Hey I am fed up with windows and I am planning to switch to linux...

Hey I am fed up with windows and I am planning to switch to linux. I have no previous experience and I plan to install a more user friendly version.

What should I go for, Ubuntu? Mint? I'm open to suggestions

P.S. I'll be afk for the next 5 minutes. I need to go buy a dvd( to make it bootable) and some
cigars but I'll return.

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxmint.com/download.php
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gentoo

Linux Mint (Cinnamon)
linuxmint.com/download.php

Ubuntu or Fedora with XFCE. Mint is really a "hit or miss" situation where it can be fine on some hardware or really fucking unstable on others.

Mint if you need it to look almost like Windows.
Ubuntu if you don't care about the looks (you can make the desktop Windows-like easily).
Take a look at this to know what you want from an OS: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Don't try to install arch, or gentoo.

I suggest ubuntu 14.04, stable, supported and with a nice interface
everything else has some downside that requires a little expertise to fix
it's not like you can change distro after

>I need to go buy a dvd( to make it bootable) and some
What is booting from a USB stick?

OP here, I'm back.
If I would use my usb stick I would have to format it prior and I find it easier to use a dvd and not having to upload the date on the cloud because I was already going to buy cigars and bread and shit

You'll come back to Windows in no time

>not having to upload the date on the cloud
What?

No I don't mind having to use another user interface. I think I'm going for ubuntu.

>I am planning to switch to linux
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

Why? Are the newer versions of ubuntu unstable ?

OP you are a cutie.

Go for Mint. Easiest transition.

>Why? Are the newer versions of ubuntu unstable ?
systemd-bitching...........................[INCOMING%]

as in I don't want to copy the contents of my usb memory stick on the cloud. I'll have to format the hdd on my machine. I could use the micro sd cards, which I have plenty but I bought the dvd already

>I specified that I'm a novice.
But I understand what are you saying

The latest one (16) has some bugs with the software center. You should either use an older one or mint. I'm using the latest one myself since I'm not doing anything important on it right now.

Ignore that shit, it's an old pasta

>the software center

well I'll download it and write the bootable dvd .I've tried mint on a virtual box in windows .

as an ubuntu 14.04 I can't suggest you to use the new version as I don't use it yet in my main machine.
usually it's better to wait a couple of months before upgrading to a new release for the packages to stabilize, critical bugs being fixed and third party vendors to update installation information for the new version
I actually use ubuntu 16.04 on a toy server and it works very well, systemd it's not bad at all and there are a lot of new packages and new versions of software, just don't see the urgency to upgrade right now

ops, meant to quote

I'm going for mint but thanks

Ubuntu's out of the box interface is more like OSX. Mint's options are more Windows like in appearance.

Another alternative you could try is Ubuntu Mate. Been using it for the past few days and it seems fine, though I haven't been able to get my Korean & Japanese language support working yet.

done, mint is godlike I am so free like those dudes in the ground seeing shadows

any lightweight distros i can use on my old 2013 laptop that wont lag like shit?

Try lubuntu. Everything will probably lag since laptops are terrible unless they have an SSD.

elementary.io

Is there a linux equivalent to MPC HD that works with modern subs and has click to pause on screen ?

I suggest Wen Quan Yi fonts.

You mean mpv? Learn the shortcuts, or use vlc.

mein Neger