How the fuck do you organize your shit, Sup Forums?

How the fuck do you organize your shit, Sup Forums?

What kind of criteria do you shoot for when organizing the root of your drive? OS dependency?

What about organizing your media? Do you let a database program handle your files for you, or do you sort things out by function? Mood? Time periods?

Organizing is hard!

Like this you dumb fuck.

Do programs go in your documents folder? What about games?

God damn I hate how you can't remove these shitty folders from windows.

The NSA bonnet will do it automatically

Get a linux OS and make a useful file tree in your home folder. Or where every you like for that matter.

>Libraries

The question is what should that "useful" file tree be?

You can.

Make a folder inside Documents for Programs and another folder for Games.

Pin it to Quick access and bam you don't even have to go into the Documents folder to access it.

But those aren't documents

just make a lot of folders by theme and put them on your desktop

What ever your needs are. Just set up a logical way of storing your files so you can find them easily.

Use folders to help sort by year, month, file type etc.

It's all about the best way to store your data, in an easily navigable way.

file hierarchies are fundamentally broken because insofar as directories are categories, categories may overlap arbitrarily, thereby breaking the tree structure

what we need is tagging, but no filesystem has good tagging support, unfortunately

i've found that the best solution is to treat your files as an unstructred data soup, rather than an organized structure, and that this works so long as you NEVER DISCARD METADATA, EVER. you want to retain the artist. you want to retain the original filename. you want to retain the website you downloaded it from and the date. the more you can retain the better, because as long as you retain everything you can always reimagine your current view. but the second you discard metadata it's lost, it's fucked

i've been writing a lot of programs lately to regenerate metadata i.e. by reverse internet search

f you're stuck on windows 7, you need to make changes to the registry with some 3rd party tool. It's only in 8.1 and higher that they give you an option to remove them.

>i've been writing a lot of programs lately to regenerate metadata i.e. by reverse internet search

cool!

What have you been writing? What kind of system do you have in place? Are you looking to implement good tagging in a filesystem?

sounds like an interesting project but I have no desire to manage my files with tagging and metadata instead of a directory hierarchy.

If I don't have any idea where a file goes, why do I even have it?

I try to keep it simple.

I don't use spaces, avoid capitals if possible in case I want some part of directory to be hosted somewhere in the future.

dates for media, I only keep my own media 90% of the time, except some random installers/software.

just an example of my layout

Basically what said.

I'm in the process of organizing my stuff, but this is generally how my storage partition is set up. There's obviously a nice hierarchy, but I'm too lazy to make a fancy screenshot.

Semi-related: I like to keep my personal files on a separate partition from the OS (aptly named "Storage"), and then I make symlinks (the commands are ln in linux, mklink in Windows) to my storage drive in the OS partition. Installed programs are kept on their respective OS partition

come to think of it, install-files would probably be better kept in system and renamed to software, since it's just backups of installers and I keep driver backups in hardware by device name or company name in some cases if it's a driver that can be installed for many things like nvidia or amd etc.

>Installed programs are kept on their respective OS partition
With the exception of "portable" programs that can be kept within a single directory.

What I do as well, since some programs are required to be installed in Program Files on Windows, but I backup certain settings if needed outside, like an autoexec.cfg, etc

shit sounds great, but in practice it's a clusterfuck

better take the time and organize as you get files, you can go back 10-15 years and figure out everything without any issues

_Main
- _COPY
- _TEMP
- Browser (Bookmark back-ups, 4chanX settings exports, etc.)
- Documents
- - Personal (Personal letters, notes, etc.)
- - Business (Resumes, cover letters, etc.)
- Downloads (Where software setup files get saved to and backed up)
- eBooks
- Music
- - _Sorted (Subdirectories named "Artist - Album," no music file is more than one subdirectory deep)
- - _Unsorted (Music I've downloaded and have been too lazy to properly tag and sort yet)
- PDA-n-Phone (Used to be where my Palm Pilot PRC files and stuff would go, now serves as APK back-up)
- Photos (Digital photos I've taken, sorted into subdirectories according to camera model, then by "EventDescription_YYYY-MM-DD")
- Pics Misc (Other image files, e.g. shit downloaded from Sup Forums and elsewhere, subdirectories sorted by subject matter)
- Video
- - _Download (Where I dump videos I download and sort them later)
- - _Misc (Stuff that doesn't fit elsewhere)
- - Animals (Cat videos, etc.)
- - Anime (Further sorted by series)
- - Cartoons (Non-anime cartoons)
- - Flash
- - Humor
- - Mine (Misc videos I've made myself)
- - Movies (Some movies sorted into subdirectories by series, e.g. Star Wars, Star Trek, LotR, etc.)
- - Music Videos
- - TV (Sorted by series)

Fuck, it's just getting worse with each day o.O

Ignore the folders your OS creates and make a new partition for your files and create folders there instead.

This way your files stay clean and programs can store all their junk in the default folders.

This. Bit more straight forward when it comes to backing up.

Movies, series in ~/torrents
Projects in ~/Documents
Downloads non-torrent ~/Downloads
Music ~/Music/Artist/Album/00 Track.flac
Fucking autists man

Simple, I don't organize shit. I throw all to documents, downloads folder, the desktop or some folder in an external drive. Then I use Windows Search to find what I need. That's why indexing exists.

Computers are supposed to make our lives easier. Having to organize files manually is just too much time wasted.

؜؜؜