Real Unix (especially BSD) is super fun

Real Unix (especially BSD) is super fun.

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2016-August/001739.html
vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics
gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Contributions
freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Ever ran FreeBSD on laptop?

Yep

cuck license tho

How? If I could run it on my laptop I would. Why so smug about what OS you're using. Should I gaze upon you with envy because I lack the time and skill to tinker with every part of my computer to make it run something "different"?

Who is maintaining freeBSD ?
Does the linux kernel share codes with the BSD kernel ? Is it opensource ?

There's a BSD core team, and many committers.
Yes, FreeBSD is open source. The BSD licence makes it very easy for FreeBSD code to be used by GNU/Linux. Sometimes GNU code is used in FreeBSD, but the GPL licence makes it difficult.

What does BSD have that Linux doesn't?

A lack of GNU misfeatures.

Like?

Why does BSD attracts cucks so much?

>Use BSD license
Companies steal code, closes it off and tells you to fuck yourself

>BSD User-Developer experience
Literally get hacked by own Project leader

>Placebo security
Un-audited ports, Nothing else runs in BSD without ports

>Compatibility
Some BSD cannot even have non-free codec packs. Not many proprietary software and drivers run on *BSD, specially OpenBSD. Many Realtek and Broadcom devices will never run because of its non-free only drivers.

>NO active development
Except for PC-BSD, there is no live *BSD desktop. OpenBackdoor removed Linux compatibility AND WINE. BSD market share is not rising.

>Less softwares than Linux
Cannot even perform Vt-d virtualization on windows guests. (Good for nothing). Behyve is miles behind KVM/QEMU.

>Community
Non-existent.
Few buttflustered autists that mostly comprise of mactoddlers (OSX is BSD :-DDDDDD).
FreeBSD is actually getting better though. I hope PC-BSD catches on but their primary goal is to fight own BSD counterparts' autistic community.

>Documentation
FreeBSD wiki has a good documentation but lacks contents.

>OpenBSD
OpenBackdoor is specially the meme of BSD community. It;'s a freetard BSD (Not even freetard Linux, that's less autism). No ZFS, no MAC, no jails, no non-free drivers, no non-free codecs, no non-free softwares, no Vt-d virtualization, no Linux compatibility, no WINE, project leader is a hostile autist that never grew out of teenage edge, no security in ports, non-existent community.

I am aware that many people use OpenBSD for nothing more than a router, and for this it indeed ideal. For the use of a router, extended access controls would not provide much benefit. I wrote this argument however because many people seem convinced that OpenBSD has suerior security in all instances and including as a network server or user operating system.

Seriously, who the fuck uses OBSD? It's a niche BSD that isn't for general *BSD use. Just fucking use FBSD.

-GNU user that respects BSD to a point (dislikes the license but can live with it). Honestly, if you're not using GNU or some variant of BSD (preferably not OBSD), you don't deserve to be in Sup Forums.

muh --super -----long --------options

As long as you're ok with shitting on your freedoms.

If you don't like --help, you can always use -h.

At lest my wifi will work in GNU/Linux

BSD is closer to public domain than the GPL is to public domain, therefore is more free.
I don't have a laptop, so I've never been able to test out wifi.

Except the BSD license promotes true freedom compared to GPL.

Freedom of code stealing

> BSD is closer to public domain than the GPL is to public domain, therefore is more free.
that's not how freedom works

It's not stealing, it's a donation, a gift.
It would be stealing if it was under the GPL though.

>Freedom of code stealing

That's an awful way of saying 'code sharing', which is what the BSD license strives to support. GPL is way too restrictive for most developers and GPL v3 is even more of a disaster than the previous revisions.

>Tyrone stole my wife
>"It's not stealing, it's a donation, a gift."
haha

Anarchy isn't true freedom. True freedom is the promotion of free software. The BSD license is the promotion of "use and abuse our code by locking it up in non-free software".

You wouldn't call a society where anyone can do anything they want unrestricted "freedom". Freedom works both ways, and the BSD licenses just pretends to be free and doesn't care about responsibility or freedom itself. It's merely lip service to true freedom.

It's not even about the feeling of someone 'stealing' your code. For the well-being of society all software should be free.

And when I say 'free' you know what I mean.

>le gnaa troll blog image
>le companies steals gifts maymay
>le ports have to be audited to comply the claims about the base install maymay
>muh zfs shit

Nice false analogy, user.

>>le companies steals gifts maymay
>>le ports have to be audited to comply the claims about the base install maymay
>>muh zfs shit
Oh the denial

>Seriously, who the fuck uses OBSD?
People who don't want vulnerabilities in the updater and portsnap of their OS.

Anarchism and communism are one and the same, and yes, anarchism/communism is absolute freedom.

>freedom is only what the MIT kike says it is
No. We can have different conceptions about freedom. BSD license has a negative one.

