UNIX.

doesn't it get boring to be you?

>confusing OS X with iOS
Why are you arguing about something you clearly know nothing about?

>unironically saying troll
underage detected

Why?

/thread

/thread

>Apple's OS gives the option to use Apple's online data storage services
What's the issue with this?
>Apple's OS allows you to conveniently post on popular social networking sites
Again, what's the issue? You're free to not take advantage of either feature. Are you really complaining about the abundance of features?