/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).
----
If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable
----
Why ThinkPad? (also applies to other business laptops)
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap.
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet.
>Great durability: chassis uses a magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels.
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models.
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop.
>Easy to repair, upgrade and maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model. Spare parts are easy and cheap to obtain.
>The best trackpoint (that red thing in the middle of the keyboard). Great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad.
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support.
----
Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/ULHCY5ch

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Boehydis-Hv121wx4-120-Replacement-Substitute-B121EW03/dp/B00L9D5QX8/
youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Guess the old thread died before I got an answer... To "For certain? The model number is "HV121WX4-120" for the one I'm looking at, I just want to be certain the controller is compatible so I don't get this fucker and end up crying because it's useless."

Best place to buy a genuine x230 battery? Seen some pretty cheap ones on ebay for ~$40 that say they're new and genuine. However any other place online has them for $70+, so it's sketching me out.

>not jewing the battery recall by scraping battery serials from ebay

amazon.com/Boehydis-Hv121wx4-120-Replacement-Substitute-B121EW03/dp/B00L9D5QX8/

Looking at this by the way. Again, just wondering if I can 1-1 it with my current x201 LED display without issue. I see people online saying it works fine, but I really just want to be certain.

Also, anyone know if it's even worth it over the stock?

I got problems using internet on my x220 for few last days. Is there any issue with wifi while running on cable? Now i put the battery and its alright.

Can't find any good thinkpads on Amazon.ca. FeelsBadMan

Just do the battery authorization bypass EC flash. Then you can get whatever you want, genuine x220/x230 batteries or chinashit.

I don't think i can without a specific controller from the x200 and swapping 'em out. I think I just won't do it, the LED display I currently have is in perfect condition and works great, just lacks some color quality (Though, I always have it on its lowest brightness setting anyway, might make it look shittier).

Unless anyone knows an exact method of doing this, and a list of parts or something, and it isn't super expensive, I may plan on doing it. Thanks if you can help!

Do all T420s laptops come with a 1600x900 screen?

Planning to buy a battery for my x220. Found 9cell 6600mah (73wh) one in my town. Its not original, will it be good?

Might buy a 310ED tonight, all working in good shape with '95

I thinking about buying this one.

Am I wasting my money?

Don't get the e series.

Is getting the NVS 5400M version of the T430 worth it?

so i have a weird issue i never encountered before with my t430.
my thinkpad is running win7 and linux mint in dualboot and that since like 4 years everythings fine and i never had any problems till now.
the issue is i cannot seem to boot any other linux distro from usb anymore.
not fully anyways.

i can get past grub but then the log tells me it fails to mount things, cant get into the actual tty and seems to suddenly loos track of the usb device.

i have tried different usb sticks and ports on my thinkpda its always the same.
i have half a mind to take my drivecage out and put in the old dvd drive just to confirm.
the thing is this should not be happening.
my thinkpad does not have the secureboot update. as i bought this one on launch and the t430 got the secure boot later at a bios update that i never installed.
my boot options i have never changed though.
from the moment i got this i had set them to uefi/bios both
and legacy first.
and when i installed linux mint i did it over usb too.

send help

>i have half a mind to take my drivecage out and put in the old dvd drive just to confirm.
I would start there. Start eliminating points of failure. Triple-check your BIOS settings too.

Are there any ExpressCard to USB C cards? I wanted something like that to fill this empty slot

Well, yes, if you want to play on it. Even HD4600 barely makes it.

its possible to get a 900p screen for the t420 right?

no

maybe

yes

the t420 with nvidia graphics card vs regular? what the difference and is the battery life bad

>That feel when you bought your mum a thinkpad
Surprised how little T410's cost now

T420-kun arrived today ~

I'll rely on Thinkwiki and say yes.