>People who don't want vulnerabilities in the updater and portsnap of their OS.
Try people who wants no softwares

>"use and abuse our code by locking it up in non-free software"

Except that's not true at all. The BSD license gives you the choice to do whatever you want with the code, so long as you've made modifications to it. The original code is still there, being actively developed, but the developers borrowed some code from it and used it in their own projects. Developers have used BSD licensed software before and GPL'd it, which made it hard to try to cooperate with these developers. GPL is about as bad as any other proprietary license, just slightly less so.

Oh, the irony.

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2016-August/001739.html

LOL

This.
The GPL is barely better than full and absolute copyright. Stallman even says so. He claims you can make money off of GPLed software, which is entirely unethical, and profits are inherently wrong.
However, the BSD licence prevents unethical things like profit.

This article was written by a troll, the guy never actually worked with Theo or any of the developers, it was meant to be satire.

Actually, the code that developers lock in their projects are only their original one wrapped around the BSD one. It just happen to have BSD code.
If the meme of the cuck license was true, then many companies should have win copyright lawsuits against BSD coders and then closing the code of BSD projects completely.
That hasn't happened yet.

>Actually, the code that developers lock in their projects are only their original one wrapped around the BSD one. It just happen to have BSD code.

You pretty much stated what I posted except in a weird, more complicated way. Good job.

If we repeat the same in different ways and forms, perhaps the GPL drones will began to understand our position.
Oh, and I gave a fine example of what should happen if the cuck license meme was true

Yeah, you're right. The original code always remains and it always happens to be more superior than the closed source projects which stem from it. Good example of this would be openZFS but there are other BSD projects which have been involved in other projects, yet still remains useful on its own.

Ok, I'm fucking sick of it now...

As soon as my website starts bringing in da bux, I'm actually serious. I want to try UNIX. For real.

Which is best? FreeBSD or NetBSD?
How easy to rice are they? And are there any good premade gadgets, like Rainmeter for Windows (I can program my own shit, but I'd like this for convenience until I get around to it)?

Also, how good is graphics driver support?

And is there a way to get straight-up System VII? I'd kinda like the closest direct-descendant of AT&T/Bell UNIX, if possible.

Also, how's Solaris? Any good? Or is it shit like everything else developed by Oracle?

I'm in a fucking rage right now.

For reference, after my website, I will be investing in Xeon (probably E5 2699-V3, if it's still the best) processors, a server board, and FirePro W9100 graphics. Will I be able to get the support I need?
Those are the most important

>he likes the commie license

>However, the BSD licence prevents unethical things like profit.
What, lol?

BSD license explicitly states that you can USE the BSD kernel in commercial products and even sell it as part of your system.

Also, there's nothing unethical about profit

Graphics driver support is best on FreeBSD, unfortunately. I myself prefer OpenBSD, but either should be fine.
Solaris is a System V system that's gratis to use. Not sure about quality, people liked OpenSolaris.
For example, a company can use OpenSSH without paying OpenBSD, therefore OpenBSD doesn't unethically make profits off of OpenSSH

> Which is best? FreeBSD or NetBSD?
> How easy to rice are they?
WTF are you talking about. "Rice". Damn it.

>Graphics driver support is best on FreeBSD, unfortunately. I myself prefer OpenBSD, but either should be fine.
K, I'll make note of that

>Solaris is a System V system that's gratis to use. Not sure about quality, people liked OpenSolaris.
Ok.

>For example, a company can use OpenSSH without paying OpenBSD, therefore OpenBSD doesn't unethically make profits off of OpenSSH
Hmmm, ok.

What?

Copy center true freedom to do whatever the hell you want irregardless of whether RMS will sperg out or not.

>real UNIX
>BSD
nice meme
see what the creators of UNIX say about the BSD abortion

thats why it comes with a sound system?

FreeBSD has a HORRIBLE security record.

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

>99% of all free software is shit
>every single piece of free software is inferior to proprietary alternatives
>all software should be free

Retard.

*BSD is generally a whole software package that is designed in a way that everything works perfectly together. There's no systemd mess or anything like that, just clean code that works.

I'm not saying that it's always better but you should try it.

there really isn't any difference between "real UNIX" and Linux at all

You know what doesn't have a horrible security record? Linux master race, that's what.

You sound like a cunt.

you're comparing libre free of charge software to proprietary paid software
as a freetard I could pull the same fallacy by comparing RHEL or other paid libre software to proprietary freeware, which always ships with obligatory shitware and trojans.
and it crashes.

in a more lateral comparison, I'd take gratis libre software over freeware any day

BSD is kinda shitty.
No.
I'm being too kind.
BSD sucks.
Utterly.

OS.

>FirePro W9100
Should work fine but with patches(DRM 4.6).
wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

>tfw i can't figure out sysctl()
im too dumb for this shit

They actually liked BSD. Unix version 8 through version 10 were based on BSD.

this

only rob pike hated it because he's autistic

I like how Sup Forums collectively bitches and moans all day about how shit proprietary software developers are but always brings up the "but companies can steal your code!" argument. Why do you want them to contribute shitty code to your project? Why do you want other people to do your job for you? It's your project, not theirs, get to work.

the BSD license is the equivalent of an academic trashbin

It's a worthless license that you slap on to work that you don't want in the public domain

It fosters no sense of development community, on the contrary it encourages code to be absorbed into proprietary works (see Apple Sony etc).

