/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of March 2016
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>Shill your Xiaomi
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES

News:
New Nokia smartphones and tablets coming in Q4
gsmarena.com/new_nokia_smartphones_coming_in_q4-news-20015.php

Cricket welcomes LG X power and alcatel Streak
gsmarena.com/cricket_welcomes_lg_x_power_and_alcatel_streak-news-20008.php

Huawei Mate 9 appears in leaked renders
gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_9_apparently_pictured_in_leaked_renders-news-20007.php

iPhone 7 range coming with 256GB of storage, no Pro model according to new reports
gsmarena.com/iphone_7_range_coming_with_256gb_of_storage_no_pro_model_according_to_new_reports-news-20006.php

Nexus 'Marlin' scoped by AnTuTu, QHD screen confirmed
gsmarena.com/nexus_marlin_scoped_by_antutu_qhd_screen_confirmed-news-19998.php

LeEco Le 2S (LEX720) With Snapdragon 821 Spotted
gizmochina.com/2016/08/18/new-le-2s/

Xiaomi Redmi 4 & Redmi Note 4 hit TENAA, specs revealed
gizmochina.com/2016/08/17/xiaomi-redmi-4-r/

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Durability test
youtube.com/watch?v=571pu66vEBc

ZTE AXON 7 Review - Flagship Wannabe?
youtube.com/watch?v=uttS1QHrSu8

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=571pu66vEBc
gsmarena.com/apteligent_motorola_is_fastest_to_roll_out_marshmallow_in_the_us_sony_phones_most_stable-news-20027.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is this NetGuard safe to use? I'm stuck with non-root-able phone atm.

V20
New nexus
New sony
Note 7
S7

No budget

Wat do?

First for guns and politics

What's a good choice of mid/high end phone for the UK right now? Pref microSD and headphone jack

>youtube.com/watch?v=571pu66vEBc
shit, Gorilla Glass 5 is less scratch-resistant than 4

>no good phones when i finally got money

Welp. I cry, then. My Windows Phone is on the way out, so I need a replacement ASAP.
Only got 350 eurodosh to spend on a new phone.
Please advise!
Also where in Europe buy phones online?

Those specs of the redmi note 4 seem kinda meh to me. Not many upgrades besides the supposed cpu upgrade.

Yeah I hope that leak is wrong. previous leak said SD625 for the R4 and SD652 for the RN4 which is much better than MTK P10/X20.

> (You)
>Yeah I hope that leak is wrong. previous leak said SD625 for the R4 and SD652 for the RN4 which is much better than MTK P10/X20.

Well I guess there could still be snapdragon versions later on maybe as a pro model. But still besides the cpu there aren't any notable upgrades I feel. i also sincerely hope this time it's of better build quality.

higher your budget by 50 euros and buy a oneplus3

I need a new mobile phone to play Mobius Final Fantasy.

Recommend me a phone that will handle it well.

I'm not entirely sure, but I think I can get an Xperia Z5 Performance for like $250 (with a contract, though)

Is that worth it? I kinda like the look of recent Xperia phones, and it seems like a pretty good deal.

Not in a contract man. Don't be conned.

I must be retarded, cause I can't find it for 399 euro anywhere.

I'm currently living in Japan where my options are basically get a contract or roll the dice on a used phone and MVNO that may or may not work.

I'm pretty sure this is telling me if I switch over from a different carrier I get a huge discount. It offsets the cost of the plan, to some degree

Are there any real downsides to the OnePlus3? I seem to remember discussing updates with a friend and apparently OP don't put out updates terribly often?

Lack of SD card is the reason i won't get one, software updates w ere pretty good iirc though? Though that might be good for chink phones.

The lack of SD card bugs me but it does have 64Gb of storage so I'm alright with that to be honest.

Do Chinkphones update just like a regular Western bought phone or what

Video didnt seem that great on all the reviews, especially stabilization was subpar iirc. Otherwise for the lack of sd and stereo speakers theres nothing better for the price.