I don't know
youtube.com/watch?v=x5Za8HggalY

should i >.

can you play Civilization V in acceptable fps on X230? love that game

Yes

hd3000 for work/shitposting + eGPU for gaymen or go home.

welp after searching for half an hour i do now actually have any empty dvds/cds or any ones that can be rewritten.
well fuck.
the original problem still stands.

bump

Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you had a secondary HDD in a caddy in the ultrabay. What I was suggesting was pull out whatever's in the ultrabay and try to boot from a live USB. If that doesn't work, pull your main HDD and/or mSATA. If it still doesn't work after that, it has nothing to do with what's on your local hard drives.

well heres what i did.
>remove drive in ultrabay
>same deal get past grub from the usb stick then nothing
>put in dvd drive in ultra bay
>try again same result
>try to find a disc to actually burn on
>cant find disc
>aquire depression.

I got one and I can tell you that speaks the truth.

I wish there was a way to mantain your keyboard shineless

why does that say x320

lurk moar

Because it's a 13" screen.

your mum sat on it.

No, I mean I know why the thinkpad has that printed on it.

I mean, the question was about an x230, but the picture was of an x320.

pic is not always related to post

You'll get the hang of it eventually.

just got my thinkpad w520
a lot smaller than I thought it would be. Read that it was basically a desktop, but it's about the same size as my previous laptop that I was using for school.
It also has a weird smell coming from the vents. Is that normal? It's not an obvious smell, but if you were to put your nose close to it, you can smell something odd.

but yours is. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this already!

update your bios. and then disable secure boot.
what you are experienceing is you bios not supporting linux kernel 3.5+

Take off the palmrest and keybaord and clean out the fan/vents. Also stop putting your nose on used products.

change the rubber rails on the hard drive you deviant. Thats an awesome smell.

Are those thinkpad mice from the last thread legit?
They look really nice for a wireless to chuck into my bag when travelling though I'll stick to my wired logitech when in docked mode

It's a modded x220 thats fitted with an xps 13 display. The chink that did the mod had custom bezels made to better fit the screen. He had x320 printed on it to show for it.

T440s
I7 qm
8gb ram
256ssd
Fhd ips
450 dolla Worth?(inc 30 dollar for the 450 trackpad upgrade)

bump

you don't need to bump your post reply.

Tell me why every time i ask something on Sup Forums people just ignore it and answer everything else.

of cocaine?

>848 ▶
install gentoo

Because no one has your problem. It's just you.

Also, you're probably a nigger

You have to be 18+ to be on Sup Forums

After showing my mom the T520 I bought, she wants a Thinkpad. She wants a laptop that's at least 15", so should I just get her a T520?

Go ahead. I would personally get a W520 but I doubt your mom needs the extra capabilities.

Does OpenMW run on the x220

What would be the best choice for a poorfag? Are newer thinkpads expensive?

Has anything drastically changed since Lenovo aquired it?

just got my thinkpad and it works fine. I went into the bios and saw Hardware Password manager and it's enabled.
What does this mean? Should I disable it or leave it on

>What would be the best choice for a poorfag
T420 / T410

>Are newer thinkpads expensive?
Very

>Has anything drastically changed since Lenovo aquired it?
Nothing very important.

Thank you so much for quick reply.

Forgot to ask, are there any series that are recommended to be avoided?

>are there any series that are recommended to be avoided?
Focus on T, X and or W series, mainly on T series. Avoid everything else.

Read the op...

Thanks.
sorry, will not shit up the thread anymore

Stop spoonfeeding faggots that don't even read the OP. You're just encouraging the cancer.

Oh fuck off, without people asking something these threads would be even more dead.

>Has anything drastically changed since Lenovo aquired it?

rootkits in the new thinkpads. that isnt saying much though since intel chips in itself are backdoored.

t420 is the last true thinkpad of the T series.
t430 is the hybrid of old features and new features.
everything after that is considered suboptimal. build quality has arguably gone up. modularity is still somewhat decent. prices are horrible though.
aftermarket parts are harder to get for newer models.

also that integrated battery idea is horrible.
just put better batteries for fucks sake.
nowadays we easily can have 5x the capacity of what the t420 had in its batteries for about 30% increases production price compared ot that battery.
not to mention the crazy new lithium hybrid batteries that last forever and dont degrade as much.

mmmm...
maybe
I had one T430s that came with an HD display.

Hello user.
Yes you can get a 900p display for your T420/T420s
When you are upgrading from 720p, you'll have to get a 900p display cable first, otherwise the screen will not work.
I recommend nabbing an M14x screen, its a popular 'mod'.