>Why do you want other people to do your job for you? It's your project, not theirs, get to work.
You've never worked on anything noteworthy obviously since you think a project is supposed to consist of one or few people.
In the real world, peer review and contribution creates quality software while proprietary garbage becomes abandonware if it doesn't get absorbed by a corp

FreeBSD and PC-BSD are very easy to configure if you're familliar with unix-line OSes.... what is your problem other than not understanding how it works?

If windows came from factory without drivers or internet explorer you would be fucked just the same, it doesnt make it better or worse just default

>it's a trashbin
>it encourages work to be absorbed
????

called recycling
it's how you get resources for free

Basically any notable license prevents works from entering the public domain. Public domain is the author releasing all ownership of a work. If they do that they can never reclaim ownership of the work and no one can ever force authors of derivative works to release their works. It's not at all the same as releasing your work under a copyleft license.

As long as it's a licence discussion, BSD is better than public domain at preventing other corporations from patenting the same exact thing you made, since you still own the copyright.
The BSD licence takes away from freedom, but it takes away less freedom than the GPL does.

fucking GPL fags and their cognitive dissonance

the GPL does nothing but take away freedom

a license for software freedom should not be 339 lines long

the funny thing is to contribute to GNU projects you have to go through a bunch of lawyers and shit

Some day I'll try to contribute to GNU to get Hurd done, since I want to see people's reactions when GNU becomes an OS.
But man, GNU really makes things tough. They claim to make portable Unix programs but quietly ignore you if you submit bug reports from a system other than GNU/Linux.

You can't copyright things that already exist in the public domain if it can easily be proven that you did not create the work, it would fall under prior art. What you can do is take works in the public domain and make significant changes to them and then you'd own the new combined work.

i want to see it too but god help you if you want to actually contribute
gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Contributions
so while GNU makes you do this shit, i bet all you have to do to join any BSD is just write good diffs and then eventually they hand you a commit bit

yes and BSD is a step away from that

Permissive licenses basically are like that cool dad from that one comic about the various licenses. You don't need a lawyer to triple check your contributions because there's no possible way for a permissive license to conflict with any other license.

the most permissive licenses are pretty much "do whatever you want, as long as you credit us and don't sue us"

also i missed this little gem
>Please don’t use “win” as an abbreviation for Microsoft Windows in GNU software or documentation. In hacker terminology, calling something a “win” is a form of praise. If you wish to praise Microsoft Windows when speaking on your own, by all means do so, but not in GNU software. Usually we write the name “Windows” in full, but when brevity is very important (as in file names and sometimes symbol names), we abbreviate it to “w”. For instance, the files and functions in Emacs that deal with Windows start with ‘w32’.

the GNU people are deluded

>legal papers
help

Also, I think you also have to have conversations with other committers before you get the bit. I got my diff in OpenBSD without papers though, at least.

They're quite similar but there's an important legal distinction. With a permissive license you still own the copyright. You can decide at any point to change the license on *your* copy of the work to any other license. On the other hand the authors of derivative works cannot change the license of the code they licensed from you unless they modify a significant portion of the work. They can freely add any other license to the work but they cannot remove the existing license.

>You've never worked on anything noteworthy obviously since you think a project is supposed to consist of one or few people.
Not even.

>In the real world, peer review and contribution creates quality software while proprietary garbage becomes abandonware if it doesn't get absorbed by a corp
Then why are you so buttblasted at the prospect of those "garbage" developers not shitting up your project with their shitty code?

>Seriously, who the fuck uses OBSD

People who get paid more than you.

>BSD users
>"""paid"""
hahahahahaha in case you haven't noticed, flipping burgers don't count

>hahahahahaha
christ you're obnoxious

one of the guys in town doing mail relay does

he's in the 1% of the 1% financially though

there might be something to knowing things

FUCK URSELF

I know tons of professionals since, you know, I actually fucking work as a sysadmin, and they wouldn't touch OBSD with a ten foot pole.

>I actually fucking work as a sysadmin
lol ok

me too i actually work as a sysadmin

tools for jobs

what kind of kindergarten are you supporting

hope the vacations are good you sound overworked bruh

folks don't know bout my jails

gautism

I like how quickly you activate your denial mode

>muh denial
i hope to god you're not who i think you are

man, that's 2 sysadmins and one person who claims to know a sysad in 1 thread

finally some recognition

I'm studying system administration on BSDs since GNU/Linux documentation is abysmal.
Check this out:
freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Drivers are kind of a big thing.

>I could pull the same fallacy by comparing RHEL or other paid libre software to proprietary freeware

And you would still lose.

>which always ships with obligatory shitware and trojans

There's nothing wrong with ads or telemetry.

not when you can install them
assuming you can find them

not all hardware is ready for use all the time everywhere i guesss
just ask nvidia at vista
or amd anywhere
or intel with their fucking linux wireless
i know it's ac guys but it's not fucking the theory of life the universe and everything