I would look to an axon 7 for hw or opo3 for software

I'm about to buy a oneplus 3 next week Sup Forumsuys.
Any last words on whether I should go through with this decision?
I've been using iphones for most of my smartphone life.
And think today is the day I should switch.
Or is the Umi Max more like something I should wait for? (Specs look pretty decent)

guys I have a problem. my redmi note 3 pro (MIUI) keeps closing apps in the background. let's say I'm listening to internet radio while browsing. At some point the music just stops. And while the radio is still visible in the apptray (or whatever that thing is called where you can tab through all your active apps), whenever I try to maximise it it acts as if it had been started from scratch (back to the start menu, loading screen etc.). Any idea what's happening?

I just got this phone a day ago so I might be missing something easy. but at this point I feel like I'm using an old iOS.

their website?

I think that's a battery saving feature of MIUI, should be able to change it in settings.

Is the HTC One 2 a good phone for casual use? (eg. Sup Forums, sms, calling, non-heavy gaming)

Not in stock/no invite/not sucking enough of the cocks?

Guys, my galaxy s3 is locked to a portuguese network. Its quite an old phone and i don't have a budget to buy a new one now. I need the unlock code, can anyone help me get it? i've seen some websites but they're all paid. I've moved to another country and need a new sim
pls help dear anons

do you mean the one M8 or the one mini 2?
the M8 is EOL and only good now if you put CM13 on it.
the one mini 2 has a SD400 which is super gimped and the phone didn't even get any updates and was stuck on 4.4.4 and doesn't even have any 3rd party ROMs.

Install gentoo

See

don't i need to root it to use that? i would root it np but the micro usb entrance is broken, i bought a wireless charger for it... as you can see my life fucking sucks

Dunno if I'm arsed about video desu

My chinkphone prestigio multiphone 7500 has got a virus which downloads apps by itself, takes pics by itself and ads keep popping on the screen even after many factory resets, one guy told me that its ROM is infected, I can't find the firmware for it online and i dont know how to fix it. Can anyone help? Jellybean android

Be real with me, /spg/.
Is there a point to having a tempered glass screen protector? Does it change anything if my phone has Gorilla Glass 4 screen?
I almost never seriously drop my phone and don't carry anything else in my phone pocket.

What benefit would a glass screen protector provide for me?
Can they actually protect phones from otherwise screen-shattering drops?

New Nexus, S7 or Note 7
See chart
And Gorilla Glass 4 was already less scratch resistant than Gorilla Glass 3
HTC 10, S7, Note 7, OP3...
See chart
I've had 4 updates since launch... Sales are halted in Europe until the second week of September.

Check out oppomart

they're for scratches. Nothing will prevent your screen from shattering. Don't believe the marketing hype, your screen will get scratches, they may be tiny but it'll scratch, and if that bothers you then put on the screen protector.

>recommending samsung phones which don't respect freedom, by forcing knox and unrootable devices upon people.

So let's see, my first recommendations are the new Nexus and the HTC 10, what are you talking about faggot?

If you don't care about rooting, Samsung phones are good.

Yeah, I got one or two tiny 2mm scratches for some reason. They don't bother me as much as having another glass pane on my screen.
I guess I won't put glass on my next phone and see how it goes. Thanks!

Thanks, I think that did it. Kinda strange though since the default setting should have battery saving off.

>touchjiz
>good
pick one.

Shit, they claim to give $220 in trade for my 5S.

So it'd basically be $30 to upgrade from an iPhone 5S I've used for 2 years to a new Xperia 5 Premium.

I might have to go for it. I wanted to wait for the Note 7, but this seems pretty good.

Is this a trap?

Is the note 4 edge a good purchase in 2016?

I just picked up the Premium, haven't even peeled off the back plastic yet, waiting for screen protector as I could only find front at my local stores

the phone is absolute cuhrazy especially nice if you have plenty 4k stored and you stream it with dlna, not that you need it, but it feels mustard anyways

if you can get this for that price you mentioned do it man

Hello Sup Forums, I want a phone that has superAMOLED, lte for europe, 5.1' screen, bigger prefered. Thx. Ability to install custom ROM is a must

Why the fuck would you want a screen protector on its sand blasted back ?