Because no one likes you, we can tell how much of a nerd u are.

i just boguht a t420 , i hope i didint get memed

>rootkits
What? Really? Fucking chinese srsly.
>backdoored Intel chips
somehow predictable since all the leaks and NSA hype

But thank you for detailed opinion and advice.

>I recommend nabbing an M14x screen, its a popular 'mod'.
this.
great screen. i got one for my t430.
it has way better colors than the original t430 screen too.
fonts look amazing on it.
just be sure to get the matte screen not glossy.

well it doesnt actually do much.
it only works on windows too.
what it does i it installs the thinkvantage suite of programms on a fresh install.

also all cpus since the athlon 2 for amd and the core2due for intel have been hardware backdoored.

>hardware backdoors in essential components that you cant escape form or choose something else
What a time to live in huh?

fun isnt it?
heres another fun bomb.
intel cpus do not require internet access to connect to them.

Sorry about the late reply.. I know nothing about that, sorry.. Just saying that if you find one then it would be easy af.

Wow I would like to get to know more about that tech. Got any sources ?

Its like those cpus that can be remotely activated even when computer is shut down and even if hard disk with OS is removed because chip has another chip inside with its own special OS. There is no stopping them.

If you seriously expect any modern hardware to not have backdoors, you must be delusional.
There's no point trying to "hide" from anyone if the tracking is embedded within the machine you use. Enough with the tinfoil conspiracies.

look up things like anti theft and intels DRM platform
shit bricks after you do.

>Enough with the tinfoil conspiracies
But you just said that everything is backdoored. Its a fucking scary shit and conspiracy tier.

That's my point. No use in making this out to be a tinfoil conspiracy escape when it's already there. Accept it for what it is. And I know I'll get called a defeatist for this, but let's be fucking real for a moment, what can you really do?

Will do.
It sure is shitty to be on the weak side and not on NSA team. Its so intriguing to know all that shit or be a part of team inventing new technologies, even if it for "evil" things like spying on everybody.

“Hi, I’m xsauc, and this is my eBay shop. I work here with my old ThinkPads and my Sun, ‘Ultra 20’. Everything here has a Pentium 4 and is overpriced. One thing I’ve learned after 5 years- you never know WHAT is gonna come through my eBay feed.”

Well if you think there are no knowledgeable hackers/electricians that know how to tinker with that stuff to defend themselves than it rly is defeatism.
Its hard to believe that only big companies and gov organizations have skillful people.
Yes resources are big thing but reverse engineering/hacking doesnt cost as much as inventing new stuff from scratch.

A lot of the time the very people that create the technology are the ones that create the countermeasures.

You can still minimize your attack surface. Sure, the back door might be busted, but opening the front door and unlocking the windows doesn't make things any better for you.

Exactly. Its really too good to be true that some "hackers" out there simply break into top proprietary software and systems without any sensitive information from the "inside".

>T410 three years ago
>150 pounds
>T410 now
>100 pounds

Are think pads the slowest devaluing laptops in the world after their initial deluge of used models onto the second hand market?

MacBooks & ToughBooks hold their value.
Consumer trash too... Sold a dead mobo Vaio E series with a 15" dipslay & first gen i5 for like $60+. But the E6420 with a bios lock? I'll get past $40 if im lucky.

A lot of these systems are super cheap, maybe some workstations still hold their value.

I think I'd have to get a bunch of hardware from a x200 because the AFFS panels are LCD, and the x201 has LED displays. It's whatever, I'm fine with not spending a bunch of money right now. Maybe a project for the future, but right now by Nip keyboard will be plenty fun.

Got
Aids
Yet?

Seriously though babe, is an X200s still a decent buy?

Filtered

And here I thought my G40 tipped the scales at 8 pounds.

Yeah, I'm happy as as fuck with my nip keyboard, enjoy it! I knew what I was getting myself into though, I've been using ISO keyboards all my life and then I've owned several jap keyboards and I fucking love them.

No one irl that have seen me use it has called me a weeb, they just think it's cute (although it's weeb as fuck, no denying that)