Oh nevermind I'm retarded, Premium isn't sand blasted.

Why the fuck did they choose a lesser finish on the Premium model ?

because it's glass and glass is fragile
and the premium isn't assblasted it has a mirror finish, they just come wrapped in plastic that you need to peel off

I'll be upgrading my iphone 6 to a note 7 next week. As someone who's been in the apple concentration camp his whole life, what are some must have-things I could only do on an android?
Also, what color do I get it in?

welcome to the botnet

My xiaomi mi5 arrived today,its my first xiaomi phone,i was thinking about upgrading it to miui 8,is it worth,what about stability?

>glass is fragile
It's much less fragile than you think it is, a screen protector isn't going to do shit when you slam your phone with a hammer because you're a fucking retard.

That said, the mirror finish is ridiculous and someone should be fired for this. I hope you get a matte screen protector for that thing, that's the only way you'll remedy that shitty finish.

there really isnt anything you can do on android that you cant do in a jailbroken iphone or viceversa. its been literally the same shit for the past 2 years.

i like the mirror finish desu senpai

You're a faggot.

I'll be buying one soon too. How do you like it?

>get mirror finish, cover it with plastic protector that takes away the mirror finish

apple should polish their macbooks to cuck some more cash out of people this way

i dunno what kind of person you are to slam your phone with a hammer

but i'll let you know my almost 4 year old z1 is practically in mint condition thanks to tempered glass screen protectors which would take the impact rather than the glass on the phone those times i have been unlucky
they don't even cost 5 bucks on ebay and it's a small investment to keep your pricy things in good condition

People I talk with using my xiaomi mi3 complain about terrible sound quality. Do you think it's something I could fix by replacing microphone? I'm not very concerned about breaking the whole thing.

show tits

>bought a xiaomi redmi note 3 pro 32GB ver. on honorbuy
>forgot shipping insurance
How fucked am I?

Ordered a ZTE Axon 7. Going to sell my GS7 Edge if I like it better. I decided against that when I was considering it a while back, but since then it's become clear to me that I wouldn't be able to upgrade my device at any point in 2017, so I wanted something with more third party dev support, and an unlockable bootloader. Plus, audio is pretty important for me and the DAC + front facing speakers is a big deal for me.

I'm really hoping I can FINALLY be completely satisfied with a device.

So I try to install Xposed via TWRP on my Note 4, but I can't see the Zip file installers.

My phone is encrypted.

Do I need to decrypt it first or is there any way to enter the password via recovery?

Hey I got a Nexus 5x recently.

Should I bother ROMing it? Is there any tangible benefit? Or is it just for ricing?

I appreciate the encouragement. It seems like a stupidly good deal, especially considering how pricy the X Performance is with little difference in specs.

I see I can officially unlock the bootloader, too. That's pretty cool. I've never owned an Android phone so maybe after using it for a bit I could need around with custom roms, or at least install Greenify.

t mobile is getting rid of all its plans, will only sell an unlimited everything plan

>t mobile is getting rid of all its plans, will only sell an unlimited everything plan

unlimited high speed internet ?

i doubt that

Stick with stock but I would root and install Xposed along with a custom kernel like elemental x or Franco

not if it costs 200 bucks a month!

Well its hard to say,it has been my first day overall quite hapy,phone feels premium,runs smoothly and camera has good quality.
Quite happy,i can provide photos later on if you are interested

lmao

What is "big dick?" Supposed to indicate?

not g3. it's a piece of shit.
don't know the others.

can someone give me a rundown on touchwiz and why it's bad?

I've got about $550 to spend and i'm thinking about the S7

Large screen.

I assume its a play on hand size?

touchwiz is good and smooth on s7/s7 edge.

Z3 is fucking great, personally recommend it. Only problem is the flaps covering the charging port can wear off and it has fuckall internal storage

Heh.

Okay cool, thanks!

Buy a magnetic charger on ebay for like 10 bucks and you won't have to wear out the port covers

Despite its relative age, is the Nexus 6P still such a strong phone? I feel like even a year is a long time next to things coming out in the UK soon like the V20 or whatever new Nexus phones we get

Is OnePlus X a good phone?

My girlfriend just replaced her Lumia 620 with a 950 and it's pretty sweet. Price has dropped loads, specs are like a last year flagship and I think its pretty cool.

I have had an HTC One M7 for three years. No case, no screen protector and I've dropped it loads of times. It's covered in scratches because it's aluminum but the scratches always end at the screen. The screen's flawless despite the abuse. That shit's like Gorilla Glass 1 or some shit and it's fine, I'm sure GG4 will be even better.

My smartphone gave up the ghost, and I am thinking about making a smartphone-wifi, dumphone-data/calls combo for the weekdays and smartphone with data for the weekends.

Everyone upgrades their phones constantly, so I'm reluctant to buying a new one and a bit wary from Chinese stuff.

User data:
>Country
Spain
>Carrier
Amena (Orange's network)
>wanted features
1. Being able to install these apps: whatsapp, a chess app, the nytimes and the Guardian, a text editor, a pdf reader (Moonreader).
2. A camera that allows me to take pics of documents.
3.Being able to fit it in some retardedly resistant case, like the otterbox defender, as I want it to last for years to come and I'll eventually drop it.
4. Being able to root it and access to some proper custom ROM.

That's it.

>budget
Below 100 EUR, if possible.

>size
Not an issue.

Please, enlighten me. Or give me a starting point.

Moto E 2nd gen LTE
Moto G third gen 16 GB

My Dad always had a shitty phone. Those given for free with his carrier. Want to give him something better.

User data:
>Country
Spain
>Carrier
Movistar
>wanted features

Nice screen, simple to use (his phone is still running on Froyo), whatsapp and calls

I have developed a few VR Apps so I would love to show them to him in his own phone

>budget

Up to 300 euros

I was thinking about the moto G4, is that an acceptable choice?

Thanks a lot!!

Is LeEco a good company to buy from? I know they're China's biggest TV provider etc but how are their phones?

Good choice senpai, make sure that it's not too big for him.

Thank you!
Could you add more to that list? The more I get in the comparison process the better.

well...you could rice your homescreen and participate in the circlejerk.
iOS and Android can pretty much do the same thing once rooted or jailbroken

I would just go to a store and see which phones have 2 GB of RAM and good ROM support that fits your budget. >Apteligent also measured crash rates and found Sony to boast the lowest app crashes on its phones. Sony smartphones experienced average crash rate of 0.08%, followed by Motorola with 0.09%. Out of the companies analyzed, ZTE is last with 0.28%.
gsmarena.com/apteligent_motorola_is_fastest_to_roll_out_marshmallow_in_the_us_sony_phones_most_stable-news-20027.php

KEK

>no slider keyboard accessories for android

Helio x10 or Snapdragon 810?

How's the Xiaomi Redmi 2 Pro? Does it still holds up to today´s standards?
And before you suggest the Redmi 3 or the Note, I can't afford either.

which to get sony xperia m5, sony xperia z3 or sony xperia z3+/z4 (z3+ and z4 is the same phone)

do phones still need screen protectors?

I've literally never had a smartphone before.

I want one that can: Use Steam's Mobile Chat, and Use an IRC Client of some sort. Playing Music is optional (I use an Ipod Shuffle)

Outside of that, my other main requirement is for it to be as cheap as humanly possible. I get nervous and fidgety when i'm not able to keep up with online stuff that way, but I want to be able to hang out at places other than my house more often, and lugging my laptop around is a pain, especially since I worry it or it's accesory parts will break, so a simple phone with those capabilities would be best.

Could I get a suggestion based on those requirements?

Tempered glass. So you'll spend $4-10 instead of